Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    At this stage, that's still kind of irrelevent though... the worry is Jose and Lampard either of whom can go top after this weekend, and both have strong squads with few/no injuries. And even Pep only 6 points behind with a game in hand. This year is going to be very very hard with a depleted squad unless we start getting a bit of luck soon.

City have the ability to ream off 10 wins in a row and get back in the race, IMHO they are the danger.
    Frank has a squad of brilliant players, but he's very green, and I don't think he'll get the best out of them. Jose is obviously very experienced, but Sir Harry is bound to miss 7-10 games with an injury before long, and can Bale step up when that happens??? Remains to be seen, but been a long time since he's been performing on the pitch week on week. If things start going wrong, Jose will lash out and you could see him losing the squad.

In brief, I believe City are the real danger here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Regarding our injuries,TAA is a fortnight away,we will be lucky to get one game a week out of Matip and he might still get injured.Milner will surely be out for a couple of weeks,Will we see Thiago this side of Christmas? Ox is a couple of weeks away and will prob take him a month to get up to speed. As for Shaq and Kieta god only knows,they are made of glass. Gini and Roberston are being flogged to death so only a matter of time before they break down. Henderson and Fab are going to be asked to cover about 5 positions between the both of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

The Ajax game is really precarious.

I'd love to say play your strongest team but we really can't afford to lose anyone else.

Play a B team and then the pressure on the last away game is colossal.

I am glad I don't have to make the decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭giveitholly

noodler wrote: »
    The Ajax game is really precarious.

I'd love to say play your strongest team but we really can't afford to lose anyone else.

Play a B team and then the pressure on the last away game is colossal.

I am glad I don't have to make the decision.

At this stage no matter what 11 you put out,you are at the risk of someone getting injured. So do you go full strength(whatever that is at this stage) or do you rest a few and play a few first teamers and it ends up like the Atalanta game, As you said not easy what to do at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,349 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Playing the their proper positions today, Fab played but he is not a CB.

Ali

Robbo

Gini

Salah
    Bobby

Strongest 11

Ali

TAA
    Matip
    VVD
    Robbo

Hendo
    Fab
    Gini

Salah
    Bobby
    Mane.

at least you cant give out about a rotation option in thiago missing a few games.

good argument for jota as well in the best 11. possibly the signing of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

at least you cant give out about a rotation option in thiago missing a few games.

good argument for jota as well in the best 11. possibly the signing of the season.

Jota's been brilliant, no doubt about it, but if we were in the Champions League final tomorrow with our whole squad fit, that 11 AC named is unquestionably the starting lineup. (the only possible doubt would be maybe Gomez in for Matip - it's a toss up though, and in our actual last champions league final Matip did indeed get the nod).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

The injury to Milner means that 2 positions are now down another man.

Neco Williams cant be expected to play every game, especially when he is struggling for form and confidence. So what are the options? I don't think there's a viable option in the youth team. Rush Trent back? See how fit Ox is his and move him to RB when he eventually gets fit.

Matip out today is a real worry. It could be a rest. It could be 6 weeks out. Could be either. Playing 2 19 years old in defence, alongside Fabinho who is not a CB. Risky strategy so I think Trent might be asked to come back earlier now.

Milner missing in midfield is forcing Henderson to now have to play every game after coming back from injury and increasing the workload on Gini too, who needs a proper week rest already because of being overworked. He will be the next player to get injured now IMO. As a direct result of being overplayed because of the other injuries in the same position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wonder could Robbo or Tsimikas do a Denis Irwin and be able to play in both fullback positions.

I think they will go for a 4231 against Ajax

Ali

Williams
    Matip
    Fab
    Robbo

Hendo
    Gini

Jota
    Bobby
    Mane

Salah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I wonder could Robbo or Tsimikas do a Denis Irwin and be able to play in both fullback positions.

Ali

Williams
    Matip
    Fab
    Robbo

Hendo
    Gini

Jota
    Bobby
    Mane

Salah

No wondering at all, I reckon they will need to whether they like it or not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Ali

Williams
    Matip
    Fab
    Robbo

Hendo
    Gini

Jota
    Bobby
    Mane

Salah

Once Tsimikas gets a bit of fitness into him, I'd definitely feel more comfortable with him on the right and Robbo covering left, than I do with Neco in there. Hopefully Milner's not out too long either.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Once Tsimikas gets a bit of fitness into him, I'd definitely feel more comfortable with him on the right and Robbo covering left, than I do with Neco in there. Hopefully Milner's not out too long either.

Milner is a machine however time and age seem to be catching up with him now that's his second hamstring of the season 3rd hamstring of 2020.

