Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIV-37,063 ROI (1,801 deaths) 12,886 NI (582 deaths) (02/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

AdamD wrote: »
    Ah here. Is this the real world? In that case they may as well not bother with a testing system at all. And not bother attempting to keep their sport and livelihoods going.

Thankfully they're using a bit more sense.

I was poking fun at a conversation being had last night.

This is the real world though or so I've been led to believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭beaz2018

No what he said was a vaccine may not come, he never said no vaccine. I'll quote it,

"It may not happen and it certainly may not happen in the next six to 12 months,"

Thats none committal either way.

Those involved in vaccine development would disagree with him though.

If there is even a doubt that there wont be one next year, then this lunacy needs to spot now. The costs are just too horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Roger_007 wrote: »
    McConkey is enjoying his celebrity status a wee bit too much.:rolleyes:

His ego has gone through the roof since he got his hair cut

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

At the start we went with 15% hospitalisation and 5% severe. Now we're down to 2.5% and 0.2%. The more we learn about the true spread these numbers will continue to decrease.

:confused:

If you are implementing a herd immunity strategy those numbers in real terms will increase not decrease.

At a 2.5% hospitalization rate which obviously will increase too, at a very Conservative 5,000 infections a day that translates to 125 daily hospitalizations every 24 hours.

Our health system would probably last a month at best, that is even before we even consider the amount of sickness that run through our medical professionals.

So no we shouldn't implement a strategy based on guess work and listening to glaring fúcking incoherent lunatics via zoom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Boggles wrote: »
    :confused:

If you are implementing a herd immunity strategy those numbers in real terms will increase not decrease.

At a 2.5% hospitalization rate which obviously will increase too, at a very Conservative 5,000 infections a day that translates to 125 daily hospitalizations every 24 hours.

Our health system would probably last a month at best, that is even before we even consider the amount of sickness that run through our medical professionals.

Woah, Mr Optimistic over here :pac:;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Leo a close contact and restricting movement

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

His ego has gone through the roof since he got his hair cut

I did notice that all during the lockdown when all barbers, hairdressers and other personal services were closed down, that all our celebrity experts all appeared well groomed when they appeared on TV.
    How did they manage that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

Stricter and longer restrictions will just lead us back to the exact same place in January.

If we start telling people now your lives are going to be heavily restricted (I.e level 4 or 5) well into 2021, a large percentage won’t bother any more. You’ll have hundreds and hundreds of cases coming back from large family gatherings at Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I did notice that all during the lockdown when all barbers, hairdressers and other personal services were closed down, that all our celebrity experts all appeared well groomed when they appeared on TV.
    How did they manage that?

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSp7vWmbjBn93FUxOUJL28PACOLQoaRQJlyTQ&usqp=CAU

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

beaz2018 wrote: »
    If there is even a doubt that there wont be one next year, then this lunacy needs to spot now. The costs are just too horrific.

4fytid.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

alentejo wrote: »
    Schools must continue to open and teach as much as possible. Yes, it is entirely that individual schools or classes might need to close on a 2/3 week basis, however any closures should be minimal. I think people need to take some of the hysteria about school cases.

Closing schools will cause long term damage to children which will last way beyond the pandemic. The damage to children will be amplified to poor and more disadvantaged children

There are a few here who would like to see the schools closed and can't see any problems, either with children's development or those who may suffer from other issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

AdamD wrote: »
    If they don't envisage a vacccine in 2021 then these restrictions are a farce. That would mean NPHET are expecting to implement restrictions for 21+ months. That would utterly destroy the country.

Utterly destroy the world... that's what pandemics do. This is not just a country issue, it's a global issue and like with climate change, we are trying to solve it based on subjective administrations within imaginary border lines on a map. We can't even have a common approach on our own small damp rock with different approaches being adopted north and south. I hope that in the far future we will be judged to be as stupid as we are, to be haggling over carved up land while two catastrophic issues that don't respect borders, rage on around us.

What's the solution... let it rip, dig a great big hole for the bodies and adopt a Darwinism approach - survival of the fittest/luckiest?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 466 ✭✭DangerScouse

There are a few here who would like to see the schools closed and can't see any problems, either with children's development or those who may suffer from other issues.

Nobody wants to see the schools closed that's one of the reasons we are making these sacrifices. If some pubs go out of business then so be it. The health of our nation and the mental health of our kids is what i care about.

Is it correct the high cases in parts of Dublin are all along the Luas line?

Nobody wants to see the schools closed that's one of the reasons we are making these sacrifices. If some pubs go out of business then so be it. The health of our nation and the mental health of our kids is what i care about.

I suggest you read back through a few of yesterday's page if you believe no one wants the schools closed.

So are you saying that we are not all in this together?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I don't think so, last I heard highest rates were in North West working class areas of Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

No

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

The health of our nation and the mental health of our kids is what i care about.

You must be also very concerned about the shutdown of cancer screening services, deaths from undetected strokes/heart disease and lockdown related suicides this year I take it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

bb1234567 wrote: »
    I don't think so, last I heard highest rates were in North West working class areas of Dublin.

Are there any areas of Dublin where people don’t have to work for a living?

You must be also very concerned about the shutdown of cancer screening services, deaths from undetected strokes/heart disease and lockdown related suicides this year I take it.

Of course. But the thread is about Covid19. You should start a thread about those issues.

So are you saying that we are not all in this together?

Health before wealth my friend.

They are not mutually exclusive, only someone who is willfully naive fails to see this.

Would like to see the Government/NPHET reaction to Covid if their own wealth was on the line.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Of course. But the thread is about Covid19. You should start a thread about those issues.
    But the halting of screening services was directly related to Covid-19 so very much suited to this thread.

ixoy wrote: »
    But the halting of screening services was directly related to Covid-19 so very much suited to this thread.

Exactly so it deserves it's own thread no?

I recorded PT last night , I was unable to watch it yesterday.
    The Oxford professor tore Ryan a new one a few times, particularly his claim of infection rates in society. A very public slapdown. I was embarrassed for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Would like to see the Government/NPHET reaction to Covid if their own wealth was on the line.

if senior civil servants and NPHET were on the covid payment.
    this would be over

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Burn down the Luas just in case!

(I jest, I jest)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement