Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

COUNTDOWN: Top 50 Music Albums Of All-Time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,579 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

lassykk wrote: »
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    Pearl Jam - Ten - Fingers Crossed!

Not sure beyond those too
    Oh yeah, forgot we'd had the hint on Ten!
    Thriller deserves it, but I guess people are less likely to vote for the artist now

Oh, Rumours could be in...

What do you think the top four are then?
    I can only think of two I'm expecting to see...

Rumours, Purple Rain,Blood on the Tracks, Tapestry,_ at least one of these will feature

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Thinking pearl, nirvana, maybe another Beatles, but that would only be a rumour.. A thrill might I might have missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I'm hoping Rumours will be in.

Rumours, Purple Rain,Blood on the Tracks, Tapestry,_ at least one of these will feature
    I reckon at most one ;)

Blood has been
    I'd be surprised to see Tapestry
    Not convinced Purple Rain will make it...

Me too would nice to up the amount of amazing female musicians/song writers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

speckle wrote: »
    declan, to follow on from last midnight last night regarding your list
    could that 70s band be a whisper from the Mac, then electronic, blue Nile, yes, then the teenagers could technically be 'boys' from Ireland, the new york bedsit person could be many different ones like eg Suzanne V or even laura N amongst many different males options. The choreographer could also be a few people the Bush being one?
    Eit: even an angel could be the choreographer?

The teenagers has to be the Stone Roses.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    The teenagers has to be the Stone Roses.
    I was thinking Boy by U2, they were about 19 maybe one was 20 when recording the album. I was thinking it was a more raw excited debut, even though Stones Roses where good too, had their Sally Cinnamon single til I gifted it! Still have some 'gold' coloured vinyl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭lassykk

I'm still hoping for a late surprise from Blink 182 ;)

I'm still hoping for a late surprise from Blink 182 ;)
    They're probably the one everyone thought was already guaranteed first, so left out ;)

• Advertisement

Arghus wrote: »
    I have a copy of Pet Sounds and I've tried, but it's never grabbed me. I can try again of course.
    I felt the same re Pet Sounds and likewise to yourself when re listening to MBV it no longer enveloped me as it used to do.

They're probably the one everyone thought was already guaranteed first, so left out ;)

Genuinely one of my favourite bands so I guess that shows my taste in music :D

I’m thinking there will be an album or two from the early to late 90s in the final 5- a lot of people seem to have been in college at that time who are posting here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Nevermind
    Rumours
    Kid A

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I have a copy of Pet Sounds and I've tried, but it's never grabbed me. I can try again of course.

Totally agree with you on Pet Sounds. There are some great individual songs on it, but as an album I really don't understand the hype. I must give it another go to see if my opinion had changed at all as it's been some time since I listened to it.

Nevermind
    Rumours
    Kid A

Surely not another radiohead album. Nothing against them but they surely can't have three in this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Surely not another radiohead album. Nothing against them but they surely can't have three in this!

They've already had 3. Another appearance would make 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Or Tusk, my #1 of all time

Any Fleetwood Mac album would be great. I went for one myself, but the big question is if anyone else also went for it.

• Advertisement

I reckon Blue Lines and the debut from Stone Roses.

Something else random.

Genuinely one of my favourite bands so I guess that shows my taste in music :D
    Just had a quick re listen to a couple of their tracks, always, small things, first date, Adams song and I miss you, now I remember .. it is the sound of the singers voice that I dislike. Good fun pop songs/videos and maybe slightly too simplistic lyrics for me. But each to their own as I'm sure some people will dislike some of the music that I listen too.

Just had a quick re listen to a couple of their tracks, always, small things, first date, Adams song and I miss you, now I remember .. it is the sound of the singers voice that I dislike. Good fun pop songs/videos and maybe slightly too simplistic lyrics for me. But each to their own as I'm sure some people will dislike some of the music that I listen too.

I was listening to their most famous songs on YouTube when I posted. I still listen to them regularly all these years later but so appreciate they aren't for most people

Yeah Tusk is great. I don't know if I'd even call it underrated anymore, there seems to be low key acknowledgement that it's great, sure they even brought out one of those 33 1/3rd books about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Reberetta wrote: »
    9th 56 pts

Alanis Morrissette
    Jagged Little Pill (1995)

Chart Peak Ireland /UK/ USA: 1/1/1
    Singles: "You Oughta Know, Hand in My Pocket, "Ironic", "You Learn", "Head over Feet", "All I Really Want"
    Nominated by speckle, Reberetta, Strawberry Milkshake, Jp Liz V1,Kolido

Thirteen musicians inspired by Jagged Little Pill.

Swallowing Jagged Little Pill at 25

The first CD I ever owned.

Still adore it an still holds up to this day.

"Forgiven" is the stand out for me. Then probably "Right Through You" and "Head Over Feet". Wonderful album.

Thinking that Declans 2nd album from a new york introspective artist could be Lou Reeds Transformer.... but then again what is an introspective song writer differs from person to person. ;)

• Advertisement

Pretty much sums up why I've never liked Blink182. Tom DeLonge's voice is like nails on a blackboard to me. I don't mind some nasal singing voices when the music is good enough (e.g. Billy Corgan) but DeLonge is just too much to deal with.

Mark Hoppus's voice isn't too bad, if he sang more and if they did a bit more of the more serious/downbeat stuff I'd probably like them more....but then I guess they'd be a very different band and lose their fans who enjoy the pop-punky stuff!

Yeah Tusk is great. I don't know if I'd even call it underrated anymore, there seems to be low key acknowledgement that it's great, sure they even brought out one of those 33 1/3rd books about it.

And Camper Van Beethoven covered it in full - which is a great listen.

Sometimes record labels and musicians make strange decisions; not realizing the talent or hits they have on their hands, or recording songs in such a way as they don't really resonate, only to be covered later in a different style and launched into the public consciousness like an arrow hitting the bullseye.

Dave Grohl thought Lithium would be the big hit from Nevermind. Billy Corgan makes a lot of weird decisions; I think of him omitting Let Me Give The World To You from Adore, although he had his reasons, in my opinion it would have been the best song on the record.

The Four Tops thought Reach Out (I'll Be There) was a throwaway track.

Then I think of covers which have rocketed low-key, unheralded songs into the stratosphere; It Must Be Love by Madness, Without You by Harry Nilsson.

It's all so subjective and a lot to do with luck.

I love those near misses.

My particular favourites being "Call Me" turned down by Stevie Nicks, "Umbrella" being turned down by Britney Spears and "Toxic" being turned down by Kylie Minogue.

Amazing.

Mark Hoppus's voice isn't too bad, if he sang more and if they did a bit more of the more serious/downbeat stuff I'd probably like them more....but then I guess they'd be a very different band and lose their fans who enjoy the pop-punky stuff!

Thanks, that makes sense to me, one of the songs I listened too, the voice sounded somewhat better, that must have been Hoppus. Nasal voices not my cuppa tea too, we can't all be blessed, some days I sound like a crow. Ah, well at least the music is energetic and they play their instruments, so it is probably perfect for some people as they seem to sing about those usual universal teenage themes, which make you feel not alone.

8th 59 pts

Radiohead
    Ok Computer (1997)
    Playlist.
    Chart Peak Ireland /UK/ USA: 2/1/21
    Singles: Paranoid Android, No Surprises. Karma Police, Lucky
    Nominated by splashthecash, adrian522, NapoleonInRags, Paddythere, Electric Nitwit

"Radiohead have made so many important records, but the emotional complexity of OK Computer is hard to equal. “Exit Music (for a Film)” is like going over a sonic waterfall in a barrel. “Karma Police” is so ecstatically sad, “No Surprises” so warmly unsettling (with one of the greatest music videos ever). It’s futile trying to find another record that can do all that. There is only one OK Computer."

-Cillian Murphy, actor, musician.

OK Computer: an oral history.

The whispered warnings of Ok Computer have come true.

Artists reflect on OK Computer.
    What more needs to be said about the album that hasn't been said already.

It's glorious from start to finish.

My musical youth will always be intertwined by the "Karma Police" and "Firestarter" videos.

• Advertisement

Any chance Let It Be will surprise us all? Definitely the most undervalued Beatles album. The Replacements' LP of the same name is brilliant too.

I think everything that can be said about OK Computer has been said, but I still remember the sheer visceral thrill of the first time I heard it in full.

I was already a massive Radiohead fan. I was sitting my A levels, I was almost late for an exam as I went via the shop to pick it up. I dashed home after the exam and just listened over and over, it blew me away. I knew from Paranoid Android and Lucky to be expecting much more than The Bends v2.0 but there's so much going on in OKC, it was overwhelming. From the beautiful delicacy of Exit Music to the frontal assaults of Airbag and Electioneering, and the almost terror inducing Climbing Up The Walls. Still to this day I couldn't tell you my favourite track from the album, I could maybe narrow it down to about ten!

I think I'm lucky that I was the perfect age for it, it came at the perfect time for me. It marked the culmination of the 90s for me. In many ways it was the end of Britpop which, as fun as it had been, was probably a good thing

The Brixton show of that tour is still possibly the best live show I've ever been at

Glastonbury 2017 is a show that will love long in the memory for me. Like that fabled Brixton show, it was just a pleasure and privilege to be there.

My particular favourites being "Call Me" turned down by Stevie Nicks, "Umbrella" being turned down by Britney Spears and "Toxic" being turned down by Kylie Minogue.

Amazing.

Yes, it is intriguing, would love to know the exact reasoning, but may have ultimately been the right decisions, would love to hear the above being sung by those who turned them down, firstly as a straight cover and then with their own interpretation.:D

Yes, it is intriguing, would love to know the exact reasoning, but may have ultimately been the right decisions, would love to hear the above being sung by those who turned them down, firstly as a straight cover and then with their own interpretation.:D

Umbrella was definitely taken by the right artist.

I can totally see Toxic working well for Kylie. As it's a piece of pop genius that I love and adore I'm very glad that Britney worked her magic on it.

I would love to hear Stevie sing Call Me.

Then I think of covers which have rocketed low-key, unheralded songs into the stratosphere; It Must Be Love by Madness, Without You by Harry Nilsson.

It's all so subjective and a lot to do with luck.

Also Cyndi Lauper's take on Girls Just Wanna Have Fun, a female anthem which was written and originally performed by a man (Robert Hazard) in 1979.

Thanks, that makes sense to me, one of the songs I listened too, the voice sounded somewhat better, that must have been Hoppus. Nasal voices not my cuppa tea too, we can't all be blessed, some days I sound like a crow. Ah, well at least the music is energetic and they play their instruments, so it is probably perfect for some people as they seem to sing about those usual universal teenage themes, which make you feel not alone.

Can't get past that nasal twang that accompanies 95% of pop punk. Instant turn off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Fever Ray's vocals (and music- but moreso vocals) on that cover are reminiscent of Bjork. I don't like the original song and thus, the cover version doesn't move me either.

I do like the song Keep The Streets Empty by Fever Ray.

P.S. Top ten coming up at 1pm folks.

That First Aid Kit cover is terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Are we all old farts on this thread? (Me included)- surprised myself there weren’t more

The choices do point towards old farts ;)

Amazing.

Never knew that about "Call Me", I'm sure Stevie would have done a great job but I think it is more suited to Blondie given it's a fun, flirty song. Stevie might have been a bit too "serious" for it!

"Umbrella" is a good tune but I'm not a fan of either Rihanna's voice (nasal) or Britney's (weak). Trying to think of someone who would have done a good job with it, I reckon Kelis might have been a good shout.

Speaking of Britney, "Baby One More Time" was originally offered to TLC but they turned it down for "No Scrubs" (which tbf is a better song!). I'd say TLC would have made a good job of it though, can definitely imagine T-Boz doing the verses and Chilli doing the chorus.

Can't get past that nasal twang that accompanies 95% of pop punk. Instant turn off.
    Very hard to listen to an artist or a band if the voice grates on you. I prefer richer deeper lower non nasally male voices in the main. Even Bowie sounds better on some track than others, Female artists/vocalists... I tend to look for rich type of a non nasal voice too, as long as they are not shrill. But the one thing I cant stand is female voices that add to much extra notes for the sake of it in a phrase. That being said always exceptions to the rule. And I will add to much screaming unless it adds something in particular to a song!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,947 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

So it's obvious none of my albums will be appearing here :pac:

I just picked my personal favourites that I've listened to the most rather than the all-time greats which make up this list. 9 of them were released since 2000 and are pretty much all alternative/indie albums, the other was released in the 90's but originally recorded in the 70's. You all get ten guesses each

What is with the faffing around?

I have cans to be opening, it is touching Sunday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

Internet went down. Top 4 coming up shortly.

McGaggs wrote: »
    The choices do point towards old farts ;)

I like to keep up with what's current, but I'd be hard pressed to list any album from the last ten years that I'd put on par with the classics.

To be honest I thought the top 50 would be worse. Last time they did a best musical artist of all time Dire Straits got to the Semis and Springsteen got to the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

4th 69 pts

Stone Roses
    Stone Roses (1989)

Playlist.

Chart Peak Ireland /UK/ USA: 3/5/86
    Singles: "Elephant Stone", "Made of Stone", "She Bangs the Drums" "Fools Gold", "I Wanna Be Adored","Waterfall", "I Am the Resurrection"
    Nominated by IAMAMORON, BPKS, Hesh's Umpire, bubblypop, Rothko

“Without that, there would have not been Oasis. I don’t think Liam would have bothered joining Bonehead’s group, and subsequently I wouldn’t have bothered joining Liam’s group. They opened the door for us. When I heard their song ‘Sally Cinnamon’ for the first time, I knew what my destiny was.”

-Noel Gallagher
    With a guitar driven sound and Ian Brown’s very British vocals, it’s an obvious touchstone for the Brit-pop movement of the 1990s, while it also suggested musical possibilities by backing guitar pop with dance beats, notably on the bonus track ‘Fools Gold’. There’s a brash confidence that underlines the album’s significance even further; it’s difficult to think of a bolder song title than ‘I Am The Resurrection’.

If there’s a criticism of The Stone Roses, perhaps the arrangements are too homogeneous and the running times could use a trim. Despite the limited sound palette, there is some studio experimentation, notably ‘Don’t Stop’, which contains most of the music elements from ‘Waterfall’ reversed. ‘Elizabeth My Dear’ is a brief acoustic snippet of folk chestnut ‘Scarborough Fair’, with anti-royal lyrics.

In the opinion of Spin critic Andrew Unterberger, it sounded  like "an exercise in rock classicism", featuring accessible melodies like those of the Beatles and resonant guitars similar to the Byrds, along with "the cheeky (and quintessentially British) humor of the Smiths" and "the self-fulfilling arrogance of the Sex Pistols".

American music journalist Jim DeRogatis felt The Stone Roses had been highly overrated by critics, pointing to a "lame retread disco beat" and "oh-so-dated chiming guitars", while Neil Kulkarni from The Quietus said its first three songs were enjoyable but preceded a "right barrel-load of ****e afterwards".

In an article on overhyped records for The Guardian, Peter Robinson said that The Stone Roses was "an average rock album – lyrically pedestrian and with a sonic policy swerving from the play-safe to the over-indulgent".

After the record was voted the second-best ever in a UK public poll, Channel 4 broadcast a presentation of the results in which three of the presenters—musician Bob Geldof, critic Paul Gambaccini, and Elastica singer Justine Frischmann—were critical of the album's inclusion in the top 100 and attributed it to the generation of listeners who voted rather than the record's quality. Geldof claimed that the no. 2 placing was “ridiculous”, and asserted that the band are “just an OK group.”

Regardless, the Stone Roses wanted to be adored, and their debut LP, one that sparked a musical revolution across the U.K., was more than worthy of the numinous adoration that followed.

Thirty facts about the album.

Thirty years on, the Stone Roses debut stills shines.

Secrets behind the album cover.

In the autumn of 1988, the Stone Roses played a show at the University of Ulster in Coleraine, Northern Ireland. While details of the actual date remain obscure, Squire told Select magazine in 1997 that the band took time out for a quick trip to see the Giant’s Causeway.

This stretch of volcanic rock lies on the coast of Northern Ireland in County Antrim and is formed of over 40,000 interlocking columns of stone.

Squire explained that the deep green colour that forms the background of the cover painting “was based on the colour of the water and the foam at the Giant’s Causeway”.

ShaneU wrote: »
    So it's obvious none of my albums will be appearing here :pac:

I just picked my personal favourites that I've listened to the most rather than the all-time greats which make up this list. 9 of them were released since 2000 and are pretty much all alternative/indie albums, the other was released in the 90's but originally recorded in the 70's. You all get ten guesses each

Franz ferdinand/the killers/interpol/Arcade fire/belle and sebastian/the strokes/vampire weekend/yo la tengo/fleet foxes/Artic monkeys/the national... not good with album names, any of the above? I wonder did arcade fire get anywhere album wise here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

So far, one of my nominations has come up - Dark Side of The Moon by Pink Floyd. That was the clue I gave yesterday about the iconic album from the '70s and music critics. I bought Stone Roses by Stones Roses. It has a few cracking tunes but some dross as well. I taped some of Revolver by The Beatles.

trashcan wrote: »
    I have literally never heard of any of these ( unless SFA is Super Furry Animals ? - have one album by them, Guerilla. Northern Lites is a fine song.) Is this what the young pups are listening to these days ?

Vitalic is a French electro house and techno DJ. As influential as The Prodigy were in getting me into dance music, this guy turbocharged it. The album itself is flawless from start to finish. Not a drip of filler. I remember the day it came out so well. Went and bought it Tower on lunchtime so excitedly but ended up going out that night to a gig in the Lower Deck. Only got home about 2am, but couldn't resist sticking it on, put the headphones on and sat on my bedroom floor and listened to it from start to finish. I had never heard noises like it before. Still to this day it ranks in my all-time top-5.

Newman, La Rock 01 and Trahison are just superb pieces of music. The album has a bit of something for everyone.

If you like Boards of Canada, The Knife, Chris Clark, Jon Hopkins or even Crystal Castles you can find a thread in there that isn't too daunting or "hard".

---

Yeah, SFA are Super Furry Animals. Few bands in my life have had such a resounding effect on me. That I only plumped for Radiator was more down to the rule of "one per band" than it being so far ahead of others. I could have easily picked Guerilla (which has my favourite SFA song [and one of my favourite songs of all time "Northern Lites" on it]), Phantom Power or Fuzzy Logic and I would have been happy with the choice. They're just wonderful.

---

Faded Seaside Glamour is still a cracking debut with some wonderful summery sandy pop on it that I would implore anyone who hasn't to get stuck in. "Nearer than Heaven" and "Long Time Coming" are songs I have repeatedly come back to over the last 16 years since it was released. I remember buying it the same day that I got an NME 10th anniversary tribute to Kurt Cobain. Sobering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,947 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Franz ferdinand/the killers/interpol/Arcade fire/belle and sebastian/the strokes/vampire weekend/yo la tengo/fleet foxes/Artic monkeys/the national... not good with album names, any of the above? I wonder did arcade fire get anywhere album wise here?
    You got 5 :D well done

1. Arcade Fire - Funeral
    2. The Killers - Hot Fuss
    4. The Strokes - Is This It
    5. Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
    6. Arctic Monkeys - Whatever people say I am, That's what I'm not

• Advertisement

That's a big meh for The Stone Roses for me. Never has such a legendary bands reputation rested on so little.

Advertisement