Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Couple of houses still lit up this morning on our road. Will be out for a walk later so will obviously be keeping an eye out for more. I'm hoping there's still a few.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭kitten_k

My housemate normally works part-time, had days each day. But due to COVID she now now just does full days on Mondays and Tuesdays. So with current lockdown she is quite bored so she took down all the decorations yesterday while I was working.

Down side is that I no longer have them up, plus side is I didn’t have to take them down :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

kitten_k wrote: »
    My housemate normally works part-time, had days each day. But due to COVID she now now just does full days on Mondays and Tuesdays. So with current lockdown she is quite bored so she took down all the decorations yesterday while I was working.

Down side is that I no longer have them up, plus side is I didn’t have to take them down :D

I HATE taking the decorations down, I love putting them up but HATE taking them down, that's no craic, you dodged a bullet there.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Thanks to DVB's countdown post, I've now realised that next Friday we're into the 40's for the weekly countdown. I love the weekly number's easier to swallow. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Loughc wrote: »
    Thanks to DVB's countdown post, I've now realised that next Friday we're into the 40's for the weekly countdown. I love the weekly number's easier to swallow. :)

Only hit me when I saw his post that is two weeks since Christmas Day :eek:

Looks like 2021 mightn't be much slower then 2020!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Plenty of houses lit up last night when I drove around and later while out with the dog noticed plenty of trees still up too.
    Only thing left to take down at home is the outside lights and the tree. Outside lights down tomorrow but even though I don't want to, I think the tree will have to come down too.
    Hate being an adult sometimes :)

TRS30 wrote: »
    Only hit me when I saw his post that is two weeks since Christmas Day :eek:

Looks like 2021 mightn't be much slower then 2020!

& there was me asking myself is the weekly one a bit much on top of the daily one... the above answers that, so I'll keep going! Though will leave the christmas eve ones until much closer to the time (think i started 10 weeks out last year)
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    so I'll keep going! Though will leave the christmas eve ones until much closer to the time (think i started 10 weeks out last year)

Good call :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

The trees are coming down today sadly. We've started with the living room and we'll see where we go from there. Only the plus side I don't want to alarm everybody but in only 11 months time we'll be into the start of the second week of December. :D

• Advertisement

DenMan wrote: »
    The trees are coming down today sadly. We've started with the living room and we'll see where we go from there. Only the plus side I don't want to alarm everybody but in only 11 months time we'll be into the start of the second week of December. :D

For me peak build up is around the last week in November, All the main brand TV adverts are on, Christmas FM launches, the late late toy show is on, decorations are going up etc. That's usually about 4 weeks before christmas, so with 2 weeks down already its a mere 46 weeks away :D

For me peak build up is around the last week in November, All the main brand TV adverts are on, Christmas FM launches, the late late toy show is on, decorations are going up etc. That's usually about 4 weeks before christmas, so with 2 weeks down already its a mere 46 weeks away :D

This is the positivity I need in my life!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Ours came down over the weekend, but they have been up since the 2nd week of November. As sad as it was, the house was becoming tight to navigate.

We left some of our outdoor lights on, and probably will until the evenings become brighter.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

My main tree is unlit and waiting to be bagged up and attic bound tomorrow.

Everything else is boxed up in the attic, and the little hall tree is sticking around a bit longer. :)

The wife used her last day of holidays and boxed everything up for me, the only thing I've left to do tonight is dismantle the tree and bring everything up to the Attic.

the only thing I've left to do tonight is dismantle the tree and bring everything up to the Attic.

When I read this all I can think of is...

SqxuLPU.jpg

• Advertisement

Herself did say, aww we didn't even get a chance to say goodbye to the tree this year. We normally make a bigger deal about it and turning it off for the final time, I guess this year we weren't sure what day we were going to take it down that we didn't.

Once you start dismantling Christmas it's actually easier to go full hog and take it all down, like ripping off a plaster I guess it hurts less.

Even though I don't post much, more of a lurker, I just want to say thanks to everyone, you're helping my January blues so, so much right now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Herself did say, aww we didn't even get a chance to say goodbye to the tree this year. We normally make a bigger deal about it and turning it off for the final time, I guess this year we weren't sure what day we were going to take it down that we didn't.

Once you start dismantling Christmas it's actually easier to go full hog and take it all down, like ripping off a plaster I guess it hurts less.

We took down decorations yesterday but the tree and outside lights are staying until late January - we need the cheer I took the decorations off the tree so it’s just the lights on it. I’ll be decorating it with 21st birthday bits for my daughters birthday in a couple of weeks. We are living in mad times so who cares :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Went for a walk a short while ago and only a handful of houses have any sort of decorations up.
    We have our tree lights on but the house is a bit barer today. We'll take some more stuff down tomorrow and then finish it all off on Sunday. Only reason it's all still up is because I'm on a course today and tomorrow.

Last thing to do will be to take out the mini trees we got in Aldi and plant them in bigger flower pots and let them grow at a limited rate during the year.
    Hey presto, slightly bigger mini trees next year :D

My estate is so dark now. Outdoor lights should be mandatory for all of winter. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Mutleyboo

I still have everything up! Going to tackle it one day.... I'm the only house left on the road however I did spot quite a few when I was out earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

Went for a walk tonight and there were a fair few houses with twinkly lights and/or lit Christmas trees. In a 45 minute walk I’d estimate about 15 or so houses! :D
    My mum took her decorations down today but (with my influence!) said she’d leave a small tree in one window and Christmas lights in another - because the country needs it to be honest.
    She also asked me to put more lights in another window! :)
    In my own house I usually leave up my stuff for another week or so but this year I didn’t put up an awful lot of Christmas stuff. I always have twinkly lights in the living & bedroom so my house looks Christmassy all year round anyway! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Freshpopcorn thanks for the countdown. I love the images

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Lights switched on for the last time tonight, will take most of it down tomorrow. Probably leave the lights in the front window :(

Lights switched on for the last time tonight, will take most of it down tomorrow. Probably leave the lights in the front window :(

Oh your lights are fab! Lovely display.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Christmas tree and lights still up and proudly on!!

Does anyone think the cold/freezing weather makes it still feel that Christmassy feeling?

Oh your lights are fab! Lovely display.

Thanks, the two reindeer heads were only added a week before Christmas thanks to Dunnes reducing them to €9 each, they'll get a full outing next year.

Christmas tree and lights still up and proudly on!!

Does anyone think the cold/freezing weather makes it still feel that Christmassy feeling?

The morning we had snow I still have Christmas songs blaring!! Snow will always remind me of Christmas even if it’s in March.

Currently sitting here in a empty sitting room now that the tree is gone. And this song is stuck in my head. On a loop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

All decorations down, my attic is full to bursting, didn’t realise how much extra I bought this year! The external lights are still up, can’t decide if I’m going to leave them up or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

All my lights still on, we’ve still got snow lying and the lights are glistening off the icy snow. My village is dark but my house is like a beacon in the middle of it, and I couldn’t care less. I love the light the Christmas lights bring to the darkness and let’s face it these are dark days in so many ways. I’ll leave them up a while longer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭tscul32

Thanks, the two reindeer heads were only added a week before Christmas thanks to Dunnes reducing them to €9 each, they'll get a full outing next year.

A house in our estate had one of those reindeer lights. From a distance it looked like a love heart. We'd passed it a load of times before one day out of the blue the OH said "oh, it's a reindeer!".

Chilly one out there this morning, if you're going out wrap up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Big asthma flare this week and back on steroids so the tree is still up (too much dust to take it down myself). No light on though since the sixth, couldn’t quite do that. I’ve been gradually removing decorations and bringing them to the top floor as I’m working at a desk up there. Leaving them sorted by room all over the floor for now and once everything has arrived up I’ll see about packing them up next week. However my ‘office’ desk is still decorated and my mini tree is still there.

I’m still using Christmas fm online to avoid the radio this week as it’s been so stressful. It’s really hard to concentrate on teaching and prepping for online when your minister and boss seems to actively hate her staff.... But sure look it’s getting done.

On a positive note it looks like this time we will likely have childcare with our childminder so its going to be far easier than last lockdown.

Well sick of cocooning right now. Can’t even go for a walk with the cold because it makes my chest raw.

I’m still reading in here though I’ve less time to post this week, it’s amazing how much chat is still going on and I love it! Keep it up everyone and have a fab weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭appledrop

Well this morning brings me right back to Christmas 2010!

-8 out there at 8am.

Brrrrrrrr keep safe everyone!

I’m still using Christmas fm online to avoid the radio this week as it’s been so stressful. It’s really hard to concentrate on teaching and prepping for online when your minister and boss seems to actively hate her staff.... But sure look it’s getting done.

I’m still reading in here though I’ve less time to post this week, it’s amazing how much chat is still going on and I love it! Keep it up everyone and have a fab weekend

I honestly cant believe Norma Foley was a teacher herself, she really seems to have serious contempt for the profession.

On a cheerier note, I normally do mention this each January for all newcomers and lurkers alike the Christmas Forum is not just for Christmas we are here 24/7, 365 days a year for chats, laughs and more. Good knows we need a distraction from life sometimes and it looks like we'll be needing more distractions for 2021.

And if anyone if needs a proper chat fire me a PM, I'm always online pretty much and happy to help :)
    appledrop wrote: »
    Well this morning brings me right back to Christmas 2010!

-8 out there at 8am.

Brrrrrrrr keep safe everyone!

Funny you mention that cause last night/this morning was the coldest it's been since Dec 2010.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

Having a nice, chilled out morning here :)

Little man stirring since 6 but didn't wake up till 8 so that was nice :)
    Finished breakfast now and watching The Snail and the Whale :D

Did a little online shopping yesterday and treated myself to a few nice bits!

Looking forward to a chilled out weekend, although we still have to put the decorations away. They've been sitting in my husband's office most of the week!

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend. Stay safe and please don't slip on the ice!! Fun fact- it was 10 years ago yesterday since that poor fella slipped on the ice on RTE News!

jellybear wrote: »
    Hope everyone has a lovely weekend. Stay safe and please don't slip on the ice!! Fun fact- it was 10 years ago yesterday since that poor fella slipped on the ice on RTE News!

It was actually 11 years ago!! :eek::eek: It happened in 2010.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

It was actually 11 years ago!! :eek::eek: It happened in 2010.

I blame hubby, he said 10!:D

It's one of those videos we'll see in 20 years time and still have the same reaction!

I actually keep thinking of a reeling in the years for 2020....how grim will that be to watch! Hopefully we'll all be in a much happier place by then!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Woken by Argos at 7:30 collecting a returned item so we’ve watched hotel for dogs and now we’re into Christmas made to order :0)

Stretching Christmas as much as possible.

Am thinking outdoor lights might stay up for a while longer, surely now they’re not Christmas but just a light in the dark

Back from the weekly grocery shop. Dunnes in blanch was empty, nothing like the days of queueing we had back in.March/April... thankfully might i add.

Lovely clear cold day out there, definitely heading out for a long walk with the family today. Clear away the cobwebs.

Back from the weekly grocery shop. Dunnes in blanch was empty, nothing like the days of queueing we had back in.March/April... thankfully might i add.

Lovely clear cold day out there, definitely heading out for a long walk with the family today. Clear away the cobwebs.

When I did the weekly shop it last Thursday it was dead as well, I suspect people bought enough over the Christmas to keep themselves going. I imagine this week coming will be back to normal.

When I did the weekly shop it last Thursday it was dead as well, I suspect people bought enough over the Christmas to keep themselves going. I imagine this week coming will be back to normal.

You could be spot on with that. Even our shop is considerably smaller than normal, mostly just picking up fresh meat and veg etc.

You could be spot on with that. Even our shop is considerably smaller than normal, mostly just picking up fresh meat and veg etc.

Same mine was a small shop cost half as much as it normally would, we're making good use of all the produce left over from Christmas.

Same mine was a small shop cost half as much as it normally would, we're making good use of all the produce left over from Christmas.

Shows how much we overbought!!

• Advertisement

Shows how much we overbought!!

Ah I don't mind overbuying on the things we can make meals out of, it's the chocolate and crisps that's the problem haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It has for me been the most truly peaceful of Christmasses.

The unexpected hamper eased my usual feelings of isolation, and anchored me in the community here with all my way of life etc; been here headed for five years!

I took the (small) tree down; my kitchen is tiny. But left the Crib and the lights until Candlemas, and they are a bright smile.

Just has been lovely and no regrets that it is over either. Looking forward. In hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭dubstepper

I'm switching to an artificial tree from next year. Preordered it. Will be delivered in August :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭sunbeam

I've just discovered that the place I ordered my fibre optic tree with very gently changing non flashing lights from is no longer delivering to Ireland. I now feel slightly less of an eejit for ordering two extra Brexit emergency backup trees last October. :D

I wish I had ordered more of the slow changing berry lights I got from Amazon last year, as this year all the seller had was a crazy flashing version of the same set.

Everything down except some lights in one window:(

Was in Dunnes earlier and they had boxes of quality street and biscuits for €3 each.....again I have no will power.

Left the creme eyes behind though (for now).

• Advertisement
Advertisement