Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COUNTDOWN: Top 50 Music Albums Of All-Time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I'm a massive Interpol fan. Their gig at Oxegen 2005 was one of the greatest gigs of my life. Paul Banks visibly shat himself when he saw the crowd heaving in the tent. Turn On the Bright Lights was one of my nominations. I have loved it since the very first time I heard the opening bars of Untitled.

:D:D:D

He visibly sh1te-ed himself ?? On stage??😳

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Great to see Rumours doing so well.

The mid-years are worth checking out too - this new set is excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

He visibly sh1te-ed himself ?? On stage??��

Yeah, all down his pant leg. It wafted. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,601 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Figured Rumours would be up around the business end. The Fleetwood Mac Revival is well established at this point and I've yet to meet someone who doesn't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

I told you Ten would make an appearance.

1st 93 Pts

Nirvana
    Nevermind (1991)

Chart Peak Ireland /UK/ USA: 1/7/1
    Singles: Come As You Are, In Bloom, Smells Like Teen Spirit, Lithium
    Nominated by Reberetta, speckle, BPKS, adrian522, Sawduck, Hesh's Umpire, bubblypop, Yossar1an22, Bonniesituation

"It was summertime in Seattle, and our record TEN :)was coming out in about a week. There were a few copies of Nevermind floating around on cassette before the record was out, and I remember hearing it on a Walkman, walking by myself on a rare nice day when the clouds broke for the first time in months. Just hearing that tape with the white label, it had an impact. It felt like a change. I remember in April, there were a bunch of people outside this place called the O.K. Hotel. I went up — I knew the guy who poured coffee there — and I was able to go in and see one of the first shows they played for the record. Later that summer, Fugazi were playing in the Mojave Desert. We drove in this little Toyota with Nevermind playing. You could just listen to that thing on repeat, it never dipped."

-Eddie Vedder
    Kurt Cobain's aim for Nevermind was to sound like "The Knack and the Bay City Rollers getting molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath".

The songs were influenced by bands such as the Melvins, R.E.M., the Smithereens, and the Pixies. He fashioned chord sequences using power chords and combined pop hooks with dissonant guitar riffs. Many of the songs on Nevermind feature shifts in dynamics, where the band changes from quiet verses to loud choruses.

On Nevermind, Cobain played a 1960s Fender Mustang, a Fender Jaguar with DiMarzio pickups, and a few Fender Stratocasters with humbucker bridge pickups. The guitarist used distortion and chorus pedals as his main effects, the latter used to generate a "watery" sound on "Come as You Are" and the pre-choruses of "Smells Like Teen Spirit".

Charles R. Cross asserted in his 2001 biography of Cobain, Heavier Than Heaven, that many of the songs written for Nevermind were about Cobain's dysfunctional relationship with Bikini Kill's Tobi Vail.

After their relationship ended, Cobain began writing and painting violent scenes.  Cross wrote, "In the four months following their break-up, Kurt would write a half dozen of his most memorable songs, all of them about Tobi Vail." "Drain You" begins with the line, "One baby to another said 'I'm lucky to have met you,'" quoting what Vail had once told Cobain, and the line "It is now my duty to completely drain you" refers to the power Vail had over Cobain in their relationship.

According to bassist Krist Novoselic, "'Lounge Act' is about Tobi," and the song contains the line "I'll arrest myself, I'll wear a shield," referring to Cobain having the K Records logo tattooed on his arm to impress Vail.

Though "Lithium" had been written before Cobain knew Vail, the lyrics of the song were changed to reference her.

Select compared the band to Jane's Addiction, Sonic Youth, and the Pixies, stating that the album "proves that Nirvana truly belong in such high company."

Nevermind was voted as the best album of the year in The Village Voice Pazz & Jop critics' poll. Nevermind topped the poll by a large majority, and Village Voice critic Robert Christgau wrote in his companion piece to the poll, "As a modest pop surprise they might have scored a modest victory, like De La Soul in 1990. Instead, their multi-platinum takeover constituted the first full-scale public validation of the Amerindie values—the noise, the toons, the 'tude."

Some of the reviews were not entirely positive. Rolling Stone originally gave the album three out of five stars. Reviewer Ira Robbins wrote, "If Nirvana isn't onto anything altogether new, Nevermind does possess the songs, character and confident spirit to be much more than a reformulation of college radio's high-octane hits."

The Boston Globe was less enthusiastic about the album; reviewer Steve Morse wrote, "Most of Nevermind is packed with generic punk-pop that had been done by countless acts from Iggy Pop to the Red Hot Chili Peppers," and added "the band has little or nothing to say, settling for moronic ramblings by singer-lyricist Cobain."

Michael Azerrad argued in his Nirvana biography Come as You Are: The Story of Nirvana (1993) that Nevermind marked an epochal generational shift in music similar to the rock-and-roll explosion in the 1950s and the end of the baby boomer generation's dominance of the musical landscape. Azerrad wrote,

"Nevermind came along at exactly the right time. This was music by, for, and about a whole new group of young people who had been overlooked, ignored, or condescended to."

Nevermind popularized the Seattle grunge movement and brought alternative rock as a whole into the mainstream, establishing its commercial and cultural viability. Its success surprised Nirvana's contemporaries, who felt dwarfed by its impact.

Fugazi frontman Guy Picciotto later said: "It was like our record could have been a hobo pissing in the forest for the amount of impact it had ... It felt like we were playing ukuleles all of a sudden because of the disparity of the impact of what they did."

Gary Gersh, who signed Nirvana to Geffen Records, added that "There is a pre-Nirvana and post-Nirvana record business...'Nevermind' showed that this wasn't some alternative thing happening off in a corner, and then back to reality. This is reality."

Nevermind has sold over 30 million copies worldwide, making it one of the best-selling albums of all time.

In 2005, the Library of Congress added Nevermind to the National Recording Registry, which collects "culturally, historically or aesthetically important" sound recordings from the 20th century. On the other hand, Nevermind was voted the "Most Overrated Album in the World" in a 2005 BBC public poll.

Ten things you didn't know about the album.

The stories behind every song.

Touchstones: an appreciation of Nevermind

Twenty musicians reflect on Nevermind.

Producer Butch Vig reflects on Nevermind:
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/nirvana-producer-reflects-nevermind-kurt-cobain-238007

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/7518852/nirvana-nevermind-kurt-cobain-interview-butch-vig-25-anniversary-dave-grohl

Jon Stewart, Krist Novoselic, Dave Grohl & Butch Vig on Nevermind:

That's it folks! Thanks for playing along.

Plenty to read and listen to in this thread if you like music and ever get the time!

Full list and stats coming up later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,288 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Reberetta wrote: »
    2nd  74 Pts

Fleetwood Mac
    Rumours

"Trauma, Trau-ma. The sessions were like a cocktail party every night—people everywhere. We ended up staying in these weird hospital rooms ... and of course John and me were not exactly the best of

“By the time we got to Rumours, the emotional rollercoaster was in full motion and we were all in a ditch. Everybody knew everything about everybody and I was definitely piggy-in-the-middle.But my best friend was also having an affair with my wife and it was all weird and twisted. It was a total mess and that’s how we made the album. "

Everybody was weirded out: The story of Rumours.

Thank you, I've another idea for Hollywould ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I may not have nominated them but I did buy Numbers 1 and 2. Both are iconic albums in their own ways with some great tunes. Nevermind is nearly worth it alone for the brilliant anthemic Smells Like Teen Spirit.

Thanks Reberetta - great work and very enjoyable to watch it unfold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Can't complain about Nevermind taking home 1st place. Iconic album and the only reason I omitted it from my Top 10 because I never had any doubt many others would have it on their own lists.

Fair play Reberetta. Great reveal and fair play on all the work you put in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,870 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Thanks Reberetta, it only took 7 and a half months but we got there :D

No Pearl Jam fans on boards apparently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

ShaneU wrote: »
    No Pearl Jam fans on boards apparently

Don't let lassykk hear you say that... ;)

I prefer In Utero but there's not much wrong with Nevermind. I probably love Nirvana now more than I did when I was a teenager. There's a genuine rawness to it all which makes them resonate with me much more than their contemporaries. The 90's was supposedly defined by irony and the real irony is the ultimate musical icon from that decade was actually painfully sincere. That punk energy makes their songs always exciting to listen to. And unbelievable songwriting skills. The music never gets old, no matter how many times I hear it.

Reberetta wrote: »
    I told you Ten would make an appearance.

1st 93 Pts

Nirvana
    Nevermind (1991)

Chart Peak Ireland /UK/ USA: 1/7/1
    Singles: Come As You Are, In Bloom, Smells Like Teen Spirit, Lithium
    Nominated by Reberetta, speckle, BPKS, adrian522, Sawduck, Hesh's Umpire, bubblypop, Yossar1an22, Bonniesituation

"It was summertime in Seattle, and our record TEN :)was coming out in about a week. There were a few copies of Nevermind floating around on cassette before the record was out, and I remember hearing it on a Walkman, walking by myself on a rare nice day when the clouds broke for the first time in months. Just hearing that tape with the white label, it had an impact. It felt like a change. I remember in April, there were a bunch of people outside this place called the O.K. Hotel. I went up — I knew the guy who poured coffee there — and I was able to go in and see one of the first shows they played for the record. Later that summer, Fugazi were playing in the Mojave Desert. We drove in this little Toyota with Nevermind playing. You could just listen to that thing on repeat, it never dipped."

-Eddie Vedder

Ten things you didn't know about the album.

The stories behind every song.

Touchstones: an appreciation of Nevermind

Twenty musicians reflect on Nevermind.

Producer Butch Vig reflects on Nevermind:
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/nirvana-producer-reflects-nevermind-kurt-cobain-238007

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/7518852/nirvana-nevermind-kurt-cobain-interview-butch-vig-25-anniversary-dave-grohl

Jon Stewart, Krist Novoselic, Dave Grohl & Butch Vig on Nevermind:

That's it folks! Thanks for playing along.

Plenty to read and listen to in this thread if you like music and ever get the time!

Full list and stats coming up later.

There's so much that has been said over and over about this album, but I'll just come to say, In Bloom, Drain You and On A Plain are three of the greatest moments of my teens. Still go back and drift straight to them all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,870 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

The drummer from Garbage produced Nevermind. Now this is the kind of random music fact I like

I have a slight preference for In Utero but Nevermind is a serious trip. I went to a lot of house parties in late 1991 / early 1992 and it was played at every single of them. It really caught on with the youth (I was 19 in 1991).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,369 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Thanks Rebe, awesome reveal and great write ups.

A great winner no doubt but I do think nirvana are over rated around these parts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Now I shall reveal my nominations which I gave clues for last night... in order from Number 1 to Number 10 - slightly rearranged.
    Okay - here are some hints... or am I throwing in some red herrings??

An iconic album from the 1970s that is often mentioned by music critics.
    Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd

Atmospheric, moody album from a Scottish outfit.
    A Walk Across the Rooftops - The Blue Nile

An album involving: a well-known guitarist from an iconic 1980s band, and a singer/musician from a well-known band that came out of another band after the demise of its singer
    Electronic - Electronic

Prog-rock album featuring singer with a high falsetto, vocal harmonies and some church organ
    Going for The One - Yes

The ultimate introspective flat-dwelling album from New York's unique singer/songwriter
    Suzanne Vega - Suzanne Vega

The last album to fully feature the original classic four lineup of this popular in the' 70s group.
    How Dare You! - 10cc

Raw exciting debut album of then teenagers before they conquered the world.
    Boy - U2

First solo album from introspective singer who bears a slight resemblance to a well-known comedian and presenter.
    Lloyd Cole - Lloyd Cole

The second magnum opus for a band who sometimes are compared musically to a well-known world conquering band, but this one has its own charismatic singer.
    A Rush of Blood to the Head - Coldplay

Second album by an original singer who does their own choreography to their songs when performed.
    Lionheart - Kate Bush

Dark Side of the Moon was my only nomination that featured in the Top 50. However, quite a number of other albums from my collection did feature so I am quite happy about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I'd say I haven't listened to Nevernind in the past 25 years.

Some albums from that era I have very little interest in revisiting.

Arghus wrote: »
    I prefer In Utero but there's not much wrong with Nevermind. I probably love Nirvana now more than I did when I was a teenager. There's a genuine rawness to it all which makes them resonate with me much more than their contemporaries. The 90's was supposedly defined by irony and the real irony is the ultimate musical icon from that decade was actually painfully sincere. That punk energy makes their songs always exciting to listen to. And unbelievable songwriting skills. The music never gets old, no matter how many times I hear it.

In Utero is fantastic but it falls down because it was not as revolutionary as Nevermind was at the time of its release.

---

"You Know You're Right" is the ultimate what might have been for me.

Not a surprising winner. On a personal level I find it a bit overrated but it's impossible to deny how influential it was. "Come As You Are" will probably always be my favourite on Nevermind, though I also really have a soft spot for "Breed" and "Something In The Way" as well. The only song I'd say I'm really not keen on is "Drain You" but it's been so long since I've actually listened to Nevermind I owe all of the songs on it a fresh listen.

My personal favourite Nirvana song is "Dive". "You Know You're Right" would be up there too.

Many thanks for running Reberetta, and thanks to everyone who took part. Very interesting to see everyone's picks, I now have renewed motivation to finally check out lots of 'classic' albums I've never listened to before.
    Do you not find some of their lyrics a bit repetitive and more of the same with each succeeding track?

Each to their own I guess.

Tbf Funeral (and The Suburbs, for that matter) is a concept album. Lyrical similarity exists because the songs are meant to revolve around a unifying theme - otherwise wouldn't be much of a concept album!
    Never has a band caused me so much anger with frustration while listening to them. I hate them. They're the only band on Spotify that I have "DISLIKED" so that they stop putting them on playlists and suggestions.

It should be noted, that I am very aware that this is OTT and irrational, but they just do something to me that makes me seethe.

Ah well, your loss! :p Surprised they evoke such a visceral reaction in anyone though, I'd have thought the worst thing anyone could say about Beach House was that they found them a bit dull (they'd be wrong, obviously! :pac: )

• Advertisement

Surprising omissions:

Abbey Road
    Kid A
    In Utero
    Wish You Were Here

Not a bad number 1 in fairness- dying to see the stats and the albums that didn’t make the top 50- well done Reberetta- a mammoth task exquisitely executed

Yes, well done Reberreta. Fantastic stuff.

Tbf Funeral (and The Suburbs, for that matter) is a concept album. Lyrical similarity exists because the songs are meant to revolve around a unifying theme - otherwise wouldn't be much of a concept album!

I'm not solely talking about those albums, I mean in general I find their albums as a whole meh, with a couple of gems.

"... the Kids..." - Win Butler, The Suburbs.
    Ah well, your loss! :p Surprised they evoke such a visceral reaction in anyone though, I'd have thought the worst thing anyone could say about Beach House was that they found them a bit dull (they'd be wrong, obviously! :pac: )
    As I said, it's so irrational and OTT and I am well aware of it. I have no idea what triggered it.

The funny thing is that in theory, I should love Beach House, but for some reason they have just gotten under my skin. It's actually bizarre!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭lassykk

I'm heartbroken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The Crazy Cat Lady

fair play for running reb :)

This was my list:

1-Hozier-wasteland, baby!
    2-James bay-electric light
    3-beck-guero
    4-bloc party-a weekend in the city
    5 sia-this is acting
    6-imagine dragons-smoke +mirrors
    7-elbow-the seldom seem kid
    8-daughty-baptized
    9 lianne la havis-is your love big enough?
    10-lawson-chapman square

Surprising omissions:

Abbey Road
    Kid A
    In Utero
    Wish You Were Here

Only so many Beatles albums could have got through- I’m assuming most didn’t nominate multiple albums from the same band?
    Wish you were here is not DSOTM- it’s a great album but doesn’t deserve top 50 status- unless of course we can ask for a recount for the Duran Duran nomination? :D

Surprising omissions:

Abbey Road
    Kid A
    In Utero
    Wish You Were Here

also
    Mellon Collie & The Infinite Sadness
    Never Mind The Bollocks
    Is This It

Here’s mine: