Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for full house wifi coverage?

Options
  • 22-09-2020 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭

We currently use the virgin router for wireless and connecting to the internet. The signal is pretty poor, leaving us using extenders upstairs and a few paired main connectors which aren't great.

The virgin router is in a converted garage, so technically outside the main house, accessible through a side door. So a 12 inch wall between them.

It could be that the virgin router just isn't up to the job.
    Would anyone have any recommendations for getting stronger wireless around the house? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

yep. i had a similar problem with a black hole upstairs at the far end of the house.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/8-things-powerline-adapters-need-know-first/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-WPA4220-Powerline-Extender-Broadband-Configuration/dp/B00DEYDF8I/ref=psdc_430576031_t3_B01BECPIMC

Powerline adaptors are now cheap as chips. that one will give you wifi in the room. The one proviso here is because virgin router is in garage, that could be on a seperate circuit board/breaker? it needs to be on same circuit.

I personally just got a power line adaptor (not wifi) and a seperate router https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07C8DNJZL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

the router gave me good wifi through the whole of upstairs on a separate wireless network. speeds are decent (for me on my copper wiring) reaching 40mb when plugged into the adaptor, i get 85 ish via wired in the ISP router.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

yep. i had a similar problem with a black hole upstairs at the far end of the house.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-WPA4220-Powerline-Extender-Broadband-Configuration/dp/B00DEYDF8I/ref=psdc_430576031_t3_B01BECPIMC

Powerline adaptors are now cheap as chips. that one will give you wifi in the room. The one proviso here is because virgin router is in garage, that could be on a seperate circuit board/breaker? it needs to be on same circuit.

I personally just got a power line adaptor (not wifi) and a seperate router https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07C8DNJZL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

the router gave me good wifi through the whole of upstairs on a separate wireless network. speeds are decent (for me on my copper wiring) reaching 40mb when plugged into the adaptor, i get 85 ish via wired in the ISP router.

So did you plug the router into the powerline adaptor?

Is there a solution where there's a separate circuit? I've a wing of the house that's on a separate circuit and can't figure how to extend wifi into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

?Cee?view wrote: »
    So did you plug the router into the powerline adaptor?

Is there a solution where there's a separate circuit? I've a wing of the house that's on a separate circuit and can't figure how to extend wifi into it.

Do you mean it has its own supply from the ESB?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Do you mean it has its own supply from the ESB?

No, same supply, but there is a separate fuse box (or whatever the modern switch things are called) for the area.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭PatrickSmithUS

We have Sky Broadband.

There's a Sky Q TV box and the router in the main living room and initially we had issues getting a good signal in the main bedroom upstairs and the sun room at the back of the house.

I lodged a complaint with Sky and they sent out the Engineer who installed two mini routers to boost the signal, free of charge.

Couldn't complain, well happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

We have a few Powerline adapters, but the download speed test was 10Mb/s which is terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I think it might be a good thing to take things in steps so I bought this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00TDV2IS4

The range is supposed to be pretty good, should be arriving next week. I'll let you know how it goes.
    If it works and I can take everyone else off the mains network, I might try running one to the garden shed and using that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Device you linked might be better than ISP's provided in regard WiFi, but still - passing through 12' wall...
    Depend how far house extend from garage side you will/might loose 5GHz benefit as it wont reach beyond 10-15m through couple walls or signal will degrade.
    What you really need is to run Ethernet cable from main router into the house. From there you can expand you in-house network by Nighthawk or other means.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭dam099

Device you linked might be better than ISP's provided in regard WiFi, but still - passing through 12' wall...
    Depend how far house extend from garage side you will/might loose 5GHz benefit as it wont reach beyond 10-15m through couple walls or signal will degrade.
    What you really need is to run Ethernet cable from main router into the house. From there you can expand you in-house network by Nighthawk or other means.

Agree, even a short ethernet cable punched through that wall so the router is inside the wall might make a huge difference and needn't involve a major wiring job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

Looking for a bit of help here please

Similar situation...
    House has attic converted, so the room up there struggles to get decent consistent speeds from the Virgin router downstairs in living room
    Just went out and bought this powerline adapter set, which will give a wired connection to the room. We previously had one of these a few years ago, but can't find the adapters, but from memory, it worked very well

This will cover the main requirement which is a laptop, but there are also mobile phones, tablets, Xbox etc

So to provide a wifi signal within that room, we bought this router also
    My plan was to run the powerline adapters, plug the new router into the one in the attic, use a port on that for the laptop, and then set up a new WiFi network, solely for use within that room

Problem is, I am about to set it up, and after some very brief reading, i came across an article which said "Do NOT plug yourLAN cable from Powerline adapter into the WAN port of the router"

I've stopped dead and not opened boxes or anything yet and I'm looking for some guidance here please.

Is that router suitable for what i want to do?
    Can I create a new standalone WiFi network within that room doing what I described?
    Should I have got a different Powerline set which gives a LAN connector in the room, but then creates a wifi network also?

Would really appreciate any help here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    Looking for a bit of help here please

Similar situation...
    House has attic converted, so the room up there struggles to get decent consistent speeds from the Virgin router downstairs in living room
    Just went out and bought this powerline adapter set, which will give a wired connection to the room. We previously had one of these a few years ago, but can't find the adapters, but from memory, it worked very well

This will cover the main requirement which is a laptop, but there are also mobile phones, tablets, Xbox etc

So to provide a wifi signal within that room, we bought this router also
    My plan was to run the powerline adapters, plug the new router into the one in the attic, use a port on that for the laptop, and then set up a new WiFi network, solely for use within that room

Problem is, I am about to set it up, and after some very brief reading, i came across an article which said "Do NOT plug yourLAN cable from Powerline adapter into the WAN port of the router"

I've stopped dead and not opened boxes or anything yet and I'm looking for some guidance here please.

Is that router suitable for what i want to do?
    Can I create a new standalone WiFi network within that room doing what I described?
    Should I have got a different Powerline set which gives a LAN connector in the room, but then creates a wifi network also?

Would really appreciate any help here
    You should start your own thread, but ...
    Amazon would give you same router cheaper - according specs its only 100Base-T and only 2.4GHz. If can, return it and get something that is Gigabit Ethernet and has 5GHz along
    As for WAN port - some routers have dedicated one (blue) - dont use that, use other(amber)

Creating separate WiFi(different SSID) does not make your over-all internet speed better - still share same bandwidth. In some cases it makes even worse experience- if there is still coverage from the other one, your devices might remain on weaker until you manually change connection.
    Edit: oh, powerplugs also rated only 100Mbps - are you purposely limiting your network?

TL-WR841N_EU_14.0_03_normal_1524475432652f.jpg

Advertisement