Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Posy wrote: »
    They had both in Dunnes- the milk chocolate hazelnut and dark chocolate cocoa. :)

Dark chocolate you say?

Ooh!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

They had both in Dunnes- the milk chocolate hazelnut and dark chocolate cocoa. :)

We got them when they first came out a few years ago, and it's cruel really, as we haven't been able to get them since, only the hazelnut ones.. I reckon there's some dark chocolate loving fiend in the West that's clearing them from the shops :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

We got them when they first came out a few years ago, and it's cruel really, as we haven't been able to get them since, only the hazelnut ones.. I reckon there's some dark chocolate loving fiend in the West that's clearing them from the shops :)

If I spot any I’ll send them your way :) Not a fan of dark chocolate at all, Love milk and white chocolate :);

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Well we're into the 300's.

Well we're into the 300's.

200's practically waving at us now.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Autosport wrote: »
    If I spot any I’ll send them your way :) Not a fan of dark chocolate at all, Love milk and white chocolate :);

Awh thanks :D

DvB wrote: »
    200's practically waving at us now.

Yes, I have Easter and well have approx 265 days to go, then the May Bank Holiday and then the June and we'll be into the 100's.

Yes, I have Easter and well have approx 265 days to go, then the May Bank Holiday and then the June and we'll be into the 100's.

Yep, June 9th = 199 days! Another significant milestone on the countdown.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

DvB wrote: »
    Yep, June 9th = 199 days! Another significant milestone on the countdown.:)

I wonder how many 'Best Christmas *****' we'll have got through by then!!

• Advertisement

May or may not be watching a Christmas movie on Movies24 now :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Autosport wrote: »
    May or may not be watching a Christmas movie on Movies24 now :D

Any movie recommendations at all folks it’s deffo a movie day with the weather outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭nightie

Loughc wrote: »
    Any movie recommendations at all folks it’s deffo a movie day with the weather outside.

Loughc, I’m watching Amélie. It’s a gorgeous movie.

Probably not what you are looking for however watching The Incredibles with the kids :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

One of my faves is Lars and the Real Girl. Ryan Gosling is in it...enough said!:D

Le Mans 66 was quite an enjoyable film :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'm watching the Challenger documentary on Netflix today, and really enjoying it! :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I ended up watching State Of Play on Netflix a 2008 movie. Ben Afflick, Russell Crowe, Rachel McAdams. Good thriller. Exactly the type of movie I was looking for. An easy watch to pass 2 hours.

I ended up watching State Of Play on Netflix a 2008 movie. Ben Afflick, Russell Crowe, Rachel McAdams. Good thriller. Exactly the type of movie I was looking for. An easy watch to pass 2 hours.

Have you watched Ava? Jessica Chastain stars, Colin Farrell in it too... not bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭gidget

Watched Late Night on Netflix last night with Emma Thompson & Mindy Kaling. Might watch that Cecil Hotel documentary after Gogglebox.

149280607_3836781423096326_3896260902885529984_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&ccb=3&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=TP22SRAJUXkAX--DfgO&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=b4301a824b50d819125805501a1e3e54&oe=6058F52A

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭nightie

freshpopcorn, that picture is so random. I’m smiling ridiculously at it

nightie wrote: »
    freshpopcorn, that picture is so random. I’m smiling ridiculously at it

That picture is class It’s the positivity I need in my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

149280607_3836781423096326_3896260902885529984_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&ccb=3&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=TP22SRAJUXkAX--DfgO&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=b4301a824b50d819125805501a1e3e54&oe=6058F52A

25 days until the anniversary of THAT address to the nation that shut our country down. Not an anniversary I'm looking forward to. In March last year we thought we'd be out of it by the summer, then the autumn, then Christmas, then the new year and now feck knows when. With talk of 9 more weeks of lockdown, the thoughts of being more than a year into all this depresses me greatly.

In other news, Christmas finally made it into the attic today. Well and truly gone.

Caranica wrote: »
    25 days until the anniversary of THAT address to the nation that shut our country down. Not an anniversary I'm looking forward to. In March last year we thought we'd be out of it by the summer, then the autumn, then Christmas, then the new year and now feck knows when. With talk of 9 more weeks of lockdown, the thoughts of being more than a year into all this depresses me greatly.

In other news, Christmas finally made it into the attic today. Well and truly gone.

I don't really remember the one on St Patrick's Day for some reason.
    I remember the one when they closed the schools and people went mad buying toilet rolls and groceries.(It was like a crazy Christmas Eve).
    Then I remember the one on the 27th of March, when they officially closed everything.

I don't really remember the one on St Patrick's Day for some reason.
    I remember the one when they closed the schools and people went mad buying toilet rolls and groceries.(It was like a crazy Christmas Eve).
    Then I remember the one on the 27th of March, when they officially closed everything.

The schools announcement came on the Thursday lunchtime before St Patrick's Day, St Patrick's Day was the following Tuesday, Leo spoke to us from Washington. Not sure if I'll ever forget that timeline. I was numb by the 27th.

Today, Saturday (I know it's technically Sunday now) was one of the hardest days so far. I can't give a single reason why today but all the stresses (out of work, almost out of cash, haven't had a hug in such a long time, isolated from family, missing friends, craving travel etc etc etc) all seemed so much worse today, with absolutely zero light at the end of the tunnel. Hopefully tomorrow will feel different.

Ah, Caranica. That's rough. I'm sorry you had a crappy day. :(
    I think this thing can come over us in waves sometimes- I go from autopilot to 'hit by a tonne of bricks' at times.

I know there was the lockdown announcement on Thu 12th March (I went into Dunnes that lunchtime and they were starting to close up already; there were people panic buying- shelves literally cleared) but have no recollection of any speech on St Patrick's day. Maybe I didn't bother watching!

If someone had told me last Patrick's Day that we would be in lockdown the next Patrick's Day, I don't think I could have coped. I guess sometimes it's best not knowing what lies ahead. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

The schools announcement came on the Thursday lunchtime before St Patrick's Day, St Patrick's Day was the following Tuesday, Leo spoke to us from Washington. Not sure if I'll ever forget that timeline. I was numb by the 27th.

Today, Saturday (I know it's technically Sunday now) was one of the hardest days so far. I can't give a single reason why today but all the stresses (out of work, almost out of cash, haven't had a hug in such a long time, isolated from family, missing friends, craving travel etc etc etc) all seemed so much worse today, with absolutely zero light at the end of the tunnel. Hopefully tomorrow will feel different.

I hope you have a better day today Caranica. It’s definitely tough going at the moment and the mixed messages aren’t helping but we will get through this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I remember them all just as distinctly. I was in the gym on the Weds evening, just as normal, and in the office on the Thurs when the announcement was made that the schools were to close. We were told to WFH on the Fri, as a trial, and we all know what has happened since...
    The St. Patrick's Day address was actually the 2nd most watched TV show in Ireland last year, after the Toy Show. I think we all became weary of the addresses after that and didn't bother watching them live.
    I hope the good weather today lifted your spirits Caranica. There was a definite feeling of Spring in the air, which I'm hoping will make the rest of this lockdown just a little bit more bearable.

Today I binge watched It's a Sin and spent the day crying but in a strange way it was uplifting thanks.

Going to try to have an early night and then hit the week running. My sister has asked me to babysit on Wednesday morning as she has a doctor's appointment. I'm crazy excited because I haven't seen her or her kids since before Christmas. I have a housemate I rarely see but technically don't live alone so couldn't have a bubble. Now I have a genuine, allowable reason to see them. They live 20 minutes away so outside my 5km.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Today I binge watched It's a Sin and spent the day crying but in a strange way it was uplifting thanks.

Going to try to have an early night and then hit the week running. My sister has asked me to babysit on Wednesday morning as she has a doctor's appointment. I'm crazy excited because I haven't seen her or her kids since before Christmas. I have a housemate I rarely see but technically don't live alone so couldn't have a bubble. Now I have a genuine, allowable reason to see them. They live 20 minutes away so outside my 5km.

Good luck Caramica , you should practice your handbrake U turns in case of Guarda check points:pac:

• Advertisement

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Good luck Caramica , you should practice your handbrake U turns in case of Guarda check points:pac:

Thankfully childminding is allowed ;)

It's just a beautiful, isn't it. Broke my heart. :(

Good to hear you had a better day today Caranica and that you have something to look forward to.

In times like these we all need things to look forward to, no matter how small.

Morning all. It's lovely and sunny out so we're just in from a walk. Having a nice cup of tea while little man munches on a pear :)

Caranica, so sorry to hear you've been having such a tough time. I hope things continue to improve for you.

Hubby is off this week so it'll be nice to have a bit of company. Planning on putting up my fancy new wallpaper :D
    Oh and over the weekend we decided we're getting artificial grass. I love my garden but I'm so fed up with the mud!! Looking forward to getting it done once businesses start back at work :)

Hope everyone has a lovely Monday :)

SCOOP 64 wrote: »

The checkpoints are bizarre, I've been stopped 5 or 6 times just driving to the local shops for the weekly groceries, but have not been stopped at all driving across the country with work. Its so random.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

jellybear wrote: »
    Oh and over the weekend we decided we're getting artificial grass. I love my garden but I'm so fed up with the mud!! Looking forward to getting it

You won't regret it, love ours as even after a bit of rain it's dry in no time so the kids can get back outside. Looks perfect all year round too.

You won't regret it, love ours as even after a bit of rain it's dry in no time so the kids can get back outside. Looks perfect all year round too.

Awh that's great to hear! Between our lurcher and the toddler, I think we'll get so much use out of it! We've been thinking about it for about 3 years...I just wish we'd decided on it sooner!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭shoes43

I was the same on Saturday I sometimes feel like there is no light at the end of the tunnel. I am currently still working albeit three and half days a week but not sure how long more that is going to last. It can be hard trying to stay positive and hopefully once vaccines are rolled out faster we will see the light.

I am extremely long term lurker on the Christmas forum and love reading all the posts on the different pages and it really helps. I have just calculated that I have about 140 days to work from now until the 1st of December.

Welcome, shoes. :)

Less of this lurking, stay and talk to us! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

jellybear wrote: »
    Awh that's great to hear! Between our lurcher and the toddler, I think we'll get so much use out of it! We've been thinking about it for about 3 years...I just wish we'd decided on it sooner!

Unbelievably warm in the sun too....Great for the kids as even the little one can crawl around and there's no getting dirty - same applies to big kids too!

The sunshine is brilliant, it doesn't reach my side of the building but am currently on a bench outside blinding myself while I eat my left over chicken and stuffing sandwich :) I'm just going to ignore those clouds over there....

Mmmmmm chicken and stuffing. :D

Mmmmmm chicken and stuffing. :D

With a little sampling of cranberry sauce, twas divine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭appledrop

Caranica sometimes a good cry helps us all feel better!

It's a sin is one of best programmes I've watched in a long time.

I think we are all feeling a bit despondent and to be honest I think our politicians and media are to blame for a lot of it.

It's all doom and gloom they give us nothing to look forward to. MM saying could be looking at continuing this to May is ludicrous. Even if that's going to be case you don't make a statement like that ad hoc. I've stopped listening to news and radio because sick of all negative spin by scientist who want us locked up forever.

It's all negative all time rather than praising people. Get a move on with the vaccines like other countries!

I went to my local park on Sunday, yes I was within my 5km and they had actually closed the gates to stop people going in.

Now its a huge park estate so we paked nearby and walked in and were never near anyone the whole time but if the government thinks that kind of thing can continue until May they would want to cop on.

What harm are people doing in open air in subshine?

Now I have no time whatsoever for Boris Johnson but at least he is trying to give people hope.

Sorry for rant I know this is positive forum, just annoyed by it all today and damage I feel it is doing to people's mental health!

I always dread Micháél Martin's speech because of how boring they are at least Leo used throw in a movie quote.

• Advertisement

Chance would be a fine thing if MM would actually speak to us these days!
    I feel like I'm being ghosted on a dating app. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭appledrop

Ha ha Posy that's after giving me a great laugh!

Yea like why are we yet again stuck with 'leaks' about schools, restrictions etc. Just talk to us MM!

Cut to Posy out MM house screaming. I can change Micheal, I can change!!!!

I doubt he knows what a dating app or ghosting is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Hilarious :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement