Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

You'd expect Mane to go to Barca when Messi leaves in summer. It's the only reason we splashed out on Jota, to bed him in before Mane leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

You'd expect Mane to go to Barca when Messi leaves in summer. It's the only reason we splashed out on Jota, to bed him in before Mane leaves.

It would be very Barcelona to spend big on a player who is 29 years old. If I were them I’d be trying to bring down the age of their team significantly.

I can’t see any of our front 3 leaving in a big move, they are in their prime and are probably slightly too old for Madrid or Barcelona to splash the cash. We will let them leave on our terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

Bar Origi, we've had no real backup for when any of the front three get injured. We buy one forward and the only reason we did was because Mane's leaving?
    I'd like to think we're improving the depth of the squad. I mean Liverpool has recently established itself as one of the best clubs in the world where as Barca are viewed as a sinking ship in comparison with Suarez being booted out, Messi wanting to leave and their last 3 embarrassing exits in the champions League.
    He'll stay.

**queue January transfer request from Mane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Chelsea's Lucas Piazon would beg to differ

I can't get my head around what Chelsea do with some players. Piazon signed another extension last year until 2022....he's been there since 2012!

And Marco van Ginkel, there since 2013, just signed a contract extension a few months ago - he hasn't played in their first team in 7 years

I get that certain players might think a Winston Bogarde situation suits them personally, but what's in it for Chelsea? Loan fees?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Mane and Salah and Firmino will all go when Liverpool are ready to move to the next bunch of 23-25 year old forwards. Minamino and Jota are here add Mbappe/Sancho/Haaland/Other next summer and then sell the fab three for 250 million.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,931 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

8-10 wrote: »
    I can't get my head around what Chelsea do with some players. Piazon signed another extension last year until 2022....he's been there since 2012!

And Marco van Ginkel, there since 2013, just signed a contract extension a few months ago - he hasn't played in their first team in 7 years

I get that certain players might think a Winston Bogarde situation suits them personally, but what's in it for Chelsea? Loan fees?

No idea, even the players they send on loan that end up becoming good never get given a chance at the club and are sold for peanuts anyway (Salah, KdB, Lukaku)

We should be looking at what Bayern Munich did with Ribery/Robben in regards to Salah and Mane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

We should be looking at what Bayern Munich did with Ribery/Robben in regards to Salah and Mane.

Keeping them until they're well past their prime, losing out on any resale value and taking a few seasons to properly replace them?

Well they do have Gnabry and Sane on the wings now, so maybe its not the worst idea.

We're a selling club, I don't think that has changed. We do get the best of who we sell, but next summer is sell time for Mane or Salah, and if 100m for Mane next summer strengthens us then it's a good deal, if Joto turns out to be his equal.

Madrid spent 100m rising to a possible 146m on Eden Buffet Hazard, and he has barely kicked a ball for Real and has one goal. We'll end up like Barca if we don't keep things fresh.Sometimes its beneficial to sell at the right time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

8-10 wrote: »
    I can't get my head around what Chelsea do with some players.

Ever since they sold Luiz for €50M and bought him back I convinced myself they're some nefarious money laundering scheme going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭plibige

We're a selling club, I don't think that has changed. We do get the best of who we sell, but next summer is sell time for Mane or Salah, and if 100m for Mane next summer strengthens us then it's a good deal, if Joto turns out to be his equal.

Madrid spent 100m rising to a possible 146m on Eden Buffet Hazard, and he has barely kicked a ball for Real and has one goal. We'll end up like Barca if we don't keep things fresh.Sometimes its beneficial to sell at the right time

I think we always will sell for the right price, the problem now is what way is the market going to be next summer, and will there be clubs to pay "the right price".

This summer in particular has proven that the mega money deals are going to be on a very much "case by case" bases for the next while.

I don't think City or PSG will pay silly money for too many players with FFP watching them like a hawk.

Barcelona don't have the money, Bayern never spent that big anyway, and Juventus will probably only get a marquee signing if Ronaldo leaves.

So realistically its Real Madrid and maybe Inter Milan that could buy Salah or Mane. And in a market with 2 bidders its hard to see us getting the figures we imagine they are worth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Ever since they sold Luiz for €50M and bought him back I convinced myself they're some nefarious money laundering scheme going on.

They did the same with Nemanja Matic. Sold for 2m bought back for 21m

Then there were players like Alexi Smertin and Tal Ben Haim who seemed like they were being bought as favours.

Really weird stuff, their overall player turnover since Abramovich came has been incredible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

We'll always sell for the right price if it benefits the team. We gain nothing for the future of the team to leave that front 3 together into their 30's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Things have completely changed at Liverpool ,

The likes of Thiago now want to come join us, Why would you go to Madrid or Barcelona if they are inferor to us ,

This years Champions League campaign could be very important in where we stand in the eyes of Europe's finest talents,

Its ourselves and Madrid being linked with Mbappe when have we ever been in this good a position,

I hope the club are looking at the likes of Haaland , Sancho, Mbappe and other top future stars to bring in to replace our current front 3 when there times are up .

Personally I have a hunch that Salah will be the first to go possibly next summer ,
    Mane to retire at Liverpool
    Bobby to move on in 3 years because he is no longer first choice,

There ages and current deals mean they would only go now for absolute crazy money ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Werner would of been part of the succession plan, bed him in for a season and then make him 1st choice next season after selling one of the lads. Salah does strike me as the one who would be most open to a move and would have the highest resale value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

A lot of players want to work with Klopp too so it's important that whenever/however he leaves, the club and squad is in a healthy state.

brevity wrote: »
    A lot of players want to work with Klopp too so it's important that whenever/however he leaves, the club and squad is in a healthy state.

The assumption is that when Klopp leaves it'll be his decision and not the club's, in other words he's not getting fired. Chances are that means the club is still in a good position when he hangs it up and we won't need to bring in a new coach who plans on shaking things up too much, we just need someone who already knows the system to keep things ticking along, which is why I really hope we're doing as it seems we are and preparing Pep Lijnders for the role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭allybhoy

All of sudden we seem to have a very strong squad, something that I didnt think we had last season. Our first 11 were exceptional and we had plenty of cover for midfield but other areas seemed weak. There will still be a drop from our front 3 to the backup but hopefully not as obvious as it was.

In the midfield and attacking areas we now have a lovely mix of experience, players at or coming into their peak and very talented youngsters.

Midfield
    Milner 34
    Henderson 30
    Wijnaldum 29
    Thiago 29
    Oxlade 27
    Fabinho 26
    Keita 25
    Grujic 24
    Jones 19

Attackers
    Firmino 29
    Mane 28
    Salah 28
    Shaqiri 28
    Origi 25
    Minamino 25
    Wilson 23
    Bewster 20
    Elliott 17

I know some of these players will move on before the end of the transfer windows. If reports are correct then surely, Wilson, Brewster, Grujic and maybe Shaq but looking at the above I would expect us to challenge on all front this season and be a bit stronger in the cups than we have been in previous years. We are probably still a bit light in defence with the lack of a young prospect apart from Neco at RB and maybe Koumetio.

Exciting times

Squad is that big you forgot Jota :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

Henderson & Matip will miss Arsenal game, Gomez & Billy back in training

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

allybhoy wrote: »
    Squad is that big you forgot Jota :pac:

I had originally left out Shaqiri as well :o

• Advertisement

Plenty of goals to get through from yesterday:

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

Love that both of Taki's goals came from the team pressing high and him being in the right place to pounce on the opportunity:

giphy.gif
    giphy.gif

Love everything about this goal, the pass from Rhys Williams, the centre-forward play from Origi and Jones showing once again that he's a natural in the box:

giphy.gif

Obviously it's a deflected finish but every touch from Jones here is beautiful:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Lovely bit of one-touch play from the second unit, would've liked to see Jones show some more awareness and get it to Elliot behind him but with how good he seems to be in front of goal it's hard to blame him:

giphy.gif

Tsimi's gonna fit right in with passes like this:

giphy.gif

Adrian triple save:

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

robwen wrote: »
    Henderson & Matip will miss Arsenal game, Gomez & Billy back in training

Wonder will he go Keita, Fabinho, Wijnaldum in the middle, or perhaps Fabinho in defence with Thiago in the middle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

Things have completely changed at Liverpool ,

The likes of Thiago now want to come join us, Why would you go to Madrid or Barcelona if they are inferor to us ,

This years Champions League campaign could be very important in where we stand in the eyes of Europe's finest talents,

Its ourselves and Madrid being linked with Mbappe when have we ever been in this good a position,

I hope the club are looking at the likes of Haaland , Sancho, Mbappe and other top future stars to bring in to replace our current front 3 when there times are up .

Personally I have a hunch that Salah will be the first to go possibly next summer ,
    Mane to retire at Liverpool
    Bobby to move on in 3 years because he is no longer first choice,

There ages and current deals mean they would only go now for absolute crazy money ,

Couldn't agree more. Can't see the attraction of leaving Liverpool for an inferior club, maybe 5 or 10 years ago when Real and Barca were much better.
    I think these players will want to stay during this time of dominance and go down as Liverpool legends, unless the lure of more money attracts them.
    Would live to see someone like Haaland join the club, Bobby would make a great super sub

Tusky wrote: »
    Wonder will he go Keita, Fabinho, Wijnaldum in the middle, or perhaps Fabinho in defence with Thiago in the middle.

I really hope Thiago starts, yeah his best position is arguably the same as Fabinho's but he's still top quality in any of the 3 midfield spots.

No reason not to deploy a de-facto double pivot with Keita as part of a three behind Salah. The attack works as hard as the middle does defensively after all.

No reason not to deploy a de-facto double pivot with Keita as part of a three behind Salah. The attack works as hard as the middle does defensively after all.

I'm very interested in a potential 4231 with Thiago and Fab as the base. We have so many players that can bring something different to the 10, as you said Keita works there, Wijnaldum plays there internationally and has done for every club before Liverpool, Minamino can do it, and we could even start Jota out wide and put Bobby there.

And of course Jones would love playing that role if he got the chance.

I'm sure there was a rule anyone talking about Salah, Mane or Bobby leaving was carded, is that not a thing??, where are the mods????, maybe it was a dream.
    I'm going to mentally citizen card everyone who does it from here on in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

I'm sure there was a rule anyone talking about Salah, Mane or Bobby leaving was carded, is that not a thing??, where are the mods????, maybe it was a dream.
    I'm going to mentally citizen card everyone who does it from here on in.

You on the substantial 9 euro meals again fella?

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    You on the substantial 9 euro meals again fella?

nah I try to limit the nonsense to the weekend

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Good win for the u23's, 5-3 v Utd, both finished with 10.

Ei1IZcaWkAEtxTL?format=jpg&name=4096x4096
    Ei1IZdjWkAEBezG?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Ei1IZeOX0AAgRVp?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Ei1GNE2WkAIMkE_?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/410059-sadio-mane-interview-thiago-jota-and-becoming-one-of-lfc-s-top-20-scorers

Mane’s second-half double at Stamford Bridge last weekend did not only provide Liverpool with a 2-0 win over Chelsea and three more Premier League points.

The brace saw the Senegal international make a landmark jump on the list of the club’s all-time top scorers, into the top 20 marksmen to have represented the Reds.

33646840-8775311-Luis_Suarez_has_revealed_he_is_excited_to_be_at_Atletico_Madrid_-a-55_1601115479217.jpg

He'd have looked better in a Liverpool Jersey. That jersey is rank

Barca offered Inter 15m for him. Embarrassing offer.
    Liverpool should swoop for him, offer 45m

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Brighton messed up big time there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Ikozma wrote: »

Yeah, in years gone by, I'd be annoyed.

But Utd are so far behind us that spawning 3 points against a Brighton team that should've stuffed them is actually completely irrelevant to us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Wish Liverpool were playing United soon. They are hopeless so far this season.

Man Utd talk on the United forum please! :D Don't need them polluting the League winners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Ikozma wrote: »

Yeah, you cannot hit the post 5 times and have 18-7 shots and complain if you get hit on the break, no matter how frustrating it is. Need to finish better. They will need to learn to break down opposition that is inferior to them and take the chances they give them to win against mid table teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

We probably still wouldn’t beat them away.

Great that other teams are starting to realise that they aren’t a good team anymore and playing the team in front of them rather than the reputation of the club.

• Advertisement

Didn't even watch it, mid table battles don't interest me at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Ardent

Good result. Keeps OGS in the job.

Pen United strike again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Man Utd talk on the United forum please! :D Don't need them polluting the League winners.

The last week on here has been all Suarez + Barcelona!!

Sure and I have no idea why to be honest. You'd think this thread was a pub snug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Don’t forget Cavani for some odd reason.

I've just realised, which is weird in itself, that I haven't watched a champions league final live since 2005. I realise this is odd as we have been in three of them. I can't remember what I was doing in 2007 but the RM and Spurs ones I was just too nervous. It's odd because I was on cloud 9 leading up to the RM final. I did record them and watched the Spurs game straight after.
    I need to figure if I need to see a psychologist or a psychiatrist.

I've just realised, which is weird in itself, that I haven't watched a champions league final live since 2005. I realise this is odd as we have been in three of them. I can't remember what I was doing in 2007 but the RM and Spurs ones I was just too nervous. It's odd because I was on cloud 9 leading up to the RM final. I did record them and watched the Spurs game straight after.
    I need to figure if I need to see a psychologist or a psychiatrist.
    nah not really!
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

10 years ago last Tuesday Liverpool lost to Northampton Town in the League Cup with Roy as manager.

The club has come a long way since then in 10 years.

FSG's 10th anniversary as owners is 10 days away.

Given the effort that the coaching staff are putting into seeking marginal gains, will we see a policy of playing against the oppositions arms?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement