Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Hope everyone survived the storm last night with minimal damage. We had a couple of really heavy things take flight but beyond that, we were ok. Electricity didn't cut out which we were surprised about - it normally goes off at the slightest gust of wind.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

wasn’t too bad where I was thankfully. I know the west got it bad tho. So hopefully as is well for everyone living in the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Our electricity did go last night at about 9:30. It's a very regular occurrence out my way, and has been raised by local politicians and councillors. I went into the office today, just in case, but it came back around 9 this morning. Last summer it was gone for nearly 22 hours, so at least it's an improvement!

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

All good here. No power cuts and no roof damage.

Solar panels got tested for stability and held up, thank the flying spaghetti monster

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

A MASSIVE noticeable change in how bright the morning and evenings felt today.

Felt such like a spring day today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,267 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Was in Sligo today, roads were fine but debris everywhere. Lads down there said they took some battering.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Another dull, rainy day with another storm on the horizon. Finally took the last of our Christmas decs down. Had planned to leave up my garland on the mantle piece but realised that I hadn't lit it in about a week so I decided to let it go. Sitting room feels very bare now.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

We sure did, lots of trees down around the county and a few schools still closed today due to no power still. Thankfully no damage here other than a few bits of the pavement in the garden coming up and a plant pot I had at the front door was unplanted, lol. The plant and soil was still there, the little pot nowhere to be seen. I think I spotted it in a ditch about 2kms out the road yesterday evening 😂

Very dull today. The rest of the week looks ok weather wise tho so there that!

My favourite memory of storm damage was back in 2021 really windy storm and 2 of my wheelie bins took off and headed off down the road.

The ring camera caught them and they looked like two old pals heading off for a walk together side by side down the road together. I had forgotten to tie them down as our first elf was only a week old at the time so we were in the mist of being shell shocked from lack of sleep.

• Advertisement

Think of the extra space as a chance for a fresh start to the new year. I’m at the stage I’m ready to let Christmas 2023 go now. Definitely past the longing for it phase.

Still excited for Christmas 2024 but looking forward to Feb and beyond.

Got over Christmas 2023 surprisingly quickly this year, I think being so busy in work has forced me to keep looking forward rather than backwards. Already looking forward to what is hopefully a nice summer. Then come September I can start to really enjoy the build up to Christmas 2024.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Same here. Christmas 2023 is now just a dot in the rear view mirror.

This year, I think January seems to be going by at a normal pace, last year, it seemed to last forever! I'm not sure what that means for how quick the rest of the year is going to go though.

Honestly I’ve given up on Irish weather coming good for us. But the bright evenings will be welcomed for sure.

Yes, I have started to put it behind us & looking forward to the rest of the year. Think it helps that it is almost the end of January already & it went by surprisingly quickly. Looking forward to the bank holiday now & the midterm. Still clinging on to a hope that we might get a night away soon too.

Weather has gone from dull to poxy here, lashing out & very gusty. Every so often I look out the window and can see the rain being blown sideways. It's to get much worse tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭BK5

Just back from being out with the dog and it is wild n windy out there. Hope my recycling bins contents don't end up all over the estate.

Stay safe everyone.

I think this storm is to pass much quicker than the last one so hopefully no damage to your bins or their contents.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,491 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I was taking down the final of the decorations on Sunday.(I know). I've no idea what I was thinking when I bought this.

Were you thirsty for a cuppa when you bought it?

I'm not really inro tea/coffee tbh. I think it looks like something Hyacinth Bucket would have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,950 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

Lunchtime walk was a breezy affair, lots of branches and weakened trees were down after the softening up over the weekend.

Calmed right down now thankfully

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭BK5

"China in your hand" 😄😄

You'd have to be of a certain vintage to know what I'm talking about here.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I have a teacup decoration too but it's Chip and I have a matching Mrs Potts from Beauty and the Beast. I suppose they are not particularly Christmasy either but sometimes something just catches your eye!

Between the 1st and 24th of December feels like a few days compared to the 1st to 24th January. Which feels like months.

I thought January went by fairly quickly; but you are right, it does feel like a lot longer since Christmas Eve & yet it was only this day last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Got paid today at long last. December pay is always a week early, so 5 weeks or so between pay days feel like hell

This is so true and January has moved at a good pace but my god December went by so quickly.

I'm the same, I think January has gone by pretty quickly, although there's still a week left! No other month goes by as fast as December, that's always a blink and you'll miss it month.

I don't get paid until tomorrow, but we got our pay slips today. Nice to see the tax changes kick in.

• Advertisement

Same. Got a few Bob into the account today thankfully, alas it just rests there briefly before departing again to pastures new.

Advertisement