Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

DvB wrote: »
    Is Dublin likely to get snow!??
    Less of a concern for me now I'm WFH for the next few weeks.

The East is set to get some yes, with the mid-lands and Connacht getting the worst of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Loughc wrote: »
    The East is set to get some yes, with the mid-lands and Connacht getting the worst of it.

ooH!!! Happy with enough to make it look seasonal without the nightmare the heavy stuff brings in terms of getting to the shops etc.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Snow would be the perfect end :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

ooH!!! Happy with enough to make it look seasonal without the nightmare the heavy stuff brings in terms of getting to the shops etc.
    Ah, sure the shops are closed. Bring on 3 feet of snow. :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

My weather app tells me snow is expected in D15 from 6am to 11am tomorrow!! I better dig out my snow boots :D

• Advertisement

miamee wrote: »
    My weather app tells me snow is expected in D15 from 6am to 11am tomorrow!! I better dig out my snow boots :D

Never copped you were out this way too miamee!

Howdy neighbour :D
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭tscul32

For the past two days my forecast has said snow on weds night and thurs night. Today the thurs night snow is gone. Still have tomorrow to hope for - don't really get snow here, to close to the sea - but the little lad turns 9 on Friday and it would have been a real birthday treat to wake up to snow.

Forgot how long it takes to do the decorations. Been at it since about 10am and still going. That doesn't include tree which came down last weekend and outside decorations which will be tomorrow or Friday if too snowy :)

TRS30 wrote: »
    Forgot how long it takes to do the decorations. Been at it since about 10am and still going. That doesn't include tree which came down last weekend and outside decorations which will be tomorrow or Friday if too snowy :)

Took 2 of us nearly the full day to just to take the internal decorations down & box away. The external ones we took down the next day & boxed the lot away into the attic storage that afternoon. So a full day & a half for 2 of us in reality.

The last of the christmas bedclothes gets taken off the beds tomorrow (we have 2 different sets for each bed) and that'll be the last element of christmas put away for the season.

Only got around to start changing my home PC desktop wallpaper today, but decided the christmas one could stay until tomorrow morning :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

tenor.gif?itemid=9275724

• Advertisement

Forgot the duvet covers. Mine are just wintery rather than Christmas so they're staying, cos they're so cozy. Have to do the kids' ones though.

tscul32 wrote: »
    Forgot the duvet covers. Mine are just wintery rather than Christmas so they're staying, cos they're so cozy. Have to do the kids' ones though.

Yeah, not a chance ours could be confused for anything other than christmas:D so according to the boss they get changed tomorrow.

All our Christmas duvets are drying as I type so will go away tomorrow.

Just about to put outside lights on for last time :(

I just moved the lights from the tree at the front to the cherry tree in the back garden, just outside the dining room window. Still need a bit of sparkle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Me too!

tscul32 wrote: »
    I just moved the lights from the tree at the front to the cherry tree in the back garden, just outside the dining room window. Still need a bit of sparkle.
    Oooh lovely. :)

I'm going to 'forget' to take the wreath off my door for a few days, I think.
    I'd love to get an Easter wreath if anybody sees any about in all the shops you'll be in. :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

miamee wrote: »
    tenor.gif?itemid=9275724

Miamee, that moustache is impressive indeed... but you've really let yourself go during the lockdown. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Noticeable difference in the number of houses lit up on tonight’s walk :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Took all my down today ,so dark outside now and so bear in the house:(

Happy Nollaig na mBan everyone, hope ye all had a lovely little Christmas!

Cracked open the reserve Christmas biscuits this evening :D

Our decos will be staying up until the weekend :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I'm keeping my decorations up until this weekend at least. Including the wreath at the door. After that, I'll probably remove the wreath and the ones at the windows, but for the rest... I live alone, I might as well do as I please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Went out for a walk at 10.30 around the block. Counted 50 houses with lights of some sorts on - either in the garden or the house.
    I had Christmas FM on of course.
    Good to know there's still a few people out there lighting the night.
    We'll start gradually taking stuff down between now and Sunday. The attic floor is already piled high with clothes, stockings, jigsaws, mugs etc ready to be put away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Sticked and all now. You were lightning quick! :D

If it had been any time other than dead on 00:00, I would have been surprised, and a little disappointed. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Posy wrote: »
    If it had been any time other than dead on 00:00, I would have been surprised, and a little disappointed. :p

The pressure to do it was terrible.
    When I was preparing my laptop froze and I had to restart it.

I did my best to mix up between Christmas and regular images last year.
    The reason why I stuck to Christmas images from October was to try and brighten things up with the lock down.

The pressure to do it was terrible.
    When I was preparing my laptop froze and I had to restart it.

I did my best to mix up between Christmas and regular images last year.
    The reason why I stuck to Christmas images from October was to try and brighten things up with the lock down.

Worse that trying to get concert (what are they!) tickets I'd say :D

Just another thanks for all your efforts to keep it ticking over everyday, hail, rain or shine. It's much appreciated.

Thinking back to last year, I remember one entry didn't have the number on it!! I commented about it at the time. Must look back and see if i can find it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

Lights still up here, snow on the ground. Who says Christmas is over yet....... I’ll be wrapping the kids up and getting them out into it later followed by some nice hot chocolate.

screamer wrote: »
    Lights still up here, snow on the ground. Who says Christmas is over yet....... I’ll be wrapping the kids up and getting them out into it later followed by some nice hot chocolate.

A heavy frost here, no real snow as of yet.

Just heard last night that creche is not taking the two youngest for the rest of the month. Going to be a fun few weeks with 3 of them at home while both of us try to work.

Wish us luck!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭Jude13

Just as I had rid the fridge and presses of goodies a Christmas care parcel arrived from the MIL. Damn you goodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Odeta

In from a crunchy walk in the snow. Had to reach a happy compromise with the mutts - one wanted to go on while the other wanted home. Having a coffee and trying to motivate myself for work. Methinks it’s going to be a slippy drive.

Odeta wrote: »
    In from a crunchy walk in the snow. Had to reach a happy compromise with the mutts - one wanted to go on while the other wanted home. Having a coffee and trying to motivate myself for work. Methinks it’s going to be a slippy drive.

Just started snowing here.

Be careful anyone who has to venture out today.

I woke up to a lovely dusting of snow. I got a lovely walk in it, it must have been too cold for my doggo as he refused to go on the walk, and I didn't force him as he LIVES for his walk so it would take a lot for him to go ah no thanks.

So I went solo but glad I did, as there was snow I had to put on some Christmas tunes and on my way home again low and behold Fairytale of New York played and it started snowing again, well some very small flakes but it counts.

sITAZW8.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

Light dusting of snow here too...spot the doggo!:D

snowing heavily here now, jus beautiful to look at. Deffo the boost I needed today.

• Advertisement

Woke up to snow, eeep! :D

Where was it on December 25th?? :pac:

Posy wrote: »
    Where was it on December 25th?? :pac:

Away in a manger? :pac:

Plenty of snow out this way too...

wVNTkKa.jpg

Just had a 20 minute walk to work in the snow. Very light snow that started and stopped, but still snow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I woke up to a lovely dusting of snow. I got a lovely walk in it, it must have been too cold for my doggo as he refused to go on the walk, and I didn't force him as he LIVES for his walk so it would take a lot for him to go ah no thanks.

So I went solo but glad I did, as there was snow I had to put on some Christmas tunes and on my way home again low and behold Fairytale of New York played and it started snowing again, well some very small flakes but it counts.

sITAZW8.jpg

Is that near Ashtown? Lovely time to go for a walk in the snow

• Advertisement

Heroditas wrote: »
    Is that near Ashtown? Lovely time to go for a walk in the snow

Nope. D13.

Did a stroll to the supermarket there. And there were still a lot of lights up. But I imagine they’ll all be gone come the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

My tree is lit up again. Looked out the window and can see lots of lights on again tonight. Cheered me right up.

I passed a few houses on my avenue on the way home with their lights still on and it really cheered me up. :)

Same, when we went for a walk earlier there was a few houses still lit up. Suspect they'll leave them up until the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Heard on the news this evening some towns and cities leaving lights up til 01 Feb to try and keep peoples spirits up.
    A great idea.

Heard on the news this evening some towns and cities leaving lights up til 01 Feb to try and keep peoples spirits up.
    A great idea.

A town in Roscommon pitched together and raised the funds to keep the Christmas lights on for January too.

It took them 33 minutes to raise the cash needed.

The rationale was the town centre is dark as all pubs and restaurants are closed and lights are off. By leaving it on it gives people some cheer and encourages people to go out for a walk at night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭antimatterx

sITAZW8.jpg

I think I live near you Lough, other side of the train station in North Dublin?

I think I live near you Lough, other side of the train station in North Dublin?

That’s the one!

Hey neighbour!! :D

A great idea.

Have left the lights on the tree in the front garden and lit them last night. Will keep doing so indefinitely.

My little bit for the cause.
    That’s the one!

Hey neighbour!! :D

Judging by the posts over the last couple of days we would have a couple of big hots spots on the map of where Elves live :)

A couple of lights on my walk this morning still going, those guys are the real MVPs.

I only have my tree lgihts and led presents still going, all other lights have been boxed up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement