Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

DvB wrote: »
    I'm sick of the rain, apart from it stopping me getting out & about its miserable to look at from my window while I work... its so grey & gloomy, would love a bit of spring sunshine to lift the mood.

I have to have the lights on in my attic all day as it's so gloomy out. What I wouldn't give to have to pull the blinds to stop the sun shinning on my monitors!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭DvB

TRS30 wrote: »
    I have to have the lights on in my attic all day as it's so gloomy out. What I wouldn't give to have to pull the blinds to stop the sun shinning on my monitors!

The difference from the frst lockdown couldn't be greater. Last April/May I needed the blinds closed the sun was that strong.
    Like you I have the lights on a fair amount of the day now as its so gloomy. In saying that, its not too bad atm, but will be needing them in less than an hour I suspect.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

The section of the building I work in is north facing so we always have the lights on. I'd love to be able to go out for a proper walk during my lunch breaks, today was a complete wash out, my shoes got a bit soggy when I was out getting a cappuccino - my afternoon pick me up.
    I've the stove lit now for the evening, and I've no intention of budging from the couch.

Was gonna head out for a run but it's chucking it down here atm. Looks like the exercise bike or the sofa for me now.... decisions decisions.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭DenMan

Went out for a nice long walk today, two hours!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

DenMan wrote: »
    Went out for a nice long walk today, two hours!

I tried going for a walk but could only hack 10 mins my back is still too sore. Back to rest for me. I miss my walks :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Went for long walk tonight. passed a local house where a Polish couple live. They still have 2 huge Christmas trees up.
    Major envy.......

Loughc wrote: »
    I tried going for a walk but could only hack 10 mins my back is still too sore. Back to rest for me. I miss my walks :(

Sorry to hear that Loughc. Was thinking when I logged on to ask how your back was :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Happy Groundhog day everyone!! :)

Sorry to hear that Loughc. Was thinking when I logged on to ask how your back was :(

It's still sore but getting better each day, I heard a sore back could take weeks to heal but I hope it's better by next week I want to get moving again, walking gives me the happies.

• Advertisement

Went for long walk tonight. passed a local house where a Polish couple live. They still have 2 huge Christmas trees up.
    Major envy.......

I think the Polish community actually celebrates Candlesmas which was last night, I know my Polish neighbour does, it'll be interesting to see if their trees are still up from today.

Happy Groundhog day everyone!! :)

I see what you did there :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

:D

I actually think that’s a competition that should be run every year! I reckon you’d get different movies every year depending on seeding and who’s online!

Just seen on another forum mirrorwall14 has closed her account :(

She was posting here only last week :(

If anyone ever feels the need to close their account be sure to pop in here and say goodbye first.

Just seen on another forum mirrorwall14 has closed her account :(

She was posting here only last week :(

If anyone ever feels the need to close their account be sure to pop in here and say goodbye first.

Lets hope it's an IT issue or some other reason.

Sad to think regular posters wouldn't be around anymore :(

Always a shame to see regular posters leave. You just never know whats going on in peoples lives though and the reasons for leaving though. Doesn't take much to tip some people over and some of the behaviour in other forums on boards is truly nasty so I sincerely hope she's okay.

I often think to myself we've a really nice little community in here, but in reality none of us know one another, so if something was to happen any of us the chances of the rest of us knowing are slim, its a little sad that all we'd see for all that interraction over the years would be no more posts from that person, but thats the nature of online forums I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Very true, sad to see mirrorwall getting out. I stopped giving me opinion on some of the other forums alright because you would get eaten by some dopes.

Very true, sad to see mirrorwall getting out. I stopped giving me opinion on some of the other forums alright because you would get eaten by some dopes.

I haven't gone into AH in ages let alone posted in there. Definitely been good for blood pressure!

I stopped giving me opinion on some of the other forums alright because you would get eaten by some dopes.
    Yep I made the mistake of venturing into the Coronavirus forum during the start of Lockdown number 1, needless to say I never went back.

We are geniuenly spoilt in this forum we really get the nicest of posters posting here :)

• Advertisement

Yep I made the mistake of venturing into the Coronavirus forum during the start of Lockdown number 1, needless to say I never went back.

We are geniuenly spoilt in this forum we really get the nicest of posters posting here :)

Exactly, this forum is a bright spot in the gloom :)
    Maybe it's because I'm not a young lad anymore and I've enough to worry about but why attack someone so nastily if you don't agree something they say?

Exactly, this forum is a bright spot in the gloom :)
    Maybe it's because I'm not a young lad anymore and I've enough to worry about but why attack someone so nastily if you don't agree something they say?

Some people are only happy when they're moaning or giving out. What gets me is the vitriol & associated glee in some of the posts.

I'm too old for that nonsense. In the real world they'd be told to jog on or get a slap.

Some people are only happy when they're moaning or giving out. What gets me is the vitriol & associated glee in some of the posts.

I'm too old for that nonsense. In the real world they'd be told to jog on or get a slap.

Said on here awhile ago, don't know why people love getting in other people's business or get glee from their misfortune. I find it weird and sad if I'm honest.

Yeah, I commented on a plumbing question in the DIY forum once and told the person who had absolutely no clue what they were doing that they would be better getting someone handy or even a plumber with the right tools, because not being knowing what you're doing and water do not mix in a house and got a smart ass pulling me up on what i thought was solid, common sense advice.
    I just thought, I am out of here. What annoyed me was the smart ass gave no solution to the question himself. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Yeah, I commented on a plumbing question in the DIY forum once and told the person who had absolutely no clue what they were doing that they would be better getting someone handy or even a plumber with the right tools, because not being knowing what you're doing and water do not mix in a house and got a smart ass pulling me up on what i thought was solid, common sense advice.
    I just thought, I am out of here. What annoyed me was the smart ass gave no solution to the question himself. :)

Was that a DIY forum:pac:

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Was that a DIY forum:pac:

Yes, and my advice to the OP was. Don't do it yourself :D

• Advertisement

Doesn't take much to tip some people over and some of the behavior in other forums on boards is truly nasty so I sincerely hope she's okay.

I often think to myself we've a really nice little community in here.

And in less than 24 hours I made a mockery of this & allowed myself get involved in a spat of sorts in here, sincere apologies for that. I can only put it down to tiredness & stress taking their toll. I've been using in here as an outlet during the recent manic work load so maybe that's a hint towards stepping back, spending less time on here & doing other things for a bit.

And in less than 24 hours I made a mockery of this & allowed myself get involved in a spat of sorts in here, sincere apologies for that. I can only put it down to tiredness & stress taking their toll. I've been using in here as an outlet during the recent manic work load so maybe that's a hint towards stepping back, spending less time on here & doing other things for a bit.

I seen the spat you are referring to, to be honest I didn't see much in it, you were dealing with a difficult person at the best of times.

I wouldn't let you put you off contributing here, but I totally get the work load stress and how that can feel over bearing sometimes.

Agree with Loughc, wouldn't see it as a spat as such and just different opinions. You were respectful and mannerly in your posts so don't see any issue at all.

Obviously you need to do what's best for you however please don't step back too much. PM's are always open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭jellybear

DvB, for the record, I agree with you re Spring :D Definitely starts February 1st :)

No walk this morning due to the rain. Little man definitely got out of bed on the wrong side...sooo cranky!

I'm eagerly awaiting the post man's arrival every day now...waiting on an important letter. So that's about the highlight of my day!!

Hope everyone has a good Thursday. It's nearly the weekend! :D

ETA- Postman just arrived..no letter today...maybe tomorrow!:D

jellybear wrote: »
    DvB, for the record, I agree with you re Spring :D Definitely starts February 1st :)

I have this fight every year over in the weather forum... it's their Die hard moment haha.

Yes for me Spring starts Feb 1st, that's the way it'll always will be for me too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Die Hard is a Christmas movie.

Spring starts on the 1st February.

That's that, now. :p

Posy wrote: »
    Die Hard is a Christmas movie.

Spring starts on the 1st February.

That's that, now. :p

When it comes from our President, it's pretty much law :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I didn’t see any spat only different opinions on a topic :)
    I like this little part of heaven :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Sorry to see Mirrorwall go.

Hope all you other elves are doing well. Work too busy to be in here as much as I would like to :( Started a new assignment last week so hopefully when I get settled into that I might have a bit more free time.

kitten_k wrote: »
    Sorry to see Mirrorwall go.

Hope all you other elves are doing well. Work too busy to be in here as much as I would like to :( Started a new assignment last week so hopefully when I get settled into that I might have a bit more free time.

Ah Kitten, it's always so lovely to hear from you :)

Hope the new assignment goes well for you :)

Ah Kitten, it's always so lovely to hear from you :)

Hope the new assignment goes well for you :)

So do I. Full time working for a client until at least June with the possibility of it being extended. Lots of reading and trying to get up to speed the last week.

I only noticed now that Mirrorwall is gone, Hope all is ok :)

kitten_k wrote: »
    So do I. Full time working for a client until at least June with the possibility of it being extended. Lots of reading and trying to get up to speed the last week.

Been there twice! You'll be fine, some one will take you under their wing and you'll be up to speed in no time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭jellybear

Awh lads, I thought highlight of my day was waiting for the postman but it's changed...my little boy just took his first steps!!:D I'm a very proud mammy! Of course he won't recreate it for me to get a video to send to my family...maybe later!:D

Been there twice! You'll be fine, some one will take you under their wing and you'll be up to speed in no time.

Yea have been there before myself. The last time I was sent for 6 months and ended up there for 7 years lol!!

• Advertisement

Awh lads, I thought highlight of my day was waiting for the postman but it's changed...my little boy just took his first steps!!:D I'm a very proud mammy! Of course he won't recreate it for me to get a video to send to my family...maybe later!:D

Aw that’s great news!!

Con'grats.

Will be stealing booze from the drink cabinet before you know it :)

Elf 3 took her first steps during Lockdown 1. Seems like only yesterday!

Elf 3 took her first steps during Lockdown 1. Seems like only yesterday!

Ah Lockdown 1...

Still prob the best...

Lockdown 2: Lockdown Harder and Lockdown 3: Lockdown with a vengeance just weren't as good as the original... then again not many sequels are.

Ah Lockdown 1...

Still prob the best...

Lockdown 2: Lockdown Harder and Lockdown 3: Lockdown with a vengeance just weren't as good as the original... then again not many sequels are.

& no sign of snow in any of them to boot.

& no sign of snow in any of them to boot.

Yet ;)

Autosport wrote: »
    Yet ;)

Was I the only one who got a litte bit excited by the thought of lots of snow for next week?

Normally I'd dread it but it appeals atm.

Ah Lockdown 1...

Still prob the best...

Lockdown 3 is only one with Christmas in it :D
    Was I the only one who got a litte bit excited by the thought of lots of snow for next week?

You are me both. Will be well prepared, food, extra batteries, candles etc and nowhere I have to be so bring it on :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Me too DvB. I just love the silence and purity of fresh snow.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Autosport wrote: »
    Am I alone in not know what Proving is :eek:

At first I thought it read Prodding :D Was a little scared ;)

Watched Christmas Village today :)

Honestly if you are looking for a feel-good reality show then the bake off is brilliant. I'm not a fan of shows where they are mean to the contestants or if it's ultra competitive to the point of nastiness so I love the bake off. Even competing, they are all so nice and supportive to each other.
    And there's cake. And breads and buns, and tarts and lots of innuendo.

• Advertisement

I got my garden done in lockdown 1, have had issues with it and have been trying to get the gardeners back for ages. They are booked in for Monday - knowing my luck the snow will stop them!!

Advertisement