Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Given the effort that the coaching staff are putting into seeking marginal gains, will we see a policy of playing against the oppositions arms?

To contradict my earlier post, this is something that Suarez was brilliant at! That 3-0 win at OT in 2014 was a perfect example of it. Just chipped it at Rafael's hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Well if a goal is needed late on I'd not be against seeing Klopp clap his hands to signal lofted shots at defenders when the play is inside the area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Given the effort that the coaching staff are putting into seeking marginal gains, will we see a policy of playing against the oppositions arms?

Mane did it to win a penalty v Spurs in the CL final, it looked deliberate too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Enzokk

If the new interpretation is that if your arm is in an unnatural position making your silhouette bigger and the ball hits it in the penalty area then it is a penalty, then it only makes sense to take advantage of it.

I don't get the shouting about the new interpretation from especially ex-players about the rule. Its weird that if the ball grazes your hand when you score a goal it is ruled out, but stopping the ball in the box with your hand, handball, is somehow not fair because of a vague "did not mean it" interpretation that they think is a thing.

Basically intentional handball is only a thing if you are defending but not attacking, which is a ridiculous way to think about handball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

It's a funny old game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Man if T Sliva was playing last week Mane could have it double figures.

Union Berlin set to sign Karius according to Kicker in Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Any fee mentioned?

For the best. If Adrian managed to start before him on Thursday he really had no chance.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Any fee mentioned?

For the best. If Adrian managed to start before him on Thursday he really had no chance.

No price, Google translate say an agreement that is Iron.

A loan for a year with an agreement to buy next season by the looks of it.

A Ings type deal.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

I'm no longer impressed by our win last weekend :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

They called thiago Silva the 2nd best defender in the league before kick off , the commentary.. have they forgotten vvd !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

They called thiago Silva the 2nd best defender in the league before kick off , the commentary.. have they forgotten vvd !

They said 'Isthmian League', I think.

Confirmed by Pearce now Karius to Union Berlin on season long loan.

https://twitter.com/JamesPearceLFC/status/1309908645707218944?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Any fee mentioned?

Hopefully we won't have to pay too much to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Karius is moving to Union Berlin to be with his missus. She traveled between Berlin and Turkey for him during his loan...now he is returning to allow her to spend more time on her own career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Klopps biggest mistake. Dunno what he saw in Karius . Will still be a Liverpool player, just no getting rid.

Klopps biggest mistake. Dunno what he saw in Karius . Will still be a Liverpool player, just no getting rid.

I'd say he's on a fairly low wage and only cost 4 million or so.

He's no Sanchez or Ozil.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I'd say he's on a fairly low wage and only cost 4 million or so.

He's no Sanchez or Ozil.

25k a week.

A lot for someone so useless.

We had to make that mistake to get Allison.

Klopps best mistake :)

25k a week.

25k a week is peanuts in the PL, If that's Klopps biggest mistake :)

• Advertisement

SO many penalties, so many players handling balls in the box.
    Is this the new football.
    Accidental handball that lead to a goal, is no goal. That's fair enough, still stupid, but understandable. But accidental handball's that have nothing to do with a goal are been awarded.

''rules around handball are based on the offense being deliberate, This is still the case''

Bull, every time a ball hits a hand now they award the penalty. As if the Brighton player made a decision, '' one second to go, you know what I'm going to handle it, fck it, why not''
    Eh no, it was headed on to him at point blank range, not deliberate. It was awarded basically because he has arms.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Mane did it to win a penalty v Spurs in the CL final, it looked deliberate too

I don't think the handball was deliberate but the build up phase leading up to the handball was definitely pre-planned.

Liverpool had planned to isolate Mane up against the right back and play the ball to him in space where he could then drive into a dangerous area. They worked on it in the friendly against Benfica B in the build up the final. Basically the same attack. No doubt Ljinders

https://twitter.com/andyrobertsons_/status/1136009080542236672?s=19

https://twitter.com/Squawka/status/1309933964203827202?s=19

He's also four goals out in front of Vardy and Salah since the 26th of September last year.

Letting him go is arguably worse than signing Karius.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

25k a week.

In comparison to those 2, it's absolutely nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Bull, every time a ball hits a hand now they award the penalty. As if the Brighton player made a decision, '' one second to go, you know what I'm going to handle it, fck it, why not''
    Eh no, it was headed on to him at point blank range, not deliberate. It was awarded basically because he has arms.

Ah now of all the handballs we’ve seen that was the most blatant and has always been given as penalty when spotted. He went for the ball leading with his arm.

https://twitter.com/Squawka/status/1309933964203827202?s=19

He's also four goals out in front of Vardy and Salah since the 26th of September last year.

No way, in my opinion.

At the time, getting 20m for Ings was a good fee received. He wasn't fit for a long time, 2 career threatening injuries and then when he was fit, he didn't suit Liverpool's style. Would I like him to be back at Liverpool? Of course. But would it be the best move for him, being a sub? No. Minamino probably suits us better and while Ings is a better option than Origi, Ings wouldn't suit the wide role that Origi has to do a lot.

It's a rare example of the transfer suiting all 3 parties involved.

I really like Ings too. A lad with proper character and not Rodgers/Lampard type character. Coming back from some big setbacks. Great workrate and desire. He seems to do a lot of charity work too, away from the public eye.

I'm very happy for him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Don't think so. He needs to be doing what he is doing now, starting every game. That was not going to happen at Anfield. Every pool fan is delighted to see him doing so well after his injuries with us. Had he stayed he would not have received much gametime.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Don't think so. He needs to be doing what he is doing now, starting every game. That was not going to happen at Anfield. Every pool fan is delighted to see him doing so well after his injuries with us. Had he stayed he would not have received much gametime.

I'm not being negative in any way shape or from but we did spend 40 million on Jota, is he going to start many games over our front 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭NewRed2

Nunu wrote: »
    Ah now of all the handballs we’ve seen that was the most blatant and has always been given as penalty when spotted. He went for the hall leading with his arm.

Yeah the good side of VAR was there today. That was 100% a penalty for Man Utd, it's bonkers to even debate it. I always get a giggle when I see other fans react to VAR decisions that go our way, it's kinda sad. So I'm not going to be a hypocrite and say I have any issues with their one today. Theirs today and ours against Leeds are both penos and both came via VAR intervention. And both correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

Karius is moving to Union Berlin to be with his missus. She traveled between Berlin and Turkey for him during his loan...now he is returning to allow her to spend more time on her own career.

Hope she's not a goalkeeper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

amber69 wrote: »
    Hope she's not a goalkeeper

They can handle each other well then I'm sure...

(Grabs coat)

I'm not being negative in any way shape or from but we did spend 40 million on Jota, is he going to start many games over our front 3.

I didnt say you were being negative, Jota and Ings 2 very different players, offer different things to Klopp and about 5 or 6 years of a difference too. Also, we might not actually spend 40 on him and we dont know how much we will get for him whenever we sell him. We did make a profit on the sale of Ings I believe.

I get yer point. And on the surface I can see someone looking at Ings goals since he left and the Jota fee and wondering.
    But you're not mentioning the role Ings plays for Saints where he's the spearhead of their attack and everything revolves around creating chances for him.
    Would that EVER have happened with Liverpool? No chance.
    At best he'd be in Origi's role, which let's face it means yer on the bench mostly. And by the way he was offered that option, he chose to leave, wasn't pushed.
    Ultimately Ings made the right decision, it worked out great for him, and I've never heard any of our fans or players with a bad word to say about him so sometimes a good player isn't a good fit for a team.

Now look at Jota, he doesn't have the same clinical eye for goal as Ings, neither does Fun Bobby by the way, but it's about the fit for the team.
    So I wouldn't worry about Ings, he's done great, club did great from the deal too, its made sense all round. It's a good thing.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I didnt say you were being negative, Jota and Ings 2 very different players, offer different things to Klopp and about 5 or 6 years of a difference too. Also, we might not actually spend 40 on him and we dont know how much we will get for him whenever we sell him. We did make a profit on the sale of Ings I believe.

I didn't say you were calling me negative, I was just referring to the signing of Jota. Only time will tell if Jota is successful but my original point was how little the club lost on the Karius deal compared to a player we let go who seems to have a great scoring record at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Fitz* wrote: »
    No way, in my opinion.

At the time, getting 20m for Ings was a good fee received. He wasn't fit for a long time, 2 career threatening injuries and then when he was fit, he didn't suit Liverpool's style. Would I like him to be back at Liverpool? Of course. But would it be the best move for him, being a sub? No. Minamino probably suits us better and while Ings is a better option than Origi, Ings wouldn't suit the wide role that Origi has to do a lot.

I really like Ings too. A lad with proper character and not Rodgers/Lampard type character. Coming back from some big setbacks. Great workrate and desire. He seems to do a lot of charity work too, away from the public eye.

I'm very happy for him.

Spot on. Sometimes everything is right in the football world, and this is the case with Ings. His career has sky-rocketed in a team that's built around him, Southampton got a great goalscorer and Liverpool got a decent fee for a player who had his injuries and just didn't suit the system. I know the usual thing is to feel that if a player flops (Ibe, Solanke etc) elsewhere then it's a great decision to sell them, but it can also be true in the case of a player who does very well elsewhere. Nothing wrong with that.

Bournemouth must be wondering what they did wrong! Southampton made a killing selling us a load of their players, and the one player they signed in return, came up trumps for them while Bournemouth bought a load of muck! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I didn't say you were calling me negative, I was just referring to the signing of Jota. Only time will tell if Jota is successful but my original point was how little the club lost on the Karius deal compared to a player we let go who seems to have a great scoring record at the moment.

We didn't lose on the Ings deal, he was unlucky with injuries with us and was unlikely to get much game time when we sold him. At the time Ings needed a run of games to get match fitness and form back, he was never going to get that at Liverpool. With the exception of a few short term injuries he's playing week in and week out at Southampton and is the main man there. He's the type of player that needs to be playing every week, again he wouldn't get that at liverpool. It was a good deal all round.
    Regarding your point about how little the club lost on the Karius deal, I'd argue that there was some financial implications in losing the 2018 CL which Karius was almost single handedly responsible for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

Fieldog wrote: »
    They can handle each other well then I'm sure...

(Grabs coat)

I was more worried about the babies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Girly Gal wrote: »
    We didn't lose on the Ings deal, he was unlucky with injuries with us and was unlikely to get much game time when we sold him. At the time Ings needed a run of games to get match fitness and form back, he was never going to get that at Liverpool. With the exception of a few short term injuries he's playing week in and week out at Southampton and is the main man there. He's the type of player that needs to be playing every week, again he wouldn't get that at liverpool. It was a good deal all round.
    Regarding your point about how little the club lost on the Karius deal, I'd argue that there was some financial implications in losing the 2018 CL which Karius was almost single handedly responsible for.

Was that intentional?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He needed to be at a club that would start him every week. 2 serious knee injuries, you can never expect to get match fit if your only getting sub appearances. Delighted he's doing so well and his injury troubles are behind him.

• Advertisement

Was that intentional?:D

Intentional or not, it's not actually fair. I don't think we'd have won that game even if Alison was playing. To be honest.
    I don't think Karius should carry the can entirely for that game, we probably wouldn't have won it anyway, especially after Ramos rugby tackle. It wasn't our time. We got our time after. Aside from early stages I thought Madrid edged it.
    We weren't as good back then as we are now.

NewRed2 wrote: »
    Intentional or not, it's not actually fair. I don't think we'd have won that game even if Alison was playing. To be honest.
    I don't think Karius should carry the can entirely for that game, we probably wouldn't have won it anyway, especially after Ramos rugby tackle. It wasn't our time. We got our time after. Aside from early stages I thought Madrid edged it.
    We weren't as good back then as we are now.
    Do you honestly believe Alisson would have conceded the 2 goals Karius did? That robbed the team of any chance of winning that final.
    You're correct that Madrid were better on the night, but, those two goals were decisive. There are also plenty of examples of the better team not winning finals. The one good thing to come from the final was that it forced the club to sort out the goalkeeper situation and we've since reaped the rewards. I do hope Karius does go on to rebuild his career, just not at Liverpool.

Do you honestly believe Alisson would have conceded the 2 goals Karius did? That robbed the team of any chance of winning that final.
    You're correct that Madrid were better on the night, but, those two goals were decisive. There are also plenty of examples of the better team not winning finals. The one good thing to come from the final was that it forced the club to sort out the goalkeeper situation and we've since reaped the rewards. I do hope Karius does go on to rebuild his career, just not at Liverpool.

No I definitely don't think Alisson would have conceded either of them.
    But I think Madrid were growing into the game as it went on and had more options from the bench and the game gradually turned their way bit by bit, especially after Mo went off.
    So yes I think we'd ultimately have lost the game because that was the pattern of the game.
    Maybe something could have happened to change it if Karius hasn't made the errors and we'll never know but no I don't think we'd have won that night even with Ally in goal and I'm just being honest.
    I wish Karius well, like you also did too there. I think its sad that he gets to carry the can for what happened by himself when its miles too simplistic to say we'd have won it with a different keeper. I don't think we would have, just my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Sometimes everything is right in the football world, and this is the case with Ings. His career has sky-rocketed in a team that's built around him,

Ings can only get better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I don't think Karius was that bad when he played for us.

Yes he had a stinker in the CL Final but I think he defo was not the worst keeper to play for us.

DrumSteve wrote: »

Yes he had a stinker in the CL Final but I think he defo was not the worst keeper to play for us.

He once took a goal kick and gave away a corner

I'm still amazed that something like that happened at that level of the game

• Advertisement

DrumSteve wrote: »

I don't think he was ever good enough to play for us, he lacks presence.I honestly can't remember him making any extraordinary saves for us and often failed to make standard saves. In my opinion I don't think we have had a worse first choice keeper.

I don't think he was ever good enough to play for us, he lacks presence.I honestly can't remember him making any extraordinary saves for us and often failed to make standard saves. In my opinion I don't think we have had a worse first choice keeper.

Diame's top corner shot fingertip save v Newcastle is the only one that stands out for me and even then Alisson probably makes the same save. Mad that all of this with Karius happened in 2018, seems like an age ago

8-10 wrote: »
    He once took a goal kick and gave away a corner

I'm still amazed that something like that happened at that level of the game

another one.

his collection of mistakes for Besiktas are nearly worse again believe it or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Fitz* wrote: »
    No way, in my opinion.

I'm very happy for him.

Couldn't agree more.

There was zero evidence he's have a season like last season tbh.

Something must have went wrong with the baptism.

Liverpool sweat on Alisson and Thiago fitness ahead of Arsenal test at Anfield

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/liverpool-team-news-alisson-thiago-injuries-arsenal-epl-b643942.html

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement