Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

PTH2009 wrote: »
    how common would The Wren Boys (Stephens Day)be celebrated nowadays ??. Only know about them really by name and that auld lads dress up in weird costumes on Stephens Day and sing a song about a wren

What's the other festival that happens early december, its like a scary parade type of thing. Irish name starts with a 'S'

Very common in my parents' neck of the woods. I hate it because sometimes it starts early when you're trying to have a lie in :D

A mixture of teenagers doing it for cash and more organised groups with traditional musicians doing it for charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,319 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Caranica wrote: »
    Very common in my parents' neck of the woods. I hate it because sometimes it starts early when you're trying to have a lie in :D

A mixture of teenagers doing it for cash and more organised groups with traditional musicians doing it for charity.

Fair play wouldn't have a clue about it or whats the meaning of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Who remembers these annuals from school
    I remember I got one and looking at it cover to cover it was so brightly coloured
    https://www.folens.ie/books-and-programmes/primary/christmas-annuals

Just heard Tubridy talking about them this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

SarahLil wrote: »
    I remember I got one and looking at it cover to cover it was so brightly coloured

Nos there's a blast from the past :)

Simpler times!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭DvB

SarahLil wrote: »

Our two get them every year through the school. We just paid for them last week in fact. They love them & read them cover to cover a few times.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

TRS30 and DvB yeah massive nostalgia brilliant it is still going

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Absolutely loved them and massive exci3when we got them. My kids went in with the money today for them. I love that there still the same

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Welcome Funnydoggy and Dobby !
    Personally I find this virtual cafe a very cosy place to be - Hope you do, too !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭misstearheus

Greetings! I am just wondering does Boards do any sort of a Secret Santa Gift Exchange idea amongst the Boardsies?!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

Greetings! I am just wondering does Boards do any sort of a Secret Santa Gift Exchange idea amongst the Boardsies?!:)

This was discussed here a little while ago and with GDPR etc it's a tough one. We did one on the animal and pet forum for years but that's not happening this year, as far as I know. Would be nice but logistically it's a lot of work.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Yeah, I think it can be more trouble than it's worth, tbh!

I remember the pet one descending a bit into "I put lots of thought into my gift and only received cheap crap in return" type territory. That, coupled with the logistics of handling people's personal details and addresses makes it more hassle than anything else I think.

That super valu Christmas add is just brilliant

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Cork city and towns on cork are all switching on their Christmas lights at 7pm tonight. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,495 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Loughc wrote: »
    Cork city and towns on cork are all switching on their Christmas lights at 7pm tonight. :)

Can you break the travel restrictions on your Birthday?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Happy Birthday Fresh :D

Happy Birthday :)

Aw happy birthday Freshpopcorn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Happy Birthday Freshpopcorn, best wishes!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,846 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Happy birthday 🎂

Loughc wrote: »

If you were near by it would be nice to see after the official turn on time head in when its quiet
    Maybe a drive through McDonalds for a McFlurry then drive in see the lights :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I think so everyone else is. :D

Happy birthday man :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Do whatever you like*, have a good one!

* though dont quote me on that if a garda stops you doing whatever you're doing! :D
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 21,911 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Happy Birthday Fresh popcorn, enjoy the evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

Happy Birthday freshpopcorn :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,319 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Sorry if this is a bit confusing

Something that i need to work on is to try and not think of Christmas 'as the event to define my year for everything '. I tend to reflect too much on the year at Christmastime in terms of (what my relationships were like, where i travelled, what were my main sports memories, work life etc) and get a bit overwhelmed that can cause issues esp with Alcohol consumption and mental health issues. I may get a little excited on nights out and stuff. Somethings id feel ill have to over do it on this certain night as i may not have another chance etc. My birthday is the 27th Dec and i hate the day as i know i should be out having this and that but its simply just bad time of year for people

I need to realize thats its normal times and life will go on when its over. No point in beating myself up cause im still single at xmas at 30 years of ago and i cant do SFA about sports results/world events etc

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Mutleyboo

Its official, the stalls on Henry street wont be allowed :(
    Such a shame, they're a real part of Dublins Christmas, well to me anyway.

Happy birthday fresh popcorn. If I lived near by I definitely would be and treating myself to a nice takeaway also

• Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Happy Birthday Fresh :) I hope you got spoilt and got some fresh popcorn :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Mutleyboo wrote: »
    Its official, the stalls on Henry street wont be allowed :(
    Such a shame, they're a real part of Dublins Christmas, well to me anyway.

That’s a shame but understandable. I hope this Christmas is a blip and we can really appreciate all our traditions next year.

Personally I’m missing Penny’s like mad. I really want to buy some of their seasonal pjs and bedding

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Hope you had a lovely birthday, Freshpopcorn! :)

I wonder when the Dublin lights will be going on. I hope it's soon!

Advertisement