Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXIV-37,063 ROI (1,801 deaths) 12,886 NI (582 deaths) (02/10) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Exactly, it only appears to be stable because of the limited testing done, the positivity rate is above 4 now when it was around 2.3 two weeks ago. No point arguing with this guy about facts.

No point in arguing with this guy about facts... its presented in HPSC data, read it for yourself for christ sake.

Limited testing done ? What limited testing, anyone can get a test now. Theres no barriers to testing, so your completely wrong saying we have limited testing.

This is Dublin cases, they are not growing at the rate they were 2 weeks ago that is a fact. Other counties continue to grow at a faster rate, while someothers are stable and / or decling.

Sure I can present all the data you want and you'd still argue that the sky isn't blue or the grass isn't green.

No point in discussing with someone who's not even in this country and hasn't a breeze whats going on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1313134772265381888

Expenational growth in the UK. 6k cases last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

What does this mean for weddings? People need to start calling out the assholes that are putting house parties etc on social media. Will pubs close again

25 people max

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭show me the money.1

NPHET are coming across as a joke how could anyone believe them?

Thursday they said no change needed from to counties on level 2 and 2 on level 3.
    Move to Sunday all counties to level 5 recommended.

We would be the laughing stock of the EU and beyond if we all moved to level 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Hulk Hands wrote:
    I'm personally delighted that it's elected officials finally making the decisions. A decision with all factors of public life taken into account.
    At level 3, we'll still be one of the heaviest locked-down nations, with case & hospital numbers towards the lower end. Surely the pro lockdown folk can be happy with that
    You see this is a clear case where they value approval ratings more than the national health of the country.
    I hope you realise that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Dublin, Cork & Donegal all have rapidly rising case numbers and two of them are already on level 3 for two weeks now at least.

The government response is to put the whole country on level 3? Makes no sense when you consider that there are counties with very little cases being treated the same as them.

Dublin's rates aren't rapidly rising though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

spookwoman wrote: »
    If people cannot even adhere to current guidelines do you honestly think they will adhere to level 3.
    No. We have I believe fairly extensive Public Health laws, and they should be used aggressively. One or two GAA clubs should be shut down as an example to others. There's been lots of news reports about pubs being reported for breaching social distancing, but I haven't heard of a single one being shut down - let's shut them down and cover the place in "keep away" tape for a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭magic17

Awh, is poor Tony's ego bruised? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Roots 2020

The last 24 hours have been pure farce. No one in charge, no plan..nothing.

I see an awful lot of people moving around shops etc trying to get things done before a feared lockdown. If anything the activity caused by the total confusion is going to spread the virus further.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Ger Roe wrote: »
    You don't have to go to a gym (indoor location also used by other people and with multiple contact surfaces) to stay fit.

Many, many people find the environment of a gym works better for them.

Personally, I can't stand gyms - I cycle and jog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Level 3 with more enforcement.

We have some guards if they can enforce a virus that has reseeded nationally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

NPHET members have been engaging in off the record briefings for weeks now.

Look at last nights leak for example.
    There was no way a recommended change of that magnitude was going to stay private. It would have come from either camp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

My 10 year old daughter is just after starting back basketball training, a sport that she utterly loves.

Because of this, it's set to be cancelled again and we're nowhere near the volume of cases that Dublin or Donegal is having. Its a load of bollox.

Regional restrictions my arse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

What does this mean for weddings? People need to start calling out the assholes that are putting house parties etc on social media. Will pubs close again

Honestly anyone thinking of getting married should have parked it till this time next year at least.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Don't let the door hit ya on the way out Tony.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Downlinz

We know level 3 hasn't been successful in Dublin or Donegal, I doubt by some magic it's going to be successful nationwide. This just seems to be a way to buy time while our government attempts to slowly find the courage and confidence to take the necessary decisions.

At least whatever happens it's all on FF, FG and Greens now. They can't hide behind NPHET anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Plane is going down but we'll do something about it when we're at 1000ft.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

No point in arguing with this guy about facts... its presented in HPSC data, read it for yourself for christ sake.

Limited testing done ? What limited testing, anyone can get a test now.

This is Dublin cases, they are not growing at the rate they were 2 weeks ago.

No point in discussing with someone who's not even in this country and hasn't a breeze whats going on.

I'm honestly just asking for the data showing the reduction in growth in Dublin, I wasn't being smart or anything.

Haven't cases stagnated and jumped recently enough. Is it as black and white as that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

If things go wrong, then its on the governments head. I hope they are right and things aren't as bad as it seems, but I would not be surprised if we end up in level 5 for longer at a later date in anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

We've a super bug breakout in a lot of hospitals that's already killing. Critical care beds won't be long filling up without covid.

All the more reason to take it seriously, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Dublin and Donegal are at Level 3.765 not Level 4

nah donegals at level 3.62 dublins at 3.765 we still have outdoor pubs (one local cluster already attributed to small town pub not adhering to rules !)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Thursday they said no change needed from to counties on level 2 and 2 on level 3. Move to Sunday all counties to level 5 recommended.
    I have no proof of this so it's only an opinion based on looking on from the outside but it looks to me like they were being bullied into not giving recommendations to lockdown further by the government.
    Holohan returns who I'm guessing has the balls to stand up to them and the whole of NPHET rows in behind him.

Thursday they said no change needed from to counties on level 2 and 2 on level 3.
    Move to Sunday all counties to level 5 recommended.

No one is laughing at having 39 CCU beds available as of last night. Not a single person or country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Dublin, Cork & Donegal all have rapidly rising case numbers and two of them are already on level 3 for two weeks now at least.

The government response is to put the whole country on level 3? Makes no sense when you consider that there are counties with very little cases being treated the same as them.

It takes two weeks at least for any measures to be seen.

Besides schools are open, not a hope we will have a drop in cases

GooglePlus wrote: »
    I'm honestly just asking for the data showing the reduction in growth in Dublin, I wasn't being smart or anything

Not having a go here at you at all here by the way. Its the other lad talking utter nonsense about limited testing.

Will link it to you when I'm home, HPSC website is difficult to navigate on the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Can gyms remain open on level 3?
    Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

So level 3 just means everything stays the same outside of Dublin and Donegal really. Cork has high numbers, I wonder why they're not being put at the same level as Dublin? I can't see restaurants opening this weekend in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

eagle eye wrote: »
    I have no proof of this so it's only an opinion based on looking on from the outside but it looks to me like they were being bullied into not giving recommendations to lockdown further by the government.
    Holohan returns who I'm guessing has the balls to stand up to them and the whole of NPHET rows in behind him.

Absolutely.

It is no coincidence this is all happening on Holohan's first day back.

Nolan & Glynn have been telling the politicians what they want to hear.

Now they, FF/FG/GP, are on their own now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I honestly thought they'd go to level 4. Government are damned if they do, damned if they dont.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Miike wrote: »
    No one is laughing at having 39 CCU beds available as of last night. Not a single person or country.

Yeah that joke has been repeated every winter for decades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

So level 3 just means everything stays the same outside of Dublin and Donegal really. Cork has high numbers, I wonder why they're not being put at the same level as Dublin? I can't see restaurants opening this weekend in Dublin.

No, everything moving to Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Denny61

Level 3 is a laugh..its either full lockdown open up the country

Unbelievable.
    No consultation with HSE or government and Ireland is "braver"

https://twitter.com/christinafinn8/status/1313134672575160326?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

I for one are glad that the government is standing up to the scientists and doctors.
    For too long modern medicine has been a thorn in the side of freedom loving, god fearing patriots.

mcburns07 wrote: »
    Yeah that joke has been repeated every winter for decades.

And that was without the additional pressure of a pandemic. What's the point you're making?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

What's in Level 4/5 that people think will make a big difference in reducing numbers? Given shops / businesses aren't a proven source of transmission and enforcement on houses / gatherings will be the same as now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

It means all counties including Dublin, Donegal are on level 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Not having a go here at you at all here by the way. Its the other lad talking utter nonsense about limited testing.

Will link it to you when I'm home, HPSC website is difficult to navigate on the phone.

We can only do 100,000 tests a week. If you think that isn't a limitation then I don't know what to say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

It takes two weeks at least for any measures to be seen.

Besides schools are open, not a hope we will have a drop in cases

Schools are open a lot longer than that. They're not to blame.

ixoy wrote: »
    What's in Level 4/5 that people think will make a big difference in reducing numbers? Given shops / businesses aren't a proven source of transmission and enforcement on houses / gatherings will be the same as now.

It takes away places for people to gather. Not for everyone but for some, who clearly are above sticking to the measures we've had in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭quokula

I strongly disagree with the decision not to follow NPHET's advice, but it is a bit rich seeing all the populist politicians coming out of the woodwork on twitter now with their "this government only private profits" nonsense, having stayed silent about what they thought we should do all day. I'm sure they had a draft of "the government don't care about working people's financial hardship" tweet ready if the government had gone the other way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Level three enforced should be more than enough, but Jesus get out there an enforce it. Get those lunatics protesting off Grafton Street, get those dickheads holding GAA parades to cop on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Was talking with some one from work about this lockdown business. He said something very interesting... Not sure if there is anything to it.

But all these multipack crisps, chocolates and cola that people are buying ahead of Halloween parties from the likes of Lidl, aldi, Dunnes etc. Strong sales figures that show people are gonna be still having parties.

That the government could be looking at this too. I dunno ... Just an interesting thing they said.

People buy those to make up treat bags for the children coming to the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I honestly thought they'd go to level 4. Government are damned if they do, damned if they dont.

Exactly this. I’ve a pain in my hole with people thinking that their ideas are the solution. There is no solution here without a vaccine. There is just a really sh!tty choice and an even worse one and the government are trying to figure out which is which.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

wes wrote: »
    If things go wrong, then its on the governments head. I hope they are right and things aren't as bad as it seems, but I would not be surprised if we end up in level 5 for longer at a later date in anyways.

That's something alot of people I think dont realise or want to face. Yeah sure a lockdown suck's, its depressing and headwrecking but I honestly think that Mehole is simply incapable of decisive leadership and is honestly too afraid to make the big decisions.

NPHET arent in charge they only issue recommendations but if they're suddenly recommending stage 5 what we should be all asking is "Why the sudden change? What are they seeing that we arent?".

Honestly I hope I'm wrong but I cant help feeling that by listening to those concerned about material issues over those who are experienced in the medical field that this could bite people in the arse badly down the line and too many are focused on the short term to realise this and by the time they do we'll be dealing with a god awful catatrophe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Last time they allowed the "old" level sized weddings (in this case level 2 in most places) booked for that weekend go ahead with the new restrictions not coming in until the following Monday.

I think....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Many, many people find the environment of a gym works better for them.

I absolutely agree, usually and normally, but in a pandemic situation, it may be prudent and perfectly possible to seek alternative activities and locations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Can I ask what is wrong with a Level 5 restrictions for Christmas....If fact is this not the perfect opportunity to have a real lockdown we can prepare for....

- Schools are closed for 2 week anyway...
    - Most workplaces are closed for at least a week...
    - It's the depths of winter, with nowhere to go anyway...

If they told everyone to prepare for a 2 week Full Full lockdown, Im talking level 6.4382 here folks!!
    Close Schools, shops and businesses (Except critical one of course and only emergency food deliveries) for the full 2 weeks.

Everyone instructed Stock up on Food (And toilet rolls!) for two weeks and only leave your house for walks on with your household and stay away from everyone else at all times.

After the 2 weeks, if anyone in your household has any symptoms, you remain in lockdown and are tested (maybe get 3 weeks food!!)

We have full household isolation for 2 weeks, with little impact on Economy as possible and try to control households with symptoms from there.

So .........We ride out level 3.453 until Christmas, come out the far side on level 1/2 and Repeat again for Easter!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Miike wrote: »
    It takes away places for people to gather. Not for everyone but for some, who clearly are above sticking to the measures we've had in place.
    People don't gather in shops. Social gatherings are already prohibited under Level 3.

So we're left with .. people meeting outside at a café? A small mix at sports? They're gone and that will solve the issue? With schools open (secondary I'm thinking in particular) and of course people just meeting and yapping regardless.

• Advertisement

Oranage2 wrote: »
    We can only do 100,000 tests a week. If you think that isn't a limitation then I don't know what to say

Anyone who wants a test can get one.

Wheres the barrier to testing ?

Not like people don't have access if they need one. You said we've limited testing, that implies people aren't being tested.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement