Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great British Bake Off 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,257 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I think Lottie might have lost a buddy this week, those two looked like they had quite a bond going on (in the nicest possible way!). I really liked Mark, very sorry to see him go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

Such a boring episode!! I agree with previous posters, anyone but Dave to win! I liked Mark, shame to see him go.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭siblers

It went very wrong very quickly for Mark. Had expected him to make the final 4 if not the final 3. His showstopper must have been very, very bad. Bit strange as he didn't seem to be under much pressure during his bake, appeared to be more out of carelessness than lack of ability that cost him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Addle wrote: »
    My favorite contestants in the bottom 3 tonight, but would rather Mark L leave than Hermine and Laura.

Anyone but Dave for the win. How did he not know what a crescent is?!

I like Dave. I can’t see what people dislike about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ChannelNo5

Took the words out of my mouth. i don't get all the hate. He was genuinely upset when Mark got the boot last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I think he's a very socially awkward person and on a show like this that can come off as cold and distant. One of my friends is convinced he's a sociopath.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Navy blue

Dave reminds me of last years winner, comes across as a little bit cold. I’d say he’s very competitive. I like him though.Hard to see a standout winner this year. Lottie can get it very right but also very wrong. Candice from a few years back was a bit like that but she pulled it together towards the end and won.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,506 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Addle wrote: »

Anyone but Dave for the win. How did he not know what a crescent is?!

I don’t really mind who wins this year because I really disliked last years guy.

I think Dave only started baking in the last few years and he had practiced lots and lots of recipes however he mustn’t have come across a crescent!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,257 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I don’t really mind who wins this year because I really disliked last years guy.

I think Dave only started baking in the last few years and he had practiced lots and lots of recipes however he mustn’t have come across a crescent!
    If you speak English, I'd have thought you'd know what a crescent is? :confused: It's hardly a technical baking term!

Dave has a very intense way about him, can't say I've warmed to him much - but I think I'm beginning to prefer him Lottie's simpering and flirting style - I'm so over that at this stage, just get on with the baking ffs - and AT LEAST HIS HAIR ISN'T ALL OVER THE SHOP!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

It's not a baking term though, it's just a shape.

• Advertisement

Navy blue wrote: »
    Dave reminds me of last years winner, comes across as a little bit cold. I’d say he’s very competitive. I like him though.Hard to see a standout winner this year. Lottie can get it very right but also very wrong. Candice from a few years back was a bit like that but she pulled it together towards the end and won.

See, maybe that’s why I don’t mind him. I’m quite openly competitive so I like it in other people too but it’s a trait that can rub other people up the wrong way. Though, let’s not kid ourselves, they are ALL competitive. :D

I think Hermine might nick it. She’s been a strong contestant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I don't mind Dave anymore either. He does look very intense but I think that's his natural expression, anytime Noel or Matt come over he's quite engaging and likes to joke around with them and there's nothing wrong with wanting to win or being frustrated for not doing as well as you wanted.

Its better than pretending you don't care if you win

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

What do you think about Extra slice this season? I don't find it entertaining at all. I missed last friday's episode and I can't be bothered to go looking for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

j@utis wrote: »
    What do you think about Extra slice this season? I don't find it entertaining at all. I missed last friday's episode and I can't be bothered to go looking for it.

I watch it up to the moment Tom Allen arrives then I switch off . I just cannot listen to his nonsense .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Dont think much of it tbh. Tom Allen is even more annoying this season than usual!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I watch it for Tom Allen but beyond that it's far too scripted with some really silly jokes based an the weeks episode (not remotely funny). Jo Brand is wasted on it and don't get me started on that fúckin' mariachi band.

I stopped watching when Tom Allen was added to the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

If it was half the length - maybe, now it just feels too drowned out and just plain boring. Not having real audience doesn't work, not tasting brought in bakes takes away even more from the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

If it was half the length - maybe, now it just feels too drowned out and just plain boring. Not having real audience doesn't work, not tasting brought in bakes takes away even more from the show.

Definitely, I think 30 minutes would be fine, cut out the "here's Prue's reaction when she saw Paul's buns" bits.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I was sad to see Mark L go this week, he was a fun guy to have there and he seemed to do really well up to this week. A shame but it's at the stage now where it is a shame to see any of them go home as they are all very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Very little to choose between the bakers this week and in general I think for the contestants left.

Glad to see Lottie get star baker, she seems to have upped her game.

I don’t hate Dave but he’s not a very warm person and that’s a stark contrast with the others who all seem very friendly. I wouldn’t mind seeing him win if he bakes better than the others but right now my money's on Hermine or Peter for the overall prize.

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Very little to choose between the bakers this week and in general I think for the contestants left.

Glad to see Lottie get star baker, she seems to have upped her game.

I don’t hate Dave but he’s not a very warm person and that’s a stark contrast with the others who all seem very friendly. I wouldn’t mind seeing him win if he bakes better than the others but right now my money's on Hermine or Peter for the overall prize.

I think Hermine too. She had a bit of a wobble this week but has overall been a strong contestant and I personally thought she was unlucky to not win Star Baker last week. Though she could be this series’ Tamal or Luis - a strong contestant who is just always pipped by somebody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I really like Hermine but her voice is really loud/grating!
    I'm sure I said this about last year's contestants but it applies this year too: they're a lovely bunch! I think Lottie is my favourite, now that Mark L is gone, but Stephen has some great ideas and Laura is a very warm character with fun ideas too... yeah, I like them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

dee_mc wrote: »
    I really like Hermine but her voice is really loud/grating!
    I'm sure I said this about last year's contestants but it applies this year too: they're a lovely bunch! I think Lottie is my favourite, now that Mark L is gone, but Stephen has some great ideas and Laura is a very warm character with fun ideas too... yeah, I like them all.

There's no stephen i believe the men left are peter Dave and mark?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

awsah wrote: »
    There's no stephen i believe the men left are peter Dave and mark?!

Thanks, I meant Peter!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,715 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Seamai wrote: »
    I watch it for Tom Allen but beyond that it's far too scripted with some really silly jokes based an the weeks episode (not remotely funny). Jo Brand is wasted on it and don't get me started on that fúckin' mariachi band.
    I only watch the tom allen bit now on extra slice tbh.
    It's far far too long

• Registered Users Posts: 55,509 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Just saw on Facebook that Luis Troyano from Season 5 has passed away. RIP. :(

P4xCBrM.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Mr E wrote: »
    Just saw on Facebook that Luis Troyano from Season 5 has passed away. RIP.

He was only 48! Way too young. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Oh god that's awful news!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I'm a little behind but bring on the quiches.
    I was unintentionally on theme today having had one for my lunch!

Advertisement