Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Funnily enough, last year I came back to a huge workload that had an early deadline & was forced into getting 'in the zone' so to speak and i do remember that I had very little time to dwell on the christmas just gone & didnt really get my almost traditional post christmas blues. Then all my positivity was destroyed by covid & the rest is history... So there is something to be said for coming straight back to being busy.

The difference today is unreal, yesterday the day dragged hugely, today its flying by, cant believe its just lunchtime.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Was really looking forward to returning to the office for just 2 days a week although as soon as they opened pubs in December, I knew we'd be in lockdown this month.

Now the idea of returning for even 2 days a week seems months away again , while WFH is good i'd never want to be working here 5 days a week.

Now with schools unlikely to reopen on Monday I just really hope there are better remote learning plans in place as we didn't have anything last year and we were all stressed out at home (being acutely aware we are vert lucky to still both have jobs albeit trying to do them at home with kids).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Now with schools unlikely to reopen on Monday I just really hope there are better remote learning plans in place as we didn't have anything last year and we were all stressed out at home (being acutely aware we are vert lucky to still both have jobs albeit trying to do them at home with kids).

This was exactly how we were last year. Lucky to both have jobs however struggling to keep the kids entertained and do some educational things with them. We were lucky that my eldest's school was really good and used the Seesaw app to give out work to do and allowed the kids to interact with each other. I hope they use it again this time, if the school do stay closed for longer, which unfortunately looks like they will.

I just really hope they keep creches and Montessori open, not sure if we could handle all three being home and us both trying to work again.

TRS30 wrote: »
    This was exactly how we were last year. Lucky to both have jobs however struggling to keep the kids entertained and do some educational things with them. We were lucky that my eldest's school was really good and used the Seesaw app to give out work to do and allowed the kids to interact with each other. I hope they use it again this time, if the school do stay closed for longer, which unfortunately looks like they will.

I just really hope they keep creches and Montessori open, not sure if we could handle all three being home and us both trying to work again.

QFT.

After a settling in period I ended up getting used to WFH full time last year, but when we moved office & the opportunity to go in 2 or 3 days pw arose I took it as I felt we all needed a break from one another at home. Our kids school used the seesaw app also & it was a godsend, but even with that ours finished the work quickly & ended up seeking entertainment which was difficult as we were both trying to WFH with me in the attic room & my wife at the kitchen table. Even allowing for the changing restrictions I had gotten used to the mixing of being office based & WFH & felt it was a reasonable compromise, but like many always felt a full WFH was potentially around the corner and unfortunately that seems to be the case now. Though I have to admit, despite my mixed feelings at the outset last March I ultimately enjoyed WFH & felt I'd always look back on it as a time I was more relaxed (despite the covid situation) and I was spending far more time with my family.

The school situation is a worry, ours have reacted brilliantly to going back as if the break did them the world of good, but another extended one may be a stap too far so I sincerely hope we get to grips with this quickly.

As for WFH, i'd be hopeful to maintain some level of it going forward post covid, though I suspect our MD will push back on that.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Is anyone else getting into a big slump around 8pm for about an hour? I cannot keep my eyes open, my head lolls and everything, and it's not food-related. If I go to bed, I sleep very deeply for two or three hours, then I'm wide awake until 6 or 7 am and a zombie for the remainder of the day. If I don't go to sleep, I cannot function at all for that hour, then I'm wide awake until 3am and beyond and sleep badly until past 11 (I'm on leave). I don't know if it's the amount of daylight or the Christmas "disruption" that caused this, or what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Myself and two late-teenage sons here all awake at different stages in middle of night these nights

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Loughc wrote: »
    I got 4 hours 17 mins Sunday night and 6 hours 11 mins last night.

Aren't fitbits great :pac:
    I find the fitbit can psychologically improve or disprove how tired you feel.
    If I check my fitbit and it tells me that I've met my sleep quota and slept well, it gives me a little boost and I feel better just for reading the stats! :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Sadly I don't think they have a plan at all, Micheal Martin was previously quoted he would keep the schools open at all cost and that was his plan up to yesterday, now with pressure building from other countries closing theirs and opposition parties he might close them, meaning they certainly don't have a remote learning plan in place.

What frustrates me is they had 3 months in the summer (6 if you go back to March) to build an online platform as a backup plan in the event the schools needed to close.

Posy wrote: »
    I find the fitbit can psychologically improve or disprove how tired you feel.
    If I check my fitbit and it tells me that I've met my sleep quota and slept well, it gives me a little boost and I feel better just for reading the stats! :pac:

I'm the same, i find the days I have a bad night sleep I don't look at the fitbit app until the afternoon as I know I automatically feel extra tired if I seen 4 hours sleep at 9am haha.

I think you are right in there not being a proper remote learning plan, the department of education seem clueless.

Our teacher this year seems more switched on to technology than last years so we are pinning everything on that although the schools need to get official guidance.

Our little one (turning 5 soon) isn't impacted as much but still need to keep her amused during the day.

I had a positive outlook until the whole schools closing thing came up again. Don't get me wrong it's good to spend more time with the kids, just not with work hanging over us at the same time (and I can't say enough how grateful we are to both have jobs).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

You can check my previous posts in the last few days about this but suffice to say as far as teachers and schools no there is no fecking plan. And we are just as pissed and disheartened.

I’m back on steroids, back cocooning so struggling to be happy and in the mood for the Christmas forum at the moment but I’m still reading and ye still cheer me up so keep it coming.

I’m trying for a daily acknowledgement of something good in my life. Yesterday’s was that for the first time in a long time both myself and my husband found a show we are both enjoying and watching together! The Jack ryan series. We have very different tastes so it’s really nice to sit down together to watch it each night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭gidget

Just saw a FB post from Christmas FM, I think they might be back on air for the day tomorrow as they’re putting up an emoji puzzle that’s consistent with the 6th January, supposed to be an announcement at 6 this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

gidget wrote: »
    Just saw a FB post from Christmas FM, I think they might be back on air for the day tomorrow as they’re putting up an emoji puzzle that’s consistent with the 6th January, supposed to be an announcement at 6 this evening.

They're still online. I have it set to play on my echo in my kitchen between 9am and 7pm. Walked into my kitchen yesterday and it was playing Driving Home for Christmas. I only wish!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I’m trying for a daily acknowledgement of something good in my life. Yesterday’s was that for the first time in a long time both myself and my husband found a show we are both enjoying and watching together! The Jack ryan series. We have very different tastes so it’s really nice to sit down together to watch it each night

Ooooh Jack Ryan is very good, love it.
    gidget wrote: »

Now this is the good news I need. That's a great way to finish the Christmas season and a lovely way to light up this lockdown I'll deffo will be tuning in, I know ChristmasFM is on now online but it's not the same without the presenters they make it.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Happy Nollaig na mBán eve everyone!
    I swear next year I'm taking the day off and going to a spa. :D
    Christmas and NY here was lovely. Just us, at home, surrounded by amazing food. Happy days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭appledrop

Well the tree is down!

Myself and four year old had good fun taking it down today and packing all decorations away for another year.

Time to finish off those butler chocolates as a treat to myself!

Not long back from a walk and it is bitterly cold out there. It will be so sad to see the lights gone after tomorrow night I love having my night time stroll lit up by Christmas.

Some of the new LED lights are really bright and really light up the dark nights.

Can we not just leave up the external lights and switch them off during the brighter evenings? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

A few houses out my way still have all their lights and trees up, looks lovely in the snow :)

Just looked out our living room window and there's 3 houses with all their lights still on. Suspect that won't be the case tomorrow.

DvB wrote: »
    Just looked out our living room window and there's 3 houses with all their lights still on. Suspect that won't be the case tomorrow.

Mine will be staying on tomorrow until it’s bed time then it’s lights out for the 2020 Christmas season.

• Advertisement

Mine will be staying on tomorrow until it’s bed time then it’s lights out for the 2020 Christmas season.

Fair play. Had we not taken ours down at the weekend they'd probably have stayed up til paddy's day we're already that knackered...

If you're anything like me it'll be an emotional moment. Always gives me a little lump in the throat that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭tscul32

The tree is staying up until tomorrow but I started packing dishes and clothes away today. It's strange having coffee in a boring regular mug.

Same, our are on now and will go on tomorrow from dark till bedtime and then that will be that :(

Mine too. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭tscul32

My Spanish friend just dropped off a Roscon de Reyes cake for us for Reyes (day of the Kings) tomorrow. There really is no end to the Christmas treats. Have to say it looks lovely and I cant wait to tuck into it for breakfast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Mine will be up and lit until Friday bought, will start taking them down on Saturday morning. Will have a nice candle night on Saturday to cover the bareness

• Advertisement

kitten_k wrote: »
    Mine will be up and lit until Friday bought, will start taking them down on Saturday morning. Will have a nice candle night on Saturday to cover the bareness

My internal lights will stay on until Saturday night.

I’m working Saturday so I’ll spend Sunday dismantling Christmas.

There’s talk of snow Wednesday night/Thursday if that’s the case I will be leaving the external lights on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

We've been gradually squirrelling stuff up in the attic like the Christmas clothes, mugs etc. We'll move a few more up tomorrow.
    Tree will be up until Sunday morning because I've a college course on Fri and Sat but we may take a couple more bits down in the meantime.

Anyway, we have one last hurrah tomorrow with Christmas FM back on air for one last blast. :D

Street looks dark tonight......

Our tree with its lights and window lights will remain until the weekend:)

I could get on board with that! :D

I'm thinking of leaving one of my little pop-up trees up for another week or so.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Our living room tree had a bit of a push this year and it's slanted now.
    The hall tree is fine tough.
    Will probally take most things down at the weekend tough. I might leave a few nick knacks up tough.
    Also, I generally leave my bedroom tree up until the 1st of March.

Then sometime in March the Easter tree will go up.

My sister was in another country this year for Christmas and will be home for the Summer. So, I'm going to put up my little tree for her in the living room and put her presents under it. They are all wrapped, etc.
    We've a turkey crown in the freezer, crackers, etc all left as well.
    So, we'll have a Christmas in July!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Heroditas wrote: »
    We've been gradually squirrelling stuff up in the attic like the Christmas clothes, mugs etc. We'll move a few more up tomorrow.
    Tree will be up until Sunday morning because I've a college course on Fri and Sat but we may take a couple more bits down in the meantime.

Anyway, we have one last hurrah tomorrow with Christmas FM back on air for one last blast. :D

Christmas music now, for real? That sounds a bit like pretending that the beloved family member who died a week ago is still alive. It’s over man. That holly jolly music would just make me sad now.

Put the tree up in the attic tonight, nearly 40 and it’s still so depressing. But hey, next stop: spring and summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭sunbeam

I took almost all of my decorations down yesterday (The 5th). Tree will probably come down tomorrow. I still have one lit wreath left up. It has peach hydrangeas and pink flowers so not overly Christmassy. Have ordered some flowers and a vase from Amazon and will replace it when they arrive, and add lights to them. Mantelpiece lights are still up as are some around another vase, and a twig.

There was one year I left some lights up until the clocks changed and I thought about doing that again. However, Easter is only a week later, so I will probably continue to light them until then. If ever we needed something to light up the darkness it is now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭Jude13

Went for a few quick drinks after work with a pal I hadn't seen over Christmas. He go his all clear test on arrival so all safe. Anyway after meeting him at 4pm for Christmas drinks I ended home at midnight, not a well man today. Also made a bit of noise coming in so my last hangover of the Christmas period is accompanied by the dog house.

Happy Little Christmas all :)

Last night putting on all the lights :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Back to work today, well dipped my toes in yesterday but fully back today. Currently lying in bed, so tired and wondering why it only took 2 weeks to ruin my sleeping pattern! At least after I shower all I have to do is go downstairs.

All decorations still up here, most of the neighbours have them down already. Will start with the interior tomorrow and take my time. So delighted to see Christmas fm back today, will definitely help with the back to work blues

Happy Nollaig na mBan!! Already a great day and I'm still in bed :)

Up most of the night watching election in America, looks like Georgia has swung blue, which is awesome. Then I just got an email inviting me to my first interview of 2021. Good things come in threes right?

Nice work, Caranica! :)

Happy Little Christmas, guys!!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Odeta

Happy Nollaig na mBán to all!
    Best of luck Caranica (my little sis is going for an interview herself today so the candle will be lit for both of ye) Tree staying up here until a family birthday on Saturday (I’m sure dispensations are given for such occasions). In other breaking news ... I forgot to let the tap drip overnight so my water is frozen. Send coffee!

• Advertisement

KungPao wrote: »
    Christmas music now, for real? That sounds a bit like pretending that the beloved family member who died a week ago is still alive. It’s over man. That holly jolly music would just make me sad now.

Well technically today is Little Christmas the last day of the Christmas season! I think it's a fitting way to end the season and I'm loving the holly jolly tunes.
    Caranica wrote: »
    Happy Nollaig na mBan!! Already a great day and I'm still in bed :)

Up most of the night watching election in America, looks like Georgia has swung blue, which is awesome. Then I just got an email inviting me to my first interview of 2021. Good things come in threes right?

Good things come in threes and Christmas trees :) Best of luck with the interview fingers crossed fro you, and trust me take it from me there's so many people applying for jobs lately that only the best of the best get called for an interview. They already see something in you just let that shine in the interview and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

Took our tree down yesterday evening :( I miss the lights but it's given little man more room to play in the sitting room so not all bad. I made us a lovely fillet steak dinner with all the trimmings to console myself :D By sheer coincidence, we'll be having a mini Christmas dinner today and tomorrow...no stuffing though as no breadcrumbs and don't even have bread to make them...devastating!!

Hope everyone is keeping safe and well!:)

Good things come in threes and Christmas trees :) Best of luck with the interview fingers crossed fro you, and trust me take it from me there's so many people applying for jobs lately that only the best of the best get called for an interview. They already see something in you just let that shine in the interview and you'll be fine.

That is so beautiful, thank you!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

kitten_k wrote: »

I just sent this to OH in hope but he replied straight away to say 'Hell no'. What a grinch :pac: Our tree is still up but the plan is to take it down tomorrow as I'm not working. I better make the most of it tonight!

miamee wrote: »
    I just sent this to OH in hope but he replied straight away to say 'Hell no'. What a grinch :pac: Our tree is still up but the plan is to take it down tomorrow as I'm not working. I better make the most of it tonight!

Just switched my lights on for the last time a few mins ago, will be sad to see them go.

323 days until they're going back up :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

Hey guys, hope you're all keeping well. Happy Small Christmas. We're doing the turkey again today with all the trimmings. Can't wait! :D

A cold one today as both the shed and car door locks were frozen, thank God for WD-40. Be careful if you're out and about as the roads are slippy.

323 days until they're going back up :(

It'll be here before you know it.

Was looking back over old posts yesterday from January 2018, 2019 & 2020 and its great looking back to see how the year develops & the consistency across the forum is that we all think its flying in (every year).... & you know what they say about cliche's :)

DenMan wrote: »
    Hey guys, hope you're all keeping well. Happy Small Christmas. We're doing the turkey again today with all the trimmings. Can't wait! :D

A cold one today as both the shed and car door locks were frozen, thank God for WD-40. Be careful if you're out and about as the roads are slippy.

Deffo will be doing a turkey crown some weekend soon!

I wonder will we get the snow they're predicting tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

Deffo will be doing a turkey crown some weekend soon!

I wonder will we get the snow they're predicting tonight?

Very nice! Enjoy :)

Very possibly as there's two national Status Yellow warnings for the country tonight.

https://www.thejournal.ie/weather-ireland-status-yellow-ice-snow-warning-5317404-Jan2021/

• Advertisement

Is Dublin likely to get snow!??
    Less of a concern for me now I'm WFH for the next few weeks.

Advertisement