Looking at his injury record he does seem to come back quickly from hamstrings this is his 5th as a Liverpool player.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/james-milner/verletzungen/spieler/3333

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Just have to go all out attack until get some kind of defence in shape again :pac: back to 5-4 games

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I can't see our injury list improving much, we're going to have at least 4 or 5 players injured for the remainder of the season. The problem with our long injury list is that the players that are fit are not getting a break and are at risk of picking up injuries themselves. Players returning from injury are having to play too much too soon because of all the injuries in the squad and are at risk again of injuries reoccurring.
    We also have 4 or 5 players Ox, Keita, Shaqiri, Matip who are prone to injuries and slow to recover and it looks like Thiago is similarly slow to recover from injury. With all the injuries, players are also having to play out of position, Fabinho at CB, Milner (until injury) wherever needed etc.

The packed schedule this season means players aren't getting the opportunity to either rest properly or to be eased back from injury. It'll be extremely difficult for us to retain the title mainly due to the injury list and VAR also seems to be going against us this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Does anyone think that the management might change their strategy in regarding recruitment of new players and be bold during the transfer window.

There might be a need for a few stop gaps as we cant really afford to wait around for the perfect fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Getting fairly sick of 'fans' who seem to know better than our manager and coaches and medical team,as to just which players are fit and able,least likely to be injured due to fatigue ,I mean ,you would think those guys would have a better idea who to play than the fans right?!

Our elite levels of recent times have only proven that it's in fact the 'fans' who know best,not the elite level management team in place.

Unable to grasp the effects injuries and schedule have had on us so far. .. have a go at the boss for not picking X player..

Spoilt children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,573 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Ideally some clever loan deals, we need 5, signing 5 would be silly. We just need bodies/

A center back is needed though, Moussa Niakhaté would be interesting, must be doing something right to become vice captain at Mainz at 24, he's joined in 2018.
    He's got potential

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

the piece that annoys me is the whole LiVARpool narrative. If you look at the stats last year we came out marginally ahead. It would have been surprising to see Utd where they are but now we know of Cootes it's understandable.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/english-premier-league/story/3929823/how-var-decisions-have-affected-every-premier-league-club

Name me a VAR official other than Cootes that's synomous with a club like he is with us, or an armpit more famous than Firminhos?

I'm a big fan of VAR but these marginal offsides are really poor. It's not VAR that's the problem, it's the offside rule. An attacker getting an unfair advantage is one thing but having your toe a fraction ahead of the defender is another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭Enzokk

gimli2112 wrote: »
    the piece that annoys me is the whole LiVARpool narrative. If you look at the stats last year we came out marginally ahead. It would have been surprising to see Utd where they are but now we know of Cootes it's understandable.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/english-premier-league/story/3929823/how-var-decisions-have-affected-every-premier-league-club

Name me a VAR official other than Cootes that's synomous with a club like he is with us, or an armpit more famous than Firminhos?

I'm a big fan of VAR but these marginal offsides are really poor. It's not VAR that's the problem, it's the offside rule. An attacker getting an unfair advantage is one thing but having your toe a fraction ahead of the defender is another.

I am happy that we have VAR, but their are obvious issues at the moment. On VAR and offside, it doesn't matter where you measure it, you are going to have tight calls. If you give 30cm grace to the attacker you will still have situations where the player is fractionally offside. So unless we scrap offside with VAR you are going to get these calls. You cannot only have it for blatant mistakes because that will change the way assistant referees flag for offside.

Unless you only have it when the player is blatantly offside and he scores a goal. But what about a team that needs to win for the title or to avoid relegation, do you accept that they will lose out because of a mistake when their player is put through but is flagged offside and he is denied the chance to score? You cannot go back and undo the whistle. It is either everything or nothing and I will be happy to go back to allowing referees to make their judgement, as long as those that complained about VAR doesn't complain about the mistakes that could easily be stopped.

As for the other problems, it doesn't matter what you do. This is because the people in charge of VAR and making a mess of it now will be in charge without VAR. Remember Jonathan Moss saying he doesn't know about a penalty for Tottenham and just giving it? If we get rid of it then we can complain about players trying to deceive referees again with no action for those that do it. Or referees making terrible decisions on the field and not having a clue as they have been running for 80 minutes.

The PGMOL is the problem. I think they deliberately made ridiculous calls with handball because they weren't happy that FIFA came in to tell them they were doing VAR wrong last year. So they sent out a internal memo to follow the law to the last sentence to create a stir. But the flaw in their plan is they are incompetent elsewhere so once the handball stuff died down their own inability to adjudicate the basic stuff correctly came to the fore once again.

So basically, we will have crap calls going against us because of crap referees, not because of VAR.

As for the injuries, this is ridiculous now. There was a twitter discussion with a journalist about our injuries and he seemed to think only 2 of our players injuries was due to the fixtures (TAA and Henderson I think) but all of the others were not related. He tried to defend this view by saying Keita, having started 3 matches in 11 days, was not due to the schedule because he was off for 5 weeks before that so wasn't overplayed.

So I wonder what the excuse would be for Brighton losing 2 players yesterday. They have not played as much as us and still lost players to muscle injuries. And the kicker, it is only going to get worse from here on for those teams once they start playing twice a week for 4 weeks from December 12. We will then see a bloodbath on the field and I expect the 5 sub rule to be brought in at that time, although it will be too late for many teams, including us, at that stage. The damage has been done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Still waiting for Welbeck to get a tenth of the hate received by Salah after the West Ham penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

Lost all faith in offside after the bamford goal.against palace when he was pointing to where he wanted it not trying to gain an advantage.
    On the penalty love how match of the day focused on the salah one that was given but not the one against villa where he was cut in half and wasnt given.

They seem to keep making it up as they go along to suit themselves. Look at the sheff utd pen against us they suddenly made up the "just because you get the ball doesnt mean it isnt a foul" thing.

The slo mo on replays doesnt help either needs to be replayed at full speed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Ideally some clever loan deals, we need 5, signing 5 would be silly. We just need bodies/

A center back is needed though, Moussa Niakhaté would be interesting, must be doing something right to become vice captain at Mainz at 24, he's joined in 2018.
    He's got potential

I say we sign five. For if then we'll get injured.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I don't know how any person from any club can have any problem with what Klopp said yesterday.

He's literally fighting for the wellbeing of his
    and everyone else's, players.

Wilder's team plays once a fúcking week. He doesn't give a toss. His players will largely be fine. Yes, we, City, Chelsea, Utd have bigger squads to handle injuries, but that is only part of the argument. The fact is that you can't ask players to play every 3 days (i.e. with little to no recovery time), and expect the product that the likes of BT, Sky, etc are putting out there to be the same. Also, as a fúcking human being who has empathy, Klopp doesn't want to see players injured. Plus, FA Cup games haven't started yet. And Klopp will no doubt get slaughtered for playing weakened teams. Go figure.

Also, these interviewers need to fúcking remember that Klopp has lost two of his best players to knee injuries this season in that farce of a game at Goodison. Is he touchy about injuries? Possibly. But he has every right to be when his players aren't even being fúcking protected by the match officials.

SlickRic wrote: »
    I don't know how any person from any club can have any problem with what Klopp said yesterday.

He's literally fighting for the wellbeing of his
    and everyone else's, players.

Wilder's team plays once a fúcking week. He doesn't give a toss. His players will largely be fine. Yes, we, City, Chelsea, Utd have bigger squads to handle injuries, but that is only part of the argument. The fact is that you can't ask players to play every 3 days (i.e. with little to no recovery time), and expect the product that the likes of BT, Sky, etc are putting out there to be the same. Also, as a fúcking human being who has empathy, Klopp doesn't want to see players injured. Plus, FA Cup games haven't started yet. And Klopp will no doubt get slaughtered for playing weakened teams. Go figure.

Also, these interviewers need to fúcking remember that Klopp has lost two of his best players to knee injuries this season in that farce of a game at Goodison. Is he touchy about injuries? Possibly. But he has every right to be when his players aren't even being fúcking protected by the match officials.

Because football is tribal and people are only seeing us suffer, which makes them happy. They will not care until it reaches their teams. Pep has complained about it and so has Ole, they have had less rest than we have and still somehow have to fit in a match this year when there is no space. Just wait until Chelsea and Tottenham start getting their injuries and their managers will be on the same bandwagon. I suspect you will hear more from others during the course of this month as the injuries pile up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Still waiting for Welbeck to get a tenth of the hate received by Salah after the West Ham penalty.

Horrendous challenge from Robbo based on the whatsapp messages I've been getting so doesn't matter if Welbeck went down a bit late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

"fair play to welbz,if he didnt go down nothing given"

Speaking of the FA and League Cup. If people think Liverpool disrespected them last year with the team selections wait until this year. Expecting 100% youth teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Enzokk wrote: »
    Because football is tribal and people are only seeing us suffer, which makes them happy. They will not care until it reaches their teams. Pep has complained about it and so has Ole, they have had less rest than we have and still somehow have to fit in a match this year when there is no space. Just wait until Chelsea and Tottenham start getting their injuries and their managers will be on the same bandwagon. I suspect you will hear more from others during the course of this month as the injuries pile up.

Yeah, when the teams not in Europe start playing twice a week from December onwards, they'll know all about it. January could be a car-crash and the quality of 'product' on offer by Sky/BT will suffer greatly if every side is missing half their best players. Will they be offering their customers partial refunds, I wonder? Yeah, right. I just hope we're getting our injuries in early!

Klopp should be listened to - he makes it clear each time he's asked about it that his concerns are the players welfare. His point yesterday about subbing on Greek lad for Robbo if he had 5 subs was a very valid one - how would that be a tactical switch or an improvement to the side?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Speaking of the FA and League Cup. If people think Liverpool disrespected them last year with the team selections wait until this year. Expecting 100% youth teams.

Well the league cup is already put to bed :)

So a draw Tuesday and we qualify right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

The VAR penalty decision was probably technically correct, but, had the decision not been given would Brighton have even complained, I didn't notice any of the Brighton players looking for a penalty. It's decisions like this that are ruining the game along with the extremely tight offside decisions which are going down to millimetres. VAR is fine it's just the way it's being implemented that's wrong, we're not the only team getting decisions going against us, but, almost all so far have gone against us and very few for us and the 2 last minute decisions against Everton and Brighton have cost us 4 points which could cost us the league, we haven't had time to recover in both those games, that's the frustrating thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

It was sickening to lose the win in that manner, var and at full time, but in fairness Brighton were good value for a point and if they had taken their early chances, all 3.

• Advertisement

I’d like to see Fab return to midfield get Matip and Phillips in as the CB pairing for the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

I'd have no problem with him putting out the two tea ladies in the cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

x43r0 wrote: »

I'd have no problem with him withdrawing from the cup altogheter in protest.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

I would.

We'll need them for the Champions League Final with the way things are going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Yep, raft of debuts and let the squad watch from the heated pool in Kirkby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

It's not easy playing on the South Coast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

I really hope klopp plays the youth and absolutely not one of the first 11. Get knocked out in the very first match. FA and league cup are so far down the list of priorities that they should really just scrap them. I couldn't care less if Liverpool didn't compete in either.

Blondie919 wrote: »
    I really hope klopp plays the youth and absolutely not one of the first 11. Get knocked out in the very first match. FA and league cup are so far down the list of priorities that they should really just scrap them. I couldn't care less if Liverpool didn't compete in either.

Honestly would not be surprised if we see the U-23's in the FA Cup like against Villa in the LC last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,984 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

And much like last year the media will say he's "disrespecting tradition" by not playing a full strength side in the cup, despite just telling him to rest more players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,573 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

VAR officials too keen to add their two cents to incidents that the Ref on the pitch saw in real time. They had no right, by there OWN rules to review that incident,but they did, and then they insist the ref look at it too.
    They break there own rules and then wonder why people have a problem with it.

And much like last year the media will say he's "disrespecting tradition" by not playing a full strength side in the cup, despite just telling him to rest more players.

The "tradition" has a strange way to evolve, depending on the mood of the said media. At the moment they are still on the 3 subs bandwagon, wait until a match finishes with 9 players for a team due to injuries and you will see that change as well.

Klopp shouldn't indulge the TV companies in the next few interviews just give them nothing one word answers just go out and fulfill contracts of being interviewed.

Then sit back and watch the meltdown that would cause.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,338 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Klopp shouldn't indulge the TV companies in the next few interviews just give them nothing one word answers just go out and fulfill contracts of being interviewed.

I would like to see him doing something similar.

Simple answers, no real emotion shown, tick the boxes and offer nothing extra.
    Might be no harm.

The man is box office. People whinge so much about footballers/managers offering nothing interesting in interviews. As soon as Klopp provides some honesty, everyone's up in arms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Is he under contract to talk to them? Like can he just let one of the players or perhaps even Pep to take the interviews?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Blondie919 wrote: »
    Is he under contract to talk to them? Like can he just let one of the players or perhaps even Pep to take the interviews?

No need for that imo, Klopp has made his point at this stage, no point banging the same drum every week. Just carry on doing interviews as normal.

fyfe79 wrote: »
    The man is box office. People whinge so much about footballers/managers offering nothing interesting in interviews. As soon as Klopp provides some honesty, everyone's up in arms.

Haha, true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

I think he should just revert to his older interviews where he talks at length and answers everything before the interviewer has a chance to ask any more questions.

I don’t think there is anything inherently wrong with what Klopp is saying but that doesn’t matter anymore. People will just twist what he says to suit their agenda.

brevity wrote: »

I don’t think there is anything inherently wrong with what Klopp is saying but that doesn’t matter anymore. People will just twist what he says to suit their agenda.

That's it there is not anything wrong with what he or other managers is saying about to many games etc, The TV companies don't want to admit that he and the other managers speaking up about the issue are right.

They also need Klopp and other managers speaking out and using there interviewers to get a reaction that can be cut down to a 10 second clip for social media to gain traction it's all just advertising for the TV companies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I worry about us this season,
    Our team is injury ravaged and due to thype of injuries it looks more likely toget more before anyones back

Our away form has also been terrible,

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement