Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Happy 1st of March everyone! 3rd month of the year already.

299 in the countdown as well. Movement and I always feel the 299-199 moves quick with the bank holidays and brighter days.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Jan flew by but I defo felt a bit of a slow down towards the end of Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,267 ✭✭✭✭DvB

It being a 5 week month in terms of salary (for me anyway) may have had something to do with that.

For me Jan & Feb have bizarrely been a real case of long days but fast weeks.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Merrion Square Park this morning 🙂

As a total random stat, 39 weeks today will be the last Friday in November, and that's decorating day for a few on here (myself included) so thats a quarter of the way gone already until decorating day!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Man, it's so cold, I'm freezing today! Went out at lunch to get the last party bits and got drowned - no snow here, just rain, rain and more rain :(

Same. Got soaked at lunch and the office would not heat up at all today.

Starting to get a little concerned with the wind howling out there... sounds worse than some of the recent 'storms' we've had.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭tscul32

So many pics of snow in Dublin and not a flake near the coast😭

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

It was a lot windier here earlier, seems to have died down a bit now, but still lashing. Bottom of our road is flooded again.

Actually looking forward to going to the gym later; be the only time today that I'm warm lol

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭BK5

Rain, rain and more rain here in Ashbourne. Was in and out of it all day today in work too. Thankfully week is done, bought a few bottles of San Miquel to put me in a more summery mood. 😃

My sister lives in Westmeath and sent me this lovely photo. Looks like a Christmas card.

My brolly didn’t survive the winds today 😭😭😢

• Registered Users Posts: 30,491 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

No snow for me, I need to get Caught up on this thread, it's like the Christmas ad and Happy March!

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭gidget

I’ve actually started doing that EuroDreams one, €20,000 every month for 30 years - I’d never need to work again & then when it expires I’ll be past retirement age by then so would work out quite well!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Coming home tomorrow after a lovely month in the sun so in for a rude awakening I think. I wouldn’t mind snow but the bloody rain drives me nuts.

• Advertisement

Was working in Guinness not a good experience for you?

Nope. I remember, at a company piss up, my manager laughing as he admitted to mis-advertising the role. It was pitched as a technical role with some admin, instead it was purely admin on a broken SAP system with no fixing. Years of multi-million euro issues hanging directly at my door with no training or systems support.

Problem was that I took that role in 2007 and and immediately faced into the global meltdown so couldn't shift. Absolutely destroyed me.

I ended up wasting so much time that I couldn't get a job in my field so had to retrain and, horrifically looking back, was able to see how easy that role would have been with an IT Systems Analyst, a SAP Dev/Systems-Admin, and a month long project. But Zero support from line manager (who was department head so a decision maker) meant that ICT was an alien concept.

Example of behaviour; I remember there being awards, at company conference, for those who avoided costs. Some field agents were getting significant prizes for saving €10-15k. I had spotted an error which saved €10mil and nothing. Turns out manager took direct credit for it, in his yearly review, so wouldn't nominate me and publicly admit, to his national director boss, it wasn't him. It's only now, years later as a manager, that I see how toxic that office was

At least the redundancy paid well enough to go back to college, fulltime.

I did work first in the Fermentation plant for a few years, now that I enjoyed and have fond memories of. Also made some good friends who I'm still in contact with even after several years and moving cities, just none from my dept🤣

God, that became a rant!

Post edited by Norrie Rugger Head on

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭beachhead

Took me 10 years to finally use the last of the bottles of spirits

Friend of mine worked in the diageo engineering team at St James Gate, always said he really liked working there and tried to get me to move there too but glad I didn't based on what I'm reading here 😀

Sorry to hear about this, nothing worse than dreading going into work in the morning.

I work in Tayto, so maybe we can get all the big Irish brands covered here. Okay who here works for Lyons Tea, Jameson or Ryanair? 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

I've yet to find a job where I don't dread going to work in the morning.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭beachhead

Lists are of name only Irish "brands" now.I remember ryanair would take sterling only in the beginning,irish punt f**k off

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭A cup of te

Yis are speaking my language re the lotto and eurodreams :-) honestly though you have to just play for fun. It's so random, pure chance. I also love the idea of the eurodreams and likewise it'd bring me up to retirement age! I'd even love the second prize. But to win a million or so would be so amazing. I often let my mind wander and daydream of sitting on the beach in the sun with all that money and never having to drag myself into a stress filled job again. My plan if the lotto doesn't work out is get the mortgage and car paid off and look for something with less stress. Life is so short.

• Advertisement

Advertisement