Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭pigtail33

The small ones are only €1 in Tesco! I think they call them medium, but they're the size of what always used to be considered small.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

We used to get Good Friday off but we were taken over & now we don't get it any more.

I'm taking a few days off from Spy Wednesday & not back until the Tuesday. I take parental leave on Thursdays so I'll take the following Friday off too so will have two nice long weekends in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭BK5

Oh my christ!!!

It's just been announced that they are going to make a Gavin & Stacey Christmas special this year.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Wow!! Oh I hope it'll be good one, sometimes they can drag the ar$e out of things and take the good out of it. But I did enjoy the previous special 🎅

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Considering they left the last special on a cliffhanger they had to follow up on it, hopefully it's as good as the last one was.

• Advertisement

I think I remember having this discussion with you last year! We're the same, we used to get it off, but then the policy changed and we now have to work it. That was over 10 years ago and I'm still bitter about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,267 ✭✭✭✭DvB

We discussed it earlier on the TV thread.

Oh my Christ is right!!😆

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭tscul32

Yesterday was gorgeous. Myself and a friend brought our two eldest elves to grangegorman to check out the TU Dublin campus, as both have TU courses on their CAOs. I really felt my age, what with my baby becoming an adult and all that, would love to be back in my carefree college days.

We had American style buttermilk pancakes with bacon eggs and maple syrup for a late brekkie today and the batter for the more traditional English pancakes is in the fridge for supper. Those will be with sugar and lemon or choc spread and banana, whatever anyone wants. We enjoy pancake Tuesday. Well, eating them, anyway, cooking them for hungry teens isn't so much fun as they take ages.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I had pancakes, syrup and blueberries for lunch today and then pancakes with strawberries and nutella when I got home at 8pm.

There's still some batter left. Better dispose of it tomorrow. 👀

• Advertisement

Next year Pancake Tuesday will be on March 4th and I've already decided I'm going to take the day off. 😁

Good Friday off work here too, so it's a nice little 4 day weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭StevenToast

So when our 9 month old gets tired and cranky and needs a nap, I am tasked with rocking her to sleep...

And she will cry and cry until i start singing jingle bells or Rudolph the red nose reindeer....then fast asleep.......ill probably be still doing it in the middle of July in 30 degree heat!

Christmas baby songs still blaring in the car also....she loves them!

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Happy Love Day, one and all! Not a day I particularly buy into but sure the kids were all excited. Little fella was so excited this morning I think he thought it was Christmas because he said "we normally go into the sitting room altogether, don't we"...God bless him, he's shocking cute when he wants to be 😂

Ash Wednesday as well..so we've been & gotten our ashes nice & early.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Happy vASHentines Wednesday everyone!

I just finished off the batter here. Made another flipping 16 pancakes. Elves all delighted though. Eldest working on two Leaving Cert projects through the mid term break so I'm happy enough to keep him going with junky treats.

This day next month is Paddy's Day folks, so it will be here in 2 weeks ha ha.

Anyone any plans for the weekend? Enjoy it no matter what you're doing.

I’m down in the homeland showing off the baby and visiting my poor mam who’s in hospital.

A real milestone that, showing off your new baby, lovely.

All the best to your mother, get well soon Mammy Loughc.

Hope Mammy Loughc will be back home soon to enjoy the time with her grandson.

• Advertisement

Thanks folks! Long road of recovery for mammy Loughc but as soon as she’s better we’ll be back down with the baby. Hopefully she’s been out by Mother’s Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,267 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Ah, fingers crossed everything works out for your family @Loughc

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Sending best wishes for a speedy recovery for your mom @Loughc 🤞.

Ah I'm sorry to hear that, Loughc. Fingers crossed she's out and on the road to recovery, even if it looks to be a long one, very soon. xx I'll bet she can't wait for a proper visit from the two lads!

Thanks again folks. Thankfully our two year old was able to send her a little video to say hi and that he’ll see her soon. She was delighted with it.

She got a refurbished iPhone for Christmas so she’s texting everyone like a teenager 😂

but she can get loads of pictures from us all now

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

Right now I am overseeing a bunch of kids taking apart an absolute stack of old damaged bikes and individually cleaning all the parts with toothbrushes and the like. They are surprisingly focused on it. The plan is to use as many parts as possible to build working bikes that we will spray paint entirely black and gift to people who need them. The first of which - in the spirit of a book we once read - we are thinking to donate to a bully my daughter has recently acquired.

But the rest will likely go to sick or needy children somehow. Haven't entirely worked out the details on who will get them yet. Not even sure how many complete working bikes I can build from the parts yet. But I am heartened by the sheer number of donated junk we got. Was a lot more than I expected when we came up with the project.

Have a friend who's mother (80) just had a fall and a hip break. So also looking at a lengthy hospital recovery. Hospitals don't seem to be the most wonderful places to spend an eleongated, mostly bed confined, recovery time though. We are currently working on ideas to make the stay better - so throw any ideas out you might have.

Are hospitals the only option in Ireland for long term recovery like that? Or are there private options or similar you can opt for that might be more social and stimulating or comfortable? Friend doesn't seem to have heard of any yet and the nurses and the doctors have not mentioned alternative options to him either.

I’ll be honest I’m only concerned about my mother getting better and not the inner workings of the entire health department in Ireland and its many flaws.

They may not be the best place for prolonged stays but they are the best place certainly for my mam to recover. Their care and the staff have been nothing but exceptional and we owe them a massive debt of gratitude.

There are rehabilitation hospitals in Ireland, anyway. St Josephs hospital up the road from me in Raheny is used as a rehabilitation hospital for Beaumont Hospital patients.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

Thanks muchly, I will pass on the recommendation. He is alas not in the right head space just yet to do much research himself. Give it a few days I guess. Shocks all around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Isn't there a big rehab place in dun Laoghaire or Blackrock.....I think it might be for major accidents though.

Advertisement