Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

He's had some pretty decent right-footed finishes tbf

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

That third finish gets better every time you look at it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

That third finish gets better every time you look at it

That angle was tighter than a camels arse in a sandstorm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

ERG89 wrote: »
    The bigger issue here is that next August can you see Minamino, Keita, Oxlaide-Chamberlain or Curtis Jones being a starter when Wijnaldum has left. At least 1 needs to be, maybe Jones could fit into the role eventually(still has a lot of improving to do) but the other 3? I'm very skeptical of them being starters as Keita/Ox haven't looked like doing that the last few years. Minamimo is still playing like a little boy lost 1 year later.

I think Keita will eventually. He has actually played well as a dedicated CM this season I think, when fit. Keeping him fit is the biggest barrier. A few months without International duty may help keep him fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

DrumSteve wrote: »
    That angle was tighter than a camels arse in a sandstorm.

The fact Salah goes for the inside of his foot and curls away from the front post and in is crazy confidence on your bad foot ,
    I think 90 % of right footed players would have went for an outside of the foot job and aimed far post and brought it in ( if you get me )

Fitz* wrote: »
    I think Keita will eventually. He has actually played well as a dedicated CM this season I think, when fit. Keeping him fit is the biggest barrier. A few months without International duty may help keep him fit.

I thought he was brilliant against Leicester and his pressing & nipping in to win balls has actually been the strongest part of his game with us ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭daheff

The bigger issue here is that next August can you see Minamino, Keita, Oxlaide-Chamberlain or Curtis Jones being a starter when Wijnaldum has left. At least 1 needs to be, maybe Jones could fit into the role eventually(still has a lot of improving to do) but the other 3? I'm very skeptical of them being starters as Keita/Ox haven't looked like doing that the last few years. Minamimo is still playing like a little boy lost 1 year later.

not sure minamino will still be there. he doesnt seem to be getting any kind of look in now. must be something (like Shaq) that isn't working for Klopp. I could see Ox/jones/Keita play before either of them.

also would love to see Wijnaldum play for us like he does for Holland...hes always scoring in internationals....not so much for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Next August nearly all International players will be burnt out from playing this condensed season followed by International tournaments they will have played for pretty much a full year without any breaks, Injuries at the start of next season could be just as bad as they are now.

Keeping a big squad even those who are injury prone is going to be all the more important.

A machine like Gini needs to be kept for at least one more season till football returns to some sort of normality season wise he can always be sold before the 4 years of a deal are up there would be no shortage of clubs willing to buy him even in 3 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭tinpib

Pure speculation on my part from looking at physio room( now called premier injuries) , but maybe Alisson, Keita and Trent might be back for the Fulham game on Sunday week, they look the most likely.

I thought he was brilliant against Leicester and his pressing & nipping in to win balls has actually been the strongest part of his game with us ,

Agreed, I think it's a really strong part to his game is his energy, pressing and winning the ball back. Which coincidentally is also a strong part to Gini's game.

Gini has an incredible arse and is able to shield the ball from multiple players at a time and is very press resistant. He is able to keep the ball well and just wait before releasing the ball to a teammate in better space. While Keita is not at Gini's level here, he does possess some of these skills. He likes to hold onto the ball too and while it appear he is holding onto it too long he just releases it in time, or uses his best skill which is just skipping past an opponent over 2 yards and making that space.

I still see an eventual evolution of Keita growing into the Gini role, albeit a small bit more progressive due to that extra skill Keita has at beating a man. But he has to really hone his defensive side first. And improve his availability levels and fitness. Big time.

tinpib wrote: »
    Pure speculation on my part from looking at physio room( now called premier injuries) , but maybe Alisson, Keita and Trent might be back for the Fulham game on Sunday week, they look the most likely.

I think Trent & Naby have a chance for this weekend to be honest,

but yes I'd say 100% al l3 will be back for Fulham

I wonder how close Shaq & Ox are,
    Ox must be having a mini pre-season as he's been running about 2 weeks now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

I would like to keep Keita. His injuries are very frustrating but he is an excellent player imo.

It's amazing the quality and mentality that is in the squad were we can not rely on a player like Keita and still do well. Years ago he would have been a marquee signing and we'd be ****ed.

Gini has an incredible arse

That's Liverpool's arse.

Agreed, I think it's a really strong part to his game is his energy, pressing and winning the ball back. Which coincidentally is also a strong part to Gini's game.

Gini has an incredible arse and is able to shield the ball from multiple players at a time and is very press resistant. He is able to keep the ball well and just wait before releasing the ball to a teammate in better space. While Keita is not at Gini's level here, he does possess some of these skills. He likes to hold onto the ball too and while it appear he is holding onto it too long he just releases it in time, or uses his best skill which is just skipping past an opponent over 2 yards and making that space.

I still see an eventual evolution of Keita growing into the Gini role, albeit a small bit more progressive due to that extra skill Keita has at beating a man. But he has to really hone his defensive side first. And improve his availability levels and fitness. Big time.

I wonder did Klopp buy Keita with a change of style in mind because as you said he has a very similar skill set to Gini

Klopp spoke about Naby about a month again and said he was to blame for Naby drop off in performances as he wanted Naby to change his natural free roaming game,

Klopp had also said over a year ago he bought Gini because he thought he had all the attributes to play the role he current is,

It's almost bizarre how Gini can play one way for us so brilliant and disciplined and just change back to a number 8/10 attack minded player for Holland, Show huge amount of football intelligence ,

Also that's something you don't see much a manger buying an already quality player with a plan to alter his position and style but by god its worked ,Shows Klopp backs himself as a coach ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Are there many players who had a wide variety of injuries over 3 years but settled down to be long term injury free?

If Naby could be injury free then it's a no brainer to keep him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Akabusi

I would admit that Naby is a little worst than our other players injury wise however it is international duty that does him in alot and also when he does get a run and starts influencing things he is usually targeted take Barcelona last year when he was chopped down and then had to endure another spell on the sidelines.

I wonder did Klopp buy Keita with a change of style in mind because as you said he has a very similar skill set to Gini

In short, I think yes that plan was always there.

Often clubs see a set of attributes in a player and play them in a foreign role to what everyone saw them play at their previous club. Gini is probably the best example of this at Liverpool, or even let's say Pep with KDB & Silva. Even Donny van den Beek will probably move a bit deeper than he normally would have played for Ajax.

Robbo is another. He wasn't exactly a swashbuckling attacking winger at Hull. Shaqiri wasn't a hybrid 10 or central winter at Stoke or Bayern. Firmino moved from an attacking midfielder to a false 9 centre forward role. Henderson even moved deep. Jota - who saw his current role. A big shift from an counter attacking forward winger to a player who is playing CF some games and linking the play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

For our first 11, i'd expect none of those named to be in our best team - would expect the midfield trio without Gini to be Fabinho,Thiago, Henderson. Basically a straight swap of Gini for Thiago, with a year overlap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Robertson, the defender, not knowing how many clean sheets they had last year must be the most Robertson thing ever

• Advertisement

I really love the wingmen episodes. Trent is just Trent and Robo is funny.

Harvey Elliot has scored for Blackburn tonight.

https://twitter.com/zaychology/status/1334229857086148618?s=09

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,931 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I'm reminded of this for no reason in particular

GQxGZkG.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Harvey Elliot has scored for Blackburn tonight.

https://twitter.com/zaychology/status/1334229857086148618?s=09

Its a great quality potato to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Wasn't Marko sent off for that?

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    Wasn't Marko sent off for that?

Yeah that's the point, straight red for a finger to the nose

25BDA2BB00000578-0-image-a-21_1424109350405.jpg

• Advertisement

Yeah that's the point, straight red for a finger to the nose

Did he even make contact?

I don't know what was worse, that the player was nowhere near him for a challenge, or that he had just been subbed on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

at least we have something to remember him by

gimli2112 wrote: »
    at least we have something to remember him by

It's the what if's that haunt you.

Almost forgot to actually post these

Not as easy a finish as it looks from Jones:

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

He was the only player who looked like scoring for most of the night too:

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

The only way Kelleher's debut could've gone any better is if the Kop was full behind him, if we were to win the Champions League again this year we'll be looking at these saves the same way we do Alisson's against Napoli:

giphy.gifgiphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    giphy.gif

Firmino was good when he came on and should've had an assist and a goal if not for a poor Mane touch and a really good Onana save:

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

I also love that Firmino chance because it shows off so much of our style in one clip, we transition from rabidly pressing to win the ball back to the smoothest one-touch chance creation in a flash.

Couple nice pieces of control from Neco and Jota:

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

I still can't understand why this was given as an Ajax free kick:

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Nice to see Gerrard got on the UEFA Ultimate Team of the Year 2000 - 2020. It's a team made of the players who got on the most TOTY's over the past 20 years. More fuel for the Gerrard/Scholes/Lampard debate.

EoQDhP4XUAYkBTQ?format=jpg&name=large

I really love the wingmen episodes. Trent is just Trent and Robo is funny.

Robbo is just a ball of energy and enthusiasm like he is on the pitch ,
    I have to say Trent surprised me he comes across very mature

Look not all our young lads make it and i'm not saying that but isn't it a bit mad that all our young lads seem to be extremely focused and mature , Don't ever hear of any of the bad news like with Greenwood, Grealish, Foden and other's this is going back a few year to ,

KevRossi wrote: »
    Nice to see Gerrard got on the UEFA Ultimate Team of the Year 2000 - 2020. It's a team made of the players who got on the most TOTY's over the past 20 years. More fuel for the Gerrard/Scholes/Lampard debate.

oh look no Paul Scholes the only player who got better after he retired :pac::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Gerrard was far superior to Scholes.
    Some of Scholes passing was brillant & he scored some great goals.

Gerrard really had similar technically ability but far greater pace & power to his game. He could dominate opponents physically as well as his passing & shooting ability's.

Scholes just fouled opponents. Xavi I think said Scholes was the best because he was more similar to a Barcelona midfielder & it snowballed from there where he became very overrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Gerrard was a monster of a player, I appreciate what Scholes brought but he couldn't carry a club like Gerrard. The best player by far not to win a league medal

MD1990 wrote: »
    Gerrard was far superior to Scholes.
    Some of Scholes passing was brillant & he scored some great goals.

Gerrard really had similar technically ability but far greater pace & power to his game. He could dominate opponents physically as well as his passing & shooting ability's.

Scholes just fouled opponents. Xavi I think said Scholes was the best because he was more similar to a Barcelona midfielder & it snowballed from there where he became very overrated.

All you have to do is look atthere individual awards amd. Who was force to retire from international football because of the other
    Scholes was a very good player dont get me wrong but Gerrard is his pomp was other worldly he was an absolute force of nature,

I think even with all the praise he gets world wide that he is still underrated that how dame good the fella was

oh look no Paul Scholes the only player who got better after he retired :pac::D

Individually. Gerrard was much better imo. Scholes was in vastly superior teams.

Tbf, they were different type of players. Gerrard could win a game on his own and did multiple times. Big game player too. Scholes dictated games (in the 2nd part of his career), and tbf to him, it's a role that goes under the radar a bit more.

Two superb players. Lampard too.

KevRossi wrote: »

Not sure why Gerrard is in that position though. Would swap him with Xavi.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

brevity wrote: »
    Not sure why Gerrard is in that position though. Would swap him with Xavi.

they're not categorized by separate roles, for example, the back four all fall under the "defenders" category.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

All you have to do is look atthere individual awards amd. Who was force to retire from international football because of the other
    Scholes was a very good player dont get me wrong but Gerrard is his pomp was other worldly he was an absolute force of nature,

I think even with all the praise he gets world wide that he is still underrated that how dame good the fella was

Why was Scholes asked to return to the England fold in his 30s when there was an otherworldly player in his position?

Calling Gerrard underrated is one of the better ones though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Liam O wrote: »
    Why was Scholes asked to return to the England fold in his 30s when there was an otherworldly player in his position?

It would be silly to think Gerrard or Lampard wouldn't have started if he'd have come back. More likely at the expense of Barry/Milner/Cole

It's like saying why was Carragher asked to return at the same time when John Terry was one of the best defenders around?

Liam O wrote: »

Calling Gerrard underrated is one of the better ones though.

Why was Veron brought into United when Scholes was already in that postion, think carefully before you answer now

If Scholes was taken out of the United team between 1997 & 2009, would they still have won the same amount of trophies? Probably. He was never the best best player in the United side at the time. Gabriel Heinze was one season though.

If Gerard was taken out of the Liverpool team from 2001 to 2014, would they have still won the same number of trophies they did? Absolutely not. He was regularly the best player at the club, and sometimes even the league.

Trent & Naby back training today with the squad is great news ,so in contention

I heard he mentioned OX but I missed what he said ? anyone hear it ,

He said we have some niggles in the squad so have to see how some players are ,( Robbo id say)

Also Kelleher starts the weekend ,

Trent & Naby back training today with the squad is great news ,so in contention

I heard he mentioned OX but I missed what he said ? anyone hear it ,

He said we have some niggles in the squad so have to see how some players are ,( Robbo id say)

Also Kelleher starts the weekend ,

https://twitter.com/ptgorst/status/1334837661610151936?s=20

Personally, I would expect Trent to see some game time on Sunday if that is the case. Maybe even from the bench. He had only had a couple of niggling minor injuries before and generally returning straight to the starting line up. Also if Trent starts, it allows Tsimikas to start instead of Robbo too. Give Robbo 2 games off. Klopp did speak of a couple players picking up knocks in the Ajax game.

Given his history, I would think Keita would be on the bench. Although saying that, he did start against Leicester last time around just off the back of an injury but generally he does come back gradually with some substitute appearances first.

Given the importance of the next two fixtures, I'd take a guess that Trent will play 60 mins and then Neco can play midweek again and Keita will get 10-15 mins but will start midweek to build him up again.

Good to see the big man VVD doing some light training ,
    Actually very surprised to see him already In the training centre,
    No strapping on the knee, doing some balancing work and some work on it in the pool ,

He'll back before Thiago ( im joking kind of :D )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Imagine the blue moon theories if Virgil comes back ahead of schedule.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement