Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Caranica wrote: »
    Says someone who doesn't have to travel far at Christmas. I'm still deeply scarred (to the point of bursting into tears just thinking of it) by being stuck in Dublin for Christmas 2010. Especially this year I need to be with family.

I'm pretty sure DvB has his own Christmas 2010 snow story :D

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience and hopefully next time will be a bit happier.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Says someone who doesn't have to travel far at Christmas. I'm still deeply scarred (to the point of bursting into tears just thinking of it) by being stuck in Dublin for Christmas 2010. Especially this year I need to be with family.

Correct, this one year thanks to covid I dont have to travel far :(

Not getting into tit for tat as thats not my thing at all, but trust me the winter of 2010 was far from easy for me or my Mrs either, she was expecting twins and we were in & out of Holles Street regularly with some scary moments driving in at all hours so trust me when I say I know how stressful travel can be in poor weather and I hope never have to do it again (drive in such dodgy conditions)

Personally I'm not a fan of snow anyway, its great for a bit when playing with the kids but because we're not used to it as a country we aren't set up to deal with it & we come to a grindling (or should that be slippery) stop pretty quickly ala 2018.

All I'm saying is that given the year its been and the fact we'll not be able to see 90% of our family (most travel home from the UK, Canada & Australia and the older ones are cocooning so we'll see none of them) it would have suited us for this one year to have snow for that picture postcard christmas feel as no other year would I even entertain wanting it.

So I'm sorry if I caused you any upset, it was not my intention to anger/upset anyone.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Mutleyboo wrote: »
    Congrats SarahLil! I've had a lot of catch up to do on this forum.. real fun times ahead! Make this Christmas extra special!

Awh thanks Mutleyboo x

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Jude13

I'd love a snow, if I was in Ireland, stuck here sadly. In 2010 my 14 hour two flight trip became a 36 trip with massive layover, then landed in shannon and not Dublin. That added another 6 hours to the trip. Train to Dublin, taxi to 2km from home as the snow was bad, then had to lug my 32kg suitcase 2km in the snow. Still a very memorable Christmas.

This year we have ill relatives whom we will most likely not see again due to covid, so for me, snow would be the lesser evil.

Just having a quick break on here, I am off today and I am keeping on top of the cleaning/tidying and decluttering at home so I don't have a huge amount do when the tree goes up and the run up to the big day

I don't know if its the pregnancy but jobs I normally dislike are not bothering me I dread starting them but when I get going I can do bit more, I just find it easier to keep on top of things regularly rather than leave it to a big clean if you know what I mean, I find if Ive too much on I get overwhelmed

I'll be on another level once I hit up the Christmas tunes while getting the house ready

Grey skies where I am I hope the clear off I want to get out for some fresh air

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

Just in from a walk and saw a house with a door and windows garlands, sleigh and reindeer lights outside and some Santa figurines on their window sill :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

DvB wrote: »
    Correct, this one year thanks to covid I dont have to travel far :(

Not getting into tit for tat as thats not my thing at all, but trust me the winter of 2010 was far from easy for me or my Mrs either, she was expecting twins and we were in & out of Holles Street regularly with some scary moments driving in at all hours so trust me when I say I know how stressful travel can be in poor weather and I hope never have to do it again (drive in such dodgy conditions)

Personally I'm not a fan of snow anyway, its great for a bit when playing with the kids but because we're not used to it as a country we aren't set up to deal with it & we come to a grindling (or should that be slippery) stop pretty quickly ala 2018.

All I'm saying is that given the year its been and the fact we'll not be able to see 90% of our family (most travel home from the UK, Canada & Australia and the older ones are cocooning so we'll see none of them) it would have suited us for this one year to have snow for that picture postcard christmas feel as no other year would I even entertain wanting it.

So I'm sorry if I caused you any upset, it was not my intention to anger/upset anyone.

Sorry to hear you had a stressful snow time then too. Hope it all ended up well.

I'm from a small town that's very high up so we got a lot of snow growing up. As a January child I had more birthday parties cancelled than actually go ahead. I guess it turned me against snow from an early age.

I'm going home as early as I can this year, haven't seen the family anywhere near as often as I'd like to have.

SarahLil wrote: »
    I don't know if its the pregnancy but jobs I normally dislike are not bothering me I dread starting them but when I get going I can do bit more, I just find it easier to keep on top of things regularly rather than leave it to a big clean if you know what I mean, I find if Ive too much on I get overwhelmed

I want to say the term is 'nesting'?! i.e. doing lots of house cleaning/jobs when pregnant.

TRS30 wrote: »
    I want to say the term is 'nesting'?! i.e. doing lots of house cleaning/jobs when pregnant.

Yeah I was thinking that myself :) but I thought that happens near the due date, not due till March 3rd

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Scoondal wrote: »
    I have 2 kids ... 4 and 9. This is November. They keep mentioning Christmas and I say that it is November. Is it TV or what ?
    I remember as child thinking about Christmas - a lot ! - pretty soon after All Saints day !

• Advertisement

5eKtHK0.jpg

Percy Pig Christmas trees, M&S Omni.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Dunnes christmas trees in a pot...

Sorry to hear you had a stressful snow time then too. Hope it all ended up well.

It did indeed, they both turn 10 in January! :)
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Mutleyboo

SarahLil wrote: »
    Yeah I was thinking that myself :) but I thought that happens near the due date, not due till March 3rd

It can hit at any stage, I was like you, got the cleaning and decluttering bug early enough and was so thankful as i was wrecked come the last month plus when I did try close to due date the amount of door handles and cupboard corners I got jabbed with was unreal, constant bruising on my belly!

Mutleyboo wrote: »
    It can hit at any stage, I was like you, got the cleaning and decluttering bug early enough and was so thankful as i was wrecked come the last month plus when I did try close to due date the amount of door handles and cupboard corners I got jabbed with was unreal, constant bruising on my belly!

The amount of times I came home to see my very heavily pregnant wife up on a chair, table etc :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭tscul32

As a January child I had more birthday parties cancelled than actually go ahead. I guess it turned me against snow from an early age.

We live in dublin along the coast so rarely see much snow. I remember 1982, best winter ever. Then I remember 2010 because we had to cancel our son's 5th birthday party due to the ice. That was a very strange thing to have to do where we live.
    I'd love to see just a little bit at Christmas, even just a cold Christmas would do. I hate when it's too warm to have the big blazing fire. I mean, we do it anyway but end up opening windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭screamer

I live very high up in the countryside, we have our own climate really. Christmas morning for the past number of years has always been white with frost, burning off around midday, but lovely for going out to Christmas morning mass with the kids, always so festive.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Mutleyboo

screamer wrote: »
    I live very high up in the countryside, we have our own climate really. Christmas morning for the past number of years has always been white with frost, burning off around midday, but lovely for going out to Christmas morning mass with the kids, always so festive.

Sounds bliss!

Love it Screamer my sort of Christmas morning

More cleaning this afternoon except in my mams, we have to get her place ready for the decorations and big day, its good feeling on top of things :)

Just wondering does anyone put those artificial picks into their Christmas trees you know the likes of ferns, etc, glittery ones etc,
    I am a bit torn I seen some nice ones in Dunnes and on a fabulous tree on Facebook last night it was so gorgeous don't know what to do

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

So Westbury have cancelled their afternoon teas and The Shelbourne are running competitions for theirs?? Rumours abound that indoor dining will be allowed so who knows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

My lights came from McDs today so reorganised my tree. Gonna do my outside decorations next week.

Lashes28 wrote: »
    My lights came from McDs today so reorganised my tree. Gonna do my outside decorations next week.

Oooh that's after making me happy!!! :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Oooh that's after making me happy!!! :):)

Lol I can't tell you how happy they make me... I bought nutcrackers in homesavers too today. It's begining to look like Xmas ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 6,846 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I really have a case of the Christmas “feels” today. I had a classical Christmas playlist from Spotify on all afternoon. The joys of working from home - no office grinch to say “it’s too early “. I have the week off next week so will be putting up the tree then. Also, I ordered 2 sets of large candy cane lights for the garden and a set of dangling lights for the tree in the garden. Definitely in the mood for it now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,319 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Like the McDonald's festive menu, only got it the other day, ordered a medium and a happy meal which was on offer through the app (€8) and they forgot to put in the medium fries. Suppose I was being a glutten anyway haha. Looking forward to tasting the celebrations mcflurry

Seems a bit of positivity around and let's hope Xmas indoor pints will be possible

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Jude13

fal la la la laaa, la la la la!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Went to Musgraves yesterday with the company credit card and bought two trees, three large sets of tree lights and a heap of other decorations.
    You can't beat getting paid to do that kind of work :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Absolutely beautiful!!

Was chatting to our receptionist in work on MOnday & the subject of people putting up trees early this year came up, she was wondering if we should bother this year with the office one as 90% of the staff are WFH at the moment, I said I thought we should put it up as it would be nice for the people that are coming in to see it on their way to their offices, lo & behold, I could see coming in this mornign that the boxes containing the tree & decorations are out of storage, so I suspect our work tree will be going up soon!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

DvB wrote: »
    Was chatting to our receptionist in work on MOnday & the subject of people putting up trees early this year came up, she was wondering if we should bother this year with the office one as 90% of the staff are WFH at the moment, I said I thought we should put it up as it would be nice for the people that are coming in to see it on their way to their offices, lo & behold, I could see coming in this mornign that the boxes containing the tree & decorations are out of storage, so I suspect our work tree will be going up soon!!

Yeah was actually thinking about that the other day - there's only one or two people in our office every day now, most people only in one day a week, so there's hardly a point putting up a tree.....but maybe I'll do it one day to surprise people! Would be nice to come in and see something festive, as you say.:)

Advertisement