Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIV-37,063 ROI (1,801 deaths) 12,886 NI (582 deaths) (02/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

spookwoman wrote: »
    How is asking you to prove something going to cause the sky to fall. Just admit it you can't prove it. It's only reasonable to at least provide some proof to back up your story, you ask everyone else to but you refuse to do it yourself.
    You've some interesting ways of turning arguments against people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

How is asking you to prove something going to cause the sky to fall. Just admit it you can't prove it. It's only reasonable to at least provide some proof to back up your story, you ask everyone else to but you refuse to do it yourself.

I’ve no idea what you are asking me to prove. It’s clear that COVID is less dangerous to children. The mortality data in every country in the world shows this.

Hospitals Update

Mater (-5) - 16
    Beaumont (+3) - 12
    St James (--) - 10
    Connolly (--) - 8
    Tallaght (--) - 6
    Galway (--) - 4
    Mercy (--) - 4
    UHL (-1) - 4
    St Vincents (-3) - 3
    UHW (--) - 3
    CUH (+2) - 2
    Mullingar (--) - 2
    Naas (--) - 2
    Portlaoise (--) - 2
    Drogheda (--) - 1
    Letterkenny (--) - 1
    South Tipp (--) - 1
    UHK (--) - 1
    Navan (-1) - 0

ICU
    St James +1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭spookwoman

I’ve no idea what you are asking me to prove. It’s clear that COVID is less dangerous to children. The mortality data in every country in the world shows this.

So every country is telling the truth about how many people are infected or have died.... :rolleyes:
    Provide some recent peer reviewed document.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Account Number

majcos wrote: »

220 cases in Northern Ireland today which nearly matches figures in the 26 counties with almost three times the population. Letterkenny is about 30km from Derry and Carlingford 30km from Warrenpoint. Donegal and Louth topping the county incidence tables after Dublin but then Waterford comes next on the list. Northerners cannot be blamed for that!

Aha, but meat factories can! ;) In all seriousness, one day of 22 cases is messing up our 14 day rate big time, I'm just hoping the slow decline over the last week is enough to save us from lockdown..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

*cough*

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/casesinireland/epidemiologyofcovid-19inireland/

Please, before you post this nonsense again about kids and covid, have a read.

Why are you posting a general link to the HSPC?
    Sarcasm ..much ?

Are we still not getting the whole "most kids will be perfectly fine" concept? getting old at this stage

humberklog wrote: »
    Not to take away from your point but Denmark hasn't been doing too well with new infections for the last number of weeks.

No but they are a lot more balanced than .....the Swedes !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭plodder

Can anyone explain this graph from the RTE 9 oclock news this evening? It makes no sense to me.

527237.jpeg

So every country is telling the truth about how many people are infected or have died.... :rolleyes:

Oh, wow, you think European countries are forging their death stats to hide COVID mortality rates in children? Just wow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

What kind of nonsense is this?

You're suggesting a concerted effort on behalf of governments and public health agencies to hide child deaths from Covid-19?

plodder wrote: »
    Can anyone explain this graph from the RTE 9 oclock news this evening? It makes no sense to me.

527237.jpeg

The blue part is the case number of of 0-19 year olds

The yellow/gold 65+

I guess they are missing every age in between - but are trying to highlight the case numbers in those two particular age ranges, suggesting that both are increasing higher than usual?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Polar101

In the briefing they said that over the past month, there hasn't been an increase in proportion of under 19-year olds getting infected (despite schools opening), but more over 65-year olds have tested positive.

No idea what's going on with the RTE graph, though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

527237.jpeg

???

Makes no sense.
    They must have just removed the other age group, but that's not a sensible way of presenting data.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Arghus wrote: »
    The situation hasn't noticeably changed in the last few days - there's been no change in government messaging or dramatic difference in the trajectory of numbers. So people are just arguing with each other - all that mental energy has to go somewhere. That'll change again once something dramatic happens. There are weeks like this, where everything can feel a bit like nothing is happening, last week was quite dramatic. There'll be more drama in time I'm sure - either next week or the week after.

It swings a bit from day to day: if the numbers are slightly lower or steady the "nothing to see here, open it up" crowd come to the fore for a while, if the numbers are up the "this is getting out of hand" crowd are in the ascendedancy.

Broadly speaking, I side with the "this is getting out of hand crowd" - because, well, it certainly doesn't appear to be getting better. The only positive I could take from the briefing today was that Nolan did acknowledge that there's a possibility - an outside possibility - of a stabilisation in case numbers. But he did state it's early days and it can't be taken as a definite trend.

Stabilisation of numbers means it is getting better as the recent trend was rising numbers.

I thought this sort of conspiracy nonsense was looked down upon?

Yeah, thanks, I read that a couple of weeks ago. Nothing in that to say it’s worse than other infectious diseases.

Well good for you .
    I can send you to a few Paediatricians here in Ireland that might tell you otherwise .
    But oh sorry , maybe the people who look after sick people with Covid should say..." nothing to see here " , or " lets not worry about that, it might never happen ? "
    Fact is , it exists, children have been adversely affected , and thank heaven that there are some rational professionals in this country looking out for our children and young people , because some of you out there ( and some with children , I note ) are definitely not .

527237.jpeg
    They've mixed up the ages, it's the other way around

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

looks like they mixed up the two age groups.

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Well good for you .
    I can send you to a few Paediatric Medics here in Ireland that might tell you otherwise .
    But oh sorry , maybe the people who look after sick people with Covid should say..." nothing to see here " , or " lets not worry about that, it might never happen ? "
    Fact is , it exists, children have been adversely affected , and thank heaven that there are some rational professionals in this country looking out for our children and young people , because some of you out there ( and some with children , I note ) are definitely not .

Thanks for confirming there is no evidence whatsoever that COVID is more dangerous than other infectious diseases to children.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

If you look at it upside down it’s all positive.

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Well good for you .
    I can send you to a few Paediatric Medics here in Ireland that might tell you otherwise .

NPHET are not rational professionals?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Oh, wow, you think European countries are forging their death stats to hide COVID mortality rates in children? Just wow.

You have a knack for twisting what I post, you did the same when you accused me of saying kids are more a risk of long term problems.
    This time it's europe not documenting everything.
    Actually it's right, they have not always documented everything. UK was not reporting all the numbers, same with spain, france and ireland. Sure there is even talk of excess deaths.

The blue part is the case number of of 0-19 year olds

The yellow/gold 65+

I guess they are missing every age in between - but are trying to highlight the case numbers in those two particular age ranges, suggesting that both are increasing higher than usual?
    So, the blue is 0-19 and the orange/gold is 20-64. Makes sense if fairly craply shown.

Shows how teenagers been unfairly targeted going back several weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

They've mixed up the ages, it's the other way around

#truthmatters - cannot even get a simple graph right, and scare the bejaysus out of old folk

So, the blue is 0-19 and the orange/gold is 20-64. Makes sense if fairly craply shown.

Shows how teenagers been unfairly targeted going back several weeks.

The gold is just 65+.

Seeing what other posters have said, it looks like it's backwards.

Either way, they need data viz expertise, that's just useless.

What sort of study aims to prove something is 'not worse' than something else? That's a bizarre question

So you are ok with people just shooting down confirmed research with just a throwaway dismissive comment ?

Oh yes , I suppose you are ......forgot for a minute there

You have a knack for twisting what I post, you did the same when you accused me of saying kids are more a risk of long term problems.
    Actually it's right, they have not always documented everything. UK was not reporting all the numbers, same with spain, france and ireland. Sure there is even talk of excess deaths.

"sure there is even talk" Talk. TALK!

Would it be worth to hold yourself to the 'peer reviewed document' standards you're attempting to hold others to?

Take a look at excess death stats on euromomo. There are no excess deaths in 2020 in children in any country in Europe.

• Advertisement

The gold is just 65+.

Seeing what other posters have said, it looks like it's backwards.

Either way, they need data viz expertise, that's just useless.
    So, complete garbage from the national broadcaster then .. wonderful

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement