Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'm good thanks, was a bit sick last week but well on the mend now. :)

My workplace has been closed for the last week due to an outbreak, so it's been nice to have a break away from work, despite the circumstances!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Posy wrote: »
    I'm good thanks, was a bit sick last week but well on the mend now. :)

My workplace has been closed for the last week due to an outbreak, so it's been nice to have a break away from work, despite the circumstances!

It sure is. Hopefully you’ll be back to normal soon (whatever normal is):)

Awh hope you're all feeling better soon, sending virtual hugs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭Jude13

Back in the office the last few days, there are only a few people in, say 10 instead of the usual 50-80. My folks left this morning to head back to Ireland, go their negative test so were good to go. Up at 3am to get them to the airport so already pretty wrecked. I am counting that as the end of the festive period for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Hope you feeling better soon Cork Lass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Jude13 wrote: »
    Back in the office the last few days, there are only a few people in, say 10 instead of the usual 50-80. My folks left this morning to head back to Ireland, go their negative test so were good to go. Up at 3am to get them to the airport so already pretty wrecked. I am counting that as the end of the festive period for me.

Project 'avoid the post Christmas blues' commencing!! Hope you do better than I have.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

DvB wrote: »
    Project 'avoid the post Christmas blues' commencing!! Hope you do better than I have.

Tell me about it, yesterday was rough!

Feeling better today which makes me further believe my mood is heavily linked to thew weather. Was able to get a good walk in this morning, nice and mild out and no rain and no ice.

Loughc wrote: »
    Tell me about it, yesterday was rough!

Feeling better today which makes me further believe my mood is heavily linked to thew weather. Was able to get a good walk in this morning, nice and mild out and no rain and no ice.

You may have timed it well. Forecast for Dublin isn't great re: rain for the next few days.

I think my mood is being badly affected by a mixture of work stress, weather & the covid19 situation, throw the annual post christmas January funk into that mix & its a recipe for misery... doing my best to stay upbeat but its not easy. Food was my solace the last 2-3 weeks & need to break that routine quickly.

Still, its Wednesday and we're at hump day already, I get paid today for the first time since Christmas week (yay) and the Packers or Patriots cant win the SB... so its not all bad:)
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Worst day of the week is over. Wednesday is like a mini Friday :)

Youngest elf has slept the last few nights through as well so getting decent sleep a few nights in a row is helping my mood as well.

Patriots cant win the SB... so its not all bad:)

This alone is enough to cheer me up :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I think my mood is being badly affected by a mixture of work stress, weather & the covid19 situation, throw the annual post christmas January funk into that mix & its a recipe for misery...

I hear ya, as I said earlier yesterday was a rough day and normally we'd book a hotel break or a summer holiday to look forward to and we cant even do that, we can't even go out for dinner, but we are ordering a takeaway from one of our favorite restaurants this weekend.

Just before Christmas and just now it's creeping back in, I'm feeling just trapped in the house cause of COVID.... like groundhog day.

I hear ya, as I said earlier yesterday was a rough day and normally we'd book a hotel break or a summer holiday to look forward to and we cant even do that, we can't even go out for dinner, but we are ordering a takeaway from one of our favorite restaurants this weekend.

Just before Christmas and just now it's creeping back in, I'm feeling just trapped in the house cause of COVID.... like groundhog day.

Despite my earlier protestations re: food, given the Covid 19 restrictions theres not a lot of options available to cheer oneself up, therefore we decided that we'd treat ourselves to the odd take away in lieu of any kind of a social life, so we promised the kids we'd get one this weekend as well. We got an Indian last Thursday for their birthday so dont want to overdo that one, so looking at something else this time around... might go italia, or Thai.

Despite my earlier protestations re: food, given the Covid 19 restrictions theres not a lot of options available to cheer oneself up, therefore we decided that we'd treat ourselves to the odd take away in lieu of any kind of a social life, so we promised the kids we'd get one this weekend as well. We got an Indian last Thursday for their birthday so dont want to overdo that one, so looking at something else this time around... might go italia, or Thai.

We got sushi from a local place back before Christmas and was lovely. Have the same place lined up Valentines. Can't wait. Is probably the biggest thing I have to look forward to over the next few weeks :(

TRS30 wrote: »
    Is probably the biggest thing I have to look forward to over the next few weeks :(

Know that feeling!

I have a drive to a site in Kilkenny on Friday (classified as an essential journey) where I'm actually looking forward to the drive for some peace & quiet & seeing the great outdoors. Got a new car before christmas and have done nothing more than a few trips to Dunnes & once to the office & 1 trip to a site in Bray yesterday since I got it so looking forward to a decent spin. How sad is that!?

Know that feeling!

I have a drive to a site in Kilkenny on Friday (classified as an essential journey) where I'm actually looking forward to the drive for some peace & quiet & seeing the great outdoors. Got a new car before christmas and have done nothing more than a few trips to Dunnes & once to the office & 1 trip to a site in Bray yesterday since I got it so looking forward to a decent spin. How sad is that!?

Can relate to that. The 5 minutes on my own in the car on way back and to dropping/picking Elf 1 up from after school, is much looked forward to these day!

What kind of car did you get, DvB? :)

A white one ;)

Lol :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I just bought a new microwave and you can prove bread in it.(I'm sort of excited).

A white one ;)

I've Found the car! :pac: :p

• Advertisement
  • Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

I just bought a new microwave and you can prove bread in it.(I'm sort of excited).

I'm planning a new kitchen in a few years time, and didn't even know these existed!

*adds to the ever grown list of gadgets I want*

I'll be like the Jetsons by the time I'm finished.

Neyite wrote: »
    I'm planning a new kitchen in a few years time, and didn't even know these existed!

*adds to the ever grown list of gadgets I want*

I'll be like the Jetsons by the time I'm finished.

https://www.harveynorman.ie/small-appliances/microwaves/samsung-28l-900w-freestanding-combination-microwave-mc28h5013ak-eu-black.html

I've Found the car! :pac: :p
    Is it a white car covered in black soot and ash? You could be onto something there!
    Neyite wrote: »
    I got my kitchen done there a few months ago and decided against a proving drawer because on the rare occasion I bake with yeast (hot cross buns will be next, for Good Friday) I just prove in the top oven.
    The option of proving in the microwave is a new one on me though- interesting!

Is it a white car covered in black soot and ash? You could be onto something there!

I hope it is the right car I wrote DvB in the ash :pac:

I hope it is the right car I wrote DvB in the ash :pac:

To be fair its clean at the moment thanks to the rain.

To be fair its clean at the moment thanks to the rain.

Wasn't you so :P

It is horrible out there now though! :(

It is a rotten day- I don't think I properly woke up today at all. :(

It is a rotten day- I don't think I properly woke up today at all. :(

Hope you’re feeling better too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Am I alone in not know what Proving is :eek:

At first I thought it read Prodding :D Was a little scared ;)

Watched Christmas Village today :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Autosport wrote: »

Watched Christmas Village today :)

Apparently you didn't watch Great British Bake Off :D

It's when you bake something with yeast, like white bread, then leave it somewhere warm for the dough to prove/rise before you bake it. :)

dough-rising.gif

Before I started watching GBBO I'd have not had a clue what proving was.... so it is good for more than making me hungry!!

Basically it's when you add yeast and your dough rises before you bake your bread.
    When I was at college we had a kitchen class and I was the only person's who's bread didn't rise.

Caranica wrote: »
    Apparently you didn't watch Great British Bake Off :D

I didn’t no

Thanks for clearing that up :)

• Advertisement

A white one ;)

Is this the car?
    de735994d33067d4dc32341e136f8f57fcb898c7_original_1024x1024.jpg?v=1605389984

^love it :D

Is this the car?

Nah, more like this.

j3uif2X.jpg

I'll be honest and say I though it was a typo when I first read it! Then when other chimed in I had to google. Everyday is a learning day (I don't watch GBBO).

Not feeling 'it' at all today. Didn't sleep well, kids all seem to have got out of bed on the wrong side and have a work colleague annoying me about some that is not important. Today is going to be a struggle :(

TRS30 wrote: »
    I'll be honest and say I though it was a typo when I first read it! Then when other chimed in I had to google. Everyday is a learning day (I don't watch GBBO).

Not feeling 'it' at all today. Didn't sleep well, kids all seem to have got out of bed on the wrong side and have a work colleague annoying me about some that is not important. Today is going to be a struggle :(

Coffee!! Lots of coffee!

Have been feeling like that all week. Am putting in the hours of work to get thing done but not with the usual 'zip' (for want of a better description) i normally would... really struggling for motivation atm. I'm struggling sleep wise too so suspect its just a vicious circle that I'll just need to fight my way through.

On a small positive, noticed it was just a little bit brighter when i got up when the alarm went off this morning... so the days are starting to seem a wee bit longer.

• Advertisement

'Zip' is probably a better word, I couldn't think of a suitable one so used 'it'!

Coffee is certainly my friend today. Overall am trying to cut back however today is free for all!!

Been in a daze all day. I came out of my busy period last week in work and this week I seem to be back in a busy period. Busier than ever. Feeling wiped :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I keep thinking I’m ‘ok’ and realising I’m not really. Kids birthday today. He had a ball. I had a moment sitting looking at the monitor on the kitchen table and really really wanted to hug my parents. It’s such a weird time and I just miss my extended family

It’s lovely to pop in here and see some positivity

I keep thinking I’m ‘ok’ and realising I’m not really. Kids birthday today. He had a ball. I had a moment sitting looking at the monitor on the kitchen table and really really wanted to hug my parents. It’s such a weird time and I just miss my extended family

It’s lovely to pop in here and see some positivity

I know how you feel mirror, I can't remember the last time I hugged my Mum :(

As I mentioned before she has been feeling very down and despondent lately. I talked to my sister and between us we have suggested a few things for them to do. Go for drives, go get a take away coffee etc. Nothing major just a couple of small, safe things to break up the day.

We did a zoom call with them last night and I think the kids really cheered her up, they got a bit hyper showing off, trying to out do each other however was good to see her laugh.

All the talk last night on the news about delay in vaccines and not been suitable for over 65 etc got me down a bit however trying to stay positive and it is Friday :)

Well we're into the 320's!

What a horrible horrible day. Was down doing the grocery shopping early doors and the wind and rain were awful, think its actually gotten worse since. Cant see any outdoor activity today sadly. Forecast for the coming days not great on that front either.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

First pay day of the year last night so have started topping up my Christmas vault in Revolut again, normally put about €100-150 in each month, takes the sting out of things come October when most of our festive spending begins for kids, the other half and food etc :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭appledrop

What a horrible horrible day. Was down doing the grocery shopping early doors and the wind and rain were awful, think its actually gotten worse since. Cant see any outdoor activity today sadly. Forecast for the coming days not great on that front either.

Yea its miserable. We are doing some baking instead with Maria Carey 'All I want for Christmas in background'

Sure why not its a miserable Jan day, anything to cheer us up!

appledrop wrote: »
    Yea its miserable. We are doing some baking instead with Maria Carey 'All I want for Christmas in background'

Sure why not its a miserable Jan day, anything to cheer us up!

And by god has January been long. Thankfully just 1 more day after today and we're into February, finally.

Walked the dog this morning we both got soaked to the bone. The wind and rain bleugh.

Not moving for the day now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement