Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COUNTDOWN: Top 50 Music Albums Of All-Time.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Bruce is Boss, end of :p

Everyone has different tastes

Agreed, I am only on the wind up tbh. I actually get goose bumps when I listen to the live version of the " River". When the harmonica kicks in I think everyone melts a little.

I love your efforts, I really do :D

I’ll listen to Rio if you promise to listen to one of my list you haven’t heard before

What's on your list? I promise I will listen to it.

I know - I bought records back then by all of the artists you listed; but it got very tribal if you threw a pop album on the counter. I was happy enough to buy what I liked but others were a lot more careful about upholding an image.

Agree re U2; the begrudgery even then was off the scale. Simple Minds were respected initially (up to New Gold Dream) but by 1989's Street Fighting Years were seen as pompous stadium rockers and some people still dismiss them totally because of that.

There were a few male Duran Duran fans in my hometown. Two in particular were massive Japan / David Sylvian heads as well and did their utmost to carry off that look.

And speaking of tribal, let’s not start on “Cure Heads”- I knew a few, quite depressing to talk to overall - maybe they found solace in heavy makeup and black clothing in the hot summers of 86-88 :D
    never understood them. But yeah, boundaries were set based on music preference or at least it was one factor. Good times though.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    What's on your list? I promise I will listen to it.

Here it is:

1. Dark Side of the Moon- Pink Floyd
    2. Blood on the Tracks- Bob Dylan
    3. Rumours- Fleetwood Mac
    4. Kind of Blue- Miles Davis
    5. Beatles - Sergeant Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band
    6. Neil Young Harvest
    7. Rolling Stones- Let it Bleed
    8. Stevie Wonder- Songs in the Key of Life
    9. Jimi Hendrix Experience- Electric Ladyland
    10. Talking Heads- Speaking in Tongues

Now considering I lived the 80s I know a lot of songs in Rio as they were played to death along with the videos they made- but I’ll listen to it in its entirety over coming days- I actually liked Save a Prayer when it issued- it was very different but the image they cultivated was aimed clearly at the female teenage market- kindof the female equivalent of the Yorkie bar- not for boys :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Reberetta wrote: »
    Acts with the most different albums nominated:

65daysofstatic (same person)  (Did not make top 50)
    Turns out I did break my one band one album rule after all :p
    I should have included In Rainbows as well, for shame

• Advertisement

Here it is:

6. Neil Young Harvest

Now considering I lived the 80s I know a lot of songs in Rio as they were played to death along with the videos they made- but I’ll listen to it in its entirety over coming days- I actually liked Save a Prayer when it issued- it was very different but the image they cultivated was aimed clearly at the female teenage market- kindof the female equivalent of the Yorkie bar- not for boys :P

Out on the Weekend has to be one of my favourite pieces from Neil Young. I definitely listened to a cover version ( of the entire Harvest album ) from an ensemble group of artists before, loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Here it is:

6. Neil Young Harvest

I think you are right about the image at the time and the target audience. I know many people that revisited Duran Duran later on. I think they earned some new fans with the 1992's Wedding Album and people were able to disassociate the music from the image and enjoy the value of music.

From your list, I already have 5 of them:
    Fleetwood Mac
    Miles Davis
    Beatles
    Rolling Stones
    Talking Heads (really like this album).

From the other 5, I would definitely give a listen to Stevie Wonder.
    The other 4 are artists that I don't get at all, Pink Floyd especially.

Irish Aris wrote: »
    I think you are right about the image at the time and the target audience. I know many people that revisited Duran Duran later on. I think they earned some new fans with the 1992's Wedding Album and people were able to disassociate the music from the image and enjoy the value of music.

From your list, I already have 5 of them:
    Fleetwood Mac
    Miles Davis
    Beatles
    Rolling Stones
    Talking Heads (really like this album).

From the other 5, I would definitely give a listen to Stevie Wonder.
    The other 4 are artists that I don't get at all, Pink Floyd especially.

Speaking of teenage girl image and U turns, George Michaels Listen Without Prejudice vol 1 was a great album- it took me a long time to admit that but fair play to him.

Floyd are very much Marmite - an oft used word to criticise them is “navel gazing” and “self indulgent” - and I absolutely agree with that criticism but I also think they’re brilliant - Stevie Wonder started so young that he’s been around forever -,saw him in concert and he’s just electric- Dylan I guess is another of those decisive artists -Blood on the Tracks is known as a breakup album, written as he was separating from his partner- some of his later albums like Love and Theft and Time out of Mind are classics, but of course only if you’re a fan

• Registered Users Posts: 86,701 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I am more than delighted you are having a laugh about that, I mean that.

But you should give it a listen. Simon Le Bon has one of the greatest voices out there, a massive range, not unlike Buckley, Bono or Thom Yorke for range.

Also the album epitomises for me the pop crossover. Without this album there is no Spandau Ballet, Tears for Fears, Simple Minds etc etc etc .

I mean I can't stop crying when I hear "Save a Prayer"..... that song really moves me. I dare you to turn on "Hungry like a Wolf" and not feel the energy. Duran Duran may not be cool enough for school, but they are an underrated and disrespected band. They rocked the 80's.

They had style and grace. Even Peter Gabriel was an avid fan.

But Bruce Phucking Springers , I mean please ....

I did enjoy this gleeful cover ;)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

One-time nominated albums at number one:

Travelling Wilburys Vol 1
    65daysofstatic Escape from New York
    The Sex Pistols Nevermind the Bollocks, Here's The Sex Pistols
    The B-52's Cosmic Thing
    Manic Street Preachers Generation Terrorists
    Hozier Wasteland, Baby!
    McCartney and Wings  Band on The Run
    Dan Fogelberg Netherlands
    Pearl Jam  Ten
    Elliott Smith From A Basement On The Hill
    The La's The La's
    Ramones Ramones
    Sting Ten Summoner's Tales
    Adele  19
    Fleetwood Mac  Tusk
    Wire Pink Flag

Possible addition to the list - my no. 1 album was Stop Making Sense, and I don't think anyone else nominated it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

In retrospect, observing the interest in this thread, I should have dragged the reveal out over a few days, but considering the seven and a half months of work/promotion in various forums it took- just to get 51 contributions- I thought people were generally indifferent to the idea.

Nevermind is the album that had the biggest impact on my life and my favourite album for a long time so a fitting end. I think I was the only person to place it at number one.

I think it was a decent final 50, although I'm not familiar with many of those albums. I will have a listen to Funeral and In Rainbows for sure.

Thanks again to everyone who played.

In retrospect, observing the interest in this thread, I should have dragged the reveal out over a few days, but considering the seven and a half months of work/promotion in various forums it took- just to get 51 contributions- I thought people were generally indifferent to the idea.

Nevermind is the album that had the biggest impact on my life and my favourite album for a long time so a fitting end. I think I was the only person to place it at number one.

I think it was a decent final 50, although I'm not familiar with many of those albums. I will have a listen to Funeral and In Rainbows for sure.

Thanks again to everyone who played.

Fix fix fix :P
    Well done again very enjoyable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Has the scally who voted for the Fratelli's owned up yet??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Has the scally who voted for the Fratelli's owned up yet??

Their first album is great! Wasn't me who voted though. Someone picked the Ting Tings! :eek:

Hozier Wasteland, Baby!
    Not even Hozier's best album

Travelling Wilburys Vol 1
    Hell yeah, what an album

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭trashcan

Here's my top 20 of 1990, all records bought that year.

01 Pet Shop Boys - Behaviour
    02 Prefab Sprout - Jordan: The Comeback
    03 Angelo Badalamenti - Twin Peaks: Original Soundtrack
    04 Pixies - Bossanova
    05 George Michael - Listen Without Prejudice Volume 1
    06 Depeche Mode - Violator
    07 The LA's - The LA's
    08 Happy Mondays - Pills 'n' Thrills & Bellyaches
    09 The KLF - Chill Out
    10 Cocteau Twins - Heaven Or Las Vegas
    11 Ride - Nowhere
    12 Public Enemy - Fear Of A Black Planet
    13 His Name Is Alive - Livonia
    14 The Sundays - Reading, Writing & Arithmetic
    15 The Breeders - Pod
    16 Sonic Youth - Goo
    17 Into Paradise - Under The Water
    18 Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Ragged Glory
    19 A House - I Want Too Much
    20 James - Gold Mother

I did enjoy Cake but would put the above ahead of it:
    Others from that year I was into:
    Dusty Springfield - Reputation
    Teenage Fanclub - A Catholic Education
    Inspiral Carpets - Life
    Human League - Romantic?
    The Fall - Extricate
    The Charlatans - Some Friendly
    Soul II Soul - Volume 2: A New Decade
    Hothouse Flowers - Home
    Ultra Vivid Scene - Joy 1967-1990
    The High - Somewhere Soon
    Power Of Dreams- Immigrants, Emigrants & Me
    Pale Saints - The Comforts Of Madness
    Dead Can Dance - Aion
    Fatima Mansions - Viva Dead Ponies

Hmm. I think it's fair to say we have very different ideas on what constitutes good music. I like a few of the bands you listed, Prefab Sprout, the LA's, Pixies, A House, and especially Teenage Fanclub (Though I think they hadn't found their feet yet with A Catholic Education) No way would I put any of your list above Cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭BobbyMalone

04 Pixies - Bossanova

Bossanova (and Trompe Le Monde) rarely get any mentions, compared to the other two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Bossanova (and Trompe Le Monde) rarely get any mentions, compared to the other two.

The first side of Bossanova is my favourite side of any album. I saw them touring it at the National Stadium (30 years ago on Thursday). Unbelievable energy on both.

Trompe Le Monde is great too, just slightly runs out of steam on the second half - but much better than Doolittle and Come On Pilgrim. Surfer Rosa slightly better than Trompe but pales in comparison to the Bossanova juggernaut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The Crazy Cat Lady

ShaneU wrote: »
    Their first album is great! Wasn't me who voted though. Someone picked the Ting Tings! :eek:

Not even Hozier's best album

Hell yeah, what an album

That was me who picked the hozier album.

The first side of Bossanova is my favourite side of any album. I saw them touring it at the National Stadium (30 years ago on Thursday). Unbelievable energy on both.

Trompe Le Monde is great too, just slightly runs out of steam on the second half - but much better than Doolittle and Come On Pilgrim. Surfer Rosa slightly better than Trompe but pales in comparison to the Bossanova juggernaut.

Only got to see them after the reunion (I only just got into them in my early teens, maybe a month after they broke up). My order would be nearly the reverse of yours (Surfer Rosa, Trompe Le Monde, Come on Pilgrim, Doolittle, Bossanova) but love them all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Just revisited Bossanova as I rarely listen to it and I still find it somewhat underwhelming. It's definitely my least favourite, pre reunion, full length LP.

Rather that listening to an album in the Top 50 I chose one from a side conversation instead!

• Advertisement

S.M.B. wrote: »
    my least favourite, pre reunion, full length LP.

Important caveats!

I would also throw in that Frank Black's first two solo LPs are absolute gems, but I may be in the minority on that one.

There are a lot of 'meh' songs on Bossanova. "Velouria" and "Dig for Fire" are both great, and I'm also a fan of "Down to The Well" which is I think is one of their most underrated tunes. I've a soft spot for "The Happening", even though it's a bit overblown and silly (a sign to come of Frank Black's alien obsession). But otherwise I could take or leave most of Bossanova. It's not bad per se, just underwhelming.

Important caveats!

I would also throw in that Frank Black's first two solo LPs are absolute gems, but I may be in the minority on that one.

No - agree with that. Both very enjoyable albums. The 93-03 compilation is really solid too and a good overview.
    There are a lot of 'meh' songs on Bossanova. "Velouria" and "Dig for Fire" are both great, and I'm also a fan of "Down to The Well" which is I think is one of their most underrated tunes. I've a soft spot for "The Happening", even though it's a bit overblown and silly (a sign to come of Frank Black's alien obsession). But otherwise I could take or leave most of Bossanova. It's not bad per se, just underwhelming.

The whole sci-fi, surf aspect of Bossanova is what drew me in. The single version of Dig For Fire is my favourite Pixies song. It was included on Indie Top 20 Volume 11 as well. It's shorter and subtly different to the album version. Same for River Euphrates and Gigantic which were produced by Gil Norton whereas Steve Albini did the Surfer Rosa album versions.

Between the Bossanova and Trompe Le Monde B-sides plus a couple of covers from the era [from the Leonard Cohen tribute and Elektra 40th anniversary], you can make a neat compilation. I did one called Are You Looking For The Motherlode?

120446777_10164425027025089_1908228874533539532_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_sid=ca434c&_nc_ohc=0N8YsFBIjWAAX9ONGFe&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-1.fna&oh=2ebc983fa9477429d7f8db6023fd76e2&oe=5F994C48

• Registered Users Posts: 6,095 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I was surprised that Tom Petty's Full Moon Fever did not feature in any of the nominations. It certainly would have featured in my Top 30!

I was surprised that Tom Petty's Full Moon Fever did not feature in any of the nominations. It certainly would have featured in my Top 30!

That's a good album. Another one that reminds me of cramming for the Leaving Cert.
    What's also surprising is how badly the singles fared in the UK

I Won't Back Down #28
    Runnin' Down A Dream #55
    Free Fallin' #59
    A Face In The Crowd #93

• Registered Users Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I actually listened to Definitely Maybe for the first time in at least 20 years since this list was announced.

Recently I started logging and rating all albums I listen to (something I've being doing for years with moves) in order to get myself back into a habit of listening to entire albums as opposed to shuffling playlists in this era of streaming.

Both Definitely Maybe and Bossanova got a solid 7 out of 10.

I did one called Are You Looking For The Motherlode?

Some great songs there - generally, they did some great bsides. One of my favourite songs of theirs is a bside from Doolittle, Bailey's Walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

It was nominated. It's on the list. I've never listened to a Tom Petty record, might give Wildflowers a spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,095 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

It was nominated. It's on the list. I've never listened to a Tom Petty record, might give Wildflowers a spin.

Whoops! Missed that.

Now for a Top 100 Countdown...only kidding!! :D You deserve a rest after all that work.

• Advertisement

I considered it but other choices were hard to leave behind- but yeah if it was a top 30 list I’d probably include it- loved that album back in the day

Advertisement