Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

It’s a joke football in the box is now basketball you can’t touch an attacker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Ardent

The thing that annoys me most with VAR and the pitch side monitors is they don't show any context before the freeze frame clip and so everything looks like a foul.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

It's not like Welbeck's even in possession of the ball, he just toes it away and then gets tapped.

Robertson kicked the bottom of his foot. If it were the other way round and Welbeck kicked the bottom of his foot they would have given a pen as well cause the refs are that incompetent.
    At least its early in the weekend so I know to turn off the games for the rest of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I hate saying this, but I think we saw the good and bad of VAR today. The bad on Salah’s offside. But the good on the pen. It saw something the ref missed and called attention to it. Isn’t that what it’s for?

It’s irritating as ****, but Robbo kicked out in the box, missed the ball, and hit the player. It wasn’t some little tap either, Robbo swung to kick through the ball, but didn’t make any contact on it. In the cold light of day, it’s hard not to give it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,931 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Anyway there's a game for anyone saying shít like "how can Klopp ask for five subs when he rarely makes any before the 85th minute?"

Two subs made by the hour mark, then a third is forced by injury, then Nat Phillips gets hurt but has to play on.

Two of Brighton's three subs were forced by injuries too, with one of those injuries being Lallana who was only subbed on eight minutes ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Football is just VAR and injuries these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

It's a kick in the teeth conceding so late but let's be honest if it was the other way round we would be wanting a penalty for that, those saying that they wouldn't would be deluding themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

Vudgie wrote: »
    Pretty idiotic of Robertson to be swinging like that in his own box in injury time, unnecessary. Definite penalty for me, despite it being infuriating as the ref didn’t give it.

Wouldn't have thought idiotic. His eyes are on the ball. They both went for it, and we're talking about the tiniest fraction of a second where Robertson is late. You deem that idiotic?

Both Robertson and Welbeck swing at the ball, Welbeck touches it but he doesn't win it in any way, he's not in possession, he just taps it away, it's just a 50/50 challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Jesus...my mood for the weekend is ruined.
    Hate loosing points late on in games.
    Always feels like a loss.
    We need to stay as close to top as possible,
    As controversial as it sounds I'd kiss Europe goodbye just to defend the league but there is no guarantees there either.
    No way can the players go on like this though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

It's not like Welbeck's even in possession of the ball, he just toes it away and then gets tapped.

Welbeck said he was in control of the ball. He wasn’t. He stuck his leg out and missed it

Interesting Peter Walton didn’t think it was a penalty and he usually sides with the ref’s decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Liverpool reserves top of the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Bull****, yet again.

In fact I'd say it's no different to that free kick Welbeck got when himself and Phillips went up for a header, Welbeck gets a head on the ball and Phillips bumps Welbeck, that doesn't mean it's a foul, it's just another 50/50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭bdmc5

I really wish we could go back to game without VAR. Its utterly destroying the enjoyment of scoring where instead im are dreading a VAR call every goal.

It's staggering how literally every marginal VAR decision is going against.this season. Ruling out 2 goals for us and granting them 2 Penos is unbelievable especially when the later is in 93rd minute.

Serious injuries every game we play us just making a bad situation every worse.

Also half the time that would be given as a free kick to Liverpool and they'd say Welbeck went in with his studs up and caught the top of Robertson's foot, there's no consistency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Both Robertson and Welbeck swing at the ball, Welbeck touches it but he doesn't win it in any way, he's not in possession, he just taps it away, it's just a 50/50 challenge.

It doesn’t really matter - if you swing at a 50/50 challenge and hit the man instead of the ball, it’s a foul.

Well in Jurgen. An absolute legend.

• Advertisement

eigrod wrote: »
    Well in Jurgen. An absolute legend.

What did he say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

Having argued in favour of VAR, at this point I'd support it being jettisoned. The officials can't be trusted with using it appropriately in the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭plibige

Really done with VAR at this stage. The offside stuff is just wrong and I can't accept its interpretation anymore.

There has been so many pedantic uses of it this season alone. Like I know I'm not the only one who doesn't celebrate a goal anymore because I'm waiting for it to be disallowed.

Whether they are getting the decision right or wrong, its anti entertainment. And football is meant to be entertaining.

At least now with all these decisions going against us it puts to bed the myth of "LiVARpool". Not that i want it done this way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

The Everton game will live long in klopps memory and set his tone for the season in regards to VAR, thought today was a pen myself today and we weren't good enough for what it's worth.

Ardent wrote: »
    What did he say?

Said the decisions were correct and berated the interviewer for trying to get a headline. Now having an argument with interviewer about the 12.30 ko times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

I'm done with it all now, I'll be taking a break from here for a while, I mean what's the point of discussing anything football related anymore when the game is all but finished, we may as well be discussing wwe because that's what the game has descended to, its like a scripted pantomime at this stage, var has completely killed the game for me anyway and I just can't enjoy it anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

No win in the last 4 away games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

It’s a joke football in the box is now baseball you can’t touch an attacker

That's not true. You can kick lumps out of Mo with no repercussions most weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

My issue with the penalty is that ALL the officials are looking for is contact. There's is no consideration for how much contact, or whether it was enough to really stop Welbeck.

The game, as a whole, has become on non contact sport.

Even in the images Attwell was shown, the emphasis was on the point of contact. Not how much contact. It was simply whether Welbeck was touched. Which is lunacy.

You could see Klopp afterwards gesturing in his conversation with Attwell that it was a graze under the boot. Attwell just shrugged. Welbeck called it soft FFS.

It just felt like absolute bullshít.

We'll get a decision like that too at some point I've no doubt. And it will be bullshít again.

Klopp rant over. He really has it in for BT at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Wow, that was some interview with Klopp and Des Kelly.

I thought it was going to end in a scrap.

I thought Kelly had a point though. Klopp needs to escalate his fight within the club and the league and no point in having a go at the interviewer.

Dermot Gallacher didn't think it was a pen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

That interviewer had only one goal - to get a reaction from Klopp. What a clown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

At least BT aired it unlike Sky who refused to air Klopp’s interview last week because he criticised them.

Dermot Gallacher didn't think it was a pen.

Of course he didn't. Neither did Walton on BT. because it wasn't a penalty in any world that isn't slowed down on a TV monitor to simply find a point of contact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I would rather live in a world where some offside decisions are wrong than in one in which every decision is scrutinised to the nearest mm.

I would rather live in a world where the ref misses some fouls than one on in which he is shown a freeze frame of a ball brushing a hand or a players foot brushing an opponent.

Not only does it seem the people in charge of bringing in this nonsense don't understand football, it seems like they actually don’t like the game. An awful lot of the joy has ben smothered out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

murpho999 wrote: »
    Wow, that was some interview with Klopp and Des Kelly.

I thought it was going to end in a scrap.

I thought Kelly had a point though. Klopp needs to escalate his fight within the club and the league and no point in having a go at the interviewer.

I'm sure has been escalated within the league and club and gone no where, hence Klopp making the fight public.

He's not "having a go at the interviewer" he's stating his case in the one opportunity he gets to speak live on television.

The league is a crapshoot. We may win, may not.

But with European competing teams playing every 3 days until February, I will be shocked if there is any real consistency from any team.

Its physically impossible to keep up the standard required to keep winning games against largely decent teams.

He's not "having a go at the interviewer" he's stating his case in the one opportunity he gets to speak live on television.

I think he did a bit, saying "you chose this".

Look, I agree with his point but when he keeps going on about it then it just comes across as bitter to other viewers.

• Advertisement

Christ Almighty what an awful take, you wouldn't be able to tell he's employed by BT now would you?

https://twitter.com/GaryLineker/status/1332699585756717057?s=20

Just an incredibly disgusting DELIBERATE misrepresentation of Klopp's argument in order to make it look like he doesn't care about people suffering through a global pandemic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

SlickRic wrote: »
    My issue with the penalty is that ALL the officials are looking for is contact. There's is no consideration for how much contact, or whether it was enough to really stop Welbeck.

The game, as a whole, has become on non contact sport.

Even in the images Attwell was shown, the emphasis was on the point of contact. Not how much contact. It was simply whether Welbeck was touched. Which is lunacy.

You could see Klopp afterwards gesturing in his conversation with Attwell that it was a graze under the boot. Attwell just shrugged. Welbeck called it soft FFS.

It just felt like absolute bullshít.

We'll get a decision like that too at some point I've no doubt. And it will be bullshít again.
    The game has been pretty much non contact for years made worse by players falling over at the least touch and/or feigning injury.
    Blame the managers....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

SlickRic wrote: »
    Of course he didn't. Neither did Walton on BT. because it wasn't a penalty in any world that isn't slowed down on a TV monitor to simply find a point of contact.

It was a foul in the box. Once they looked at it we were in trouble. Very very annoying.

murpho999 wrote: »
    I think he did a bit, saying "you chose this".

Look, I agree with his point but when he keeps going on about it then it just comes across as bitter to other viewers.

None of the 4 teams playing this evening played in Europe in the week - I think that’s the frustrating part.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Christ Almighty what an awful take, you wouldn't be able to tell he's employed by BT now would you?

Just an incredibly disgusting DELIBERATE misrepresentation of Klopp's argument in order to make it look like he doesn't care about people suffering through a global pandemic.
    Hahahaha you can't make it up but it's pretty standard warfare tactic.

Just like when a recession happens and employers start taking the piss, but justify it by telling you how lucky you are compared to others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Lineker knows who his paymasters are just like Keys does with BeIN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

None of the 4 teams playing this evening played in Europe in the week - I think that’s the frustrating part.
    No harm handicapping the bigger teams...intentional or otherwise.

Yes I agree, I think everyone would but don't think Klopp should get involved with arguments with interviewers about it. Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

Has to be given.
    Hendo (someone) should have been in the refs ear re. a handball in the build-up?
    Get them to look at more than just the moment.
    Clutching at straws...

• Advertisement

Jake Humphrey now on BT saying that Klopp's "obsession" with broadcasters is causing his team to drop points and that he should forget about that and stick to trying to win games. They're reeling at the thought of someone calling out their scheduling, they don't want to have the argument they just want to tell him to shut up and go away.

Liverpool are top of the league and top of their Champions League group, he's doing a pretty good job of trying to win games.

Also they're all pushing this idea that Klopp's just mad because his team dropped points, despite the fact that he said the exact same last week when we absolutely smashed Leicester.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement