Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Just spent the afternoon clearing out two spare rooms and had some stuff to move up to the attic and I realised ha prob next time I’ll be be there will be in November to take down the Christmas stuff.

Cheered me up no end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I’m delighted I’ve seen to have missed the bad weather it’s grand here, no rain or wind and 2 walks done for now and might go on a forestry walk later :)

May or may not have a Christmas playlist playing ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Miserable day here too. Still coughing a lung up but I got the most beautiful surprise at lunchtime when a gorgeous basket of flowers arrived from a dear friend. Brightened a dark day.

Can't believe it's February on Monday. Every passing day is stressful as I'm heading for a year out of work. But this forum always lightens my spirits. You're a great bunch of people.

Tree is still up, will take it down next week, has really helped me through January. Got new ornament storage boxes from eBay so we'll see how those go. I used to have those wooden wine boxes within larger plastic storage boxes but they were so wasteful of space. Will still have one or two for the very delicate things but hoping I can consolidate the many many Christmas storage boxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

Haven't been on in a couple of days between being under the weather, doggy unwell and some tough news but we're all on the mend now!

Just polished off a homemade burger and chips and I made scones earlier which we'll have with jam and cream later :D

Hope everyone's keeping well and having a nice weekend :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭appledrop

Caranica and Jellybean hope you are both on the mend soon!

Feel exhausted this evening, think I'm just sick of lockdown + miserable weather and the thoughts of another 5 weeks is depressing!

Hopefully next week might bring some brighter weather to cheer us all up!

We can get planning for our Easter decorations!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Have decided, lockdown or not gonna take the Thursday and Friday off after st Patrick's day to give myself a 5 day break. Hopefully the weather will be better so we can at least get out and about more for walks if nothing else.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I’m taking 2 days off in Feb to give myself a 4 day weekend. I don’t think I’ll be going anywhere this year so may as well make nice long relaxing weekends.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Is Pancake Tuesday going to be one of the days? :pac:

Posy wrote: »
    Is Pancake Tuesday going to be one of the days? :pac:

Sadly no. Damn it. Why didnt I think of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

Only 17 days until Pancake Tuesday guys! :pac:

And it's the last day of January! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Popped in to have a read this morning and as usual the positive outlook here is a tonic, had to work outside yesterday at work from 7am to 2pm so as you can imagine was miserable by the time I left site and got home.

My sister was 40 yesterday and we couldn't even get together for that as well!

Anyway in much better spirits this morning doing nothing so hope everyone has a lovely relaxed Sunday as well.

In fairness I thought January this year went quite quickly, does anyone else feel this or did it drag for you?

January is a weird one. Like in no way does it feel like New Year’s Eve was only a month ago. I feel like New Years was like 3 months ago. But yet I don’t feel like January dragged either.

Work was busy for me so I felt the days zipped by. Weekends last approximately 0.7 seconds so they’re never an issue. Individually I thought the days went quick. Overall I still can’t believe we’re in January now.

Same here. Work weeks felt like they went at a fair enough pace, the problem was there was 32 of them, or at least that's what it felt like. January just always feels like an age for me and the lockdown this time around just exacerbated that.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭Jude13

February tomorrow!! I was very lucky to see my parents for 2 weeks the first time in seven months. Saying goodbye felt very strange this time.

I had a bit of Christmas buzz yesterday when I was doing some diy, no reason why, I just felt Christmasy.

I will cherish so much more if we can all be 'normal' by Christmas, specifically catching up with pals.

• Advertisement

Jude13 wrote: »
    February tomorrow!! I was very lucky to see my parents for 2 weeks the first time in seven months. Saying goodbye felt very strange this time.

I had a bit of Christmas buzz yesterday when I was doing some diy, no reason why, I just felt Christmasy.

I will cherish so much more if we can all be 'normal' by Christmas, specifically catching up with pals.

Reading between the lines of the various spokespersons in the media, I'm not overly confident Christmas this year will be fully back to normal, but surely it has to closer than last year?

DvB wrote: »
    Reading between the lines of the various spokespersons in the media, I'm not overly confident Christmas this year will be fully back to normal, but surely it has to closer than last year?

It surely can’t be any worse than last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭Jude13

This lockdown is really so much more mentally difficult than the last, lets hope its not the new normal. They are pushing for us to get the sinopharm vaccine here but it is not yet approved by the EU so Im dodging it. It is readily available and free, the locals get pfizer...so that's all I really need to know.

Loughc wrote: »
    It surely can’t be any worse than last year.

I sincerely hope its an improvement and a considerable one at that. But talk already of not travelling already is a red flag to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Mutleyboo

January has flown by, yet it seems like Christmas was so long ago. Its probably gone extra fast for me as I return to work mid feb after nearly a year off on maternity leave. Dreading going back, will miss daily nap time snuggles. The only good thing is I'll be wfh for the first while.
    The previous lockdown didn't bother me too much but this time it's tough, I'm missing my folks like most and my little one won't know them again..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

DvB wrote: »
    I sincerely hope its an improvement and a considerable one at that. But talk already of not travelling already is a red flag to me.

I was hoping we'd be sble to get abroad for mid term break in October as we should all be vaccinated by then.

Can see flights being avaliable but things will be expensive as flight schedules won't br back to normal plus the pent up demand from all of the Europe to get away towards the end of the year.

Am sadly losing hope, think it will be another staycation with proper holidays not returning until 2022.

Took up sea swimming in July and have kept it up, find it really clears the head - really look forward to it (even this morning when it wasn't the best. With everything going on it's the little things day by day:)

To anyone missing their folks or others, we e got the kids doing facetime calls etc, its not the same I knowbut at least they get to see their grand parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Mutleyboo

Oh wow sheep, Would love to be brave enough for sea swimming!
    It would have been nice for a break at midterm, I'm going to keep my hopes on a holiday for 2022.. actually two holidays, I'll be greedy :)
    I've been watching a place in the sun and The Durrells just to look at the scenery!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Mutleyboo wrote: »
    Oh wow sheep, Would love to be brave enough for sea swimming!

The swimming isn't actually as bad as it sounds (wife thinks I'm nuts). I'm glad I started when it was warm as body is adjusted to it now.

Only managed about 7 mins this morning as it was a bit windy (couldn't go yesterday as it looked too wild).

During the summer could easily spend 30 mins in swimming up and down beside land - between work, homeschooling and lockdown it's my saviour at the moment - never thought I'd say that about swimming let alone in the sea!

Just back from walking the dog. If you don’t have to leave the house don’t. Stay in side much nicer.

Just back from talking the dog. If you don’t have to leave the house don’t. Stay in side much nicer.

I've to put the bins out for collection tonight as they're collected tomorrow morning, and I'm already dreading the thoughts of even doing that. Such a mucky day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

Loughc does your dog talkback?? I talk to my cat but he doesnt talk back sometimes and eyestare, whisker twitch or a quick sctrach.... an interesting freudian typo in your post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

agreed the weather is dark and miserable I stayed indoors all day but looking forward to tomorrows St Brigiddays walk and seeing daffodils....]

The weather hasn't been too bad in my neck of the woods, cold though so I'm nice and toasty in front of the fire.. thinking about the chocolate that's on the top shelf in the press

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Looking at all the chocolate and biscuits still in the house and wondering why I didn't go mental eating them over Christmas. On a diet now and the sight of them tease me :( hahahaha

Awh guys, I'm trying so hard to be good treats wise but I would kill for some chocolate right now....preferably a toblerone!!!:D

• Advertisement

pottokblue wrote: »
    Loughc does your dog talkback?? I talk to my cat but he doesnt talk back sometimes and eyestare, whisker twitch or a quick sctrach.... an interesting freudian typo in your post

Meant walking the dog cold hands from the rain caused the typo :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Yeah, I took my dog out twice today, rain or not, shes a demanding girl.

I do like walking in miserable weather though. There's something relaxing about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

It's the last night of this beauty, and all of the other Christmas stuff :( I'll miss it.

Going to give me a chance to work out what I need for that end of the room (it's a big room). I got rid of all the furniture that used to be there and got some new bits but I think it needs a lamp and a table or nest of tables when I move the armchairs back. Not that I can buy that stuff right now but I can plan!

February-2.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Happy February!
    c32bf92e5e5f6d68f5fb94f9c1ff675e.jpg

Finally February!!!

Finally February!!!

Amen!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

It's February, youngest two are back in childcare and it's not raining. Best Monday morning in ages :)

Hope all had a good weekend. Reading back over the last couple of pages looks like the weather was bad everywhere. Dinasours are the flavor of the month at the minute so watched a few movies with them over the weekend and lots of jigsaws.

FYI, jigsaws much be all the rage these days as folks mentioned they were down to the last one so went to look to get them a couple online and all local places with a website were out of stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

Jude13 wrote: »
    This lockdown is really so much more mentally difficult than the last, lets hope its not the new normal. They are pushing for us to get the sinopharm vaccine here but it is not yet approved by the EU so Im dodging it. It is readily available and free, the locals get pfizer...so that's all I really need to know.

Can i ask where you are? Dubai?

• Advertisement

I actually dreamt last night my family had organised a get together. We were all giddy with excitement as the pubs were opened and we could all meet up again and travel. Easily known it was just a dream for now.

But there was a great Christmassy vibe from the dream!

Got rained on this morning...boooo!!!
    Home now with a cup of tea to warm me up :)

Yesterday marked a year since I've been to any big social gathering. It was a good friend's wedding. Awh what I wouldn't give to have something nice to look forward to like that! We've a family wedding year...so hoping things will be back to 'normal' by then.

In good news, I ordered some funky wallpaper for our downstairs bathroom :D It's the little things these days that keep us going isn't it!?

Planning on doing a Christmas dinner tonight, minus the turkey :)

Hope everyone has a lovely Tuesday!:)

jellybear wrote: »
    In good news, I ordered some funky wallpaper for our downstairs bathroom :D It's the little things these days that keep us going isn't it!?

It's all about the little things in life :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

It's all about the little things in life :)

Totally this.

I forgot how great it is to get regular good quality sleep!

TRS30 wrote: »
    Totally this.

I forgot how great it is to get regular good quality sleep!

Absolutely. With the sore back I wasn't in great form last night but it was nice to go to bed early and get a good night sleep. Feeling much better now but still sore.

Another wet rainy day out there, is there anything to be said for another Sunny lockdown :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

It seems to be Groundhog day every day. Rain and grey skies........

It seems to be Groundhog day every day. Rain and grey skies........

My mam answered the phone this morning with "Happy Groundhog Day"...it really does feel like that.

I have to say, I actually don't mind rainy days. I'm not great at sitting down and relaxing but on rainy days it's easier to :D

jellybear wrote: »
    My mam answered the phone this morning with "Happy Groundhog Day"...it really does feel like that.

I have to say, I actually don't mind rainy days. I'm not great at sitting down and relaxing but on rainy days it's easier to :D

I’d normally agree but my growing belly says otherwise :pac:

I'm sick of the rain, apart from it stopping me getting out & about its miserable to look at from my window while I work... its so grey & gloomy, would love a bit of spring sunshine to lift the mood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Totally agree DvB.

• Advertisement
Advertisement