Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a small tree to go along garden fence

Options
  • 22-09-2020 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭

I want to plant some trees along the fence at the back of the garden but I need some help finding the right type. I'm very much a beginner on the topic.

The section of fence is about 12m long. It's about 7ft high on one end and slopes down to about 6ft on the other end. It's on the north end of the garden, so it gets full sun, and there are no houses behind me.

I don't want something really dense that would completely block the view, and I also don't want anything too tall. About 12ft would be a nice height I think.

I really like the look of silver birches, but I'm not sure if the can be easily kept to that size, or even if they would look right. The bright bark and light, 'airy' leaves would be perfect.

Any pointers here would be very much appreciated. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

12ft is a small tree, you will find it difficult enough to find trees that stay that height and are not too 'solid'. Silver birches are lovely but can grow very tall so are not suited to your purpose, there are smaller ones that will grow to maybe 18ft, which outdoors is not that significantly bigger. Himalayan birch is one that is attractive and does not get too big.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭KingCong

Bamboo is another option, ok its not a tree but fits the bill if you want to keep the height to around 12 foot and and not have it too dense above the top of your fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Don't plant Bamboo. It's lovely while it's young but as it matures it spreads like mad and is a nasty job to remove. Even the clumpers start to spread after a number of years.. I have a Fargesia that is slowly taking over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Wyldwood wrote: »
    Don't plant Bamboo. It's lovely while it's young but as it matures it spreads like mad and is a nasty job to remove. Even the clumpers start to spread after a number of years.. I have a Fargesia that is slowly taking over.

This..... definitely steer clear, i had 2 that i had to dig out when i saw it sprouting about 3 meters away on the lawn, could not believe how difficult it was to get it all out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Thanks for the replies.

Himalayan birch looks great too. Tbh, I wasn't sure what the difference was between it and silver birches but if it's smaller, it looks a better option.

I'm possibly being conservative with the 12ft too, from guesstimating heights of neighbours trees, they're probably bigger than that but look fine.

I had also looked at bamboo but the rapid spreading put me off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Whatever you decide on, dont plant too near to that fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Garlinge wrote: »
    Whatever you decide on, dont plant too near to that fence.

What would be a suitable distance?

FWIW: It's a timber panel fence with gravel boards and concrete posts.

How far away from a fence you plant a tree or shrub does depend on the type of tree or shrub. Some trees would need to be planted anything from a minimum of a meter to two or three meters, depending on type. However a himalayan birch is a slender tree with a limited spread, and as you have no houses/gardens behind your fence you could plant it two to three feet away, provided you make sure the lower branches clear the fence as they grow.

I was thinking of the fence interrupting rainfall and if south facing, it could be a hot dry area. Good point about lower branches.

Once the tree gets established the rain shadow will be less significant, the roots will go down far enough to get what water it needs. That's why you water it in the first year.

• Advertisement

"Rain shadow" = good phrase, thanks Looksee!

Advertisement