Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Heroditas wrote: »
    I'm tempted by the wine fridge that is on offer in Lidl next week :D

Wine fridge? Where did you see this?

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

My Christmas plans have taken a hit, two weeks into recovery post spinal surgery I got the worst pain ever yest and couldn’t walk and ended up being readmitted with likely need for more surg. It was all very sudden so little ones devastated etc but their main concern is that I get home in time to help decorate te house....they take after their mammy ðŸ˜. They started some Christmas crafts today to help pass the day and sent in some for me to do in hospital too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

Oh polydactyl, so sorry to hear that :( Wishing you a super speedy recovery. They're such cute little reindeer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Finishing up another big day of house cleaning in preparation for Christmas, just the main bedroom to clear out now, new bed and chests of drawers on the way and have ordered new fitted wardrobes and flooring to go in hopefully before Christmas too. Just waiting on a date for the wardrobes and hoping they can get it done in the next 3 or 4 weeks.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Had a roast chicken dinner and gravy and stuffing today. It really whetted my appetite for Christmas dinner. Drooling over turkey dreams right now lol.

Kiddo’s are using Christmas straws, I wore my Christmas socks yesterday. Really starting to feel the mood

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Good to hear from you Cheerlouth, I got a garland for over my kitchen presses a few years back in Heatons for about 12 euro you could try Brand Max, I have 2 sets of Penneys battery operated lights on it, they come on I think for 6 or 8 hours at a time, usually come on about 4 pm, I have it decorated with some accessories too

polydactyl sorry to hear that wishing you well and that you are home with your family soon x , the decorations are fab,

I think the weeks are moving along swiftly, its great to see houses decorated around my area, people are certainly getting into the spirit early,
    Managed some more decluttering the weekend,

Today we had roast lamb lit the fire early, cinnamon candle burning and watched Christmas with the Kranks I loved it I have never seen it, you just cant beat the Christmas feeling

I cant wait to start decorating the house, I have a few jobs left before they can appear

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

polydactyl wrote: »
    My Christmas plans have taken a hit, two weeks into recovery post spinal surgery I got the worst pain ever yest and couldn’t walk and ended up being readmitted with likely need for more surg. It was all very sudden so little ones devastated etc but their main concern is that I get home in time to help decorate te house....they take after their mammy ðŸ˜. They started some Christmas crafts today to help pass the day and sent in some for me to do in hospital too
    Oh no! :( I hope they get you back on your feet asap!

Has anybody seen gift tags for sale anywhere? Just plain gold/silver/red ones, like below. Thanks! :)

Ke9Jerc.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

We cleaned the house today in preparation for putting the deccies up next weekend and then said f*ck it what else can we do today so we put up the deccies :D (pics are in the tree thread)

Only thing we didn’t put up are the lights in the living room window as the window cleaner isn’t coming until Wednesday

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Took the Christmas Jigsaws down from the attic.

1,000 piece Ravensburger puzzle has commenced.

rS6kARp.jpg

Started it while listening to ChristmasFM. Bliss.

• Advertisement

Oh lovely, Loughc- I've always wanted a Christmas jigsaw, but never got around to buying one, and with the shops shut now, doesn't look like 2020 will be my year either! :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Posy wrote: »
    Oh lovely, Loughc- I've always wanted a Christmas jigsaw, but never got around to buying one, and with the shops shut now, doesn't look like 2020 will be my year either! :pac:

I ironically ordered 2, two years ago online. Only getting round to the first one now. Loads online. You should deffo get one. I find them so relaxing.

Kitten_k I just seen your tree in the show us your tree thread it’s lovely!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Loughc wrote: »
    Kitten_k I just seen your tree in the show us your tree thread it’s lovely!!!

Thanks!

Cork lass. Your doggo. OMG. I love it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,476 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Caranica wrote: »
    Wine fridge? Where did you see this?

On sale from Thursday the 19th. Think it can hold 8 bottles. Temperature range from 7 to 18C so might need to chill some wines a tiny bit more.
    Think I'll need to do a little more research before I buy it. We have a wine rack in the living room but move it into the sunroom when the tree goes up. The sunroom is Baltic in the winter so it's perfect for chilling whites but the reds are too cold.
    Opposite problem in the summer though. I've had instances of corks nearly popping from bottles and wine leaking because it gets so hot there. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,476 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I find them so relaxing.

Do you not have young kids? :D
    We did a Mickey Mouse Christmas 1000 piecer last Christmas and I'm still amazed nobody died.
    We got one of those jigsaw mats and started a Harry Potter 1000 piecer a couple of months ago. After the cats started to use the mat as a scratching post we left it up in the attic and it's been there ever since :(

• Registered Users Posts: 30,496 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I just had my first mince pie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I ironically ordered 2, two years ago online. Only getting round to the first one now. Loads online. You should deffo get one. I find them so relaxing.

I used to do them every Christmas until I had my eldest five years ago. I actually bought two last January thinking maybe I’d get around to it this year now the youngest is 2. Must have had a premonition. Breaking that out early is a great idea!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,496 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

We're into the 30's!

• Advertisement

OMG it's flying now! :D :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Odeta

Posy wrote: »
    OMG it's flying now! :D :eek:

I just may be playing ... It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Jude13

The only down side of Christmas is the time it takes to read the new posts!!!

We have my OH's old bike as a garden feature with planting in the basket. I stuck some lights on it and on our tree in the corner of the garden so I am taking that as a little step forward. Though they are lights that will be on it all year around its still a start.

The dog in the Christmas tree thread made my morning. looking forward to next weekend.
    Thursday (our last day of the working week): Take tree and decs out of the shed. Put up tree.
    Friday: Decorate tree and outside decorations, maybe light the tree. Watch our First Christmas movie on a projector out the back.
    Saturday: Visit stores to buy whatever we deem is lacking and Christmas fm!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Jude13 wrote: »
    The only down side of Christmas is the time it takes to read the new posts!!!

We have my OH's old bike as a garden feature with planting in the basket. I stuck some lights on it and on our tree in the corner of the garden so I am taking that as a little step forward. Though they are lights that will be on it all year around its still a start.

The dog in the Christmas tree thread made my morning. looking forward to next weekend.
    Thursday (our last day of the working week): Take tree and decs out of the shed. Put up tree.
    Friday: Decorate tree and outside decorations, maybe light the tree. Watch our First Christmas movie on a projector out the back.
    Saturday: Visit stores to buy whatever we deem is lacking and Christmas fm!

Nice Jude, sounds like a great few days.

Weather was so bad when we woke up that discussed taking down decorations in the afternoon if didn’t pick up. Weather Improved a bit so went out for a walk instead.

Defo be coming down one day this week!

My whole neighbourhood have deffo decorated earlier this year and I'm loving it.

Going to take all the decorations down from the attic this weekend, and put everything up bar the tree.

I'll keep the tree tradition for the toy show. (And it means I'll have less to put up for my day off) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

My whole neighbourhood have deffo decorated earlier this year and I'm loving it.

Going to take all the decorations down from the attic this weekend, and put everything up bar the tree.

I'll keep the tree tradition for the toy show. (And it means I'll have less to put up for my day off) :D

Sounds like a good plan. I'd say we'll do our stages as well. Doesn't put too much pressure on to get it all 'done' in one go. Will hopefully be easier this year as we are both WFH.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Yup decorations down this weekend and slowly getting everything up during next week, but no lights or anything switched on until Friday and then Saturday its Christmas FM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

The trees are fabulous in the Tree thread, Corklass your dog is gorgeous such a cutie

30s here we come guys OMG

All the talk of getting decorations down is fantastic it really lifts your spirits

I still can't believe we are into the 30's, once we get below the 100's in the countdown it really flies in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Have to admit, despite the days flying by, the music channels up & running, adverts everywhere, decorations going up all over the place, presents all bought etc I'm kinda having to force it a bit at the moment. Traditionally it'd be the end of November before I get the 'feels' and it seems this year, despite so many looking to get going early will be the same for me. Normally the christmas FM launch is peak build up time, & i naively thought that with the inclusion of presenters online early this year I'd be able to advance that christmassy feeling, but it appears not. As much as I want to feel Christmassy, it really isn't happening for me so far... I'm wondering if its not being able to get out to the shops or something, but either way its simply is not happening, yet.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Advertisement