Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

COUNTDOWN: Top 50 Music Albums Of All-Time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

No Elvis Costello in the list ? He has some fantastic albums. Imperial Bedroom, This Years Model, Get Happy and King of America are all superb records. Also disappointed not to see Teenage Fanclub, Bandwagonesque, Songs From Northen Britain and especially Grand Prix, are all great. Also, Cake, I've Seen Everything and Weightlifting by Trashcan Sinatras are three of my very favourite records, but I doubt anyone here has even heard of them.

Arghus wrote: »
    Considering you put Fever Ray at number one, what did you think of the album from a couple of years back? It grew on me a lot eventually.

Good shout there with Cat Power, Moon Pix is a fantastic record. Cross bones style - what a tune!

I wasn't sure about Plunge at first but it really grew on me after a while. Felt more like a Knife album than a Fever Ray follow-up, although "Mustn't Hurry" and "Red Trails" definitely have shades of the self-titled album in them. I really liked the queer liberation lyrical themes throughout. :D

Moon Pix is my "hate the world" album, the one I turn to when I'm really feeling down and want the world to end. So it's probably a good thing that I haven't listened to it in full for quite a while! But still an incredible album and will always hold a special place in my heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

trashcan wrote: »
    No Elvis Costello in the list ? He has some fantastic albums. Imperial Bedroom, This Years Model, Get Happy and King of America are all superb records. Also disappointed not to see Teenage Fanclub, Bandwagonesque, Songs From Northen Britain and especially Grand Prix, are all great. Also, Cake, I've Seen Everything and Weightlifting by Trashcan Sinatras are three of my very favourite records, but I doubt anyone here has even heard of them.

When I saw your name float in here last night I just assumed you were a Trashcan Sinatras fan tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

trashcan wrote: »

A rather barbed comment.
    I bought Cake on release date June 1990; it's grand but there were about 20 better albums released that year.
    Edit: agree re This Year's Model and Grand Prix

No Cure
    No Neil Young
    No Van Morrison

All three of these are "Greatest Hits" type artists for me, I really like what I know by them (and have even seen all of them live!) but haven't given their full studio albums a proper listen. I have listened to Neil Young's Harvest and really enjoyed it, and I have The Cure's Disintegration on my to-do list for a long time, but they all have such a huge back catalogue that it feels daunting to even contemplate going through them all.

Thought Van Morrison's Astral Weeks might have made it here but given his recent outbursts we have to "cancel" it. :pac: On which note, Oasis and Stone Roses should probably be removed from this list too, get some good public health ambassadors like Jedward on this list instead!

All three of these are "Greatest Hits" type artists for me, I really like what I know by them (and have even seen all of them live!) but haven't given their full studio albums a proper listen. I have listened to Neil Young's Harvest and really enjoyed it, and I have The Cure's Disintegration on my to-do list for a long time, but they all have such a huge back catalogue that it feels daunting to even contemplate going through them all.

Thought Van Morrison's Astral Weeks might have made it here but given his recent outbursts we have to "cancel" it. :pac: On which note, Oasis and Stone Roses should probably be removed from this list too, get some good public health ambassadors like Jedward on this list instead!

Disintegration barely missed out for me.

If you're gonna start anywhere with the The Cure start there.

No Suede was a surprise. Dog Man Star definitely one of the 90s best.

Disintegration barely missed out for me.

If you're gonna start anywhere with the The Cure start there.

Re Disintegration: I suggest not listening to Last Dance and Homesick until afterwards. If listening on CD, programme them out. I don't think they fit - at the time the LP had 10 tracks (and was an absolutely sh*t pressing) while the CD had 12 - those two were the extras and are much inferior to the rest of the album. Seeing them on that tour was my favourite concert ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I honestly thought that Disintegration would make it in the top-50, a superb album.
    I know though that Cure is one of these bands that people kind of love to hate and hate to love.
    I think for the younger people it probably doesn't help that after the 90s The Cure didn't release too much great music - Bloodflowers is probably the last good album they did.

But Disintegration definitely worth a listen. It is a quite dark album, I was 17 at the time and it really left a lasting impression on me.

Re Disintegration: I suggest not listening to Last Dance and Homesick until afterwards. If listening on CD, programme them out. I don't think they fit - at the time the LP had 10 tracks (and was an absolutely sh*t pressing) while the CD had 12 - those two were the extras and are much inferior to the rest of the album. Seeing them on that tour was my favourite concert ever.

It's a good point.
    I actually bought it on a cassette at the time and the 2 songs were on it. I think they weren't only on the vinyl version, right?
    For what it's worth Last Dance is my favourite song from Disintegration and I think it fits nicely. I agree on Homesick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭BobbyMalone

I thought that came from a deodorant advert, if my memories of the Classic Albums documentary on Nevermind is reliable. Great show, but I can't get over how Krist looks like a Microsoft director these days in chinos and all.

I think it was both: Tobi Vail sprayed it on his wall, so Kurt got it from her, but only found out afterwards it was from an advert ... could well be wrong on that, though.

Irish Aris wrote: »
    I honestly thought that Disintegration would make it in the top-50, a superb album.
    I know though that Cure is one of these bands that people kind of love to hate and hate to love.
    I think for the younger people it probably doesn't help that after the 90s The Cure didn't release too much great music - Bloodflowers is probably the last good album they did.

But Disintegration definitely worth a listen. It is a quite dark album, I was 17 at the time and it really left a lasting impression on me.

I think a lot of albums that made it in the final list were those that were released at the time posters were late teens leaving school and finishing college- that timeframe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Given The River hasn't been yet, I'd say too little

Did it feature at all?

Irish Aris wrote: »
    It's a good point.
    I actually bought it on a cassette at the time and the 2 songs were on it. I think they weren't only on the vinyl version, right?
    For what it's worth Last Dance is my favourite song from Disintegration and I think it fits nicely. I agree on Homesick

Yes, the cassette also had the 12 tracks.
    The vinyl was a single pressing and was crammed - almost 60 minutes on one LP and that was just 10 tracks. I had the picture disc first, then got the regular LP - not much better. Eventually got the CD that Christmas which was a big improvement - quiet but sounded great turned up.

Back then CDs would often have extra track(s) in an effort to entice purchasers. It's always interesting to see what is considered the definitive tracklisting. Michael Jackson's Bad is another (Leave Me Alone was the 11th man)

PS: might have posted this already but here's my take on that The Cure's 1989 RDS gig - here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,478 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Did it feature at all?
    I don't believe so. It's my favourite Springsteen album but I've no complaints about how he was represented here :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭thebronze14

Songs for the Deaf - Queens of the Stoneage
    Colour and the Shape - Foo Fighters
    Ride the Lightning - Metallica
    RATM - Rage Against the Machine
    Funeral - Arcade Fire
    Permission to Land - The Darkness
    Whatever People Say I am Thats what I'm Not - Arctic Monkeys
    Dirt - Alice in Chains
    A Vulgar Display of Power - Pantera
    Leviathan - Mastodon

Must have been listening to a lot of metal that week. Prob be a few changes for indie albums if I did it this week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

PS: might have posted this already but here's my take on that The Cure's 1989 RDS gig - here

Ha ha , had to sneak out to that one, still have my orange and silver ticket. Managed to obtain one of Roberts black scarfs, remember dancing to All about Eve, loads of space, as there were very few people around.

speckle wrote: »
    Ha ha , had to sneak out to that one, still have my orange and silver ticket. Managed to obtain one of Roberts black scarfs, remember dancing to All about Eve, loads of space, as there were very few people around.

Did you go Saturday or Sunday? I went Saturday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Going back to what Homer was saying about greatest hit artists, yeah, there's a few like that for me too. Really excellent, even legendary acts, that are up there with the best but just haven't produced a top to bottom consistent album that I love:

The Who
    Bob Dylan - even if I did vote for Blood on The Tracks
    Super Furry Animals - I'd go as far as to say SFA are my favourite British band of the last 30 years, but they don't have a consistent five out of five album. Though their singles collection is outstandingly good.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

@ Reberetta , thanks for organising. What an interesting countdown.

It is great to see the different tastes in music. I will be dipping into Lloyd Cole and Arcade Fire in the near future.

Did you go Saturday or Sunday? I went Saturday
    Same as yourself sat 15th, gosh very cheap 15.50 ticket. Bravely went by myself, none of my friends were interested. Had to sneak out and back home. hahha
    Edit: just looked at back of the ticket, gosh only under 14's had to be accompanied by an adult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

speckle wrote: »
    Just a little list to add of female fronted bands or artists albums that were not in the top 50

Aretha Franklin...lady soul
    Bat for lashes...two suns
    Blondie... parallel lines
    Fairport convention...liege and leaf
    Florence and the machine...lungs
    Goldfrapp...supernature
    Janis Joplin... pearl
    joni mitchel..song to a seagull
    Kate bush... hounds of love
    Mazzy star...she hangs brightly
    Patti smith... Easter
    Pj Harvey... to bring you my love
    Sinead o Connor...i do not want what i haven’t got
    Sleater kinney... the woods
    The breeders... the last splash
    Toris Amos...under the pink

I wonder was Amy Winehouse even put forward/nominated, Frank is better than Back to Black imho

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I wonder was Amy Winehouse even put forward/nominated, Frank is better than Back to Black imho
    No idea until Reberetta posts the full list. I never got Amy, her voice.. I don't know was too affected for me, but a shame she passed away would have been interesting to see where she went next musically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I was also at a bit of a loss about Amy Winehouse. It all felt a bit put on to me. She had a good voice, but I really didn't feel it when she was singing. She could have been singing about her heart breaking or burning toast and there'd be no discernable change in audible emotion to my ears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I would love to have heard her sing about her burnt toast :D

• Advertisement

Songs for the Deaf - Queens of the Stoneage
    Colour and the Shape - Foo Fighters
    Ride the Lightning - Metallica
    RATM - Rage Against the Machine
    Funeral - Arcade Fire
    Permission to Land - The Darkness
    Whatever People Say I am Thats what I'm Not - Arctic Monkeys
    Dirt - Alice in Chains
    A Vulgar Display of Power - Pantera
    Leviathan - Mastodon

Must have been listening to a lot of metal that week. Prob be a few changes for indie albums if I did it this week

Assumed you were a QOTSA fan with your username as it is anyway! :)

Share them with this guy if you can, and he'll share the love;

https://www.facebook.com/fanningsessions

Again, please consider sharing them - this guy would love to get his hands on them; https://twitter.com/KillianM2

I thought that came from a deodorant advert, if my memories of the Classic Albums documentary on Nevermind is reliable. Great show, but I can't get over how Krist looks like a Microsoft director these days in chinos and all.

Will do, but not sure what condition they’re in at this point-a trip to the attic for s required-nice find thanks for sharing.
    Btw both of you are correct- the girlfriend paint sprayed Kurt smells like teen spirit” on a wall- it was an actual deodorant but Kurt apparently didn’t know that at the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Wasn't online over the weekend, and I missed 37 pages !!

To save me searching through all that, Can anyone post what the result was ?

Ta.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

As regards The Cure, I did buy one album by them: Seventeen Seconds. That's the one with one of their greatest songs: A Forest.

EDIT: I did also get a remixes collection by The Cure but I don't think that counts!

I have three albums by Depeche Mode: Violator, Songs of Faith and Devotion and Playing The Angel. All of them are brilliant. Had it been 20 nominations, I am sure I would have included at least one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

A rather barbed comment.
    I bought Cake on release date June 1990; it's grand but there were about 20 better albums released that year.
    Edit: agree re This Year's Model and Grand Prix

Didn't intend it to be barbed. It's just that they aren't very well known, it seems a couple of people have heard of them, which is great. I think Cake is a fantastic record. Still holds up thirty years later. If there were 20 better albums released that year I'd love to hear them. From the minute I heard Obscurity Knocks on Donal Dineens TV show I was hooked. Bought the album the same day.

• Advertisement

ShaneU wrote: »
    I would love to have heard her [Amy Winehouse] sing about her burnt toast :D

Is that not what the song Back to Black is about? :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

greenspurs wrote: »
    Wasn't online over the weekend, and I missed 37 pages !!

To save me searching through all that, Can anyone post what the result was ?

Ta.

7f05aa604a60863d5adb34bd8508fca9.gif

I am kind of ripping the piss here, so apologies to all.

But given the poll demographic it is fair to say that the chart could easily resemble the weekly record sales from a Golden Discs in Tullamore or Letterkenny:).

There were only 50 odd contributions ffs. Not one rap album and no Michael Jackson or Massive Attack. The woke brigade would have a conniption is they saw the results.:P

A bland mid west crossover "rock" star hit the charts 3 times. The likes of Bowie, Led Zeppelin and poor Grandmaster Flash did not even get a look in.:pac::pac:

IAMAMORON wrote: »

But given the poll demographic it is fair to say that the chart could easily resemble the weekly record sales from a Golden Discs in Tullamore or Letterkenny:).

There were only 50 odd contributions ffs. Not one rap album and no Michael Jackson or Massive Attack. The woke brigade would have a conniption is they saw the results.:P

A bland mid west crossover "rock" star hit the charts 3 times. The likes of Bowie, Led Zeppelin and poor Grandmaster Flash did not even get a look in.:pac::pac:

On Bowie: I was one of the people that voted for him heavily on the best artist of all time competition. But when it comes to albums, I wouldn't be able to pick one that I would consider top-10 (or even top-20) of all time. For me the value of Bowie was how consistent he was, never making a bad album (I am one of those people that even liked the very badly received Never Let Me Down album) and how much of a chameleon he was throughout his career (Tin Machine anyone?). If I had to vote for an album it would have been Let's Dance, top quality 80s pop!!

I did submit Massive Attack's Blue Lines, I think it is a masterpiece.
    MJs Thriller missed on my nominations, it would have probably made it in a top-20

There was an album by Led Zeppelin in the countdown.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I nominated at least one if not two rap albums iirc.

(waits for Reberetta to smugly point out I nominated Teletubbies; The Hits or something similar)

;)

As i said, there is nothing wrong with anyone's selections. Music is a powerful and subjective thing.

But the sample size was very small and lets' be honest, I wouldn't listen to Bruce bleedin Springers with your earphones ... just saying:o

I don't expect people from the country to appreciate Easy E or Snoop Dog either.:D

I don't expect people from the country to appreciate Easy E or Snoop Dog either.:D

From the country?

*gets really expensive organic buttered popcorn saved for special occasions at the ready*

As i said, there is nothing wrong with anyone's selections. Music is a powerful and subjective thing.

But the sample size was very small and lets' be honest, I wouldn't listen to Bruce bleedin Springers with your earphones ... just saying:o

I will admit I was surprised at the number of Bruce Springsteen albums that made the countdown.

Another surprising omission was White Ladder by David Gray. It was a megaseller in Ireland. I bought it myself, although I did not nominate it and I suppose I have lost interest in it somewhat.

From the country?

*gets really expensive organic buttered popcorn saved for special occasions at the ready*

Sorry.... I meant to say culchies ... ( grabs popcorn also ).:)

• Advertisement

There was an album by Led Zeppelin in the countdown.

Apols, my bad. But 3 Springsteen's?

Someone has been driving their GTI.

Not one Rory Gallagher Album? Hendrix? The Prodigy? Chemical Bros? Daft Punk?

Not even Grace Jones? I mean FFFFFFFFFFFFFSake. :pac:

I will admit I was surprised at the number of Bruce Springsteen albums that made the countdown.

Another surprising omission was White Ladder by David Gray. It was a megaseller in Ireland. I bought it myself, although I did not nominate it and I suppose I have lost interest in it somewhat.

You are shameless.....
    Only messing he is personal guilty pleasure of mine also:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Apt username

Apols, my bad. But 3 Springsteen's?

Someone has been driving their GTI.

Not one Rory Gallagher Album? Hendrix? The Prodigy? Chemical Bros? Daft Punk?

Not even Grace Jones? I mean FFFFFFFFFFFFFSake. :pac:

Ah here, I am a huge fan of Grace Jones, but which album of hers is that good to get a nod here? Ms Jones is about the whole presence, the aura she has, and the amazing live performer she still is!!

I realize that everybody couldn't make the Top 50! However, I'm kind of surprised that there was not at least one album by Coldplay in the countdown. I bought three by Coldplay and I did nominate one of them - A Rush of Blood to the Head.

There were a lot of albums by Bob Dylan and Brucie in the countdown.

Apart from a Greatest Hits collection (which does not count!), I did get one album by Bob Dylan - Oh Mercy. I think that's a really good album, which I must revisit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Bruce is a Jersey boy. At least get your facts straight if you're gonna have a pop at the boss :p

I think I read somewhere that that was the biggest selling album ever in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Fun fact: the Nevermind Baby's favourite chat-up line when he grew up was 'Hi, would you like to see me naked again?'. :D

Bruce is a Jersey boy. At least get your facts straight if you're gonna have a pop at the boss :p

So were Bon Jovi, it didn't stop them being popular in Kentucky Trailer Parks:P

I think I read somewhere that that was the biggest selling album ever in Ireland.

I am sure Westlife sold more albums? I could be wrong, but it can depend on what website you are looking at? Music marketing is aware that people will simply purchase music if it is number 1. It happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

I've seen many greatest album lists over the years. They're just a bit of fun and I enjoyed this one as much as the others, but this one was comfortably the worst selection I've ever seen :D

• Advertisement

Grandmaster Flash hasn't made an outstanding album - good singles - but nothing to compare with Public Enemy, De La Soul, A Tribe Called Quest, Wu Tang Clan etc.

Here's a chart from Golden Discs that isn't in line with your generalisation

50940406_10161528150125089_7771826352419766272_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=z6ewJou6spgAX9RELnE&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-1.fna&oh=86bd4b6ea41f230efd79eba6710bad19&oe=5F9727A9

Advertisement