Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rachel Allen's son arrested again...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

begbysback wrote: »
    FYI people, skooter has no vested interest here, he gets this way on all the threads he engages with.

How do you know I have no vested interests? You have never met me. Why do you think I have this famed "chip on the shoulder"?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

That isnt always accessible such as in this incidence is it?

Which incidence ? If you have the date it was published and the name of the publication it will be available.

Something as serious as you are alluding to would have appeared in more than one publication.

IF a story was pulled have you considered the possibility that the reason it was pulled was because it wasn't true and therefore left those publishing it open to litigation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Nexytus

What sentence was changed by 80% ?
    It was posted earlier in the thread that he served three months of a fifteen month sentence. That would be 80% off. Checking the newspaper article in the op I see he served four months. So that would be 75%. Same ball park.

A teacher doesn't have the 'authority' to change any sentence but a number of them play an integral part in sentence management alongside the others that I mentioned.
    The Judge that passes sentence should be the only arbiter. That’s the point. By saying we have lots of people who override the Judge as opposed to one person who overrides the Judge isn’t a good argument.
    'Streams' of prisoners are not being released every week and they are certainly not released on an industrial scale as you have stated. I'd be surprised if it was anywhere around 20 to 30 per week nationwide.
    Do you have a link to those figures?
    Rooms full of people don't sit around and co-incidentally decide that all prisoners have their sentence halved either. In fact the only ones that might get their sentences halved are likely to be doing 5 days for fines or a 1 or 2 month sentence. It simply doesn't happen with Prisoners doing 1, 2, 5 or 10 years despite all the urban myths.
    I don’t know who you think you’re codding. People with fines getting sentences halved? They’re turned around at the door. And as for people doing 1 – 10 years sentences serving them fully this is contradicted by news stories every week going back years, decades where we hear somebody got such a sentence and they end up getting out way ahead of time. Josh Allen here being just another example.
    "Sure everyone knows about it...." doesn't make it true.
    I was paraphrasing you. You said that the government and judges all knew there was pressure on prison places. A sure everyone knows about it so it’s ok. Although I don’t know how that tallies with your assertion that everyone serves there full sentence.
    Years ago, TR was 'a thing' (albeit not on the scale that you seem to imagine)
    Nowadays every prisoner doing any sort of sentence is tied into 'Integrated Sentence Management' where they are assessed on numerous occasions. The Multi Disciplinary Teams have regular meetings
    You’ve just added some corporate speak and bs jargon. It still amounts to the same thing. I see 599 prisoners availed of structured release in 2019. You can put a fancy name on it but that is the temporary release that was always there.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 john_fe12020

Have been following the young lads case(s) for the last while, but forgive my ignorance but where can I find info about the shady past of the Allen dynasty? I know nobody here can explicitly inform me on the forum publicly, but im open to private messages or pointers in the right direction thanks

The Muppet wrote: »
    Which incidence ? If you have the date it was published and the name of the publication it will be available.

Something as serious as you are alluding to would have appeared in more than one publication.

IF a story was pulled have you considered the possibility that the reason it was pulled was because it wasn't true and therefore left those publishing it open to litigation.

It was an exclusive at the time. It follows the Modus Operandi of the Allen family. Their solicitor must have fantastic billing hours. It was the Sunday Independent about 20-25 years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Josh Allen wouldn't be the sharpest cutting knife in the kitchen press.

Not always the case, sometimes people are misfits due to high intelligence and being square pegs in round holes. This in itself creates symptoms cause by dissonance and dysfunction, drinking too much, wrong sort of company, drugs.

dd973 wrote: »
    Not always the case, sometimes people are misfits due to high intelligence and being square pegs in round holes. This in itself creates symptoms cause by dissonance and dysfunction, drinking too much, wrong sort of company, drugs.

He is right Junkies are some of the hardest working people I know. They gotta have their two fixes a day. Doing the junkie shuffle in the morning, short step long step. Robbin stealin beggin anything to get a fix. Then get up and do it all again the next day and find new people to rob from.

Dont be fooled by the spaced out stare..... there is a brain sharper than mathematician grinding in the much knocked about skull.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Such extraordinarily privileged children with so many advantages... and still complete wasters.
    Their grandad was a pedo .....it doesnt take a genius to take out they were probably in very dangerous and uncomfortable positions as kids.

Its obv a very dysfunctional family.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Someone posted here he had a kid with the nanny? Is this true or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Nexytus wrote: »
    It was posted earlier in the thread that he served three months of a fifteen month sentence. That would be 80% off. Checking the newspaper article in the op I see he served four months. So that would be 75%. Same ball park.

The Judge that passes sentence should be the only arbiter. That’s the point. By saying we have lots of people who override the Judge as opposed to one person who overrides the Judge isn’t a good argument.

Do you have a link to those figures?
    I don’t know who you think you’re codding. People with fines getting sentences halved? They’re turned around at the door. And as for people doing 1 – 10 years sentences serving them fully this is contradicted by news stories every week going back years, decades where we hear somebody got such a sentence and they end up getting out way ahead of time. Josh Allen here being just another example.

I was paraphrasing you. You said that the government and judges all knew there was pressure on prison places. A sure everyone knows about it so it’s ok. Although I don’t know how that tallies with your assertion that everyone serves there full sentence.

You’ve just added some corporate speak and bs jargon. It still amounts to the same thing. I see 599 prisoners availed of structured release in 2019. You can put a fancy name on it but that is the temporary release that was always there.

November to June is 8 months... you might want to check that again...

The Judge should be the only arbiter but that's not how the legal system or the prisons work unfortunately. It should - but it doesn't. 20 years ago Judges gave out sentences of say 5 years but with a review after two. 99% then got out after the two years. That was, for the most part, stopped and the revolving door started spinning instead. That had to be reeled in as well as the re-offending rate was huge. That's where this new Integrated Sentence Management spawned from - it's now a collective decision based on collective information and with stricter conditions attached rather than (seemingly) random decisions to throw fellas out on TR with no direction and no supports.

I don't have a link to those figures (20 to 30) as it's just based on my own daily experience serving in the prisons but I'd be willing to bet that I'm not too far out.

Regarding fines, historically 99.99% got turned around at the gate. The fines system in court changed and now prison is the final option. For a good while this worked and prisoners on fines did their time.The numbers arriving in on fines has dropped off massively though thanks to the new system. Covid put a stop to keeping those that do turn up though due to pressure of space so at the moment they're pretty much all (but not ALL) being turned around now again. Apart from them, very few do their sentence fully but the vast majority are doing 80% if not 90% of their sentences (after remission..) The numbers getting say 6 months or more off their sentences are probably at an all time low.

You'll just have to trust me when I say that TR and Community Release Schemes are not the same thing. The person on this structured release has a lot more obligations than the old TR and can end up back in prison in the blink of an eye if they don't abide - and that does happen. You've pretty much found the answer there with 599 on structured release last year. Considering that 8 to 10 thousand people a year pass through Irish prisons that's 4 to 5% of the total. That's a long way off the 'streams' or 'industrial scales' that you mentioned in your original post. It would also tally with my comment that I'd be surprised if it was 20 to 30 people a week nationwide - in fact it would make my guess a pretty big overestimation.

• Advertisement

I doubt they'll relish the attention.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

• Registered Users Posts: 42 conndeal

With all the fuss about Data Protection and GDPR how are the details of his arrest and drink driving etc being made public before he is even charged.

I know nobody here can explicitly inform me on the forum publicly, but im open to private messages or pointers in the right direction thanks
    Sure they can can't they?

conndeal wrote: »
    With all the fuss about Data Protection and GDPR how are the details of his arrest and drink driving etc being made public before he is even charged.
    I would say his pr firm or lawyer wanted to control the way it was released....

• Registered Users Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

This guy clearly has serious psychological issues, and its all playing out in public, ffs!

This thread thrives on schadenfreude. The son is clearly a huge worry to his parents and family. I hope he gets (and accepts) help, and that he overcomes whatever problems afflict him. There are far, far worse than him, so why do his troubles create such outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Cant talk about it here. Go consult back issues of the Sunday independent from 25 years back. I suspect that it has been removed from the internet. It was something very very serious that was paid away.

Mods would shut down the thread if it was discussed and anyone discussing it would get banned

I call nonsense to this.

If something was in the public record, then the mods have no problem it being referenced or talked about.

What they do have a problem with though are people making **** up about others, as a way to defame them.

If there were other legal problems with the Allen family apart from the two mentioned, then there would be public court records available and it would have been reported on.
    So, if you are not willing to tell us exactly what these were, then I am afraid you are just make $hit up for the giggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

This is what happens when you have a judiciary handing out such lenient sentences for possession of 22 k worth of drugs, he should have been sentenced to 10 years in jail not the pathetic year and a bit he served. The judiciary and legislature are absolutely part of the problem here. If he was in America they would lock him up and throw away the key for the drug possession alone.

reg114 wrote: »
    This is what happens when you have a judiciary handing out such lenient sentences for possession of 22 k worth of drugs, he should have been sentenced to 10 years in jail not the pathetic year and a bit he served. The judiciary and legislature are absolutely part of the problem here. If he was in America they would lock him up and throw away the key for the drug possession alone.

thank god we re not like this

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    thank god we re not like this

From a penal system standpoint we need to be more like America when it comes to serious offences especially. Currently we have a woefully inadequate system that fulfils zero purpose. It does not constitute an appropriate punishment or meaningful opportunity to rehabilitate the offender, just look at the recidivism rate for proof. In this case the offender has bounced from one serious crime to another. The 15 months in jail on the taxpayers dime have been totally wasted. Serious time is needed for serious sentences not the clown show we currently have.

From a penal system standpoint we need to be more like America when it comes to serious offences especially. Currently we have a woefully inadequate system that fulfils zero purpose. It does not constitute an appropriate punishment or meaningful opportunity to rehabilitate the offender, just look at the recidivism rate for proof. In this case the offender has bounced from one serious crime to another. The 15 months in jail on the taxpayers dime have been totally wasted. Serious time is needed for serious sentences not the clown show we currently have.

...but theres no definitive proof, increasing incarceration time actually reduces criminal activities or prevents repeat offending

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

...but theres no definitive proof, increasing incarceration time actually reduces criminal activities or prevents repeat offending

It does if you never let them out.

By virtue of them being out of circulation itself means they cant offend as often. If the son had done a proper sentence for possession of drugs worth 22k he would still be locked up now, so wouldnt have been free to drink drive and potentially kill someone.

Ireland also needs consecutive sentencing and not the existing concurrent sentencing nonsense. This would also facilitate longer sentences and remove offenders from society.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

I know some people who have made mistakes at that age, but sorted themselves out and now give back yo society, more than they took.
    I feel really sorry for this kid (yes. kid) based on many of the attacks on him and his family in this thread.
    He did not choose his parents, grandparents or associated fame and wealth.
    He is obviously troubled and needs support and not be the channel for peoples hatred (jealousy, whatever) of his family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

I think peoples issues aren't with the young fella but the family in general. The "nothing to see here" attempt at covering up the peado thing was disgusting. The fact that they have been let remain in public eyes by the media is even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

The judiciary and legislature are absolutely part of the problem here. If he was in America they would lock him up and throw away the key for the drug possession alone.

In half of America, it wouldn't even have been a crime!

There is very little to be gained by copying America, except perhaps in the legalising of relatively harmless recreational drugs. There's certainly nothing to be gained by locking people up for 30 years for stealing a can of coke or something just because they've done it 3 times.

Take a look at American society, it has precisely nothing to teach any European country. You need better role models. The "land of the free" is a dystopian shít hole!

Gervais08 wrote: »
    It does if you never let them out.

..and you re okay in funding this, as we all know, incarceration is cheap?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

shafty100 wrote: »
    he needs help but obviously has not hit his rock bottom yet . the reality of josh is that he has an escalating coke habit that seems to be escaliting out of control and time will will tell if he wants help and hopefully he will come out the otherside

It is apparent he has a serious problem. This thread makes me uncomfortable. I would hate if it were my son or relative being torn apart here. Whatever his family or personality flaws he is a human being with serious addiction issues.

• Advertisement

In half of America, it wouldn't even have been a crime!

There is very little to be gained by copying America, except perhaps in the legalising of relatively harmless recreational drugs. There's certainly nothing to be gained by locking people up for 30 years for stealing a can of coke or something just because they've done it 3 times.

Take a look at American society, it has precisely nothing to teach any European country. You need better role models. The "land of the free" is a dystopian shít hole!

perfectly summed up!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement