Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIV-37,063 ROI (1,801 deaths) 12,886 NI (582 deaths) (02/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's a "put your coat on" from the Mammy, so annoying but so very familiar!

Which in my experience was regularly ignored by my son's when they were younger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Mixed news on pregnancy coming from Sweden.
    preeclampsia can be serious.
    SARS-CoV-2 test positivity in individuals in labor was associated with a higher prevalence of preeclampsia and lower prevalence of induction of labor. COVID-19 is primarily a respiratory infection but also has systemic effects that may resemble preeclampsia.3 The absence of an increased prevalence of preterm birth is concordant with results of 2 previous studies using comparators.4,5 The lack of difference in Apgar scores and birth weight for gestational age between groups is similar to that in a US study.4

In light of other accumulating data, it is already clear that COVID-19 is less severe in pregnancy than the 2 previous coronavirus infections: severe acute respiratory syndrome–related coronavirus (SARS) and Middle East respiratory syndrome–related coronavirus (MERS). Nevertheless, there are reports of pregnant persons requiring critical care, and there have been other reports of both mother and infant deaths in association with COVID-19.6

Strengths of this study include the universal testing, providing pregnancy comparators with negative test results. Limitations include uncertainty regarding generalizability to other countries with different obstetric care, timing of the RT-PCR test, and limited statistical power for rare outcomes and for a stratified analysis by symptoms.
    Eclampsia and preeclampsia account for approximately 63,000 maternal deaths annually worldwide. [31] In developed countries, the maternal death rate is reportedly 0-1.8%. The perinatal mortality rate from eclampsia in the United States and Great Britain ranges from 5.6% to 11.8%. The maternal mortality rate is as high as 14% in developing countries.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2771110?guestAccessKey=44baebf5-edc5-48cc-8cdf-a79fb7fd2b4a&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social_jama&utm_term=3738614192&utm_campaign=article_alert&linkId=100305730

527214.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭screamer

The Swedish model has led to a similar number of deaths per capita in those over 65 than the Irish model. Why do you think the Irish approach is better?

Sweden is so different to Ireland, lower population density, single occupancy houses and a population who follow the instructions of their government/ health experts.
    Now had we followed the Swedish models , and given that we are lacking in those vital parameters that Sweden have, I think our death toll would have been vastly inflated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Gruffalox wrote: »
    A good 95 % or more of people under 30 have never had Covid so how do you know?

Serological studies in every country show this.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yes, both made the same mistakes. So, how is the Irish approach better? We don't know how accurate any country's Covid death stats are but I don't see any evidence that Sweden has massively understated Covid deaths.
    There is no answer to that question, because we're still in it. I believe the Swedes recorded as COVID deaths those tested, we added suspected, hence the denotifications we get. That to me is more complete data.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The next ten days are critical.

As will be the ten days after that.

Every period of time will be critical until the situation fundamentally changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

Santy2015 wrote: »
    Come to the conclusion that there’s some serious idiots in this thread! !

What's XXIV, 24?

Which in my experience was regularly ignored by my son's when they were younger.
    True, but it still gets in there anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Santy2015 wrote: »
    Come to the conclusion that there’s some serious idiots in this thread! Anyway I’ll keep my positivity going. Cork had 21 cases today, staying in around that figure last week or so.
    We haven’t crossed the 400 mark in cases and they look stable.
    Hospital admissions are stable and seems they’re discharging at a slower rate.
    Only 14 people in hospital all of munster with 4 in icu!

Hospital numbers aren't staying stable.

They've been doubling every 14-15 days.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Glynn sounds fed up trying to be nice to the public. He’s been really hammering home the message about reducing contacts and his tone is completely different to before.

I don’t blame him to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Was that David "oh come look upon my works and weep" Quinn?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Arghus wrote: »

Hey hey, you gotta be careful, think of his positivity

Every period of time will be critical until the situation fundamentally changes.

Agreed. It is quite a tiring message. I can understand why people wish for zero covid. Not travel but live your life without worry of catching virus. Never going to happen, im resigned to that fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Last time I checked he's an opinion columnist as opposed to a news reporter. Not even sure why he's at these tbh

There is no answer to that question, because we're still in it. I believe the Swedes recorded as COVID deaths those tested, we added suspected, hence the denotifications we get. That to me is more complete data.

As things stand right now, Ireland is back to having severe restrictions and Sweden is doing ok. I agree we still don't know which approach is better, but we should be open to the possibility that Sweden have found a better way.

By the way, I thought Sweden were grossly irresponsible in going down this route back in March. But that does not mean we can't learn from where they are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Polar101 wrote: »
    They mentioned that the biggest risk in the spread of the disease is uncontrolled community transmission, which is pretty much what the Swedish lad was suggesting.

Because the "shield the vulnerable" isn't realistic in practice.

As we have seen young people aren't vulnerable, yet we are now meant to believe that they are gonna start dropping like flies despite there being no evidence that this will happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Go back and curtain twitch for yourself. Goodman

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

Yeah that's him.
    He was kind of snippy to them

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Pubs in Donegal might be best off cancelling future orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,415 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Faugheen wrote: »
    Glynn sounds fed up trying to be nice to the public. He’s been really hammering home the message about reducing contacts and his tone is completely different to before.

I think big fines are needed, if some clown with symptoms or awaiting test results doesn't self isolate and infects others a €5k fine should be issued.

• Advertisement

Mentally numbers like 7 and 10 days are relatively immediate and goals in those timeframes should be more easily achievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

To operate a strategy like that you would see more deaths, probably a lot, in all age groups, to reach herd immunity.

But we've seen almost zero deaths among young people so where is the evidence to back up this claim that young people are going to start dying in large numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

jackboy wrote: »
    The Swedish model is not letting the virus run rampant. There is social distancing in Sweden.

And a death rate per capita 40% more than here.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yeah that's him.
    He was kind of snippy to them

He was asking valid questions in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Dr Nolan's is proveably false. The mortality rate for those under 30 is close to zero.

But not zero.
    I'd be curious for someone to work out just how many would have to die/be hospitalized/need ICU for the swedish approach and how many years it would take.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    And a death rate per capita 40% more than here.

And, per capita, 40% more people aged over 65 than here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Zebra3 wrote: »
    As we have seen young people aren't vulnerable, yet we are now meant to believe that they are gonna start dropping like flies despite there being no evidence that this will happen?

Funny anecdote:
    Yeah I knew a guy who never looked when crossing the road. Always going on about how there is no evidence of him ever getting hit by a car then one day he got hit by a car.

He has since updated his assumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Faugheen wrote: »

Don't blame him either. He's dealing with an enormous number of f-tards who have identified themselves at the most perilous period for the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Everyone who wants the young to be exposed to Covid 19 should hand their children over to be infected.

• Advertisement

jackboy wrote: »
    The Swedish model is not letting the virus run rampant. There is social distancing in Sweden.

I suspect we have a much less healthy set of younger people with our numbers of cases of obesity, particularly in our sizeable working class. Sweden is very much an outdoorsy place where people of all ages are active and sporty.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement