Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXIV-37,063 ROI (1,801 deaths) 12,886 NI (582 deaths) (02/10) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Gradius wrote: »
    Not like North Korea that is laced with sanctions, no.

Movement of people in and out needs to stop.

North Korea minus the sanctions then? Where nothing and no-one at all gets in and out?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Thomas.. wrote: »
    I'm not getting something here

Why is there "consternation in government" that the recommendations are not being flagged in advance?

Does Nphet have to flag in advance that they are going to make new recommendations to the government in private, which the government then leaked?

Would be like ringing a friend to tell them you're going to ring them tomorrow

Not only that but then you would have people pissed off that NPHET have announced they are going to recommend new restrictions without saying what those restrictions are. Plus, I imagine NPHET decide new restrictions are needed and then decide what those restrictions are. Why would they split that decision making process up over a few days. Makes no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

If I was in Professor Nolans shoes i'd be starting the graphs back in November with huge community transmission to explain the instant sharp death rate in March.
    Instead the charts were presented with show it killed immediately once it arrived, that didn't happen, it's one of the biggest lies out there.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭Hooked

Should have used all the returning health staff and built a dedicated ICU hospital for covid patients.

That's what all this lockdown is about.

Instead they only hired 80 returning professionals after issuing a plea to all come home.

Yeah it woukd have probably cost a few billion but we already are 30 billion worst off and God knows how much more.

Useless dimwits the lot of them.

I quoted this so I could thank it TWICE!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

DeanAustin wrote: »
    North Korea minus the sanctions then? Where nothing and no-one at all gets in and out?

No reason whatsoever to restrict goods in or out.

Every reason to stop people coming and going willy nilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

929 positive swabs over past 48hrs

Presume error on tests, unless 1 completed is correct. 92,900% positivity rate

EDIT: 23,462 tests completed for a +ve rate of 3.95%

If anyone is interested in the breakdown:
    Saturday: 425 positive swabs, 11295 tests. + Rate = 3.76%
    Sunday: 503 positive swabs, 12166 tests. + Rate = 4.13%

Interested to see what Dublin's numbers are today. Only 100 positive cases in Dublin in yesterday's report.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Any leaks about what. was discussed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

quokula wrote: »
    I really don't see how staying close to home for a few weeks is such a hardship compared to the alternative. We did it once and the economic impact proved to be lower than expected.
    Because it was a one-off. Or at least that was the expectation.

Rolling lockdowns...might work if you schedule them. If people know that for the months of October, February & June you will be on lockdown.

Recommendations made out of the blue on a random Sunday night...won't work. Socially, economically, politically, healthwise, will be a disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,248 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

seamus wrote: »
    Because it was a one-off. Or at least that was the expectation.

Rolling lockdowns...might work if you schedule them.

Recommendations made out of the blue on a random Sunday night...won't work. Socially, economically, politically, healthwise, will be a disaster.

You can't really schedule them if they're a reaction to live and evolving numbers.

And it wasn't a recommendation out of the blue, it was after a meeting of NEPHET flagged well in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Gael23 wrote: »
    Any leaks about what. was discussed?

Give Leo a few minutes to get to a computer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Hurrache wrote: »
    You can't really schedule them if they're a reaction to live and evolving numbers.
    Of course you can't. Which is why a different sustainable approach is required.
    And it wasn't a recommendation out of the blue, it was after a meeting of NEPHET flagged well in advance.
    There was no indication on Thursday that such a drastic escalation was even likely, never mind imminent. That's what makes it out of the blue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Hooked wrote: »
    I quoted this so I could thank it TWICE!!!

Agreed. Its a good post. There should be a dedicated ICU hospital just for covid.

We currently appear to have about 50 beds for covid ICU patients with 20 already filled and no possibility it seems for more. I was reading that the surge ICU beds back in April were in operating theatres and these have been restored to normal service.

Rather than HSE/NPHET/government putting a plan in place if there was a repeat, they decided to gamble it wouldn't happen again and now have been caught out by a sudden rise in cases. There's minimal ICU headroom so they have to lockdown. And you can be sure NPHET will extend the lockdown in a months time for another month.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Eod100 wrote: »

Poor Tony is being shy lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Hmmm could be over 600 cases again today as only 364 announced yesterday

Generally the Monday numbers are the lowest of the week as they are from the weekend. Its usually Tuesday that has high numbers as they process a backlog. It could be up on 800 tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Video just released of Tony coming back to work yesterday

https://twitter.com/_FeachNews/status/1313051793937629186

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,248 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

seamus wrote: »
    There was no indication on Thursday that such a drastic escalation was even likely, never mind imminent. That's what makes it out of the blue.

I suppose if you were a pessimistic **** about the whole thing you'd have expected it, demanded it even.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

If I was in Professor Nolans shoes i'd be starting the graphs back in November with huge community transmission to explain the instant sharp death rate in March.
    Instead the charts were presented with show it killed immediately once it arrived, that didn't happen, it's one of the biggest lies out there.

Obviously it was spreading widely in early February maybe even January but seriously doubt it would have had no major impact 5 months after November with absolutely no restrictions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Minister communicating effectively in an adult manner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Roots 2020

I said this in jest early yesterday evening. I actually wasn't too far off the mark with Tony's attitude:D

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114818643&postcount=7244

Thought Cabinent weren't meeting until later? https://twitter.com/Philip_Ryan/status/1313127740736970753?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

They'll reject it today but we are heading towards level 5 anyway in the next week or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Sounds like they're going to cave. Or at they very least move the whole country up a level

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

Mwengwe wrote: »
    I didn't go near public transport the last time we were locked down but as someone who doesn't drive at all I'm wondering how strictly was it policed last time? If you have an excuse for them do they probe?. It's just the train I might need to get on occasion and tbh even over the last couple of months it's been about 25% full on my journey.

Worked throughout the lockdown, travelling in with Dublin bus. No enforcement whatsoever.

To be fair wasn't necessary when everything was shut as no point in heading to town anyway. As soon as non-essential retail opened buses were full to the allowed 25% capacity. I remember waiting 3 hours after a 12hr shift to get on a bus (there were lots of other essential workers stranded with me, recognised them as travelling throughout the lockdown). I'm guessing that's part of the reason non-essential retail is shut at level 5. Which is a shame. I think strict enforcement on buses is a preferable alternative to shutting shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

And?? You wont see me disagree with what you've said.

Point was being made in the context of people out doing Christmas shopping today, couldn't blame them for heading out today when being skeptical of it only being 4 weeks hence people out today getting a few things. That was the point being made

Yes you certainly can blame them. The problem we are in is because we head out too much for non essential reasons. Rushing out to do the non essentials before it becomes more difficult to do, only accelerates the process.

There are things we absolutely can do, and things we absolutely should do. Sometimes they are very different, but if people don't figure that out for themselves, they will never get the point, even when it is explained to them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 396 ✭✭Open the Pubs

So it's political game playing from NPHET ask for Level 5 get Level 4. Level 4 is still absurd, most counties are in Level 2 at the moment. May as well tank the levels altogether they are not being followed.

The restrictions are still extremely harsh on Level 4, and will lead to tens if not hundreds of thousands of job losses and business closures, this time many permanently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Thought Cabinent weren't meeting until later? https://twitter.com/Philip_Ryan/status/1313127740736970753?s=19

So we’re just gonna kick it all down the line until it gets worse.

This is going be a S-storm

Also cabinet isn’t until half 5?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

common sense prevails. the enforcement is key here. we need fines for people attending house parties.

is_that_so wrote: »

Best interests of public health then all advice. Plus talk of level 3 now. Who knows tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Benimar

Give Leo a few minutes to get to a computer.

...and there you go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Same lad tweeted last night NPHET recommended level 3 to government when everyone else was reporting 5.

Lets see how the cabinet meeting turns out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

is_that_so wrote: »

They were acting in their own interest when they let students rent their apartments before announcing colleges will be mostly online. They've changed NPHET wording or factory outbreaks to work place outbreaks. This government has their own interests first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

Thought they werent meeting till later how does he know theyve rejected it

:confused::confused::confused:

Shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Hopefully people got the message with the threat. Don't get complacent.

Guards need to be visible and taking action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Was talking with some one from work about this lockdown business. He said something very interesting... Not sure if there is anything to it.

But all these multipack crisps, chocolates and cola that people are buying ahead of Halloween parties from the likes of Lidl, aldi, Dunnes etc. Strong sales figures that show people are gonna be still having parties.

That the government could be looking at this too. I dunno ... Just an interesting thing they said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Benimar

Whether this is the right or wrong decision is irrelevant,....there is no way this should be getting leaked to the press BEFORE a Cabinet meeting to decide it!

• Advertisement

Level 3 plus enforcement is more or less what the rest of Europe is doing. Makes sense to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

Benimar wrote: »
    Whether this is the right or wrong decision is irrelevant,....there is no way this should be getting leaked to the press BEFORE a Cabinet meeting to decide it!

Either should the NPHET letter before it. Fighting through the media isn’t a good look all round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

froog wrote: »
    common sense prevails. the enforcement is key here. we need fines for people attending house parties.

Exactly.

We have too many tinfoil hat idiots who need to be forced to follow the rules which is impossible with our laughing stock of a police force.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Personally I’d prefer if they come clean about things. I understand why they don’t, but I’d much prefer if they stated what a lot of us have known for along time:

- this is most likely going to be the situation until April/May (erratic rolling restrictions depending on compliance)

- the reason the government have to intervene is not because they want to or because NEPHET have a massive ego and want to run the country. It’s because people are not being vigilant enough and not adhering to the advice being given, when that happens there is a cost, it’s that simple. This is not blame, this is making a statement of fact that people don’t want to hear

- Herd immunity or whatever way you want to phrase it is not feasible in Ireland without either massive infrastructure change in our hospitals or a vaccine. Letting it run through our population will potentially destroy our healthcare system.

- house parties don’t Happen because pubs are closed, people make a conscious decision to not comply with health guidance that puts everybody in danger.

- a decision was made on schools in the importance of what is greater good of society. There are risks associated with children in school and the spread but government felt that schools being open represented a niche area of society where the benefits of opening outweighed the benefits of locking them down. They are not special environments where the virus doesn’t spread, but society benefits more with them open that sets them apart from most other industry’s/business.

- masks have been made mandatory because there is enough evidence now that suggests even if the mask doesn’t completely change work, there’s a very strong chance it reduces your potential exposure to the virus and can even reduce the severity of the dose of COVID you get (viral load). Part of the reason masks were not initially recommended was because we needed to get them to healthcare workers. We also know more now then we did 7 months ago.

- recommend that all adults or people over 12 maintain good VIT D, VIT C
    And zinc levels. This may help provide some protection to the virus. This is not a panacea, this is but one small strategy in a line of multiple strategies, every little helps

- Clarify that government will not let country go bankrupt. Make this clear we say. Every step taken has an economic cost, this includes the cost of not taking steps. Make it clear that the decisions Made have factored in the costs of the strategy on all levels and factors in how long we can afford same.

- clarify that any decision being considered is not targeting any particular industry for any other reason then how this industry impacts on the spread. Answer specific questions honestly on why certain industry’s - people hey sloppy when they drink , let their guard down and are more likely to get infected

- come up with some mental health supports and advice. Zoom isn’t the same to be honest.

- don’t sugar coat things. I said months ago on here that if I owned a pub I’d be thinking I will be lucky if I can open up properly until April. This is not about being pessimistic, it’s setting realistic targets. Between now and april every business Should be factoring in open/close protocols and plans. I know it’s not feasible for everybody, but to ignore it because it won’t work or suit you is negligent. This is very unfortunate but this is the reality facing you

- the country will survive. 100 years ago we were in civil war. This feels awful, depressing , scary and extremely unnerving. But the whole world is suffering , we aren’t on our own. Despite what people think of the EU there is strength in numbers when we are part of it. Look at Italy and spain, they will not be let go under, neither will Ireland because the cost of letting us go under is way more to the EU then the cost of them bailing us out. That’s looking at worst case scenario that I don’t anticipate. It’s the uncertainty driving peoples fears, honestly don’t believe it will be as bad economically for the country as some feel

- government is stepping up funding for alternative strategies (sniffer dogs, airport vetting , see what works in other countries etc) and intends on adding these depending on how they feel it will suit/compliment our population

- research website that is totally optional (compliment to Covid app). Basically people sign in with a profile and answer questions that may help authorities spot trends or habits unique to Irish people that can help influence government restrictions. Most people won’t want to do this but I’m not paranoid about the intentions. It’s ironic how protective people get about their information being used when they are effectively giving it all for free to private social media companies.

I’m sure there’s other stuff I could think of but we need clear and intelligible leadership.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Gradius wrote: »
    No reason whatsoever to restrict goods in or out.

Every reason to stop people coming and going willy nilly.

They suspect goods coming in and out of NZ caused the virus to get back in.

I think everyone would agree about coming willy nilly but to effectively get to zero covid you'd have to stop people coming in and out full stop. Are you advocating that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

They had to be seen to be doing something but were definitely reluctant to go to level 5

NPHET won't be happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

bennyl10 wrote: »
    So we’re just gonna kick it all down the line until it gets worse.

This is going be a S-storm

Also cabinet isn’t until half 5?
    The main ministers and party leaders were at the CMO meeting so if that's the position the Cabinet should concur. I'd call it preparing people for the worst. Now we know that NPHET will go for Level 5 and that the government might agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Benimar wrote: »

Which is why I don’t think is fully correct

Yesterday weren’t the Indo reporting that level 5 wasn’t even being mentioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

The most intelligent Minister in government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Serious mixed messages floating about now

They'll have to announce something this evening

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement