Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,374 ✭✭✭✭DvB

My kids are back in school tomorrow. Earliest I ever remember them going back, but all the secondary schools out this way are the same.

Always had it in my head it was later in August they went back.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,590 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

That's surprising

So early, is it induction days ?

Nope. 1st 2nd and 3rd years back tomorrow, 4th, 5th and 6th on Thursday. 1st year's just go in.a bit earlier.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Wrong thread

Post edited by antimatterx on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Wow, Aug 21st seems very early for back to school. It was always as close as possible to Sept 1st in my day! I think the number of school days is the same for everyone and it's up to each individual school to figure out the days off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭BK5

When did the kids start going back in late August to school?

In the olden days we never went back before the 1st of September.

We always went back last week in August. Usually around the 28th/29th depending on how the days fell.

But this feels about a week too soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,677 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

When I started secondary school in 2005 I think we went beck in late August and it was considered a new thing then.

I started in 08 and it was the same. Always back in late August. There was an induction day for the like an hour where you received your timetable, locker and had an assembly. Classes started a day or two after.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Started in 08?

Cries in old age.

I always remembered starting back first Monday of September but by the time I was in 5th year the 1st years were coming in earlier to let them settle in first.

• Advertisement

I started secondary in 1984!

Babies the lot of ye 😀

I find it scary when watching the Rose of Tralee and their born after the Year 2000.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I still think anyone born in the 90's must be only a child. 🤯

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,954 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

There was no such thing as snow days or red warnings....we just marched through those fields 😂

I suppose they need a certain amount of wiggle room for unexpected days off.

Easter used to be half day Easter Wednesday then off holy Thursday, good Friday and the following week. I think now they get 2 full weeks....which is probably better for exam years.

Ha ha ha ,they are! 😄 I started secondary in '85.

I think 1985 was the year where it became illegal for the teachers to hit us, it seems like the dark ages now.

That might explain why my total psycho of an Irish teacher stopped inflicting random acts of violence on us in second year so…

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,274 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Feeling very young here now, I started secondary in the 1990s (well it was 1990 but it counts, lol)

What made me feel really old recently was the fact that one of the Olympians in the skateboarding (I think) was born in 2012 LOL Cripes. 2012 might as well have been last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Ours are back next Thursday. I don't remember us going back in August either, but then I also don't remember getting our summer holidays as early as they do now. Ours were finished on June 25th this year; we definitely went to the very end of June back in the day.

Access to the train station near me wasn't available this morning. They never opened the shutter to the stairs. Thank God I WFH, but the amount of people that have been inconvenienced is disgraceful.

Done the Leaving Cert in 1990 so 5 years ahead of you.

I tell you what's making me feel old is my oldest child is 30 tomorrow!!! 😮😄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I started secondary in the 90s and I think that by the end, the first years were going back in August; but the other years were always a day or two later and ticked over in to September.

Think it generally went First Years → Exam Years → 2nd Year/5th Year → TY about a week and a bit later when everyone else had settled down!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,274 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I try not to think too much about some of my peers from school who are now grandparents 😂

2 of my mates from secondary are grandparents… one was a grandad at 39!!

Not a grandparent yet but wish I was, my younger brother has two grandkids but I'm not jealous 😪😄😄

I'm in no rush!! We started our family late enough so mine are only in their early teens, lots to do before either of them become a parent.

Would be nice at some point, but not until I'm retired anyway 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rsl1976

Not long back from holiday and picked up some new baubles for the tree plus a neighbour bought me a lovely one in Kerry

Wife was in the Range in Maynooth today and their Halloween stuff is all out but they have started getting the Christmas stuff out too. There was 3 trees erected waiting to be decorated in the usual spot in the shop.

I know the Irish weather can be mad, you could be wearing a t-shirt in November, but there is a definite feeling of Winter in the last couple of evenings.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I've just put my Christmas tree in a skip!* So I've gone from 'might be buying a new tree this year' to 'need to buy a Christmas tree this year'. The pressure. 😯

*I'm having a clear out, I didn't just throw it in a random skip

Advertisement