Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIV-37,063 ROI (1,801 deaths) 12,886 NI (582 deaths) (02/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

plodder wrote: »
    So, complete garbage from the national broadcaster then .. wonderful

Honestly, are you surprised?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

So, complete garbage from the national broadcaster then .. wonderful

The budget's gone on Dustin's return, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Goldengirl wrote: »
    So you are ok with people just shooting down confirmed research with just a throwaway dismissive comment ?

Oh yes , I suppose you are ......forgot for a minute there
    I can't believe it's September and people still cannot grasp, despite how many times scientists (and NPHET) say it, that 99.9999999% of children will be perfectly fine.
    Per HPSC there has been 0 deaths under the age of 15 in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,967 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Wheres Tony Houlihan gone to?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Wheres Tony Houlihan gone to?

Looking after his wife who is very ill with cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

So, the blue is 0-19 and the orange/gold is 20-64. Makes sense if fairly craply shown.

Shows how teenagers been unfairly targeted going back several weeks.

While I think it is necessary that the schools are open I question the need for the colleges to be open, people travel far greater distance for college, a cluster in college could travel in many directions on a weekend when they head home, people of that age should be able to avail of online learning, if they don't have good enough Internet it should be possible to download it to watch later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Can anyone explain this graph from the RTE 9 oclock news this evening? It makes no sense to me.

527237.jpeg

Despite the fear over schools. No uptick on young.

Over 65s is increasing.

They should really be line graphs not filled in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Stabilisation of numbers means it is getting better as the recent trend was rising numbers.

You can't read definitively into that if it's just been a short amount of days, Professor Nolan was at pains to point that out. And it has been a short amount of days. It could just be a blip, it takes a longer period of time than just 3-4 days to ascertain if there is a genuine trend at play. The 7 and 14 day instance are still rising. It's been too short a time to call it a stabilisation.

We have had periods like this before where the numbers have steadied for a few days before rising again. Back when they made the first announcement of pubs staying shut the numbers stayed steady enough for the few days that followed, but then eventually started to rise again.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Does anyone know what the age breakdown is for those currently in hospital/ICU?
    We keep hearing of younger people being increasingly getting serious complications from Covid but we never get a proper age analysis of those who are hospitalised.

• Advertisement

They've mixed up the ages, it's the other way around

I don't think they did. Over 65s growing faster than under 19. Discussed at press conference earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭plodder

I don't think they did. Over 65s growing faster than under 19. Discussed at press conference earlier.
    But that interpretation would have the over 65s as the major driver of infection since mid July. That can't be true surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭bloopy

What is this. This is a twisting of the mans words. In the interview he was suggesting that the Sweden route may be one to look at, not that it should be conducted in the exact same way. To portray it as him backtracking is incredibly dishonest reporting. The Drivetime presenter didn't even bother to have a proper interview with the man - just kept throwing odd accusations and mentioning slightly larger class sizes.

What the hell is going on here - is this a setup or something?
    What the f*** are the Irish media up to?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I’ve no idea what you are asking me to prove. It’s clear that COVID is less dangerous to children. The mortality data in every country in the world shows this.

No . You didn't say that .
    What I replied to was you saying in a number of posts that there was " zero evidence " of Covid causing any harm more than any infectious disease .
    I said that wasn't so .
    I supplied the link to the study in the Lancet .
    You and your pals then dismiss it out of hand with no reason or debate ...
    Spookwoman asked you to show or prove why you dismiss it out of hand .
    ACS then rushes to defend the frankly indefensible with more non debate.
    Now you are trying to say you said something different to start with .
    I think you all need to think whether you want to discuss anything for real or just not .

But that interpretation would have the over 65s as the major driver of infection since mid July. That can't be true surely?

No. It's the incidence per 100k in each age group. Independent of other age groups. If they put in 20 to 40 yr it would be off that chart.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Take a look at excess death stats on euromomo. There are no excess deaths in 2020 in children in any country in Europe.

I didn't mention children when talking about numbers not always reported properly by countries. It was a general statement, but sure you will probably twist that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I can't believe it's September and people still cannot grasp, despite how many times scientists (and NPHET) say it, that 99.9999999% of children will be perfectly fine.
    Per HPSC there has been 0 deaths under the age of 15 in Ireland.

Not talking about deaths here , as you know quite well .
    If you don't then read the link posted about PIMS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

No . You didn't say that .
    What I replied to was you saying in a number of posts that there was " zero evidence " of Covid causing any harm more than any infectious disease .
    I said that wasn't so .
    I supplied the link to the study in the Lancet .
    You and your pals then dismiss it out of hand with no reason or debate ...
    Spookwoman asked you to show or prove why you dismiss it out of hand .
    ACS then rushes to defend the frankly indefensible with more non debate.
    Now you are trying to say you said something different to start with .
    I think you all need to think whether you want to discuss anything for real or just not .

When you send me a link to a paper which supports your contention that COVID is more dangerous to children that other infectious diseases, I will happily discuss it with you.

Can anyone explain this graph from the RTE 9 oclock news this evening? It makes no sense to me.

527237.jpeg

Missing all other age groups. UK had a similar chart the other day but included all ages.

527244.jpg

Not talking about deaths here , as you know quite well .
    If you don't then read the link posted about PIMS
    You mean the study that was inconclusive?
    Although there has been an increasing number of case reports and case series, the global and population-specific incidence of MIS-C remains unknown, and the causal relationship and pathogenesis of Kawasaki disease and MIS-C remain unclear.

• Advertisement

Are we actually suggesting that Covid is dangerous to young people... despite only having 1 death under 25.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,300 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Goldengirl wrote:
    Must have missed that? So it was lies about those people that we have read so far that have been reinfected?
    He doesn't have the qualifications to debunk anything either.

I must have missed the signup option for Boards where you attach your degree

Are we actually suggesting that Covid is dangerous to young people... despite only having 1 death under 25.

Essentially, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

The journey to the Covid test centre is the dangerous part for the under 25's.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

No. It's the incidence per 100k in each age group. Independent of other age groups. If they put in 20 to 40 yr it would be off that chart.

Today was 28 cases for 65+ so that would be put them at about 5 per 100,000

Under 64 is way higher

So the chart is wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Right, so if flu is more dangerous for kids than covid - what happens if kids catch both at the same time?

Right, so if flu is more dangerous for kids than covid - what happens if kids catch both at the same time?

Are you asking a hypothetical?

Edit: for over 65s, increases in comorbidity deaths, very small sample size.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/22/flu-and-covid-19-at-same-time-significantly-increases-risk-of-death

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Goldrickssan

They blow up

• Advertisement

it's probably not good for anybody to catch both, not just kids

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement