Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NCT Waiting List

• 22-09-2020 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Just logged in to book my NCT which is up at the end of November. I thought I was on the ball by booking 2 months in advance. Turns out the earliest available slot in Limerick or Ennis is the 4th of January! This is crazy, will the guards be sympathetic towards me if I'm a month overdue?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Try around 930 at night, that's when they release the cancelled tests back to rebook. Double check your NCT date on their website, most were extended by 4 months because of Covid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

TPMP wrote: »
    Just logged in to book my NCT which is up at the end of November. I thought I was on the ball by booking 2 months in advance. Turns out the earliest available slot in Limerick or Ennis is the 4th of January! This is crazy, will the guards be sympathetic towards me if I'm a month overdue?
    I am in a similar situation. I can't see why the Gardai would pull people over this particular issue given the unprecedented circumstances we are living in at present so as long as your tax and insurance are in order you should be fine. I'm still driving away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Mine was due in July but extended because of Covid. It is now an expiry sometime in November. I have a mid Nov test booked and I booked that 6 weeks ago. I had to wait until a certain time as well because if you book it, even if it is around the due time, they consider it a voluntary early test and give you a different date on the cert. Stupid company they are altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭TPMP

Berty wrote: »
    Mine was due in July but extended because of Covid. It is now an expiry sometime in November. I have a mid Nov test booked and I booked that 6 weeks ago. I had to wait until a certain time as well because if you book it, even if it is around the due time, they consider it a voluntary early test and give you a different date on the cert. Stupid company they are altogether.

This was exactly the position I was in. The only reason I hadn't booked it sooner was because I had a newborn and the cars NCT wasn't on my mind. I'll wait until 9.30 tonight and tomorrow and if nothing frees up in the meantime i'll just book it for January and hope for the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Do not the book the test online, ring them , if they can’t provide you a test within 30days at your chosen test centre then you will get the test for free.

If you book online you will pay the fee regardless.

• Advertisement

TPMP wrote: »
    I see the 10th of October available in Nenagh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Cordell

As said above, ring them, you will get a closer date, or they will put you on a waiting list so you'll get any cancelled slot before it's made available on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

Cordell wrote: »
    As said above, ring them, you will get a closer date, or they will put you on a waiting list so you'll get any cancelled slot before it's made available on the site.

Good information. Thanks for that Cordell.

My wife's was due in July but pushed out to November. I checked and the next date available in Limerick was early January.

I called them up as you said and was advised that I would be put on a list for Limerick and will get notice of an appointment within the next 2-3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mdmix

keep trying, lots of slots popup at short notice. I was able to book my test within a 48hr window and my retest was the same. Both in Limerick.

XsApollo wrote: »
    Do not the book the test online, ring them , if they can’t provide you a test within 30days at your chosen test centre then you will get the test for free.

If you book online you will pay the fee regardless.

Solid advice. I rang them yesterday and got a text this morning for a test in a couple of weeks, thanks.

• Advertisement

Cordell wrote: »
    This is sound advice alright. I rang them and managed to get an appointment on the 9th of October.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yeah, ringing is the only way now. I had to ring for mine and got a text within 2 days saying the test was 3 weeks later. Only downside is you get what you get and that's it. Have the re-test to get now, needs to go back up on the lift, and there's nothing before December. I'll wait until the work is done and ring them again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Why are you all so eager to get the NCT done ASAP? They've added a 4 month validity extension to the expiry date due to COVID so there's no pressure to get it tested before the date on your disc. The Gardai are obviously fully aware of this deferral situation for all cars. I just got an email yesterday saying my October expiry has been pushed out until February 2021 so my test is not now due until then. Happy days!

The only reason I'd see someone wanting their test sooner is if they're planning to sell their car imminently and want the 12 months NCT added to boost the sale price. That doesn't seem to be the concern of the posters here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Have they added Another 4 months on top of the already added few months of extension?
    I presume they are at the end of the extension period already, like myself?

XsApollo wrote: »
    Have they added Another 4 months on top of the already added few months of extension?
    I presume they are at the end of the extension period already, like myself?

I'm also coming towards the end of my extension period, I suspect everyone here is in the same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

ongarboy wrote: »
    Why are you all so eager to get the NCT done ASAP? They've added a 4 month validity extension to the expiry date due to COVID so there's no pressure to get it tested before the date on your disc. The Gardai are obviously fully aware of this deferral situation for all cars. I just got an email yesterday saying my October expiry has been pushed out until February 2021 so my test is not now due until then. Happy days!

The only reason I'd see someone wanting their test sooner is if they're planning to sell their car imminently and want the 12 months NCT added to boost the sale price. That doesn't seem to be the concern of the posters here.

The NCT regularly costs people a few hundred in repairs/services so some find it best to have it done before Christmas so there's no nasty surprises in the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Ruairi.g

My NCT was due around now, but has now got the four month extension until the end of February 2021, happy days!
    The car though is in great condition and I honestly don’t think it requires anything for its next nct!
    If I get the test done, within the ninety days of its new expiry (02/21) will the new expiry date be pushed out until February 2022, or only until the end of October 2021?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

Ruairi.g wrote: »
    My NCT was due around now, but has now got the four month extension until the end of February 2021, happy days!
    The car though is in great condition and I honestly don’t think it requires anything for its next nct!
    If I get the test done, within the ninety days of its new expiry (02/21) will the new expiry date be pushed out until February 2022, or only until the end of October 2021?

it will only be 1 or 2 years (depending on age) from the actual test date if you do it early.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Garibaldi?

If you do your NCT in Feb 1923 although it was actually due in September 2022(Covid delay) does anyone know what will be the date of the next test? The car is 2014. Thanks

Advertisement