Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭DvB

We keep the Christmas mat at the hall door and kept the Christmas towels and tea towels in rotation also. The kids keep their Christmas pj's in rotation as well. At the rate they grow makes no sense not to.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 30,493 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Decorations all still up and lighting and currently watching Love Actually.

Candles and outside/window lights iit for the last time tonight.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

And with that the Christmas 2023 season for me comes to a close. Wreath is boxed away again until Nov 29th.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Switched off my tree at the stroke of midnight. 😩

• Registered Users Posts: 6,846 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Took down everything indoors including the tree and the house seems so drab 😢. Outdoor lights were left on for the last night and will come down tomorrow. We had Chinese takeaway for dinner, might do what @Posy suggested and stick some money with the decorations for next year, it’s a great idea. Went for an early morning swim this morning and it was glorious, beautiful and sunny and no rain 😀.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,846 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

We do the same with the tea towels and mugs @BK5. I have a Christmas mug that I bought in Budapest almost 20 years ago and it’s still in use on a daily basis, I just love it and even though it’s really faded I can’t bear to part with it. No one else would dare to use it 😀.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Christmas cushions out all year as they are really comfy.

Himself got "curtain lights" last year, they stay on the wall all year, I'm not a fan of them but he loves them and I can't be arsed arguing over it.

The kids Christmas PJs stay in rotation but I will take the eldest ones out of rotation and put them up during the summer....the youngest ones are worn until they fall apart/too small.

The tree is still up and neither of us has mentioned taking it down. It has often stayed up all January as January was my busy month work-wise, including weekends etc. I'll probably do it when kids are in school, during the week. It will take forever otherwise.

The tree is the MIL so I'm thinking decades old rather than years ....still standing 😂

I had a couple in my old house I know I definitely left one behind in the attic (huge with flocking not ideal with young kids) not sure if the others came with us 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Another frosty one this morning, coming downstairs this morning the house looks so bare

I keep my Christmas mugs and plates out all year

I only said the same to my other half yesterday that our Christmas tree is going strong I actually bought it in Superquinn when we lived in an apartment, it was always too big for an apartment but there was no telling me

Thats a great tip @Posy boxes are quite handy in the attic so might grab a nice festive envelope stick €50 in it for a November treat

Just home from our junior park run which was cancelled at the last minute as the course was too slippy. Its baltic out this way... well minus 3 anyway... May just go for a walk now as I'm up.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Only a couple of little items not packed away. One year old has taken a real liking to a musical snow globe so might leave it out for her. Other than that everything will be packed away today and waved away until next Christmas.

Post edited by Smell the glove on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Back to work proper tomorrow but absolutely no fear or depression here. After being off since December 15th it's time to get back to some normality. I have a day booked off in two weeks and then the bank holiday two weeks after that, two weeks after that another day booked off and then 3 wks later is Patrick's Day weekend so it's a nice broken up start to the year for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

The New Bank holiday is great it really helps lift the spirits

Trying to gear myself up to head out I need a trip to the chemist to nip this cough in the bud Manuka honey not working so far,

Think we will get the stove lit shortly, roast beef today with all the trimmings

• Registered Users Posts: 9,475 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Definitely a day for the fire later. Left the house in Lucan and there was a heavy fog, ice and the temperature was -0.5c.

Over in my Mum's now near Dun Laoghaire and it's blazing sunshine and 6c!!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

So icy this morning. Trying to get the little lad to soccer stars this morning was a challenge.

Love the fresh mornings and the clear skies at night are magic. Nothing better than on a cold night looking up at the stars. Very peaceful.

Was clear, crisp and cold when we went for a walk earlier, over in my inlaws in Baldoyle now and it's lashing rain. But warmer than home.

My old haunt Baldoyle although I only moved around the corner from there 😂

Love Baldoyle tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭BK5

Wife's from Coolock and a lot of her family still live around that area of North Dublin. Worked on sites in Baldoyle, Swords, Malahide, Glasnevin and near the airport so for a Meath man, I know it well.

Going to bring the family out to a nice restaurant in a couple of hours. 5 adults to feed, so Dad will be giving out about the cost of eating out in Ireland on here in a few hours time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I made a big pot of soup earlier for my work lunches during the week. I love eating whatever takes my fancy over Christmas, but I do miss my healthy food, so I'll be kinda glad to get back to my normal eating. Looks like it'll be the weather for soup the next two weeks anyway. Love these cold crisp but bright and sunny days. They're my favourite winter weather days.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Waaah, my house is horrible and bare, and there's glitter and pine-needles everywhere! 😩

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭antimatterx

• Advertisement

Just putting the bins out and noticed 2 houses on our Street with their decorations up and lit.

Ours still going strong and I can see at least two other houses with theirs going too!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

On the way home from services this morning - smally number 1 started - “mom and pop, I know we have had the Feast of the Epiphany and Christmas is technically over but once the weather is wintry can we PLEASSSSSEEE keep the decorations up???”

Smally Number 2 (bit young to get it) joins in. PLEASSSSEEEEE???

I look over at Mom - we say in unison “Oh...ok then!!!”

Cue cheers from the back of the car !

So, all down to Met Eireann now !

Good few still up here too. I imagine a lot will take them down when school restarts tomorrow.

Well we've lost one, not sure about the other as curtains have been pulled!!!

God my driveway is so dark without the outdoor lights. People who still have their lights up are saints!

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭BK5

Live in a circle of about 35 houses around a green space and only 1 house lit up this evening. 😒

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

Met my best friend for dinner this evening and the dessert menu still had Christmas pudding and mince pies on it 😁 Saw about 3 houses with decorations still up on my drive home.

We put ours up in the attic this afternoon...sitting room looks so bare!

• Advertisement

Just polished off the last of the baileys whipped cream with a heated mince pie... last of the rum stollen gone too... 😢

Other than the pudding, half a dozen mince pies, and an ordinary marzipan stollen we're nearly done with the Christmas treats.

Advertisement