Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New social housing Johnstown court

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 466 ✭✭DangerScouse

Free gaffs.

Foreva homes.

10,000 homeless.

This country is heading one way.

Factcheck: There isn't one single free "gaff" in Ireland. Everybody pay rent to the county council.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Factcheck: There isn't one single free "gaff" in Ireland. Everybody pay rent to the county council.

So if you're not working and in receipt of social welfare and living in a council house, what are you contributing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Caranica wrote: »
    Reality is that even in Dun Laoghaire Rathdown, you're rarely more than a stone's throw away from people you might not want to live near.

Housing associations tend to have stricter rules on anti social behaviour than local authorities so it's not the end of the world.

I don't know anything as to how Cluid etc conduct their business - but in reality, what powers do these housing associations have to deal with anti-social tenants (are they tenants or do they have a stake in the property?)
    Seeing as its a mountain of a task to get rid of a tenant, particularly in the Covid-era, what can these associations do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Except for all those given social housing who then dont pay the rent hence why councils are owed somewhere in the region of €65,000,000 in rent arrears - and people wonder why councils dont want to build social housing....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

Eh, factcheck: yes there is.

If you're on social welfare, that's money you are getting for free. You are not working to receive that money.

You then pay 15 percent of this money every week that you have gotten for free from the government, towards a house which is provided by a local authority (local government ie the government).

Ergo - Free house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

The housing agencies are buying up property left right and center, or entering into 25 year long leases. The guidelines state that all new developments must meet the part V criteria which is 10% allocated to social housing.
    Anything the housing agencies buy can be 100% social housing and there is feck all anyone can do about it. The local authorities attitude is it gets people off the housing lists. They claim to vet the tenants, they claim to have strict policies regarding these tenants but how true this is I dont know.

They are popping up all over the place. Personally I wouldnt buy next to a social development.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Factcheck.

DCC is owed 40 million in rent arrears form social housing.

You're fact is debunked.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Cluid do a pretty decent job of management of social housing ,I've seen them evict people for having dogs and arrears ,they tend not to put up with messing one thing they do is limit the number of children in estates they own ,
    They mix their housing between , families , older people and single people .
    And are very strict about pets no dogs or cats allowed in cluid properties they have been known to evict on breaches of tenancy agreements

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I wouldn't want to buy next door to a bunch of social houses either OP.
    I live close to Ballybrack near there and it's amazing the difference walking from a mostly social housing area to a mostly private housing one, it is like night and day.
    One area will have graffiti and litter everywhere, the green areas will have burnt out husks of trees previously set on fire, scorched paths from previous stuff set alight on them, abandoned Tesco shopping trolleys in the stream, houses which clearly haven't had a lick of paint or maintenance since the day they were built, the list goes on - the council does everything or nothing gets done.

Turn a corner into a private estate and none or little of this is present.

Have a look at the Ballybrack end of Kilbogget park versus the other end with the rusty fish sculpture in Cabinteely to see what I mean. Some scrotes ripped up all the new trees planted at the newly revamped Ballybrack entrance one night just for kicks for example recently, there's a lot more happening that end throughout the year as anyone that goes though it regularly will tell you that simply is non-existent at the other (primarily private housing) end.
    The sad truth is though that unless you can afford the likes of Foxrock, Dalkey or a house in the countryside , there is always going to be areas like this around Dublin. A 5-10 minute walk away from it is probably as good as it will get in most parts of Dublin.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,044 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Gatling wrote: »
    Cluid do a pretty decent job of management of social housing ,I've seen them evict people for having dogs and arrears ,they tend not to put up with messing one thing they do is limit the number of children in estates they own ,
    And are very strict about pets no dogs or cats allowed in cluid properties they have been known to evict on breaches of tenancy agreements

I would say the exact opposite - our dealings with cluid have shown that they are toothless to tackle anti-social behaviour - burglaries, car thefts, house parties etc all traced back to 1 cluid owned home.
    Multiple gardai complaints, hundreds of phone calls and emails - they basically fobbed everyone off.

They have their own disciplinary procedures for tenants in which they get several chances - regardless of how serious the offence is. After all these chances have expired, they *may* initiate eviction proceedings - although they admit in this case they fully expect to go to RTB and then on to court which would take months/years to resolve.

The only way anti-social tenants ended up leaving is that Cluid offered them a place elsewhere - so that they (cluid) didn't have to deal with 50+ residents of estate complaining to them daily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

timmyntc wrote: »
    I would say the exact opposite - our dealings with cluid have shown that they are toothless to tackle anti-social behaviour - burglaries, car thefts, house parties etc all traced back to 1 cluid owned home.
    Multiple gardai complaints, hundreds of phone calls and emails - they basically fobbed everyone off.

They have their own disciplinary procedures for tenants in which they get several chances - regardless of how serious the offence is. After all these chances have expired, they *may* initiate eviction proceedings - although they admit in this case they fully expect to go to RTB and then on to court which would take months/years to resolve.

The only way anti-social tenants ended up leaving is that Cluid offered them a place elsewhere - so that they (cluid) didn't have to deal with 50+ residents of estate complaining to them daily.

Great little country.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Could I ask you if you know of these things first hand? I wouldn’t mind social housing if the effort to combat anti social behavior is there

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Could I ask you if you know of these things first hand? I wouldn’t mind social housing if the effort to combat anti social behavior is there

All the effort in the world can be there but it's very, very difficult to evict. That said 5 - 10 minutes walk away can make all the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,967 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

KungPao wrote: »
    Probably the possible horses, scramblers, noisy neighbours, drug dealers, travellers etc.

Do you find many of these things around Beacon South Quarter?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-20162417.html

I think we have made up our mind and are going to continue with the purchase. They are mostly 1 bed apartments, so not too many kids involved, and as I said, they are not next door or anything like it. They’re a little bit far away

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭C3PO

I have lived nearby, in Shankill, for 20 years OP and have plenty of social housing within 5-10 minutes walk of my home. While there is undoubtedly some anti-social behaviour in those areas we have never had a problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mumm_ra

As a previous poster said buy in a settled area. No way I would buy a new build with the uncertainty the council is promoting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Mumm_ra wrote: »
    As a previous poster said buy in a settled area. No way I would buy a new build with the uncertainty the council is promoting.

I think you are dead right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

Mumm_ra wrote: »

The funny thing is if you do choose to buy in a settled area to avoid potential dodgy council tenants in new build estates, you’ll likely end up with a gas boiler (not heat pump), no solar panels, and lower insulation standards.

While the social tenants in the new builds will have all the bells and whistles.

Then you have to spend a fortune retrofitting your older safer bet property. And of course if someone on social welfare has an older house, they can apply for free upgrades.

Mad country all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

The funny thing is if you do choose to buy in a settled area to avoid potential dodgy council tenants in new build estates, you’ll likely end up with a gas boiler (not heat pump), no solar panels, and lower insulation standards.

While the social tenants in the new builds will have all the bells and whistles.

Then you have to spend a fortune retrofitting your older safer bet property. And of course if someone on social welfare has an older house, they can apply for free upgrades.

That's the situation we found ourselves, our area is nice and civilised and we have a garden and a safe environment for us and the kids here, but nearby in Ballybrack it's not great to be honest, I wouldn't like to live there, some of the council houses are very run down and the street outside is covered in litter and broken glass, depressing. You give people something for free, they don't put any value on it and as a result dont look after it.

We got double glazing in, fitted a gas combi boiler (awesome - instant hot water) and as a result we got rid of the immersion and put a shower in place of the hotpress where it lived in the bathroom. Wouldn't change it, new builds are great and all, but these days you just don't know who you are going to end up beside.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

Supercell wrote: »
    That's the situation we found ourselves, our area is nice and civilised and we have a garden and a safe environment for us and the kids here, but nearby in Ballybrack it's not great to be honest, I wouldn't like to live there, some of the council houses are very run down and the street outside is covered in litter and broken glass, depressing. You give people something for free, they don't put any value on it and as a result dont look after it.

We got double glazing in, fitted a gas combi boiler (awesome - instant hot water) and as a result we got rid of the immersion and put a shower in place of the hotpress where it lived in the bathroom. Wouldn't change it, new builds are great and all, but these days you just don't know who you are going to end up beside.

I understand. Having said that, I bought in a new development in 2008 and I couldn’t be happier with the neighbors that I got. Amazing people

I understand. Having said that, I bought in a new development in 2008 and I couldn’t be happier with the neighbors that I got. Amazing people

Not really relevant because developers used to be able to offer properties in other developments in lieu of the part 5 requirement in any particular development. Or cash. They cannot do this anymore. 10 percent of all properties in a development with 10 or more houses must be given to a local authority. No cash substitute, no houses elsewhere.

Absolutely ridiculous really, that a house you could be paying 400k for, some people who might not have worked a day in their lives might be getting for free.

So owners of new builds in 2008 were still likely not living beside social housing tenants. Wouldnt in a million years buy in a new development now. A total p*sstake for the people actually forking out money for the properties, you'd want to be a bit of an idiot to be buying in a new build now.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭breadmonster

It sickening what the hell are people working for, trying to save for 20 years to build a deposit and then get out bought on houses given away for free.
    May as well just go on the dole and join everyone else, less stress, healthier everything's free. starting to think only dumb people work in this country i'm just a slave if you earn less than 60k forget about it go on the scratch.

It sickening what the hell are people working for, trying to save for 20 years to build a deposit and then get out bought on houses given away for free.

You understand not everyone in social housing is lifelong unemployed ,

The majority work

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭billyhead

It's not only new builds. The council's are buying up private houses for sale and moving people on the local authority waiting list into them.

You understand not everyone in social housing is lifelong unemployed ,

The majority work

You understand that to be eligible for social housing, you have to be under an income limit.

You understand that two people working minimum wage 40 hour jobs have you over the income limit in every single local authority in Ireland?

So tell me, how are the majority of these people working? Maybe they improve their circumstances once they get the property, but any couple moving into one of these houses is guaranteed to be on some form of welfare.

billyhead wrote: »
    It's not only new builds. The council's are buying up private houses for sale and moving people on the local authority waiting list into them.

True, but its a minority of local authorities who are definitely more aggressive than others in this regard.

Usually the agent or the owner of the property will contact the council to ask them to inspect with a view to bidding. Most local authority interest isnt coming out if thin air.

Typically the local authority is only interested where there wont be huge public interest, although there are outliers. Obviously a slap in the face to those who have to buy their own house with their own money, which they have likely worked hard and struggled for years to come up with.

Coybig_ wrote: »
    You understand that two people working minimum wage 40 hour jobs have you over the income limit in every single local authority in Ireland?

Do you happen to have the the limits for every single authority in Ireland at all ?

Do you happen to have the the limits for every single authority in Ireland at all ?

http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/Housing/FileDownLoad,29414,en.pdf

• Advertisement

Coybig_ wrote: »

In parts 42,000 enough for a mortgage , enough for a mortgage deposit no ,
    Is it a lot when you have to pay for childcare , medical and educational needs of children absolutely not .
    It there in private rentals half that income in going on rent

Advertisement