Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIV-37,063 ROI (1,801 deaths) 12,886 NI (582 deaths) (02/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

fritzelly wrote: »
    Today was 28 cases for 65+ so that would be put them at about 5 per 100,000

Under 64 is way higher

So the chart is wrong

It's 65+ and 0-19 only. It doesn't plot 20-64.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Today was 28 cases for 65+ so that would be put them at about 5 per 100,000

Under 64 is way higher

So the chart is wrong

Numbers may be wrong. But that is what they were comparing on it. 2 age groups. Under 19 v over 65.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,300 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

In what way? There is no evidence whatsoever, anywhere in the world, that Covid is a significant risk to children. But, worry about it if you so wish. No one can prove to me that the sky won't fall on our heads.
    Have you been Liv Ng under a rock for months or something? Have you not heard of pims?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Thanks for confirming there is no evidence whatsoever that COVID is more dangerous than other infectious diseases to children.

I confirmed it was .
    It affects some children greatly .
    That you persist in not believing evidence presented and that you continue to argue a point you have most definitely lost shows the level of debate you prefer .
    I am sure you will get plenty to thank and support this , if that is what you want .

Goldengirl wrote: »
    I confirmed it was .
    That you persist in not believing evidence presented and that you continue to argue a point you have most definitely lost shows the level of debate you prefer .
    I am sure you will get plenty to thank and support this , if that is what you want .

Tunnel vision?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

eagle eye wrote: »
    Have you been Liv Ng under a rock for months or something? Have you not heard of pims?

It's very rare as is Kawasaki disease. Bet you had to Google for it, just like I did.
    https://www.rcpch.ac.uk/resources/pims-covid-19-linked-syndrome-affecting-children-information-families

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    It's 65+ and 0-19 only. It doesn't plot 20-64.

But the graph is showing 65+ as 20+ per 100k - that is wrong

Even going by the 13/9 high (assuming that's why the date is on the graph) it was only 6/100k for 65+

The 0-19 looks right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

I confirmed it was .

Yes, but its extremely rare, rarer than complications from flu.

What exactly is your point though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

I confirmed it was .

Have you actually read the report you linked to? There is a vast difference between saying that, in a small number of very rare cases, COVID might be responsible for an inflammatory condition versus evidence that COVID is worse for children than other infectious diseases. I’m genuinely not sure if you are reading my posts in full, or just reading one word and responding to that.

• Advertisement

But the graph is showing 65+ as 20+ per 100k - that is wrong

Even going by the 13/9 high (assuming that's why the date is on the graph) it was only 6/100k for 65+

Get on to RTE. I wouldn't worry about it.

Yep. Online learning doesn’t work for younger children, but universities should be using it as much as possible.

Take a look at excess death stats on euromomo. There are no excess deaths in 2020 in children in any country in Europe.

Moving goal posts and changing tack ...
    Deaths were not mentioned .

As it happens unfortunately children HAVE died in other countries .
    We have had 48 under 15 hospitalised , 3 in ICU , but thankfully no deaths .
    There has been a 19 year old who died with no underlying conditions.
    There are also children in Ireland still sick with long term Covid.

The post I was quoting was about excess deaths.....

Yep. Online learning doesn’t work for younger children, but universities should be using it as much as possible.

Son is back in Limerick IT two weeks on Friday. No issues so far.
    He does 5 half days on campus , online lectures the rest of the time in the study hub in the student village.

The first report, specifically calling out comorbidities and in particular obesity as an issue in that age range. Twice as deadly as heart attacks for the age range too. Maybe a holistic view of general health would be a pragmatic mitigation strategy, seemingly absent from any debate really.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Son is back in Limerick IT two weeks on Friday. No issues so far.
    He does 5 half days on campus , online lectures the rest of the time in the study hub in the student village.
    I've only got 2 hours per week on campus at UCC, rest online. Should be handy enough.

As it happens unfortunately children HAVE died in other countries .
    We have had 48 under 15 hospitalised , 3 in ICU , but thankfully no deaths .
    There has been a 19 year old who died with no underlying conditions.
    There are also children in Ireland still sick with long term Covid.

Imagine the hysterics if this disease really was dangerous to children. Thank our lucky stars it's not and stop obsessing over edge cases. You'll drive yourself mad.

When you send me a link to a paper which supports your contention that COVID is more dangerous to children that other infectious diseases, I will happily discuss it with you.

Yeah ..this is an infectious disease that can cause some of the nastiest multi organ damage and inflammatory disease , but you are saying it's not more dangerous?
    The onus is on you to post now that its not, I believe .
    Otherwise you are just a troll .

• Advertisement

Yeah ..this is an infectious disease that can cause some of the nastiest multi organ damage and inflammatory disease , but you are saying it's not more dangerous?
    The onus is on you to post now that its not, I believe .
    Otherwise you are just a troll .

The onus on you is to understand statistics and probability.

You mean the study that was inconclusive?

That's not what it says in your own quote there .

I've only got 2 hours per week on campus at UCC, rest online. Should be handy enough.

Temperature check upon entry, mask in all settings. Safe as it can be and he's delighted to be back. Second year.
    He still gets the full experience. Better than fully online, plus no access to dependable internet in our location.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,378 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

The reinfection cases are still extremely low, but do the new cases in any way suggest a failure of immunity in the medium term?

I haven't seen the dates of the primary compared to secondary infection to know if this is a trend. Assuming it is still extremely rare.

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1308887513176604672?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

That's not what it says in your own quote there .
    It says the majority of details remain unknown.
    There's no conclusion made.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭majcos

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the age breakdown is for those currently in hospital/ICU?
    We keep hearing of younger people being increasingly getting serious complications from Covid but we never get a proper age analysis of those who are hospitalised.

Demographic details on confirmed cases in two weeks between 08/09 and 21/09.

(Tried to embed photo but couldn’t figure out how to do it. Hope attached image accessible.)

it's probably not good for anybody to catch both, not just kids

Now why would that be , if it is no harm in the first place, as you say ?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭lillycakes2

LOL, Everyone is so rude to one another on this......Leaving......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Well good for you .
    I can send you to a few Paediatric Medics here in Ireland that might tell you otherwise .
    But oh sorry , maybe the people who look after sick people with Covid should say..." nothing to see here " , or " lets not worry about that, it might never happen ? "
    Fact is , it exists, children have been adversely affected , and thank heaven that there are some rational professionals in this country looking out for our children and young people , because some of you out there ( and some with children , I note ) are definitely not .

Sure get them to come onto boards and tell us. It’d be far better than hearing it second hand from you. All these paediatric medics you know personally and can’t even provide a link to one of them? A terrible oversight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Temperature check upon entry, mask in all settings. Safe as it can be and he's delighted to be back. Second year.
    He still gets the full experience. Better than fully online, plus no access to dependable internet in our location.

High risk due to the widespread effect of an outbreak going across many counties if not detected, you also have 19/20 year olds with possibly their first time living away from home and they understandably are going to break out, restrictions will not apply

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement