Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Getting into the 30's feel like massive jump!

There are plenty of trees up around Coolock/Artane.It is definitely the earliest I've seen them up.I love to see it but I'll be waiting till December for my own.

I'm doing professional exams next May and they've given study plans and if you stick to the plan you should get everything covered well in time.(I always say I'll stick to them and never do it properly but I'm really trying this year).One great thing I've noticed is that they properly factored Christmas in!!The last lecture is the 15th and there is no reading to be done till the week of the 4th of January.I won't have any Christmas study guilt now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Jude13

I think it may be the early start DvB. I am not feeling it massively though I have held off for Christmas fm, and movies, plus I live in a non Christian country.

Aisling this is the first Christmas I have in a while with no study for a masters or professional exams muh hah ha!!! So I am going to try and savor the weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

DvB wrote: »
    Have to admit, despite the days flying by, the music channels up & running, adverts everywhere, decorations going up all over the place, presents all bought etc I'm kinda having to force it a bit at the moment. Traditionally it'd be the end of November before I get the 'feels' and it seems this year, despite so many looking to get going early will be the same for me. Normally the christmas FM launch is peak build up time, & i naively thought that with the inclusion of presenters online early this year I'd be able to advance that christmassy feeling, but it appears not. As much as I want to feel Christmassy, it really isn't happening for me so far... I'm wondering if its not being able to get out to the shops or something, but either way its simply is not happening, yet.

As you well know mate, its a feeling and non of us can control those fully. It will happen when it happens and you can't force it.

All this talk of starting Christmas early this year can make it feel like you have to move things earlier then you might normally do and while that works for some for other it mightn't.

When it comes you wouldn't be able to shake it then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

My booklet of Christmas stamps have arrived :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Jude13 wrote: »
    Aisling this is the first Christmas I have in a while with no study for a masters or professional exams muh hah ha!!! So I am going to try and savor the weekends.

Enjoy it! They're such a weight hanging over you. All the more reason to be merry and bright :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

matchthis wrote: »
    Mind blown watching fairytale of New York just now. Matt Dillon (Somethings about Mary) is the police officer at the start of the music video

60-F43-E15-CACB-45-EC-B807-CD33-B622-F3-A5.png

“The video for the song was directed by Peter Dougherty and filmed in New York during a bitterly cold week in November 1987. ... Part of the video was filmed inside a real police station on the Lower East Side. Actor Matt Dillon plays a police officer who arrests MacGowan and takes him to the cells“

Yes, Matt Dillon has been around a looong time.
    Rumble Fish is from 1983 !

Polydactyl, hope you recover very soon

Thanks Cork Lass and Kitten for the pics, love everything: garden, dog and trees !
    They brought me a bit of Christmas on this November Monday !

Congratulations, ChewChew

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

otnomart wrote: »
    Ahhh, love it !

Must admit that ad just made me burst into tears ... man what an emotional year :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

I think I'm feeling the Xmas buzz so much earlier this year.. I'm off work until December 1st so I've actually really enjoyed the chilled out relaxed November at home with the kids.. nothing is rushed. We spent a whole day writing our Xmas letters and sending cards and little presents to my grandparents in the nursing home. A whole day! I would never usually have that time. Work would be hectic right now... So this calm before the storm is heaven. And when I do get back and have a day maybe two off at Xmas I will actually feel like I spent Christmas at home with all the Christmasy stuff we are doing now.

• Advertisement

Must admit that ad just made me burst into tears ... man what an emotional year :(

Can't cope with the adverts this year the MC Donald's one...every...single... Time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Can't cope with the adverts this year the MC Donald's one...every...single... Time!!

Saw it 'live' on the TV last night during IACGMOOH and both myself & the mrs stopped talking to watch it, and both of us agreed its a fantastic advert.
    Our two are just about to turn 10 and we're getting to that stage with them growing out of the 'little kid' phase and wanting to act more grown up and its really sad that it seems to have gone by so quickly, so this ad hits us right in the feels.

I know already it'll be my 2020 winner.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    Saw it 'live' on the TV last night during IACGMOOH and both myself & the mrs stopped talking to watch it, and both of us agreed its a fantastic advert.
    Our two are just about to turn 10 and we're getting to that stage with them growing out of the 'little kid' phase and wanting to act more grown up and its really sad that it seems to have gone by so quickly, so this ad hits us right in the feels.

I know already it'll be my 2020 winner.

Urgh I know the feels.. my baby is 15 and such a child at heart but acts the big man so it really struck a chord.. they don't tell you about this part in the baby books lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭screamer

I bought some mince pies in spar today and nommed 2 of them. Have to say, I usually get them
    In Aldi or Lidl but these ones were gorgeous.
    Anyways had to go to Dunnes for some pillows, and have to say, there was 0 Christmas spirit in the small centre it is in. Stuff closed down, stuff cordoned off, they can keep it, I’ll finish my shopping online even if they reopen in 2 weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Was in the Christmas spirt up until a few days back, but the uncertainty over what level restrictions we will be on is putting a downer on everything.
    I haven’t had a dinner with some family members this year and Christmas Day is the one day we all get together.
    Will miss our day out in Dublin at the panto and our yearly shopping day.
    Just finding it hard to get excited this year.

Made contact with the Window and Gutter Cleaner for the Christmas he has to come back to me regarding availability for our house and my mams :)

harr wrote: »
    Was in the Christmas spirt up until a few days back, but the uncertainty over what level restrictions we will be on is putting a downer on everything.
    I haven’t had a dinner with some family members this year and Christmas Day is the one day we all get together.
    Will miss our day out in Dublin at the panto and our yearly shopping day.
    Just finding it hard to get excited this year.

Just CovID in general is the biggest party pooper.. we visited my grandparents at the home the other day. My grandad was 88 we all stood in the carpark singing happy birthday and the kids let balloons off. I will never forget my grannies face,she absolutely bawled. My brother won't get home for Xmas either. So I think I'm using the Christmas lights as the shine at the end of a really crappy tunnel. Block everything out and hope 2021 we can have those dinners and birthdays and reunions.

Just CovID in general is the biggest party pooper.. we visited my grandparents at the home the other day. My grandad was 88 we all stood in the carpark singing happy birthday and the kids let balloons off. I will never forget my grannies face,she absolutely bawled. My brother won't get home for Xmas either. So I think I'm using the Christmas lights as the shine at the end of a really crappy tunnel. Block everything out and hope 2021 we can have those dinners and birthdays and reunions.

Awh lashes you have a great view of things, I am in tears reading about your poor granny xx

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

So I think I'm using the Christmas lights as the shine at the end of a really crappy tunnel. Block everything out and hope 2021 we can have those dinners and birthdays and reunions.
    Ah, Lashes that birthday sounds so lovely and so sad in equal measures.

By Christmas 2021, it will be 2 years since the start of Covid and hopefully, we will be a few months into a vaccine programme.

It will also snow, but just on Christmas Day, and not enough to disrupt travel. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

This is both an odd and great alternative xmas song

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,846 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Posy wrote: »
    Has anybody seen gift tags for sale anywhere? Just plain gold/silver/red ones, like below. Thanks! :)

Ke9Jerc.jpg?1

Saw these in Dealz this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,476 ✭✭✭Heroditas

A bit of the good and the bad today. I noticed I'd been sent an email from Santa's Express in Palmerston House. It's now officially cancelled and they're replacing it with a drive-thru experience. We can transfer our booking for this year to next year though.
    However, I think we'll skip the drive-thru. It's the same price as the main experience - €85 for the four of us. A bit steep if you ask me. Also of we're still in Level 3, we shouldn't be leaving the county. At least we hadn't told the kids we'd booked the experience so they're not expecting it.
    The good news is that the Santa letters were written. Absolutely hilarious the news they put in them :D

Heroditas wrote: »
    A bit of the good and the bad today. I noticed I'd been sent an email from Santa's Express in Palmerston House. It's now officially cancelled and they're replacing it with a drive-thru experience. We can transfer our booking for this year to next year though.
    However, I think we'll skip the drive-thru. It's the same price as the main experience - €85 for the four of us. A bit steep if you ask me. Also of we're still in Level 3, we shouldn't be leaving the county. At least we hadn't told the kids we'd booked the experience so they're not expecting it.
    The good news is that the Santa letters were written. Absolutely hilarious the news they put in them :D

Our usually Santa experience has been cancelled this year :(

My OH saw this one and we discussed it however like you I felt the price was too steep for what you got.

Has anyone booked any Santa experiences this year? Any recommendations welcome. Am based north county Dub however don’t mind travelling a bit (if allowed).

Also anyone know what the situation is with Arnotts this year re Santa?

Even the normal santas grottos in shopping centres could be affected, I know in Blanchardstown they usually start around this weekend (if not earlier) but with the non essential shops closed theres not much happening & no sign of the grotto even being put together. I wonder will it even go ahead when they do open the remaining shops? Can they even be done safely? Everyone standing back 2m from Santa or suchlike & all wearing facemasks!? Hardly enticing to young children I'd have thought.... at this time of year it really is the little things that can make all the difference and its so sad to see all our lives affected so much. I know in the greater scheme of things its hardly a major issue but still, hopefully this will all be behind us in 12 months & we can get back to living.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

TRS30 wrote: »
    Our usually Santa experience has been cancelled this year :(

My OH saw this one and we discussed it however like you I felt the price was too steep for what you got.

Has anyone booked any Santa experiences this year? Any recommendations welcome. Am based north county Dub however don’t mind travelling a bit (if allowed).

Also anyone know what the situation is with Arnotts this year re Santa?

I booked the drive through Santa in Palmerston House in Kildare .It looks great and the evening time after 16.15 looks even better .

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I booked the drive through Santa in Palmerston House in Kildare .It looks great and the evening time after 16.15 looks even better .

We did the normal one a few years back (2 years in a row actually) and both times we did it after dark & with all the lights it looked fantastic. Definitely better to do anything like that after dark IMO. It was the same in Causey farm, so much better after dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Letters written to Santa and posted off by my kids this morning. 17,15 and 12! Last year this though probably :(

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

iamwhoiam wrote: »

To me, it seems a bit expensive as will be over €90 for the 5 of us.

Hoping some other ones will open however as DvB says, not sure how practical or appealing it will be this year :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

We booked a drive in movie for beginning of December, it’s not to far from us. €35 per car and a choice of films.
    We picked the night time show. It’s not our normal Christmas Day out but at least it something. They had earlier movies for the younger kids as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 feckwunker

Please don't do that. It's littering and ends up in the ocean where it doesn't break down.

Advertisement