Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭DvB

leahyl wrote: »
    Yeah was actually thinking about that the other day - there's only one or two people in our office every day now, most people only in one day a week, so there's hardly a point putting up a tree.....but maybe I'll do it one day to surprise people! Would be nice to come in and see something festive, as you say.:)

Yeah. I think its important that we carry on and do things as normally as we can. Far too easy to be down & dreary at the moment so I think its worth the effort even if it will only be a small amount of people that benefit.

For me its a case of anything to lift the mood, really struggling to generate any real christmas spirit at the moment despite my best efforts, this mostly due to work stresses might I add, too many messy projects that are taking up way too much time for little reward and/or satisfaction.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Oooh that's after making me happy!!! :):)

I second this: Lashes, your tree is like a beacon for us !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

DvB wrote: »
    Yeah. I think its important that we carry on and do things as normally as we can. Far too easy to be down & dreary at the moment so I think its worth the effort even if it will only be a small amount of people that benefit.

For me its a case of anything to lift the mood, really struggling to generate any real christmas spirit at the moment despite my best efforts, this mostly due to work stresses might I add, too many messy projects that are taking up way too much time for little reward and/or satisfaction.

I hear ya, work is absolutely crazy the past 8 months since Covid came into our lives. I mean I was always ticking along busy but this is nuts! We definitely do have to try keep the Christmas spirit alive! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

New rules for our work decorations as I work in a hospital are only decorations that are out of reach ie on a ceiling BOO....no Christmas trees etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Jude13

Stick the tree to the ceiling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Gorgeous tree lashes, love the nutcrackers too

DvB that makes me so happy decorations out of storage

It is the little things even if its only 2 people in the office the difference the decorations will make to their day,

I didn't have the best sleep last night but I had fresh bedcovers on and was so snug the crisp bedlinen made it feel so Christmassy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Anyone else find it a sad time of year? Lately I've realise the thought of Christmas brings to me a sense of melancholy and for no reason. I have my struggles with depression and can see how hard it is for some people. Up until around the end of the first week of December I don't want to even think about it.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Be kind to yourself funnydoggy - it's a strange/hard time for so many people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Be kind to yourself funnydoggy - it's a strange/hard time for so many people.

Strange is right. When I think about it I just feel some sadness creeping in and for no good reason. Very odd :confused:

Thanks tuisginideach, you too!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Bought my first gift today. A towelling bathrobe and tea subscription for my daughter.

I'm thinking of making a hamper for my mum in law, just some nice food treats and a few other bits as well. Normally I'd be using this time to browse the shops but that's out so have to be inventive.

Put my tree up at the weekend and bought a few festive smelling candles from Lidl. I need something to cheer me up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Anyone else find it a sad time of year? Lately I've realise the thought of Christmas brings to me a sense of melancholy and for no reason. I have my struggles with depression and can see how hard it is for some people. Up until around the end of the first week of December I don't want to even think about it.

It’s not always a happy time of year for many people and finding little things to make you happy or keep your mind elsewhere or just get through the season is the way to go. Sometimes easier said than done, I know. Look after yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

I guess part of it is the pretence of a happy time gathering with family and friends, all laughter, no worries...Unfortunately as we get older we realise that's not real life. It's tough as well as you get older, the magic kind of disappears.
    Don't put pressure on yourself to feel happy etc. Try to enjoy the build up in your own time. This year in particular has been very tough and it's the uncertainty of Christmas that's looming over us all that could be adding to it as well. Mind yourself and even dipping in here might help in a small way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I can understand what you're saying funnydoggy, even though I love Christmas and always have, I sometimes find myself getting a little sad sometimes for no reason really....we are all here to listen anyway if you ever need to vent!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Funnydoggy it can be a miserable time for many.I think some of it is made worse by the social media presentations of the "perfect" christmas.

I hope you have things you can enjoy and help your mood. It's totally normal not to be a festive bundle of joy. Take care of yourself in any way you find helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,495 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I bought a new piece of furniture a few weeks ago mainly because it would me extra shelves to decorate for Christmas.
    Put it together last night. Spent about an hour looking for a screw.
    Also, I think I could do with a few more Christmas bits to fill it.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I've always found that this time of year was like that - Usually my energy levels slump with the darker evenings, and I feel the cold easily so hate the dark, cold wet days. It might also be because we start out a new year full of plans and then maybe don't quite reach our goals. As well as that I've found that as I'm getting older, there seems to be more and more people to remember at Christmas time who aren't here any more. And this Christmas is particulaly important given the sh!t year most of us have had - and even then it's very uncertain and hard to look forward to in case of another lockdown.

Find something that you love - and try to distract yourself with that. You don't have to be all cheery for Christmas right now. Maybe what you need is to give yourself a bit of TLC, whether that's curling up with a good book and a fluffy cosy blanket or allocating yourself time to do a hobby or project that you keep telling yourself you will do someday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

I bought a new piece of furniture a few weeks ago mainly because it would me extra shelves to decorate for Christmas.

It's amazing the lengths we will go to find excuses to buy more decorations :D

I am sure you can manage :)
    hopefully in the New Year we will get Alcove units, already thinking about the space next year to fill with Christmas bits

Freshpopcorn you will have to show your purchases you bought to decorate the piece of furniture :)

I haven't tuned into Christmas FM at all yet, I need a little Christmas today so I have been randomly singing outa bit myself :D and I just lit a Cinnamon candle I had there

• Registered Users Posts: 38,319 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

how common would The Wren Boys (Stephens Day)be celebrated nowadays ??. Only know about them really by name and that auld lads dress up in weird costumes on Stephens Day and sing a song about a wren

What's the other festival that happens early december, its like a scary parade type of thing. Irish name starts with a 'S'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭dobby896

A long-time lurker here!

Finished up a tough set of professional exams today, so beyond tired, it was a different experience sitting them remotely!

However, just wanted to say that checking in here every so often was such a great release, knowing that there was life beyond the exams! Delighted that I can now look forward to Christmas reasonably free of worry (besides the whole global pandemic thing!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

PTH2009 wrote: »
    how common would The Wren Boys (Stephens Day)be celebrated nowadays ??. Only know about them really by name and that auld lads dress up in weird costumes on Stephens Day and sing a song about a wren

What's the other festival that happens early december, its like a scary parade type of thing. Irish name starts with a 'S'

I can only think of the Samhain festival, but that's in November...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,319 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

jellybear wrote: »
    I can only think of the Samhain festival, but that's in November...

That's it

thanks for that was doing my bloody head ina

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Mutleyboo

dobby896 wrote: »
    A long-time lurker here!

Finished up a tough set of professional exams today, so beyond tired, it was a different experience sitting them remotely!

However, just wanted to say that checking in here every so often was such a great release, knowing that there was life beyond the exams! Delighted that I can now look forward to Christmas reasonably free of worry (besides the whole global pandemic thing!)

Well done dobby, I'd say that's a weight lifted! What's this pandemic thing you mentioned :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

dobby896 wrote: »
    A long-time lurker here!

Welcome along dobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Left the office late tonight, stuck in traffic on the canal and thought I'd never get home, then lo and behold a house all lit up in its Christmas glory, a real cheery moment that in a miserable drive home.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭TK Lemon

I don’t know about anyone else, but it’s been a horrible, rainy day today. :(

So I’ve started on my Christmas grocery shopping... imagine having to queue outside to get into the supermarket in the rain and cold. :eek:

I was also shopping on Amazon for my Christmas gifts. Before I paid, it said they’d be delivered by 25th November... I got an update and it changed to 25th Nov - 15th Dec. :eek:
    Really need to get my skates on and everything else that I need. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Odeta

Booked a ticket to Curraghchase Park Drive-Thru for my godson's birthday. We will be driving through an Enchanted forest to see Santa. Don't think we'll miss anything as the speed limit is 5 mph.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

polydactyl wrote: »
    Sympathies.... got the same call yesterday �� 8 year tradition broken
    polydactyl wrote: »
    So Westbury have cancelled their afternoon teas and The Shelbourne are running competitions for theirs?? Rumours abound that indoor dining will be allowed so who knows
    That is a bit strange, alright. :/
    I think RentDayBlues has the right idea- to do one at home, especially since you are still recovering and have to mind yourself.

Don't break the tradition, just tweak it! :)
    Mutleyboo wrote: »
    I'm willing to try a snow dance if any wants to join me? I figure if enough do it the snow gods will look down and take pity on us and give us something!
    YES. Just a few flurries on Christmas Day would be fine!!

Welcome along, and best of luck with your exam results, Dobby! Hope you stick around here now you have delurked. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Taking the decos down in January is so depressing though, so I don't put them up lol.

Ah just messing, I enjoy all your enthusiasm even though I don't get it much lol. Gas thread.

Advertisement