Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great British Bake Off 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Addle wrote: »
    That’s pretty grueling and I’m sure had to have an effect on the outputs.

Less time to practice too. Do feel the technicals did take this into account as they didn't seem as challenging

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

The right winner.

Given his standard throughout the whole series.
    gmisk wrote: »
    Correct winner for me, so consistently good.
    I think I called it pretty early on :)
    Dave ran him very close he really improved.

Actually, Dave and Peter were pretty much on a par if you look at the competition overall. I wrote another post in the thread about the stats. They really were neck and neck. I’m not sure why people think Dave didn’t do well throughout the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Actually, Dave and Peter were pretty much on a par if you look at the competition overall. I wrote another post in the thread about the stats. They really were neck and neck. I’m not sure why people think Dave didn’t do well throughout the competition.

Without being scientific about it (because I can't!), I always felt Peter had the edge in terms of neatness, precision and presentation.

Which is what I think won him the final in the end.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Without being scientific about it (because I can't!), I always felt Peter had the edge in terms of neatness, precision and presentation.

Which is what I think won him the final in the end.

I think so. Though I thought Dave’s walnut whirls were very impressive tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I think so. Though I thought Dave’s walnut whirls were very impressive tonight.

They really were!!

• Advertisement

I was sad to hear that Laura received a lot of trolling on social media in the last week. I think she shouldn’t have made the final but the decision wasn’t hers. What was she going to do, turn down the opportunity?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Well in fairness, there hasn't exactly been much scope for exciting activities or achievements, now, has there??!!

Well no, there hasn't.

However the main update was people visited Lottie and Lottie visited people.

Oh and Laura tries to be tidy, a tazmanian devil would bake tidier than she does.

The baby was cute though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

A family member suggested that Paul might have a, ahem, special interest there.

🤣🤣🤣🤣. I used to live near Laura and honestly Paul was quite local too.

Laura would have been 5 minute walk, could see where she lives from my front door.

Paul 20 minute drive. Must get my old mates to keep an eye out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Gardesana Pecher

I have a feeling that even if Dave had perfected his showstopper, Peter would still have won. I feel that were forcing an appearance of a close call, where realistically you could sense Peter would win as far back as the 2nd episode.
    As for Laura, I think she got thrown under a bus for whatever C4 reasons were. There were 3 better contestants denied a spot that was given to her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Good season overall.

I really like Laura and if you knew her, you'd probably love her baking due to the taste & flavours but it's not bakery standard unfortunately.

Really began to like Dave as the series progressed. Admirable but not wise to revisit all of his poorer bakes. I wonder if he had taken the strategy of playing to his strengths rather than trying to fix his weaknesses would it have paid off.

Peter is probably the deserving winner. He was most consistent, appeared to be the most familiar with terms & technique, seemed to have the greatest passion for baking and executed it better than the rest.

• Advertisement

Earthhorse wrote: »
    I think Noel and Matt work well together and are funny.

But I don't think either of them work well with the contestants. It's very hard for the average person to play a good straight man to their absurd antics whereas Mel and Sue were a lot more down to earth.

But there's an element here too where I feel the show has run its course a bit.

I think it has too. I used to get such an excited tingle waiting for the winner to be announced. This year, I was pretty indifferent. BUT if the ratings are good, they won’t scrap it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Agree with the sentiment it wasn't exactly a vintage year but Covid had to be a part of that. It would have put a lot of people off applying, or it wouldn't have suited people to leave their friends and family for 6 weeks so the pool of possible contestants had to have been smaller than usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭Enzokk

People who were trolling Laura for a decision she didn't make needs to have their heads examined. I also don't think she should have been there, but that was more down to luck than anything else. Every time she was at the bottom someone else screwed up more. That is not her fault that happened. She only did what she could.

Just on the judging, am I wrong or did they not comment on the previous bakes of Mak this season and how boring they have been and that is one of the reasons why he was voted out?

I have always had a problem with shows like these as they could edit the heck out of it, but the judging on this show sometimes is inconsistent. Paul can say what he wants but they use the criteria as a guide but they do take previous bakes into consideration when it suits them. That is their right, but don't try to say it is only on one weekend's performance as it is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

I have a feeling that even if Dave had perfected his showstopper, Peter would still have won. I feel that were forcing an appearance of a close call, where realistically you could sense Peter would win as far back as the 2nd episode.
    As for Laura, I think she got thrown under a bus for whatever C4 reasons were. There were 3 better contestants denied a spot that was given to her.

I taught it was absolute madness... How she was in the final was a joke tbh.
    100% Hermine was robbed. was no excuse for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

[QUOTE=Gardesana Pecher;115410613 As for Laura, I think she got thrown under a bus for whatever C4 reasons were. There were 3 better contestants denied a spot that was given to her.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely agree. Poor Laura I did feel sorry for her, I never thought she should be in the final but I think they used her disgracefully. She provided them with lots of accidents and breakdowns, and that makes for 'entertaining TV'! Hermine should have been there and then the judges would have had to actually judge three bakers instead of two. Pity the trolls got their claws into her, she doesn't deserve that. Shameful.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭LilacNails

I reckon Herminie would have won if she made it to the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Moragle

I think it was more Dave wasn't very likeable.but in the final he praised both of the other finalists and when laura had her head in the freezer he was going to hug her,, you could see the arm. Hes just awkward

Moragle wrote: »
    I think it was more Dave wasn't very likeable.but in the final he praised both of the other finalists and when laura had her head in the freezer he was going to hug her,, you could see the arm. Hes just awkward

I actually found him more likeable than Peter throughout. Even the whole thing of Sura knocking his technical. People say he got angry at that which he didn’t. If you watch it back there’s no anger. He just says “It’s okay, one of them survived!”. I think because she totally overreacted with the prolonged crying (she was still tearful when she won that technical) that people think he was mean.

LilacNails wrote: »
    I reckon Herminie would have won if she made it to the final.

I think she would have too because both the lads made mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I think it has too. I used to get such an excited tingle waiting for the winner to be announced. This year, I was pretty indifferent. BUT if the ratings are good, they won’t scrap it.

And now I’m going to have one of my trademark changes of heart and disagree with myself. :D

Ah no, I do think this year and last were pretty poor both from a baking and personalities perspective. I want the show to be as good as it was, it’s just so wholesome and refreshing at its best but I’d wasn’t feeling that at all this year.

I think Hermine would have won had she performed as she did every week except the finals which is something I feel people forget when talking about Laura getting through; wanna blame someone for that then it’s her but I feel blaming isn’t in the spirit of the show!

As for Dave it’s hard to tell in these edited shows but I just couldn’t warm to him. Maybe a bit in the final as he showed some warmth towards the others but I wouldn’t judge someone too harshly for how they come across on TV and I feel he’s up against it with the strong competition of seasons of people who were very charming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I hoped Dave would pull it off and win ( when it became apparent after custard—gate that Laura couldn’t) but I did feel that babycakes face would win as he was so often so perfect. In terms of looks I felt Daves showstopper let him down a bit ( remember how amazing some of the pyramids and glazed cakes were) but I was dissapointed that Peter who is so imaginative and creative was doing his christmas buttons again.

When they were talking after and Peter was saying how obsessed he’d been with the show all his life I was a little gladder he’d won. Dave has his georgous family and new little cute baby Ronnie and you feel Laura is surrounded by family and delicious favourite baking and her husband and beautiful home - Peter chased and found his childhood dream. Its not often people get to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Noel Fielding was on paternity leave when they filmed this year's Christmas specials, so he is replaced with Tom Allen - sigh
    I'm not sure how the Christmas specials were filmed. They will be on Christmas Day and New Year's Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

pigtail33 wrote: »
    Noel Fielding was on paternity leave when they filmed this year's Christmas specials, so he is replaced with Tom Allen - sigh
    I'm not sure how the Christmas specials were filmed. They will be on Christmas Day and New Year's Day.

:eek:

pigtail33 wrote: »

Oh no! I enjoy the Christmas specials but I don’t not particularly enjoy Tom Allen. I hope he doesn’t bring his bitchy style to the tent. It would be totally out of place.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,164 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Not his biggest fan and his jokes dont land with me most of the time but on bake off professionals i havent found him to be like that so hopefully he won't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Aw did anyone catch the Extra Slice show tonight? Dave proposed to his girlfriend! It was a sweet moment, clearly meant a lot to him to do it that way ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

dee_mc wrote: »
    Aw did anyone catch the Extra Slice show tonight? Dave proposed to his girlfriend! It was a sweet moment, clearly meant a lot to him to do it that way ☺

Video in this article for anyone who missed it :)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-8994827/Great-British-Bake-star-Dave-Friday-PROPOSES-girlfriend-Stacey-Valentine-Extra-Slice.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,247 ✭✭✭Poochie05

jellybear wrote: »

Ah that was lovely!
    I got the impression by the change in his demeanour as the series went on that Dave learned a lot about himself.
    I found him really intense at the start, but as someone else said, he was a strong baker from the start, and while he continued to be competitive, he seemed to relax in to the show and I think that is maybe what people are commenting on when they say he improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I suppose to each his own but I have never understood the need to propose in public , let alone on TV .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I suppose to each his own but I have never understood the need to propose in public , let alone on TV .

Same but in this case it didn't seem obnoxious so I'll give him a pass!

Advertisement