Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,491 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think why January is slow is because in December you are focused on the 25th which id basically over three weeks. Then you are busy doing stuff which speeds up the time.

I sort of feel the days after Christmas in December sort of work into January also which makes it kind of longer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Yeah, it's really all about perception isn't it. Like the week leading up to a holiday is all anticipatory and a 10 day holiday will fly by a lot more than 10 miserable rainy days at work!

I didn't find January too bad this year, but it's still a bit of a slog. Even getting paid today I was thinking 'there's still another full week until February!' Roll on the bank hol. 😁

April this year is a funny one- Easter will be over and all by the 2nd!

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

Wooh, February Imbolc Bank holiday on the way

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Best thing to happen to Ireland in years. It really breaks up the period from new years to paddy’s day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Now if could have a July or September one we'll be laughing

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,267 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I just want it to be Friday evening... what a bloody week.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Hahahahah I tried out politics in the last election. Never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I'm off next Monday and Tuesday(using up some January leave)without realising the week after is the bank holiday. I love a run of short weeks especially when they're unexpected 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 16,950 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Late September and November get my vote, the summer months are somewhat bearable with more daylight hours.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Going from 1st August to 31st October (potentially) is a three month gap between bank holidays. I always think it feels like they are closer because there's only one month between them when actually it's now the longest gap between holidays.

The + 3 and a half months until the first bank holiday of the year was always the real kicker though!

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭BK5

Thank Crunchie it's Friday.

Had to go into work both days last weekend so this the 12th morning in a row I've had to get up and out. Looking forward to a takeaway and a couple of beers tonight and am doing very little else over the weekend.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,267 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Funnily enough I always find with it being the end of summer & the kids going back to school, we're so busy it doesn't feel that long of a gap. At 12 weeks you'd think it would feel long but for me anyway it always seems to move at a pace, us entering double digits on the countdown on 17th Sept helps though as we all know how fast time seems to go after that. It was always the new year, Jan/Feb into March gap that felt a real drag. Thanks St. Brigid!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭pigtail33

There's a real feeling of Spring in the air today. The sun seems so much brighter than mid Winter, although it's still pretty cold, especially when you're in the shade. I've seen a few daffodils, not far from blooming too.

Thank Crunchie it's Friday, the last one of January. This time next week, we'll all be in Bank Holiday mode!

That's twice today I've forgotten about the bank holiday next weekend!

The Aug to Oct gap never bothered me as usually by then I'd have a good break and bank holidays under my belt and the weather is nicer.

The Jan-March gap felt so long after the come down after Christmas and the dark dreary weather never helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,491 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Don't kill me please!

I had to double check the calendar before I posted that! I still haven't got used to having one in Feb, although I'm definitely not complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

My daffs have been up since Christmas.... overachievers 😂

• Advertisement

I noticed mine peeking up just before Christmas, but there's no flowers on them yet, the cold last week probably shocked them a bit!

I've pictures of the first few in bloom on Christmas Eve.

I thought last week's frost and storms would finish them off but still going strong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭tscul32

January does seem like it's been going for quite a while now, but there's only 2 weeks until the school mid term break!! And the bank hol in between.

My last 6hr online lecture tomorrow, taking the second half in the car on the way to Derry. And the littlest elf has his secondary school entrance exam tomorrow morning 😱

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

Just looked into my annual leave and it turns out that I have 20 days to use up by April. Will make these days pass easier

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

My paternity leave officially finished up yesterday. At the moment I’m feeling more grateful that I had the time than sad it’s over.

That might change come Wednesday when the mid week slump hits 😂😂

At least next weekend is a 3 day weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,475 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I'm actually stunned we're at the end of January. The month has flown by, primarily because work has been so busy. Unfortunately I've spent about half that time with HR dealing with multiple disciplinary issues so it's been bloody stressful. Thankfully there's light at the end of the tunnel with the disciplinary processes coming to an end. 🤦

Can't wait for next weekend. Elf #2 turns 9 next Saturday so I'll finish up early on Friday, kick back, have the birthday on Saturday and then a nice family celebration on Sunday. No work the next day. Yay!

I'm raging though the Superbowl isn't next Sunday. They've moved it a week later the last couple of years so it doesn't coincide with our new bank holiday. 😤

Tree getting packed away. I just noticed the price tag on it.

A 7 1/2 foot deluxe noble tree was bought in Roches Stores for 49.95.

Nah I take it all back, I'm sad it's over.

For me I just know I'm a better Dad, husband, friend, etc when I'm not working, the stress and chaos nature of work takes me out of so many moments. This is why Christmas is so important to me, it's time when we actually get to be present in the moment, I know it's cliched and used in a movie but I find it so true, "At Christmas time we are the kind of people we hope we would be all year."

I really need a lotto win haha.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Good luck with your first day back. Sorry to hear work stresses youbto that extent, would a little job search be something to look at? You'll have more control over that than a lotto win 😁

Advertisement