Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great British Bake Off 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I wasn't happy when I heard Matt was the replacement but I actually think he works really well with Noel, who I think is great in the role!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,091 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I wasn't happy when I heard Matt was the replacement but I actually think he works really well with Noel, who I think is great in the role!

I thought Noel had a much better rapport with Sandi, great contrast between them. I don't think it is working with Matt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

Hubby predicts Matt won't be there next season. Any suggestions here of who might work? I'm not sure myself.

Very hard to get in to it this season and bizarrely, it's flown in. Feel like I don't know the contestants that well compared to previous years. I predicted Peter from the first episode so I'm hoping he wins. Here's hoping next year's contestants will be better. It has been a really flat season.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,164 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I think Matt is past his prime but i do still like him.
    When he isnt trying to be over the top he is better.

Purely because of the great big quiz of the year... Russel Brand :D the two of them work so well together

Someone like jessica knappett might be good, shes a bit wild and out there

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    I think Matt is past his prime but i do still like him.
    When he isnt trying to be over the top he is better.

Purely because of the great big quiz of the year... Russel Brand :D the two of them work so well together

Someone like jessica knappett might be good, shes a bit wild and out there

Ah jessica knappett is a great call. I'll second that!

Edit: although I do like Matt!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

I'd love to see Jon Richardson actually. I love his sense of humour and he's a guilty crush of mine :D
    Richard Ayoade would also be good, I think :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

jellybear wrote: »
    I'd love to see Jon Richardson actually. I love his sense of humour and he's a guilty crush of mine :D
    Richard Ayoade would also be good, I think :)

I like Richard but I think he might be the same as Sandi was on the show, a bit “I don’t quite know why I’m here!”.

I actually like Noel and Matt together. I liked Mel and Sue because their real life friendship came through and similarly I would be amazed if Noel and Matt aren’t real life friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,164 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Love Jon Richardson.
    Any comedian known to channel 4 except jimmy carr I think to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I think Noel and Matt work well together and are funny.

But I don't think either of them work well with the contestants. It's very hard for the average person to play a good straight man to their absurd antics whereas Mel and Sue were a lot more down to earth.

But there's an element here too where I feel the show has run its course a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I think Noel and Matt should be given a break because I don't think humour is the strongest suit of any of the this year's contestants except Lottie. I don't mind their banter but the "staged bits" at the start and when they're announcing the time left are pretty awful but I thought they were awful with Sandi too. I don't know if they come up with them themselves or if they're written for them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

I thought Noel had a much better rapport with Sandi, great contrast between them. I don't think it is working with Matt.

I groaned when I first heard Noel would be presenting but I have eaten my words - would not be the same without him.

Agree he and Sandy were such a good double act.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Gervais08 wrote: »
    I groaned when I first heard Noel would be presenting but I have eaten my words - would not be the same without him.

Absolutely - of all of the combinations, my favourite by far was Noel and Sandi - I thought they had a lovely way of going on, and Sandi was so empathetic. Well, they both were (Noel not so much now with Matt on the team, I find, he seems to spend more time trying to annoy/distract the contestants).

Although kudos to Matt for being lovely to Laura (as much as she annoys me, and I'd give her a clip around the ear and tell her to cop herself on!) - I don't get his sense of humour at all, but he was lovely to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,091 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Gervais08 wrote: »

We miss the 'where are they going today' routine in our house.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,972 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Only watching the semi now....
    How is laura in the final?!?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

We miss the 'where are they going today' routine in our house.

Haha yeah they were quality links!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Mel and Sue tried to make it the Mel and Sue show. I think the current presenters purposely take a step back and make it more about the bakers than the presenters, which I appreciate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Noel seems to have become a lot more vocal when they are discussing who should go home. He never did it before but was somewhat critical of Laura in the last two episodes. Wonder if he is being told to do that or if its off his own bat.

Also, I think Matt is doing a very good job. His humour is a bit random but he always has the contestants best interests at heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Addle wrote: »
    Mel and Sue tried to make it the Mel and Sue show. I think the current presenters purposely take a step back and make it more about the bakers than the presenters, which I appreciate.

I think the opposite, I think Noel and Matt distract the contestants way more than Mel and Sue ever did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

gmisk wrote: »
    Only watching the semi now....
    How is laura in the final?!?

By never being worst on any evening. That's pretty much what Prue said to Lottie quite early on.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Navy blue

I think people are forgetting just how bad Hermine was on the night. She had a poor signature (dough was underproved) a poor technical (overcooked dough) and a disaster of a showstopper. Her cubes looked like chicken fat that had been in the fridge for a week! It was practically inedible. Laura meanwhile had a good signature, disaster of a technical and while her show stopper looked terrible, but tasted amazing. It’s judged on their performance that week so the right person went IMO.

I also don’t get this narrative that Dave has improved so much. He was strong in the beginning (I had him picked as an early winner) and drifted a bit in the middle and has been good the last couple of weeks. Wonder are they setting up the feel good story that an underdog wins???

Overall it’s not the strongest final ever, it’s been a forgettable season over all. I’ve liked Dave from the beginning. There’s something sweet about him. I’d like to see him win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Addle wrote: »

I'd very much agree with that, there certainly was a bit too much "look at me" from them. Noel and Sandi had it pitch perfect and I think Matt Lucas might need more than one season before he can really judged but it's fair to say he's not been great so far.

A related issue is that they're both funny actors rather than comedians.

James Acaster would be worth a shout too, has that "off center" style commentary and he was fantastic on the specials.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

For me Noel is fine.. Matt just doesn't suit it.. It's like he's trying too hard all of the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Morathi

razorblunt wrote: »

James Acaster would be worth a shout too, has that "off center" style commentary and he was fantastic on the specials.

Started making it.

Had a breakdown.

Bon appetite.

On Matt, I like him outside of the "bits", he's sweet with the contestants.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭siblers

James Acaster would be class but think he'd be a bit too mad for it. Think he'd fill in very well for Jo Brand if she ever moves in, he'd have a bit more free reign than being in the tent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Who did Jo Brand's eye make up !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Happy4all wrote: »

She looked like she had about 6 pairs of eyebrows!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Happy4all wrote: »

Homer Simpson's Makeup Gun™.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

razorblunt wrote: »
    Homer Simpson's Makeup Gun™.

I have to say, I’ve started eating less random cakes and pasteries since I’ve started watching it - I never made cakes other than roll your own croissants out of a tin and rice crispie buns and am horrified at how much butter, sugar, etc goes into them. Especially all the butter.

I used quite fancy those fancy french tarts and pasteries covered in slivers of fruit and glazed but now all I see is 15 sheets of melted pig fat gelatine in a bowl of water and a drop of flavouring - quite has put me off :0

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

In the preview for the final, Dave looks the most pleased...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

I have to say, I’ve started eating less random cakes and pasteries since I’ve started watching it - I never made cakes other than roll your own croissants out of a tin and rice crispie buns and am horrified at how much butter, sugar, etc goes into them. Especially all the butter.

I used quite fancy those fancy french tarts and pasteries covered in slivers of fruit and glazed but now all I see is 15 sheets of melted pig fat gelatine in a bowl of water and a drop of flavouring - quite has put me off :0

Lol. Butter is the only ingredient that would go on my healthy eating list. Sugar and flour are the baddies. But yet again: moderation is a key.

My family won't eat shop bought now because homemade tastes like 100 times better. My husband says I've ruined it for him, i.e. he can't go into the shop and just buy some cake because it'll taste crap and now he has to wait when I'm in the mood for baking :D

Advertisement