Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do landlords prefer to take a single person for an apartment rather than a couple?

Options
  • 22-09-2020 8:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a place to share with my girlfriend. I've emailed a good few ads now for 1 bed / 2 bed apartments.

Short intro with age, current work, mentioning we both have great references.

I never get a reply.

I'm aware this might just be due to the volume of people sending them emails on daft. But I wonder is it because we're a couple? Would a landlord prefer to rent out the place to one person? Less hassle I guess? Less wear & tear on the apartment & appliances etc. I'm trying to put myself in their shoes to figure out the best "cover letter".

First time looking for a place as a couple so perhaps I'm just being a bit paranoid.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

There was a thread on here about this a few weeks ago. Do a search and you'll find lots of info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Caranica wrote: »
    There was a thread on here about this a few weeks ago. Do a search and you'll find lots of info.

Couldn't find anything. Went back a few pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Couldn't find anything. Went back a few pages.

Using the search facility....

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=114262069

Caranica wrote: »

I did. Searched for the word "single". I followed your instructions and nothing from a "couple of weeks ago" came up. That's like a month and a half old.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I'm looking for a place to share with my girlfriend. I've emailed a good few ads now for 1 bed / 2 bed apartments.

Short intro with age, current work, mentioning we both have great references.

I never get a reply.

I'm aware this might just be due to the volume of people sending them emails on daft. But I wonder is it because we're a couple? Would a landlord prefer to rent out the place to one person? Less hassle I guess? Less wear & tear on the apartment & appliances etc. I'm trying to put myself in their shoes to figure out the best "cover letter".

First time looking for a place as a couple so perhaps I'm just being a bit paranoid.

As a LL I’d like to see a couple. Perception of less risk due to possibility of less parties etc

But bear in mind, if that couple start having kids it can become right and a one bed is not the place for a growing family but that can be dealt with when/of the time comes.

• Advertisement

Gumbo wrote: »
    As a LL I’d like to see a couple. Perception of less risk due to possibility of less parties etc

But bear in mind, if that couple start having kids it can become right and a one bed is not the place for a growing family but that can be dealt with when/of the time comes.

OK good to know, and... no. We're not planning on squeezing out kids.

We're both house sharing at the moment in separate houses. It will be our first time actually looking for a full apartment for ourselves.

What info other than the below would you be looking for if you were renting out a place?

Short intro with current job & age.
    Mention we both have great references.
    Non smokers.
    No pets.
    I guess no kids too?
    What about saying that we're not going to have crazy house parties.

I'm totally out of touch - I've been renting the same place for the last 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,335 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I advertised a 1-bed apartment within the last year, and had to take the ad down after about 8 hours - I was absolutely buried under an avalanche of replies, some with life stories attached. I was shocked!

The place had been rented to the same person (on his own, as it happens) for about the last 5 years so I wasn't really aware of the demand that's out there lately.

I first offered it to a fella on his own again (less wear and tear being my rationale, and he seemed like a nice sensible guy) but he didn't take it - and I wound up renting it to a couple coming from separate houseshares like you.

So you need to be quick off the mark firstly. And I can't say exactly what your reply should contain, but it needs to sound normal! Some of the replies I got were just off the wall, and were never getting considered.

Best of luck with it, I don't envy you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

OK good to know, and... no. We're not planning on squeezing out kids.

We're both house sharing at the moment in separate houses. It will be our first time actually looking for a full apartment for ourselves.

What info other than the below would you be looking for if you were renting out a place?

Short intro with current job & age.
    Mention we both have great references.
    Non smokers.
    No pets.
    I guess no kids too?
    What about saying that we're not going to have crazy house parties.

I'm totally out of touch - I've been renting the same place for the last 5 years.

Say that you're ready to move in now and that you have your deposit & rent ready immediately.

Advertisement