Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIV-37,063 ROI (1,801 deaths) 12,886 NI (582 deaths) (02/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Polar101

Glynn and Nolan earlier with their favourite classic "the next 10 days are critical", do me a favour! They've been saying that since March we're 7 months in ffs! And it's probably been here even longer.

You're right in that it's a silly thing to repeat ad infinitum, but this time it was one of the journos who said it, not Glynn or Nolan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

spookwoman wrote: »
    You were questioning her ability to do her job. You were rude and condescending to her and treating her like she didn't know what she was on about. It's her job to run these test, whats your qualifications in the field and have you actually ever worked in these labs running pcr tests?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114701504&postcount=9949
    "Originally Posted by Martina1991 View Post
    A swab will yield a positve result when viral RNA to SARS CoV 2 is detected.

You cant find whats not there.
    I could take a swab from you and amplify it til the cows come home, its not going to be positve if theres no viral RNA in the sample (unless contaminated).

We're splitting hairs here really.
    If someone gets a pos result they likely either have or had been infected with Covid.

So why take a risk of infecting others. Isolate for 2 weeks and be safe.
    Regardless of all the statistical crap."
    Your reply was

Are you familiar with using the assay that the NVRL uses? If not then we're just as clueless as each other, to be fair.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114702133&postcount=10006

Originally Posted by Martina1991 View Post
    Ok so you guys think a large proportion of our cases are false even though the assays and methods havent changed and are detecting the same virus, the same way it has from the start with over a 99% rate of detecting the virus when it is present.

Your reply
    "Are you familiar with using the assay that the NVRL uses? If not then we're just as clueless as each other, to be fair."

Not only does the screen shot not mean what you think it means you are now confused who you are trying to attack.
    He didn't insult or call her ability into question. He was referring to a HSE release.
    Reading comprehension is sadly in short supply here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

spookwoman wrote: »

Your reply
    "Are you familiar with using the assay that the NVRL uses? If not then we're just as clueless as each other, to be fair."

Yeah that made me laugh, ACE wouldn't know an Assay if it fell out of the sky and hit him on the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Welcome to the internet, you clearly have a lot to learn.

And you clearly have a lot to learn, full stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭inthenip

Can't we just all get along and hug

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I must have missed the signup option for Boards where you attach your degree
    You missed it, eh?
    It's a statistical anomaly known as an outlier. You learn that when you study statistics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlier

Are you my mom or something? Could you be any more condescending?

Mom? Do you do the math too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

inthenip wrote: »
    Not under the current restrictions no.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Ficheall wrote: »
    You missed it, eh?

I learned that too. FP, TP, FN, TN too. But that's thing of past now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Yeah that made me laugh, ACE wouldn't know an Assay if it fell out of the sky and hit him on the head.

You’re coming across fantastically, keep it up

• Advertisement

Script:
    We see Beasty sitting in a cold flat knitting a scarf for the coming winter.
    Suddenly the room glows blood red as a light flashes on the wall.
    A klaxon blares.
    Beasty puts down his knitting and opens his laptop.
    TimeLadsPlease has posted on the Coronavirus thread but he is banned from that thread.
    Beasty frowns, deletes the post and issues a ban to TimeLadsPlease via pm.
    Beasty goes back to his knitting.
    Fade to dark.

You’re coming across fantastically, keep it up

Thanks, I think I will.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Christ I’ve really ruffled some feathers tonight, wheels coming off the train :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Christ I’ve really ruffled some feathers tonight, wheels coming off the train :D

Need to open the country and the pubs - this will be Mad Max if it goes on much longer

Ah yeah. It's all about you 'ace'.

inthenip wrote: »

Not hugging anyone....

My kids would have said Mam , thought Mom was an American thing ....Hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭branie2

RIP, the two people who died

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: @Woody79 - banned from the thread for repeatedly link dumping content without any discussion around it.

@ACitizenErased, @Goldengirl - 72 hours off the thread for the childish back and forth. Next time will be permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,300 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I don't think that means what you think it means.
    A bit like yourself and ',willfully naive'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

wPsy3W0.gif

Mod: I think we'll just go with a permanent forum ban this time, seeing as you don't feel the rules apply to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

The chairwoman of Failte Ireland who had to resign after holidaying in Spain in July has been reinstated by Leo Varadkar. It's like they want us to lose interest in the restrictions and guidelines. Ridiculous

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40053842.html?type=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

7% of Tests are accurate? And these tests are being used to shut the world down? Maybe there is no such thing as asymptomatic and it's just faulty tests?

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1308655561081225217?s=19

US2 wrote: »
    The chairwoman of Failte Ireland who had to resign after holidaying in Spain in July has been reinstated by Leo Varadkar. It's like they want us to lose interest in the restrictions and guidelines. Ridiculous

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40053842.html?type=amp

Irish politics all over - makes you wonder why bother

US2 wrote: »
    7% of Tests are accurate? And these tests are being used to shut the world down? Maybe there is no such thing as asymptomatic and it's just faulty tests?

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1308655561081225217?s=19

Not explained in the clip but it's one of two scenarios - they are talking about rapid testing kits (probably not) or that testing everyone arriving you are only going to catch those in the later stages (edit to say I mean people who have not just been infected very recently) of the incubation or showing symptoms vs normal testing of people who are actually showing symptoms

So the 7% is probably not that ludicrous

If one infected person on the plane infects 6 others who a week later show symptoms they will be negative in any testing at that early stage, same for anyone else who may have caught it in the days before flying

Rapid tests are very narrow, they rely on detecting the chemicals your body produces when its sick.

PCR tests detects the virus RNA that has invaded your cells, long before you body starts to detect there's a problem and wether you are sick or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,345 ✭✭✭prunudo

I don't know why i bother catching up on the night time posts. The ganging up on posters who post daily, informative posts is shocking, hanging on their one mistake or perceived thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

That’s a terrible tweet from sky leaving out which test they were talking about in the clip. Clear agenda there. Sow doubt and confusion and get the plebs back plebbing and restore the rentier commercial property sector.

Rapid tests thus far are a load of ****. They can’t test their own population let alone airports.

Germany, Iceland, Finland can though. We’d rather spend money giving businesses endless loans rather than dealing with the problem. If we invested that money on proper test and trace then those businesses wouldn’t need the load.
    We love zombie companies here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 466 ✭✭DangerScouse

fritzelly wrote: »
    Need to open the country and the pubs - this will be Mad Max if it goes on much longer

1 or 2?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Very good video covering latest developments. Michael T. Osterholm has real creds and experience in this area. He's brilliant but I love his attitude too. After last interview there said "could you have me back in two weeks so I can correct any of the mistakes I'm making today because of new knowledge"

The book deadliest enemy is a must read for any armchair epidemiologist. Does a weekly update podcast also.
    Mike Osterholm returns to JAMA's Q&A series to discuss the latest developments in the COVID-19 pandemic. He is Director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP) at University of Minnesota and a veteran of pandemic planning.

previous info from June

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement