Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mungret Cement Factory Roundabout Gridlock

• 22-09-2020 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'd really love to know why the Mungret cement factory roundabout can go for months at a time swinging between severe gridlock and being completely traffic free in the mornings?

This variation between the two extremes in traffic levels used to happen before COVID also - And is still going on even though so many people are working from home.

It had been fine for ages - My assumption at the time was that Analog or Regeneron or some other major employer in Raheen Industrial Estate had changed a shift time and that had cured the issue?

Please let me know your theories!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Don't forget there are roadworks along the dock road so likely impacting on it also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭adaminho

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Hi All,

I'd really love to know why the Mungret cement factory roundabout can go for months at a time swinging between severe gridlock and being completely traffic free in the mornings?

This variation between the two extremes in traffic levels used to happen before COVID also - And is still going on even though so many people are working from home.

It had been fine for ages - My assumption at the time was that Analog or Regeneron or some other major employer in Raheen Industrial Estate had changed a shift time and that had cured the issue?

Please let me know your theories!

Thanks.

Cycle lanes on Shannon bridge.......

joking!

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mart 23

Berty wrote: »
    Don't forget there are roadworks along the dock road so likely impacting on it also.

Are they widening the dock road towards the cement factory from the city side?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

What’s the Dock Road like inbound at this time, because I believe that’s what’s causing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

This also happens because nobody really knows what lane to get into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

The traffic lights on the N69 probably don't help matters. Empty road for a while and then a huge chunk of traffic. Also end up with tractors and learner drivers on that stretch so tailbacks coming towards the city are common.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Untitled.png

As far as I can tell, and I'm open to correction here, this entire issue happens because at certain times high volumes of traffic feed into this roundabout from the M7 and simply due to the fact that they are entering before the two roads that are backing up cars on either of these spend a very long time waiting to get on the roundabout and the tailbacks start immediately.

You literally sit there watching cars come off the motorway, clog the roundabout and nobody else gets a look-in.

The only way people coming from Clarina side or Fr. Russell road directions get on is if someone good-naturedly creates a gaps for them and waves them into the flow of traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭coxy123

I would agree with Mango Joe. Most of the increase at certain times of the day - usually early morning are being caused by traffic coming off the M7 - they have an advantage and as you say prevent other 2 major roads cars gaining access to the round about.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Just to point out that the M7 ends at the M20 Junction behind Carew Park. It's the N18 at this junction as it crosses the Dock Road, so make sure you're not doing 120kph on it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

The Traffic Lights at Enterprise Cars are a major part of the problem lately. Since the Road was resurfaced last week the filter light to allow outbound traffic to turn right into Enterprise comes on every 60 seconds or so. This means a Red Light for incoming Traffic, even if there is no Traffic coming out the Dock Road ???
    Also the Lights seem to out of sync at the next junction (Ashbourne Ave) with the "Atlas Aluminium" Lights. Both turning to Red at the same time, and turning Red more frequently since the resurfacing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

A lot of the gridlock is also people intentionally picking the wrong lane. I used to come from Raheen to get on ot the N18 Eastbound and the amount of people who sit in the roundabout lane for the Motorway on ramp and then try to nudge in on the Dock Road pisses me off massively

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭moby2101

Tree wrote: »
    A lot of the gridlock is also people intentionally picking the wrong lane. I used to come from Raheen to get on ot the N18 Eastbound and the amount of people who sit in the roundabout lane for the Motorway on ramp and then try to nudge in on the Dock Road pisses me off massively

completely agree , that and the fact that the majority of people cannot use a round about correctly.
    I had a crash there 3 years ago, thankfully no one was injured and only minor damage to both cars. Lady who crashed into me genuinely didn’t have a clue about lane designation on a roundabout (both coming from dock side, I was going to tunnel she was going back 360 to dock rd me inside lane coming off roundabout at 3 o clock , she outside lane clipped me as I was on approach to tunnel exit😩)

Advertisement