Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I think VVD will be better than ever when he is back.

He has such a great mentality as shown numerous times in interviews over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

rob316 wrote: »
    Imagine the blue moon theories if Virgil comes back ahead of schedule.

I hope whatever rehabilitation he's doing he's sticking strictly to advice. There's no beating that injury unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

eigrod wrote: »

I, for one, am glad that it's now illegal to support Everton. Hope they throw away the key.

Is that the fella that was pushing for null and void?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

6 wrote: »

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Karma is a bitch.

Seven years ago today Suarez scored the best hat trick (4 really) in PL history. So much has changed since then.

Team was: Mignolet, Johnson, Flanagan, Agger, Skrtel, Allen, Gerrard, Henderson, Sterling, Coutinho, Suarez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,931 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I gotta say, the kid's doing all he can to break into our front 3

https://twitter.com/tezilyas/status/1334858437969195009?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Awoniyi scored again for Union Berlin as the lost 3-1, Karius was on the bench and is still to get a game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,478 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

KevRossi wrote: »
    Seven years ago today Suarez scored the best hat trick (4 really) in PL history. So much has changed since then.

Team was: Mignolet, Johnson, Flanagan, Agger, Skrtel, Allen, Gerrard, Henderson, Sterling, Coutinho, Suarez

How is that seven years?!
    And fifteen years since Olympiacos :eek:

Suarez in his pomp was some sight, wasn't he?
    I know I'm stating the obvious, but he was unreal at times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

How is that seven years?!
    And fifteen years since Olympiacos :eek:

Suarez in his pomp was some sight, wasn't he?
    I know I'm stating the obvious, but he was unreal at times

Ya'know, in a lot of ways he's the emotional successor to Maradona, where Messi is the technical successor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Suarez was the best player I’ve ever seen in a Liverpool shirt. He was incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

6 wrote: »

Fun times lads talking absolute nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

they were such good times, when it became apparent early on (earlier for some than others) people started wishing Trump would instigate a nuclear armegeddon or Covid would wipe out humanity. Unfortunately it wouldn't happen and Liverpool would go on to win the league

Covid may still kill us all but for some it will be too late

gimli2112 wrote: »

Covid may still kill us all but for some it will be too late

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Tusky wrote: »
    Suarez was the best player I’ve ever seen in a Liverpool shirt. He was incredible.

Same here. He was outrageous when he played for us. That third goal was class. It’s nearly 10 years since we signed him. Time flying

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Tusky wrote: »

Best player im not so sure.
    Best striker probably but still Gerrard for me, year after year he carried the team and for a lot longer than suarez.

TV doesnt do justice to him, watching him live at a game super human doesnt even begin to describe the lad at his best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I'd say Gerrard too. Someone called him underrated recently and a Utd fan lol'd at the comment. To be fair I can see both sides he was widely lauded in his time but seriously under appreciated in some sectors.

There was a 3-4 year period where Barnes was truly unbelieveable.

I also remember certain players at certain times who were absolutely massive and probably don't get the credit they deserve, Steve Nichol was a monster, our own Ronnie Whelan and Hansen spring to mind.

and of course the King

and of course God!!!

depends what age you are, this is turning into a list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭conor_mc

Dcully wrote: »
    Best player im not so sure.
    Best striker probably but still Gerrard for me, year after year he carried the team and for a lot longer than suarez.

TV doesnt do justice to him, watching him live at a game OMG super human doesnt even begin to describe the lad at his best.

He did carry the team, but I think Gerrard was about doing all the things a footballer does, consistently and to an amazingly high standard. He was the whole package, he excelled in almost every facet of footballing technique.

Suarez was more “how the f*ck did he even do that??!!”, he just left you shaking your head in disbelief. And you could argue he drove the whole team to outperform themselves in 12/13.

Two amazing players in their own rights, I don’t even think it’s fair to compare and pick a favourite!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

love the red nets!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Gerrard was an amazing player for us, but, Suarez was on another level for the few years he was with us. We have some amazing players now too like Mo, Mane, VVD, for some reason Mo seems to be vastly underrated by most supporters considering what he's done for us. Suarez was probably the best player to ever play for Liverpool, but, not the best Liverpool player ever, there is a difference. The best liverpool player ever would be between King Kenny and Gerrard, but, if Mo continues at this level for the next few years he might surpass them both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

conor_mc wrote: »
    He did carry the team, but I think Gerrard was about doing all the things a footballer does, consistently and to an amazingly high standard. He was the whole package, he excelled in almost every facet of footballing technique.

Suarez was more “how the f*ck did he even do that??!!”, he just left you shaking your head in disbelief. And you could argue he drove the whole team to outperform themselves in 12/13.

Two amazing players in their own rights, I don’t even think it’s fair to compare and pick a favourite!

I think you're spot on here. Gerrard was pretty much better than most players on the pitch in their position.

Suarez did things I never imagined. If he'd done 8-10 years in the PL he'd be pushing Henry for best ever PL player.

Both played with an enormous passion to win. Suarez did it in a unique way that astounded me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I'd say Gerrard too. Someone called him underrated recently and a Utd fan lol'd at the comment. To be fair I can see both sides he was widely lauded in his time but seriously under appreciated in some sectors.

There was a 3-4 year period where Barnes was truly unbelieveable.

I also remember certain players at certain times who were absolutely massive and probably don't get the credit they deserve, Steve Nichol was a monster, our own Ronnie Whelan and Hansen spring to mind.

and of course the King

and of course God!!!

depends what age you are, this is turning into a list

I was the I on who said he was underrated and I truly believe that,
    The fact people will argue who's better between himself, Scholes and Lamaprd backs that up , the two later where fabulous players but not In the same world as Gerrard ,

He was a force of nature and carried a club the size of Liverpool on his own for years,

If you take the greatest midfielder in the prem at the time Lampard ,Keane & Scholes , Gerrard was like a hybrid of al l3 he could literally do it all ,

If he was a South American who played in Spain all the fan of every club in England would be shouting from the rooftops about how good he was, he fact he was Liverpool ( a rival club) means fans and some ex players will never give him the full credit he is owned as they see it as down playing there own centre midfielder of the same era,

Don't forget Chelsea openly and publicly tried to sign him when Lampard was there and going by his book Fergie tried to sign him in 2002/03 United had Scholes, Keane & Veron then o what does that tell you ,

For individual brilliance Suarez was head and shoulders above Gerrard. Definitely the best attacker I've watched live at Liverpool.

Inside Anfield Ajax

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Both stunning players in their own right.

Numbers don't go high enough to count the number of times Suarez nutmegged opposition players!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

SM01 wrote: »
    Numbers don't go high enough to count the number of times Suarez nutmegged opposition players!

Suarez could nutmeg a mermaid! David Luiz still has nightmares!

Elliott with another assist for Blackburn.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Elliott with another assist for Blackburn.

6 goal contributions in 11 games.

Not bad for a 17 year old.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

I always think of poor John Ruddy when Suarez is being discussed.

His tweet about wanting a cut of the money at the time it was looking like Suarez was going to leave was brilliant :D

This also;

[url]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Excuse my ignorance but I really didn't see a world where Tony Mowbary was the coach to help develop Harvey Elliot.

I'm assuming that there were multiple clubs who had interest in taking Elliot on loan this season but the club chose Blackburn. But Liverpool chose Blackburn, maybe because of guarantees of playing time or football style or positions he would play in etc.

Has there been other kids who have grown under Mowbary? I went for a brief look and James Madison played under Mowbary at Coventry. Ryan Kent was also there at the time so maybe a rapport was build up between club & manager then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭NewRed2

Fitz* wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance but I really didn't see a world where Tony Mowbary was the coach to help develop Harvey Elliot.

I'm assuming that there were multiple clubs who had interest in taking Elliot on loan this season but the club chose Blackburn. But Liverpool chose Blackburn, maybe because of guarantees of playing time or football style or positions he would play in etc.

Has there been other kids who have grown under Mowbary? I went for a brief look and James Madison played under Mowbary at Coventry. Ryan Kent was also there at the time so maybe a rapport was build up between club & manager then.

I don't know the answer to your question but usually the club go for deals where the player is given guaranteed minutes and if Blackburn topped that list then it makes sense he goes there.
    I understand your insinuation that he's not the ideal manager to play under but main thing is a kid gets to play football and he's getting that.
    Even the likes of Mourinho or Allardyce need the one flair player so if hes playing regular then he's learning and improving regardless of who the manager is.
    I suppose bottom line you'd develop faster playing regular football under Steve Bruce than you would sitting on Guardiola's bench, if that makes sense.
    Managers chosen at random there...

Lots of teams positioning themselves near the top of the table now
    Our next 2 league games are absolutely must wins we need to go on a run of wins now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I blinked and suddenly United are two pts behind us .

• Advertisement

They say 10 games gives a true reflection of table

Spurs
    Liverpool
    Chelsea
    United
    City

All the big clubs are there now in top 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

They say 10 games gives a true reflection of table

Spurs
    Liverpool
    Chelsea
    United
    City

All the big clubs are there now in top 5.

And spurs with them

I blinked and suddenly United are two pts behind us .

Its time we get the finger out and start winning away games to go with our home form

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Lots of teams positioning themselves near the top of the table now
    Our next 2 league games are absolutely must wins we need to go on a run of wins now

Said infinitum...this league will be a war of attrition. Gonna be various clubs in the mix in the business end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

DVDM93 wrote: »

I only realised yesterday that Luis is at AM now.!

• Advertisement

Fitz* wrote: »

Blackburn is less than an hour from Liverpool, so Elliott can live at home. He's 17, maybe he preferred to be near Liverpool. There's loads of examples of players who suffered from severe homesickness when they moved away. Keeps him grounded too if he's still living with his parents.

From a Liverpool point of view, he gets minutes on the pitch which is more important than minutes warming a bench at a better club, and his progress can be observed a lot better by the club, as staff can easily get to a match in Blackburn rather than if he was in London.

Any injuries or niggles, he goes to Kirkby and they can assess him if needed. It's the same reasons why we have used Crewe as a development club in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

cj maxx wrote: »

I only realised yesterday that Luis is at AM now.!

Yup, sitting top of the league, 12 points ahead of Barca. He's scored more than anyone at Barca too. So perhaps drumming him out when he really wanted to stay wasn't the best move after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Yup, sitting top of the league, 12 points ahead of Barca. He's scored more than anyone at Barca too. So perhaps drumming him out when he really wanted to stay wasn't the best move after all.

Delighted for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I was looking at Klopps latest zoom interviews with the press and his body language reactions looks totally off, he really looks annoyed and puzzled by some of the questions. I've not noticed these types of reactions by him to questions by what looks to be the local press.

I get why he would be annoyed but I just fear that it might filter down through the squad. I do hope its nothing but we have seen similar reactions happen to teams during previous managers.

Looking like a tight race, all our injuries have made it a more competitive league.
    United played 5 away, won 5, scored 16, at home played 5, won 1 scored 3 . If they sort that out they'd compete.
    Spurs under Jose could win it, he's dangerous with players behind him, which the spurs squad is ,

Next 7 over this Christmas period it huge step towards winning league. Need to win tomorrow.
    we have 8 games to play in next 26 days, 7 of them in the league. It's nuts, but come through it without a loss and it's game on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Twitter guessers XI:

Kelleher
    Neco Fabinho Matip Robbo
    Henderson Gini Jones
    Salah Bobby Mane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Its time we get the finger out and start winning away games to go with our home form

We need some luck at some stage too.

Looking like a tight race, all our injuries have made it a more competitive league.
    United played 5 away, won 5, scored 16, at home played 5, won 1 scored 3 . If they sort that out they'd compete.
    Spurs under Jose could win it, he's dangerous with players behind him, which the spurs squad is ,

Next 7 over this Christmas period it huge step towards winning league. Need to win tomorrow.
    we have 8 games to play in next 26 days, 7 of them in the league. It's nuts, but come through it without a loss and it's game on!

Its not losses that are hurting us currently its draws
    In two away games your better off losing one and winning ome than drawing both,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

Umaro wrote: »
    Twitter guessers XI:

Kelleher
    Neco Fabinho Matip Robbo
    Henderson Gini Jones
    Salah Bobby Mane

Paul Joyce thinks Salah will be rested which would be strange with the dead rubber against the Danes coming up

https://twitter.com/AnfieldWatch/status/1335133792177156098?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I see another 3 players had to be substituted before half time yesterday. Interesting that 2 of those players are playing for teams not playing in Europe. The players are Delph for Everton, Koch for Leeds and Ziyech for Chelsea. Wonder what those mocking Klopp has to say about his player welfare stance now, when Keita got injured Barry Glendening refuses to believe it is the schedule as he was out injured for 5 weeks before he played 3 matches in 11 days (with travel). He maintains that Keita was well rested so his injury is not related to fatigue.

So what is the Koch and Delph excuse for getting injured? Don't they know they are making a mockery of the arguments of those laughing at Klopp? They should know better and not get injured.

Also, not VAR but referee related, did anyone see the United first goal? How they determined that ball didn't go out is beyond me. Not surprised though, the assistant referee turned his back on the ball trying to catch up to the play instead of checking if it went out. Surely VAR could check anything he missed if he is checking the flight of the ball, but seeing as there are no cameras on the line his job is to check that. And people want to hand over all control to the referees when they cannot get simple things right?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement