Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXIV-37,063 ROI (1,801 deaths) 12,886 NI (582 deaths) (02/10) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

ixoy wrote: »
    What's in Level 4/5 that people think will make a big difference in reducing numbers? Given shops / businesses aren't a proven source of transmission and enforcement on houses / gatherings will be the same as now.

People go to house parties, then they go to work, then they meet friends for lunch, then they go to the gym.

Stage 5 will cut out many of the scenarios where the virus can spread. Though keeping schools open will more than likely render it pointless too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

The HSE wasn't even consulted. Jesus Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Level three enforced should be more than enough, but Jesus get out there an enforce it. Get those lunatics protesting off Grafton Street, get those dickheads holding GAA parades to cop on.

Yes enforcement needs to be stricter, high on the spot fines taken direct from PUP, Dole or Wages

No DOH press briefing tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

People who are fit to tear our government a new one if things don't go their way are now their biggest advocates. I think people will side with whoever sides with decisions that suit their own lives, not the lives of everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Miike wrote: »
    And that was without the additional pressure of a pandemic. What's the point you're making?

That we have this problem every single winter, pandemic or not. It's nothing new and we don't lockdown the country because of it every year. We don't even really push the Flu vaccine despite it being the primary illness taking up ICU beds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Infini wrote: »
    Honestly I hope I'm wrong

I will be a very happy man if we are both wrong. I hope we don't end up having to do level 4/5 for longer in November or even December :eek:, which would **** up Christmas.

I hope level 3 does the job, and everyone has some cop on, and that they crack down on those bloody facist anti-mast protests.

Anyway, I guess I will be getting some use out of my P3 and KN95 masks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Part XXV coming up tonight beasty?

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

No DOH press briefing tonight

They're all in their bedrooms sulking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

ForestFire wrote: »
    Can I ask what is wrong with a Level 5 restrictions for Christmas....If fact is this not the perfect opportunity to have a real lockdown we can prepare for....

- Schools are closed for 2 week anyway...
    - Most workplaces are closed for at least a week...
    - It's the depths of winter, with nowhere to go anyway...

If they told everyone to prepare for a 2 week Full Full lockdown, Im talking level 6.4382 here folks!!
    Close Schools, shops and businesses (Except critical one of course and only emergency food deliveries) for the full 2 weeks.

Everyone instructed Stock up on Food (And toilet rolls!) for two weeks and only leave your house for walks on with your household and stay away from everyone else at all times.

After the 2 weeks, if anyone in your household has any symptoms, you remain in lockdown and are tested (maybe get 3 weeks food!!)

We have full household isolation for 2 weeks, with little impact on Economy as possible and try to control households with symptoms from there.

So .........We ride out level 3.453 until Christmas, come out the far side on level 1/2 and Repeat again for Easter!!

It would be perfect if we were in the 2nd week of December now

• Registered Users Posts: 15 satgirl22

can i ask what does it mean for restaurants in Cork in level 3 - is it outdoor dining only?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Only Level 3???!!!!

THEYRE NOT TRUSTING THE SCIENCE

Which science? Medical science, economic science...

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Spiderman0081

If the government does not agree with NPHET or follow their advice, does this now mean that we should start calling them tin foilers? It’s hard to keep up with the name calling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

ForestFire wrote: »
    Can I ask what is wrong with a Level 5 restrictions for Christmas....If fact is this not the perfect opportunity to have a real lockdown we can prepare for....

- Schools are closed for 2 week anyway...
    - Most workplaces are closed for at least a week...
    - It's the depths of winter, with nowhere to go anyway...

If they told everyone to prepare for a 2 week Full Full lockdown, Im talking level 6.4382 here folks!!
    Close Schools, shops and businesses (Except critical one of course and only emergency food deliveries) for the full 2 weeks.

Everyone instructed Stock up on Food (And toilet rolls!) for two weeks and only leave your house for walks on with your household and stay away from everyone else at all times.

After the 2 weeks, if anyone in your household has any symptoms, you remain in lockdown and are tested (maybe get 3 weeks food!!)

We have full household isolation for 2 weeks, with little impact on Economy as possible and try to control households with symptoms from there.

So .........We ride out level 3.453 until Christmas, come out the far side on level 1/2 and Repeat again for Easter!!

A scheduled lockdown that we all know about before hand is definitely an interesting idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

All colleges are online :confused:

Maybe the case on some, but in Limerick, cork & Galway student accommodation is full and plenty big house parties on going

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭landofthetree

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Yes enforcement needs to be stricter, high on the spot fines taken direct from PUP, Dole or Wages

We must be the greatest country on the planet for not actually apllying the laws we already have. Then when things go wrong we bring in more!

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Maybe the case on some, but in Limerick, cork & Galway student accommodation is full and plenty big house parties on going
    Because people don't have proper internet at home. The people I know in accommodation are only there because they don't have broadband. The rest have remained at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Roots 2020

Unbelievable.
    No consultation with HSE or government and Ireland is "braver"

https://twitter.com/christinafinn8/status/1313134672575160326?s=19

It sounds like Trump talk.. 'braver' my eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

White house press secretary the latest to test postive
    https://twitter.com/PressSec/status/1313138387994509313?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭landofthetree

satgirl22 wrote: »
    can i ask what does it mean for restaurants in Cork in level 3 - is it outdoor dining only?

Yes.

Level 3

Restaurants and cafes (including bars/pubs serving food) may remain open for take-away and delivery and outdoor dining to a maximum of 15 people.

polesheep wrote: »
    Which science? Medical science, economic science...

Medical obviously, it's a health advisory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Ger Roe wrote: »
    I absolutely agree, usually and normally, but in a pandemic situation, it may be prudent and perfectly possible to seek alternative activities and locations.

Well, in theory, I agree. But, in practice, many people can't seem to find the motivation to exercise anywhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Plane is going down but we'll do something about it when we're at 1000ft.

Not before this happens

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQbhtJFq0wc0_Plzk1E-KJ3a_ebUpR-85GzxA&usqp=CAU

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Careful now. You may get loons accusing you of eroding your freedom and to go to North Korea.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Randle P. McMurphy

That sounds like they are gong to kill the messenger and carry on regardless. Good luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 satgirl22

Yes.

Level 3

Restaurants and cafes (including bars/pubs serving food) may remain open for take-away and delivery and outdoor dining to a maximum of 15 people.

Thanks, to me that seemed to be level 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

quokula wrote: »
    I strongly disagree with the decision not to follow NPHET's advice, but it is a bit rich seeing all the populist politicians coming out of the woodwork on twitter now with their "this government only private profits" nonsense, having stayed silent about what they thought we should do all day. I'm sure they had a draft of "the government don't care about working people's financial hardship" tweet ready if the government had gone the other way.

These opposition parasites than we have in the likes of PBP are so much more divisive and destructive that any bloody virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

mcburns07 wrote: »
    That we have this problem every single winter, pandemic or not. It's nothing new and we don't lockdown the country because of it every year. We don't even really push the Flu vaccine despite it being the primary illness taking up ICU beds.

I'm still bewildered as to what point you're driving home here. Every winter we have an ICU bed issue - Yes. That was without the pressure of a pandemic taking even more beds. It takes no great leap in logic to see how one can dramatically change the other. So what do you suggest, that we ignore the ICU bed metric?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

wes wrote: »
    A scheduled lockdown that we all know about before hand is definitely an interesting idea.
    That's this "circuit breaker" idea. The UK have been mulling it over for a while. Midterm and Christmas holidays is the plan if they do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

If the government does not agree with NPHET or follow their advice, does this now mean that we should start calling them tin foilers? It’s hard to keep up with the name calling

Don't forget to add 'brigade' onto whatever name you call them. It seems to be important to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Time to pick sides?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

satgirl22 wrote: »

Same as Level 3 for everybody else.

https://www.gov.ie/en/campaigns/resilience-recovery-2020-2021-plan-for-living-with-covid-19/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Moving from level 2 to level 5 may only be the stroke of the pen for the likes of NPHET but it means putting tens of thousands on the dole, businesses ruined perhaps permanently and weddings and the like also ruined. And all because the HSE and particularly NPHET had no plans to increase ICU capacity.

This is where there focus should be, not on lockdowns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I continue to trust NPHET.

However, I don't trust the government to properly enforce the level 2 restrictions let alone level 3 or 4.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Unbelievable.
    No consultation with HSE or government and Ireland is "braver"

https://twitter.com/christinafinn8/status/1313134672575160326?s=19

That's actually quite a shocking thing to occur in a democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

wes wrote: »

Imagine the queues at the shops the evening before a scheduled severe lockdown. There'd be full on riots for the last piece of bog roll.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

hmmm wrote: »
    Let people complain about their "Constitutional rights". We can deal with that later.

That's an extremely dangerous path to walk down.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Oranage2 wrote: »
    People go to house parties, then they go to work, then they meet friends for lunch, then they go to the gym.

Stage 5 will cut out many of the scenarios where the virus can spread. Though keeping schools open will more than likely render it pointless too.
    Level 3 cuts them out too though. Work is wfh unless essential - much like Level 3.
    Cafés/restaurants can only serve outdoors at best, so little difference there.
    Social gatherings are prohibited, so they can't meet elsewhere.
    Gym classes are prohibited under Level 3 too, so again not huge difference.

The extras in Level 4/5 I just don't see covering much more that's not there already, especially if there's schools and no enforcement of the above (particularly around gatherings). They're the real nub and none of the plan really tackles it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Moving from level 2 to level 5 may only be the stroke of the pen for the likes of NPHET but it means putting tens of thousands on the dole, businesses ruined perhaps permanently and weddings and the like also ruined. And all because the HSE and particularly NPHET had no plans to increase ICU capacity.

It is the government's responsibility to increase ICU capacity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Russman

mcburns07 wrote: »
    Yeah that joke has been repeated every winter for decades.
    It’s not winter yet and flu season hasn’t kicked off fully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

While I am glad we (hopefully) aren't moving into Level 5 as we do not have a concrete plan again....does that not mean that all along when the government is telling us "sorry but the health experts tell us this must be so, how dare anyone question the health experts" they were talking completely out of their ass?

Biggest joke of a government ever elected.

Didn't NPHET recommend level 4 for Dublin a few weeks ago but the government rejected?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Smyths toys website:
    Our Home Delivery service is temporarily unavailable.
    This is to allow us to manage the unexpected surge in orders today. We have good levels of stock with more arriving each week so please don't worry. We will be back online shortly.

Time to pick sides?

I'll have curry and cheese as sides with my fries ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Kiith wrote: »
    That's an extremely dangerous path to walk down.

If someone had to choose between businesses getting to stay open and attempting to reduce contacts of people or people allowed to have house parties cos of constitutional rights, the people who choose the latter are idiots imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Didn't NPHET recommend level 4 for Dublin a few weeks ago but the government rejected?

Did indeed - seems to have been forgotten about now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Sardonicat wrote: »
    It is the government's responsibility to increase ICU capacity

Its NPHET's responsibility as those running national public health strategy to request more resources and provide a plan.

Its then the governments role to provide finances.

At this stage it feels like someone deciding to shutdown their workplace rather than do a bit of work. Get the finger out, increase hospital and ICU capacity. Do your job.

Our Health Minister gone quite, any thing also from Paul Reid of HSE?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

So a bunch of non-medical suits have ignored doctors orders on our behalf?

Sounds great.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement