Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

It was split between supply and demand.

Engineering was in with supply along with brewing, fermenting, kegging, and quality labs. Good place. Really liked the job and culture there.

Only issues taking a job there was it always seemed to be redundancy cyle after cycle.

I know sales reps who bloody loved their job. My own office may have been the outlier. Bloody hell, it might just have been me a really bad fit in an admin role as opposed to the advertised tech role... but no one seemed truly happy in that office

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Suppose I better open this bad boy up.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

My god your willpower is amazing that couldn’t have made it to Christmas in my house.

I have easter chocolate bunnies that haven't even made it to easter!

Edit: I had...

Post edited by Norrie Rugger Head on

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

We get so much chocolate as presents that it lasts it until around June/ July every year. We still have ......

A box of Merci

Box of Lilly o Brien's

Box of dairy milk chunks

Box of dairy box

Thompsons chocolate snowman

Box of Belgian biscuits

Half a kilo bar of dairy milk

Pouch of Reese peanut butter cups.

• Advertisement

How, how could you?

I mean, seriously, how could you not have that eaten yet?

It's not willpower....we are still eating chocolate it's just hard to get through it all 🤣🤣

We get so much bought for us that I have to arrange it in order of best before date 🤣. Wife is a crèche worker so....lots of chocolate gifts from parents on the last week before Christmas.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Sorry I don’t understand the sentence 😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭tscul32

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

If he gets rid of the chocolate storage room...

I ate a dairy milk and a double decker last night and felt guilty!

Sorry I still don’t understand the sentence.

whats this guilt you speak of?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,267 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Laughing at this conversation, it's a repeat of a regular occurrence in our house. My wife and son could eat their own bodyweight in chocolate not a bother whilst myself and my daughter regularly scold them for it 🤣

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Morning Elves! Such a busy weekend with a party for our middle fella who will be 7 this week! 7 - I just don't know where the years have gone! Also managed to do something to my back in the gym on Friday evening. No idea what as it didn't hurt at all throughout the session & I didn't feel like I was overdoing it, but Saturday & yesterday I was in bits. Seems to have calmed down now today TG...might just have overstretched it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Also about the Guinness chat, my father in law's brother worked for them years ago - probably 40 years ago now if not longer. The brother is long dead now, God rest him, but my father in law is still telling the tales. Something crazy like they had an allowance of 10 pints a day (if not more) and they tried to get rid of that so they all went on strike & they had to keep giving them the pints. They were all drunk as skunks most of the time, or else had the tolerance of a rhino. The lorry drivers were also given tokens when they arrived with loads or for collections so they could have a pint or two while they were waiting. Absolute madness!

The benefits the Guinness Group workers got was insane.

Gold plated pensions

Free medical centre (GP, Pharmacy, Physio) on site for life. For them and any dependents

Free dinner every day, also into retirement. Would see groups of pensioners coming into the canteen for a catch up over a three course meal

Alcohol allowances

I think that they also kept use of the onsite pool and gym.

Most of those were rolled back in the Diageo years and while good were nowhere near AS good. Mainly that they were no longer lifetime benefits

Pension was still very good.

Access to medical centre now was just for you, while you worked there.

You got your three course meal every day

Alcohol allowance was massively reduced. You got €50/month, in a 3 month period. Was OK on beer but it's the heavily discounted spirits where that was a massive bonus. I stocked out my wedding after bar on bottles of spirits and all the white wine for the dinner. Great memory of some of the people I did work with was; that wedding venue had a self stocked after hours bar (no staff either) and had no draught beer. When the line installers heard this their wedding gift was that they contacted the venue, put in temporary Taps, lines, coolers, and gas canisters. All I needed do was buy a staff discounted keg of Guinness and Carlsberg. Rugby team and nurses were still drinking in there at breakfast time.

All this talk just reminded me that my pension mail is being sent to an old address. Crap, that's something I am going to sort out this morning

Have heard similar stories from back in the day. Assume that's all been knocked on the head now, if nothing else for H&S reasons!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

WFH this morning and copped to change my countdown calendar to March!

Even going back, (checks calendar) Jesus Christ 18 years!!! it was considered a "Dry" site but if you were on shift at night time, with the right Brewing Shift Manager, there were always a few pints to be had off the sampling line.

There were nights where I would get the LUAS in knowing that I would not be driving at 06:00 at the end of the shift

My team was a bit more reserved, even if there would be a pint or three had.

Nights where I had to cover a different team's lab analyst though? It was like my little test room was a pub. Everyone, including the old school Shift Manager, would be in there skulling beers. You would get all the work done, so my sampling rounds would be completed and tests run, guys on the fermentation panel have everything in the green, and lorry lines charged for the UK. Then the beers...

As a big fan of Guinness I'm glad I made the decision to not take up my mates offer to work with him there so. I'd have been a raging alco!

I started there hating stout but there's no way you can be covered in Guinness all through the shift and NOT end up liking it.

Wind's just knocked out the power. Great, have untill the laptop dies, tethered to phone, before I have to go into the office

Estimated power restoration 14:15? Bollocks

Never have a bad word to say about ESB networks crews though. Fantastic efforts in horrid weather conditions. Deserve every cent they earn

Weather really feels like Christmas is coming though. It's like a November day

With weather like that today it’d be time to take the roads in awful day!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I think it's an age thing as well. I hate it when I was a young fella and started drinking. It became my drink of choice at 25/26

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭beachhead

When did redundancy after redundancy start? Lack of foresight by the management

Advertisement