Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,475 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I'm doing Moist January this year.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭tscul32

There's. Bit if snow due to falling the early hours even over North County Dublin tonight. Be great if it happens 😁😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭tscul32

Didn't happen ☹️

• Registered Users Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Car needed defrosting again this morning... doesn't feel as cold as yesterday though. Have hurling training tonight so hoping it stays calm & dry for that.

WFH today & whilst I haven't got the post Christmas blues this year at all am tempted to catch up on a few Christmas podcasts I'm way behind on... had originally planned on leaving them to build up until later in the year but that doesn't always work out the greatest as I run out of time to listen to them at all.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Definitely not as cold this morning...minimal amount of frost here & thankfully the roads are dry. Looking forward to getting out for a walk at lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

-6 here at 07:00

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

We were due a bit of snow last night here in Sligo but if it fell it was gone by 7.30! It's not as frosty looking as yesterday morning but I believe there's a bit of black ice out there, there were a couple of local accidents reported on the radio earlier.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I know I was up at 2am heating up a bottle for the wee man hoping for a snow shower to watch and nadda

today is the first day I don’t have a Christmas podcast in my playlist. It truely marks the transition to out of season for me.

The Christmas podcasts tend to up their output in December when I’m too busy to listen to them so it’s great having them brightening up the January walks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Speaking of podcasts I'm looking for some new ones as I'm going for a lot more walks. Any recommendations?

A couple of news I've tried over the last while (all politics related)

Political currency - UK focused political podcast with George Osborne and Ed Balls. They did a two parter recently on how the 2010 UK coalition was formed. Great episode.

Path to Power - A new Irish focused political podcast with Ivan Yates and Matt Cooper. I've always enjoyed Ivan as a broadcaster so this is great.

Inside Politics - Irish Times - A more general podcast about what's going on at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

If you have not already, work your way through the back catalog of the Critter Shed podcast. Its a dublin based Nature podcast - mostly about wild life in ireland.

I really like the Indo Daily, Crime World and Murder with my husband.

Truly Criminal and the criminal makeup are great too.

Shagged married annoyed is a good light hearted comedy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

-5 this morning walking into work. Really enjoyed it. I said it already but pity this weather is wasted in January. Imagine this for the whole month of December. I defrosted the car for the missus at 5.45 and it was frosted over again by 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭BK5

Bit of oul sleety stuff here in east Meath, we'll call it a little bit Christmassy 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 9,475 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I'll second the Indo Daily. Some really interesting topics covered in it occasionally.

It certainly didn't feel as cold today as yesterday. I was out for a walk at 6am but it was lovely and still, albeit heavily frosty. No ice though. By the time I was walking the kids to school at 8.30, it seemed a wee bit warmer.

Turned out an absolute belter of a winter's day with some nice sunshine, very little wind and dry!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Tell you what folks it's bloody cold this morning... car says -4 and it feels that and more. Icy out this way so be careful on roads and footpaths.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Chilly enough alright. No short sleeves for 5am runs this week.

-2 here. Being that bit closer to the coast stops it from getting too cold. Apps are saying it feels like -6

Paths and roads are frosted over but not too icy thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Jude13

Europe wide cold snap. My folks were meant to fly out to me this morning via Frankfurt and their flights were canceled due to snow in Frankfurt.

• Advertisement

Cold one here this morning - all the windows of the house have a layer of ice on them. Roads were just ok doing the school drop off - around these parts, it all depends on who you meet on the road or who is coming behind you. Thankfully the car behind me had the sense to keep well back & I only met one car coming the opposite way.

Still the sun is shining which is lovely to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

Water in the stables was frozen today. First time I've seen that in years, ponies warm out with their winter rugs on.

Ground is properly frozen now so the cold is coming up through the feet, leeching warmth out

Also without it being humid it is taking longer to realise how cold it is, but when you do it's REALLY cold

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Hi all, we got snow!! Not a huge amount but I was like a child at Christmas gawking out the window this morning. I went to put stuff in the bin at about 8.30 and there were a few small soft flakes falling but got heavy about 9.30 for a while. Unfortunately no more forecast until tomorrow afternoon but this will be all melted by then I'd say. It was -2 when I woke up and for most of the morning, a balmy 1 degree now ❄️

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Went for a swim at lunchtime, the water is the coldest it’s been this winter at about 7.5 degrees. Beautiful though especially with the sun shining.

Wow. I can’t even handle a cold swimming pool let alone the sea on a day like today.

Nice to have an ice cold sea near by. I do not have a room for an ice bath. Nor do I fully trust the quality of the public water around Maynooth/Kilcock. So the closest I have to cold therapy is running around Donedea Forest at 5am in the morning on a winter morn.

My 2 year old now knows the first two lines of shaking Steven’s merry Christmas everyone without any help.

To say I’m proud is an understatement 😂😂

my wheelie bins are already frozen over! Can’t believe it’s minus 2 already!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

He has great taste 👌

My little one said the whole of December “it’s my favourite” or “I love this song” I will happily remind her but you love this song for years to come 😂

We headed back to our toddler group yesterday and little one wanted to know if Santa Claus was going to be there she hasn’t been back since the toddler group Christmas party 😂

Gorgeous day today we visited the farm and rambled around all wrapped up for an hour

The fire is making me sleepy this evening

Advertisement