Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIV-37,063 ROI (1,801 deaths) 12,886 NI (582 deaths) (02/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

What about airline employees? Shop owners? People who have had their wages cut massively and are struggling to pay their bills?

And almost the whole entertainment industry . Film production , theatre , music,gigs, concerts, etc all on hold and a huge amount of people out of work .
    I have a relative in that industry who hasn’t worked since March

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

GooglePlus wrote: »
    And then he said.. let there be ****e memes.

Which day was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

What about airline employees? Shop owners? People who have had their wages cut massively and are struggling to pay their bills?

You haven't seen any interviews with Airline owners?

Retail have had a V shaped recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Which day was that?

It wasn't near the first week. It was actually a few days before they crucified Christ.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Boggles wrote: »
    Retail have had a V shaped recovery.
    Even if they're back to pre-March sales, they're likely to get a massive slap downwards in Dublin if NPHET get their way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

ixoy wrote: »
    Even if they're back to pre-March sales, they're likely to get a massive slap downwards in Dublin if NPHET get their way.

What's the latest rumours of what NPHET are advising there?

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    What's the latest rumours of what NPHET are advising there?
    They're itching for Level 4 thus closing all non-essential shops again.

This will hit most people either directly or indirectly, 2008 will look like a walk in the park.

There actually hasn't been a whole lot of talk about the economic consequences, which I'd say is intentionally done in an attempt to keep the public on board with restrictions when they come or go. The media have touched on reductions in economy size now and again but nothing substantial or maybe I've just missed it.

Things might change come budget time in October though.

Retail are up on last year as a whole.

But it is not if "NPHET get their way".

It's if the "Virus gets it way".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Another nice assumption there on Pat Kenny and Luke O'Neill

PK: "With all of our measures we should have far less flu."
    LON: "Yes and in Australia they had huge decrease in flu"

Yes they did. They also didn't let anybody in or out without quarantine.

We've a slightly different set up here so I wouldn't count on it.

Kids are perfectly good vectors for flu. I hope the focus on ventilation will mitigate it massively. (kids don't wear masks).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-europe-isle-of-man-53868709

This is the level of restrictions we need here in Ireland. The Isle of man has very low covid cases because the fine or jail people breaking quarantine.

That's what we need here. It was reported a few weeks ago that some was asked to isolate because she was a close contact of a positive case. She didn't do that and she continued her work in a care home.

Yesterday someone on the nhpet team said a close contact of a confirmed case was instructed to isolate. They ignored it and went to a party and covid cases arose from that.

If we had proper repercussions in place for people breaking the guidelines, we would hopefully be able to get this under control. As it is cases are increasing and I can only see them going up from here on in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

They're itching for Level 4 thus closing all non-essential shops again.

I think you are wrong. They are itching for level 5.

Kids are perfectly good vectors for flu. I hope the focus on ventilation will mitigate it massively. (kids don't wear masks).

Oz closed their borders and quarantined.

They also had the majority of the schools closed at the start of the Flu season so reservoirs couldn't build up, that as well as vaccinating 2 million extra people as well as lockdowns and restrictions is why they had a very very mild flu season.

We are depending on Social Distancing and the hope that flu vaccine works and enough people get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

But it is not if "NPHET get their way".

It's if the "Virus gets it way".

Are you saying that retail is up on last year?

No, the CSO are.

https://www.cso.ie/en/statistics/services/retailsalesindex/

Oz closed their borders and quarantined.

They also had the majority of the schools closed at the start of the Flu season so reservoirs couldn't build up, that as well as vaccinating 2 million extra people as well as lockdowns and restrictions is why they had a very very mild flu season.

We are depending on Social Distancing and the hope that flu vaccine works and enough people get it.

I've had never really given the flu much thought coming into its season until now. What are our hospitalisations/ICUs like each year with the flu? I know it's their busiest time of year but do we have figures?

Defo including online.

Sure what else have people to be spending their money on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭Call me Al

He is such a plague

And yet people insist on quoting and retweeting here unfortunately.
    He's not qualified and yet they still think he knows more than an actual expert like Cillian de Gascun to talk about the disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,399 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I don't see how that can be true, after falls of 43% and 26% in April and May vis a vis the same months in 2019.
    An increase of 6% in July v 2019 isn't going to balance that out. Though it is an encouraging sign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I don't see how that can be true, after falls of 43% and 26% in April and May vis a vis the same months in 2019.
    An increase of 6% in July v 2019 isn't going to balance that out. Though it is an encouraging sign.

I expect the food retailers are skewing the figures.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

owlbethere wrote: »
    This is the level of restrictions we need here in Ireland. The Isle of man has very low covid cases because the fine or jail people breaking quarantine.

You are very keen to lock people up. With your track record on comments it is clear you have a very twisted mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Decrease in flu, but Australia especially NSW had loads of Rhino virus.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Decrease in flu, but Australia especially NSW had loads of Rhino virus.

But that was very localised....in the zoo

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Depends on the type of retailer.

Even supermarkets have reported some flagging sales. Their average spend per visit is up, but the number of visits is down, and total profits too - people are doing a "big shop" once or twice a week, but they're not popping in every morning for fresh rolls or a cup of coffee or some cakes - the high-margin items that supermarkets and petrol stations make a killing on.

2020 will be a bad year for most, but should see a bounce in 2021 as businesses adjust their model to encourage more sales, and people become a bit more relaxed about discretionary shopping.

I see Tubridy has Dr. Anthony Fauci on the Late Late Show this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,399 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

seamus wrote: »
    Depends on the type of retailer.

Even supermarkets have reported some flagging sales. Their average spend per visit is up, but the number of visits is down, and total profits too - people are doing a "big shop" once or twice a week, but they're not popping in every morning for fresh rolls or a cup of coffee or some cakes - the high-margin items that supermarkets and petrol stations make a killing on.

2020 will be a bad year for most, but should see a bounce in 2021 as businesses adjust their model to encourage more sales, and people become a bit more relaxed about discretionary shopping.

By the way, this is where I was getting my figures from when I replied to poster Boggles
    https://tradingeconomics.com/ireland/retail-sales-annual
    Big falls over months 3-5 and small gains since that won't cover the falls.

Probably one of those things that a different graph or suppression of some markets/products could see a totally different result, so he is not necessarily wrong either.

I'd guess as you say that the high margin stuff is down. The €250 wedding outfit, the holiday clothes, the haircuts, new cars. Hell I haven't had to buy a white shirt all year, €3 t-shirts have done for wfh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I see Tubridy has Dr. Anthony Fauci on the Late Late Show this week.

Thankfully because we hear so little about Covid from our National broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

GooglePlus wrote: »
    This will hit most people either directly or indirectly, 2008 will look like a walk in the park.

There actually hasn't been a whole lot of talk about the economic consequences, which I'd say is intentionally done in an attempt to keep the public on board with restrictions when they come or go. The media have touched on reductions in economy size now and again but nothing substantial or maybe I've just missed it.

Things might change come budget time in October though.

There has been plenty of talk about the economic fallout. The UK have cancelled their 2021 budget due to covid and Brexit as the situation is too fluid.

We are moving ahead with ours. Don't expect too may tax hikes on PAYE, PRSI, USC.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/donohoe-on-budget-2021-no-new-income-tax-usc-or-prsi-1.4356707

By the way, this is where I was getting my figures from when I replied to poster Boggles
    https://tradingeconomics.com/ireland/retail-sales-annual
    Big falls over months 3-5 and small gains since that won't cover the falls.

Probably one of those things that a different graph or suppression of some markets/products could see a totally different result, so he is not necessarily wrong either.

I'd guess as you say that the high margin stuff is down. The €250 wedding outfit, the holiday clothes, the haircuts, new cars. Hell I haven't had to buy a white shirt all year, €3 t-shirts have done for wfh.

There are enough clothes in the world to clothe the worlds population for something like 4/5 generations.

• Advertisement

There wasn't an increase of 6% in July.

It's an annual 6.4% increase on last year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement